1200 Calories some sort of sin??

Options

Replies

• fortysixpounds
    fortysixpounds Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    The problem with mfp is that a lot of people on here 'think' they're an expert except they're not experts at all. Some of it is well-intention-ed but a lot of it is just arrogance and ignorance which is just the worst combination and unfortunately a common combination on these forums. Unfortunately many people on here are just big know-it-alls and they would in fact try to contradict God himself given the opportunity. I'm really sorry that you've encountered this. Try not to let it get to you and don't argue with them, here's why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcPfWt0l0V8
    (48 second vid that'll make you smile)

Wish you the absolute best with your weightloss journey :flowerforyou:
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Tagging - 1200
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    So noted. You are following your doctor's recommendation. Please, carry on.

This.

If I had a nickel for every time a person crashes a thread with "well, I'm older/physically disabled/morbidly obese/under a doctor's care/metabolically compromised."

People are usually not talking about you. They are usually talking to someone in their mid-twenties who is otherwise healthy and trying to lose a few pounds of vanity weight by starving themselves.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'm on the 1200 cal diet until I get to a level of weight that my knees can handle more impact and more strenuous exercise. Some people may have an issue with that diet plan as it may cause metabolic rate changes that are hard to reverse. But other than that, who cares? I don't. And you shouldn't care either. You need to do what works for you and ignore comments from others that may be coming from insensitivity or just plain ignorance. Find those here that are supportive, not condescending and belittling. You will find those people wherever you go in life. Ignore them and stay positive. Keep working and doing what you're doing.
    so a 52 year of man is eating 1200 calories a day. Ok have fun I take it you have some aversion to keeping muscle but hey carry on
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    The problem with mfp is that a lot of people on here 'think' they're an expert except they're not experts at all. Some of it is well-intention-ed but a lot of it is just arrogance and ignorance which is just the worst combination and unfortunately a common combination on these forums. Unfortunately many people on here are just big know-it-alls and they would in fact try to contradict God himself given the opportunity. I'm really sorry that you've encountered this. Try not to let it get to you and don't argue with them, here's why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcPfWt0l0V8
    (48 second vid that'll make you smile)

Wish you the absolute best with your weightloss journey :flowerforyou:

but, how do you really feel about MFP peeps? :laugh:

Lots of good information to be gleaned here but you won't be spoon-fed. It is your responsibility to figure out what will apply to you & what won't. Good luck with it, if you decide to stick it out, it's well worth the perceived snark you suffer while feeling sensitive. Promise. :flowerforyou:
  • Philp0718
    Philp0718 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You're following a doctor's order for your medical condition(s). Carry on doing what your doing.

In most cases however, 1200 is the bare minimum a woman should consume on a daily basis to meet adequate nutrition and NOT cause long-term health issues. 1800 bare minimum for men. This is why some people get on others cases when they say they are exercising, wanting to lose weight, get healthy and only eating at 1200, netting less than 1000, you could simply be doing more harm than good.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I think the people who think it's too low for them often mean "I can't stick to my diet at that level because it's hard".

There is an exaggerated belief here that you can lose a lot less lean body mass from slower weight loss and that for some reason today's workout calories ought to come from today's food.

And the common opinion that not losing at a shallow deficit is doing it wrong and destined for failure and it means you're misinformed and impatient.

You really don't think much of people who disagree with your beliefs on low calorie diets. I would love to know how much you eat a day as your profile is empty and diary is locked.

It's too low for me because after a couple of weeks on 1200 - yes I tried it - I was tired but not sleeping well, had no energy at work let alone to go out and exercise and my skin looked like crap.

I was hitting my macros eating a balanced diet - but I was miserable. It wasn't hard to stick to the number, it was hard because I felt like crap.

Now I eat anywhere from 1300 - 2000 a day to lose and I feel much happier, sleep better and have energy. Oh and I still lose weight. (1300 is a day where I do nothing, truly nothing - just slug on the couch the whole day)

The belief that people lose more lean mass at a higher deficit has been discussed over and over again - and despite you claiming otherwise you have never provided any studies that are relevant and prove your argument.

I'll follow the science and the people who have successful lost and kept it off, have open profiles and diary's, post pictures of themselves and look great at their goal weight. I believe those people over locked profiles who argue for LCD every day of the week.

99% of the time they have lost with a shallow deficit. And they keep it off. :flowerforyou:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Anyone's calorie intake is based on age. I am a grandmother so I do fine with 1200 calories a day. Now someone who is 21 years old, needs more.

This!^

Calories SHOULD be dependent upon height/weight/age......too often people accept 1200.

