Body Pump vs Lifting. Help!

Options
1234568»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    SL doesn't even want you to do cardio on rest days?

it's a rest day- why would you do cardio?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Because your heart doesn't need rest days.

I'm joking, though. I don't think BP is mainly cardio so I wouldn't do it between two SL days, either, of course. :smile:
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Heavy is subjective. It's based on rep ranges, not on poundages. If your muscles completely give out on you after only a single digit number of reps, you're lifting heavy. Doesn't matter if that's 2 lbs, 20 lbs, or 200 lbs.
    Lol, I'll agree with this, but sometimes the subjectivity can be overcome with common sense. I had a female client once (well over 200lbs at 5'6") whine about lifting 5lbs weights, yet she would walk in carrying in and out a 15lb daughter with ease. Sometimes one does need to "call out" those who dramatize how "heavy" those 2lbs dumbells are on some exercises like curls.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I've always wondered about that, Niner. I only have my personal experience to go on, but when I was a teenager, before I did any kind of weight or resistance training, I had no problems lifting or moving objects or carrying the small kids in my family, but I was a wuss when I added weights to my exercise routine. I had no problem carrying my 20 pound dog and remember one time when I had to carry him home several blocks because he'd run away and I forgot to grab his leash when I went looking for him. When we moved, I was the person helping with the heavier boxes and I was the one who moved furniture around on my mom's heavy cleaning days. But after I decided to add weights and resistance to my exercise routine and boy, howdy! Using three pound weights hurt, especially on shoulder presses. I whined and cried (internally). I couldn't even do knee pushups. The only explanation I can think of is that I was relying more on my leg strength to move/carry things without realizing it.

Even now, though I can pick up the 40 pound kitty litter with one hand and put it in the grocery cart, can carry all my groceries up the stairs to my apartment in one trip, and move 50-60 pound boxes at work on a regular basis, upper body exercises still kill me (I do mostly bodyweight and sometimes use moderate weights). I don't know. Picking up and carrying things just feels different than doing sets of exercises.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Because your heart doesn't need rest days.

I'm joking, though. I don't think BP is mainly cardio so I wouldn't do it between two SL days, either, of course. :smile:

LOL

I am a full blown- I sit on my *kitten* and do nothing on my rest day kind of person- none of this "active rest day" nonsense- LOL it's good for some people- but between lift and dance- when I get a down day- I'm all about my oreos and coffee and a good trashy TV show!!!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    SL doesn't even want you to do cardio on rest days?

There's no issue with doing cardio, but not all forms of cardio are equal. And you have to be doing cardio that doesn't stress the muscles that are trying to recover from the workout the day before (and Bodypump definitely does).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    Heavy is subjective. It's based on rep ranges, not on poundages. If your muscles completely give out on you after only a single digit number of reps, you're lifting heavy. Doesn't matter if that's 2 lbs, 20 lbs, or 200 lbs.
    Lol, I'll agree with this, but sometimes the subjectivity can be overcome with common sense. I had a female client once (well over 200lbs at 5'6") whine about lifting 5lbs weights, yet she would walk in carrying in and out a 15lb daughter with ease. Sometimes one does need to "call out" those who dramatize how "heavy" those 2lbs dumbells are on some exercises like curls.

IDEA Fitness member

I've always wondered about that, Niner. I only have my personal experience to go on, but when I was a teenager, before I did any kind of weight or resistance training, I had no problems lifting or moving objects or carrying the small kids in my family, but I was a wuss when I added weights to my exercise routine. I had no problem carrying my 20 pound dog and remember one time when I had to carry him home several blocks because he'd run away and I forgot to grab his leash when I went looking for him. When we moved, I was the person helping with the heavier boxes and I was the one who moved furniture around on my mom's heavy cleaning days. But after I decided to add weights and resistance to my exercise routine and boy, howdy! Using three pound weights hurt, especially on shoulder presses. I whined and cried (internally). I couldn't even do knee pushups. The only explanation I can think of is that I was relying more on my leg strength to move/carry things without realizing it.