OP: find your BMR and your TDEE.....does 1200 fall somewhere between? ....If yes, no worries.
  • heyyimhayley
    Options
    I wasn't aware that anyone gave anyone a hard time about it? I'm 5'1 and only 10lbs overweight. I recently switched from 1200 to eating a little less than 1100 a day... I still get 100g of protein a day and eat fruits and vegetables...what would be the issue? I'm not going hungry or anything.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    I wasn't aware that anyone gave anyone a hard time about it? I'm 5'1 and only 10lbs overweight. I recently switched from 1200 to eating a little less than 1100 a day... I still get 100g of protein a day and eat fruits and vegetables...what would be the issue? I'm not going hungry or anything.

Sigh.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    You really don't think much of people who disagree with your beliefs on low calorie diets. I would love to know how much you eat a day as your profile is locked down.
    I like the people just fine. I don't like the spread of misinformation and treating people who choose a different method than you as misinformed.

What you choose to eat is up to you. No one's trying to talk you into anything. My intake is irrelevant but my profile pic is pretty indicative of an average day for me during weight loss (1300ish).

I've posted and posted and posted studies and evidence and usually anything I post is brushed off. Almost no one posts studies that support their side. They seem to believe it because some people with pretty tickers and pics believe it. Someone did post two studies in the argument yesterday but they were about protein intake, not calories.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You really don't think much of people who disagree with your beliefs on low calorie diets. I would love to know how much you eat a day as your profile is locked down.
    I like the people just fine. I don't like the spread of misinformation and treating people who choose a different method than you as misinformed.

What you choose to eat is up to you. No one's trying to talk you into anything. My intake is irrelevant but my profile pic is pretty indicative of an average day for me during weight loss (1300ish).

I've posted and posted and posted studies and evidence and usually anything I post is brushed off. Almost no one posts studies that support their side. They seem to believe it because some people with pretty tickers and pics believe it. Someone did post two studies in the argument yesterday but they were about protein intake, not calories.

You literally called people who disagree with you misinformed a few posts back. Which is it?
    And the common opinion that not losing at a shallow deficit is doing it wrong and destined for failure and it means you're misinformed and impatient.

Your reason for not posting studies is a straw man argument.
  • heyyimhayley
    Options

Sigh.

What?
  • cristyfarah11
    cristyfarah11 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!!!!!!!
    I did the 1200 cals a day diet, and it worked WONDERS. I lost a lot of weight, and it kind of kickstarted my metabolism. Once I reached my goal weight I upped the calories to 1700 and didn't gain weight.
    Do what your doctor says and LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!! my body told me that 1200 cals was enough for a day, I had enough energy, and was always full.
    Don't listen to haters.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

There's honestly no issue unless you find it too restrictive, find yourself hungry, find yourself feeling tired, and so on.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

I may have seen you post a couple links but the one time I bothered to follow the discussion, you put the gal on ignore when she asked some follow up questions and challenged the relevance of the link. Why bother posting them if you're not open to further discussion or if you'll just call it "brushing off". That coupled with the closed diary, profile, etc. The "other side" does appear to be providing a ton more information to support their position.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

I may have seen you post a couple links but the one time I bothered to follow the discussion, you put the gal on ignore when she asked some follow up questions and challenged the relevance of the link. Why bother posting them if you're not open to further discussion or if you'll just call it "brushing off". That coupled with the closed diary, profile, etc. The "other side" does appear to be providing a ton more information to support their position.

Not to mention the fact that most of the studies she does post are irrelevant (to the discussion at hand) or do not prove that VLCD are better.

Quick question - if you think VLCD are better why are you not doing one?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

You literally called people who disagree with you misinformed a few posts back. Which is it?

Your reason for not posting studies is a straw man argument.
    I've posted and posted. Maybe I should make a profile with ab pics and a long ticker instead and open my diary since that seems to be what is considered 'authoritative' here.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

If you look back at that thread from yesterday, you'll see people acknowledging that there are crash diets/VLEDs out there that minimize the risks (e.g., Lyle's UFLD and other PSMF variants) but there are still some risks to these diets, particularly when they're done for any substantial length of time, and as a general matter VLEDs are unnecessary for simple weight loss which is what most people are looking for on this site. The reason most people try to discourage these extreme diets is that most people I see eating a pittance of calories are not following one of these well-designed plans and instead are following something nonsensical (e.g., a juice cleanse, I've even seen a cheerios-only, no milk allowed, VLED which is beyond stupid). I think the problem people tend to have is you seem to be completely dismissive of the potential consequences of VLED's, but those consequences do exist (especially if you're only eating 600 calories of cheerios a day). I'd also say that your own 1300 calorie day is not a VLED and isn't at all the same as the extreme diets you were trying to justify yesterday as being completely fine, suggesting that the potential consequences of such diets are just "myths."
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Phew! Really glad you posted this. Thanks.