Even now, though I can pick up the 40 pound kitty litter with one hand and put it in the grocery cart, can carry all my groceries up the stairs to my apartment in one trip, and move 50-60 pound boxes at work on a regular basis, upper body exercises still kill me (I do mostly bodyweight and sometimes use moderate weights). I don't know. Picking up and carrying things just feels different than doing sets of exercises.
    I've had many tell me the same. It's a mentality though. Moving, picking things one HAS to do (like kids, animals, boxes, food) doesn't seem to bother them, but lifting weights (when they may not have any desire to do so) mentally stuns them. Having to do repetitions (even though things like shoveling dirt or snow are repetitious and hard work) with weights for many females is BORING, yet jumping around and wearing weighed hand gloves for Zumba is doable. Funny to me.

IDEA Fitness member
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I've had many tell me the same. It's a mentality though. Moving, picking things one HAS to do (like kids, animals, boxes, food) doesn't seem to bother them, but lifting weights (when they may not have any desire to do so) mentally stuns them. Having to do repetitions (even though things like shoveling dirt or snow are repetitious and hard work) with weights for many females is BORING, yet jumping around and wearing weighed hand gloves for Zumba is doable. Funny to me.

lord - so true. I don't understand either.
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

So I basically have to woman up? :)

I used weighted gloves for my Turbo Fire cardio and ended up pinching a nerve in my shoulder, so that was the end of that.

I don't find weights and resistance boring. I actually prefer my resistance days to cardio. I just hate the burn on upper body exercises and am actually relieved when it's a leg day. I do just tell myself, "don't be a wimp" and push through. I do push ups on my toes now and tricep push ups, which I thought I'd never be able to do. I still hate overhead presses with a passion though. I think my shoulders are just my weakest point. I'm going to challenge myself to improve that.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

So I basically have to woman up? :)

I used weighted gloves for my Turbo Fire cardio and ended up pinching a nerve in my shoulder, so that was the end of that.

I don't find weights and resistance boring. I actually prefer my resistance days to cardio. I just hate the burn on upper body exercises and am actually relieved when it's a leg day. I do just tell myself, "don't be a wimp" and push through. I do push ups on my toes now and tricep push ups, which I thought I'd never be able to do. I still hate overhead presses with a passion though. I think my shoulders are just my weakest point. I'm going to challenge myself to improve that.
    2 of the main goals I have with EVERY female client I have is:

1. Doing push ups on toes
    2. Doing at least 1 body weight pull up

IMO, conquering these 2 for any female is one of the best confidence builders (as well as physique changers) they can do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • KettyLoyd
    Options
    I would keep doing the high rep./ lighter weights in Body Pump. I would say that if you are not experiencing pain, you can even increase your weight. The more muscle on your body the more calories you burn all day long. That being said, I understand your desire to not add bulk. For that reason, you may wish to stretch longer than the five or so minutes at the end of class. Also, go to Body flow, or a Pilates class if your gym offers them. If not, the Internet is a great place to learn some of those lengthening, stretching moves - your core will thank you and you see the long lean muscle you are after.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I would keep doing the high rep./ lighter weights in Body Pump. I would say that if you are not experiencing pain, you can even increase your weight. The more muscle on your body the more calories you burn all day long. That being said, I understand your desire to not add bulk. For that reason, you may wish to stretch longer than the five or so minutes at the end of class. Also, go to Body flow, or a Pilates class if your gym offers them. If not, the Internet is a great place to learn some of those lengthening, stretching moves - your core will thank you and you see the long lean muscle you are after.

that is not how ANY of that works.
  • llamajenn
    llamajenn Posts: 34 Member
    Options

that is not how ANY of that works.

Which part? A pound of muscle does burn a few extra calories more than a pound of fat (not as much as some may expect, but it's something).
    I agree with stretching being important. I'm not sure about how it has anything to do with not adding bulk though.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I would keep doing the high rep./ lighter weights in Body Pump. I would say that if you are not experiencing pain, you can even increase your weight. The more muscle on your body the more calories you burn all day long.
    Muscle isn't built on high reps/light weight regimens and also in a calorie deficit.
    That being said, I understand your desire to not add bulk. For that reason, you may wish to stretch longer than the five or so minutes at the end of class.
    What does stretching do to deter "bulking"? Bulking is a result of an increase in muscle/fat/glycogen and water in the cells.
    Also, go to Body flow, or a Pilates class if your gym offers them. If not, the Internet is a great place to learn some of those lengthening, stretching moves - your core will thank you and you see the long lean muscle you are after.
    Stretching and flexibility don't make muscles longer. The only way for that to happen is to detach it from the bone and then stretch it, then reattach it to the bone. That's usually done by surgery.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition