How do you handle tantrums?

Options

Replies

• tr3kkie9rl
    tr3kkie9rl Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I feel like I came off all wrong in my posts... I need to work on my communication skills. My kids aren't perfect (neither am I, for sure!), they fight with each other and can be just as "bratty" as any other kid at times. I apologize to anyone who thought I was implying I'm a better parent than you.
    I don't know what you're so worried about. You sounded polite, generous and reasonably pleasant to me, despite the provocative spirit of this thread. I'm not a parent but I can spot a sanctimommy a mile away and you don't seem to be one. :flowerforyou:

I think I take things too personally sometimes. Just something to work on personally I suppose
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I feel like I came off all wrong in my posts... I need to work on my communication skills. My kids aren't perfect (neither am I, for sure!), they fight with each other and can be just as "bratty" as any other kid at times. I apologize to anyone who thought I was implying I'm a better parent than you.
    I don't know what you're so worried about. You sounded polite, generous and reasonably pleasant to me, despite the provocative spirit of this thread. I'm not a parent but I can spot a sanctimommy a mile away and you don't seem to be one. :flowerforyou:
    It was the "I have this knowledge that the rest of you don't -- but it's not your fault!" that bugged me.

Also that what she said about her kids wasn't entirely true and it came across as if your kids have tantrums, you're not parenting right.

But I appreciate the apology and I'm sorry I was harsh. I just wish more people would get that you can be the most perfect parent on the planet and still have kids who act out.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    It was the "I have this knowledge that the rest of you don't -- but it's not your fault!" that bugged me.

Also that what she said about her kids wasn't entirely true and it came across as if your kids have tantrums, you're not parenting right.

But I appreciate the apology and I'm sorry I was harsh. I just wish more people would get that you can be the most perfect parent on the planet and still have kids who act out.

Just saw this was going on. I might add that while her original post raised my hackles a bit, she is genuinely trying to be helpful, and now we are friends, so that's all fine and dandy. Also, where did midwestern kid hater go?
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options

Just saw this was going on. I might add that while her original post raised my hackles a bit, she is genuinely trying to be helpful, and now we are friends, so that's all fine and dandy. Also, where did midwestern kid hater go?

I think he is sitting on a park bench by himself feeding pigeons.
  • rml_16
    Options

Hopefully he's somewhere surrounded by screaming children.

It was the phrasing. It's one thing to say, "This is what I do, and these are the results." So, yeah, my issue was the phrasing.

But I've probably been guilty of that sin myself.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    Options
    I don't ever remember my (3) boys having one. If they did, it was only once! Game over
  • tr3kkie9rl
    tr3kkie9rl Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    rml_16 and veganbettie - thank you both for pointing out my phrasing. Miscommunication on my part is a residual issue of abnormal socialization during my childhood... a different story altogether lol! In any case, I appreciate your input :)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    My mother had a warning system. She would give 1 warning. If after warning my siblings the tantrum continued, we left the store/mall/restaurant. Very often, my mom was alone at the grocery store with the 3 of us and she had to step outside while her full cart waited for her inside. She would sit outside with us and wait. And wait. No toys. No conversation. No reasoning. Just waiting. Eventually, without any more fuel, the tantrumer knocked it off. She would ask if we were ready to go back into the store. She would wait until we said "yes, mom." Then we went back in.

Thanks for this methodology. I like it and will use it

Yes. Good endgame strategy.

I was out with a friend of mine and his 4 year old nephew was in tow. We were mall shopping and sat down to eat at a sandwich joint. The kid had already been indulged with some toys and trinkets while shopping.

Now the kid was ordering his choice of lunch at the restaurant. No hassle. It took about 5 minutes longer than usual to be served lunch. It was busy.

The kid started whining and wouldn't stop.

I can see pouting. I can see complaining a bit. I can even see whining to a point, but the kid just wouldn't stop. He was hungry, I know. We all were. But when the whining turned into a tantrum once the plate was put in front of the kid because there were chopped onions on the side next to the hot dog, my friend abruptly removed the hot dog from the kids hand as he was about to bite into it, returned it to the plate, gave the plate to the waitress and asked for the check.

He paid and we left.

The kid was flabbergasted. He didn't utter a word. He said nothing on the ride home. And, according to my friend, he never pulled the brat card on uncle again. I've always respected my friend so much, since then, for the way he handled that.

Wonderful. That is a great way to handle it. There is no reason to let a kid pitch a tantrum, especially in public. They must learn that annoying behavior means they will NOT get what they want.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Nope, I still return to this every once in awhile to see if there are any other comments about me. I don't know about feeding pigeons, but I'm still feeding trolls (as you can see).

Believe it or not, I was just at the grocery store the other day and there was a kid that kept bugging me. The kid was there with her grandma, who knows me and somehow thinks we are friends or something (we used to work together, and she started to like me probably because I tried to be helpful... it was work and not personal) so she tried to stop and talk to me. Her grand-daughter picked up on the idea that I was a "friend" and started to bother me immediately (seriously, in less than 3 seconds upon first contact. I only gave very brief responses as I continued moving in a different direction.

Later, she came up behind me in the checkout line, and I just ignored both of them even as the girl came up and tried to pull on my arm. I didn't look at her, I didn't talk to her, I just tried to pretend I didn't know they were even there. That made the girl try even harder to engage me... she was literally trying to swing from my arm at one point (though she wouldn't know it, this is also the same arm connected to the shoulder that has had surgery after 12 dislocations).

What did I do? I just ignored it. Though I really should have been stern with both of them. Why?! Because even though I do not like unruly kids (and things like that make me like them less), I actually do try to be civil. But ignoring the kid's behavior not only did not help, it actually caused the behavior to escalate.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

Nope, I still return to this every once in awhile to see if there are any other comments about me. I don't know about feeding pigeons, but I'm still feeding trolls (as you can see).

Believe it or not, I was just at the grocery store the other day and there was a kid that kept bugging me. The kid was there with her grandma, who knows me and somehow thinks we are friends or something (we used to work together, and she started to like me probably because I tried to be helpful... it was work and not personal) so she tried to stop and talk to me. Her grand-daughter picked up on the idea that I was a "friend" and started to bother me immediately (seriously, in less than 3 seconds upon first contact. I only gave very brief responses as I continued moving in a different direction.

Later, she came up behind me in the checkout line, and I just ignored both of them even as the girl came up and tried to pull on my arm. I didn't look at her, I didn't talk to her, I just tried to pretend I didn't know they were even there. That made the girl try even harder to engage me... she was literally trying to swing from my arm at one point (though she wouldn't know it, this is also the same arm connected to the shoulder that has had surgery after 12 dislocations).

What did I do? I just ignored it. Though I really should have been stern with both of them. Why?! Because even though I do not like unruly kids (and things like that make me like them less), I actually do try to be civil. But ignoring the kid's behavior not only did not help, it actually caused the behavior to escalate.

Maybe I'm wrong, but you said the kid saw you as a friend because you were a former co-worker of Grandma?

Was the kid just being friendly toward you, child style?

To each his own, and I mean it. But I actually like friendly, funny kids and enjoy interacting with kids of that sort. It would hurt me to think of rejecting authentic harmless friendliness coming from anyone, especially a kid. Ouch!

(ETA: I was not a friendly or interactive kid myself. I was painfully shy and would avoid interaction with adults, even to the point of going off and hiding from them. I will say that I have fond memories of the few adults who made a special effort to bring me out of it, knowing they'd get nothing except maybe a blush and a ducked head. A few told me cute jokes that were funny to me, complimented my little outfit without being overbearing about it, or would bring me over a cookie from the table knowing I was too shy to go up and get it myself. I'll always remember those very kind adults who went above and beyond and didn't just ignore the shy introvert kid!)

The only thing that bugs me about kids is the brattiness factor, which is actually absent in a lot of kids. Some are very okay.

The only thing that bugs me about parents is the complicity and/or encouragement of the brattiness. Which is sometimes absent in parents. Some are okay. That and when parents assail me with constant stories of the offspring who I never met and will probably never meet. And when I have to stare at a constant stream of tiresome photographs and make the appropriate sound effects.

But maybe you are someone who really doesn't like kids period, under any circumstances. And like I said, to each his own. I won't flame you for it.

I generally do not approach other adults in public unless there is a reason to do so. As a kid, I was not particularly social with other kids either. In this case, the grandma approached me in the store because she knew me and the kid followed her lead. So it would prefer if they would both have just left me alone, but kids go beyond wanting to just chit-chat (which would even be alright if I had time or interest in the topic). This kid was trying to be clingy immediately. After our first brief conversation, as I started to walk away, the kid started to follow me before grandma told her to come back. That doesn't even make sense to me... I didn't even acknowledge she was there, but was having a very short conversation with the grandma. How does she think I want her to follow me around?

That isn't to say I don't interact with other adults... Example: Maybe I'm out on a trail and will actually be the one to start a conversation, and will engage in pleasantries until I eventually get to the point (which may be that I want to know what trail conditions, wildlife hazards, etc. are ahead). I'm sure most everyone does this - is anyone friendly just for the sake of being friendly, or is there not some other motive? It doesn't have to be something they even can define now... it could be trying to be friendly with neighbors for just in case a property line issue comes up or something.

You are basically correct - I do not like kids. Then the question comes back to: How can I get these kids to stop bothering me in the grocery store (restaurant, etc.), though? The answer is that I can't; the parent/grandma/whatever must get their kid to stop bothering me. That person might try harder if they know I don't like kids... but this woman even knew that - she kept trying to set me up with her daughter (the mom of this one), and I made it clear that I don't like kids, so that was not going to happen.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I think you did exactly waht you should have. You did NOT give in and give her what she was crying over (good job, Mom!), and you got her out of there as quickly as you could. Most people completely understand toddler meltdowns - don't worry about her having them in public, they're normal. :) Distraction IS a great thing (Darkguardian - super point), but even when they're young doesn't always work the way we want it to. If you keep NOT giving in, you guys will get past this stage. :flowerforyou:

I agree. Leaving the situation without giving her what she wants and consistently doing so will cause her tantrum stage to last as short a time as possible. Make sure her other caregivers (babysitter, grandparents, etc.) are handling it in the same way you do. Consistency is key for improving unwanted behaviors. When we were home, my mother would completely ignore my sisters and let them cry and shout until they stopped. When we were i public, our shopping trip would be cut short and she would ignore them. She'd buckle them into their carseat without getting frustrated and act like it was any other calm moment then drive home. Their tantrum phases did not last long.
  • rml_16
    Options
    How does she think I want her to follow me around?

Kids, cats and dogs will pick up on when someone doesn't like them and do their best to be as obnoxious as possible toward that person. Every time.

Maybe you should seek counseling. Really, aside from your extreme dislike of children that seems to go beyond reason, you seem to have a lot of animosity toward humans in general. That's a lot of bitterness to hold onto.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Boo yah! My kids were flawless during our trip to Great Clips today. Beforehand I provided clear instructions on my expectations that they sit and look at books if their cuts went faster than mine. I brought three of their favorite books. We typically get ice cream after and they look forward to that.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

Kids, cats and dogs will pick up on when someone doesn't like them and do their best to be as obnoxious as possible toward that person. Every time.

Maybe you should seek counseling. Really, aside from your extreme dislike of children that seems to go beyond reason, you seem to have a lot of animosity toward humans in general. That's a lot of bitterness to hold onto.

Not everyone likes everything. Would you advise someone who doesn't like snakes to seek counseling? This really is no different, except that most people do not bring snakes out to where other people will have to experience their snakes.

I disagree that I have "animosity towards humans in general." Of course, I don't expect that you could know either way from my posts regardless - there just isn't enough to know me very well.
  • rml_16
    Options

Not everyone likes everything. Would you advise someone who doesn't like snakes to seek counseling? This really is no different, except that most people do not bring snakes out to where other people will have to experience their snakes.

I disagree that I have "animosity towards humans in general." Of course, I don't expect that you could know either way from my posts regardless - there just isn't enough to know me very well.
    It's not that you don't like children. It's the way you've expressed yourself toward human beings in general.

I mean, a woman you used to work with had THE NERVE to try to say hello to you when she saw you in public. THE NERVE.

And while I think she certainly should have stopped her granddaughter from hanging all over a person like that, and I get the annoyance, you seem to feel like children shouldn't even be allowed to interact with adults who are not their parents or caregivers. Bottom line is, like them or not, they are human beings and part of our society and you have to learn to at least tolerate their presence in certain situations. And it's NORMAL to stop and say hello to someone you know when you run into that person in public, whether it's an acquaintance or a close friend or family member. This is how people behave.
  • KandGRanch
    KandGRanch Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have no kids of my own, but my mom had a two-point tantrum dispeller.
    1. Crazy eye. This was the look before the storm. I could choose to stop here.
    2. The "speaking without moving teeth" thing all moms can do-and the words uttered by every southern mom, "I am giving you to the count of three before I give you something to cry about."
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options

It's not that you don't like children. It's the way you've expressed yourself toward human beings in general.

I mean, a woman you used to work with had THE NERVE to try to say hello to you when she saw you in public. THE NERVE.

And while I think she certainly should have stopped her granddaughter from hanging all over a person like that, and I get the annoyance, you seem to feel like children shouldn't even be allowed to interact with adults who are not their parents or caregivers. Bottom line is, like them or not, they are human beings and part of our society and you have to learn to at least tolerate their presence in certain situations. And it's NORMAL to stop and say hello to someone you know when you run into that person in public, whether it's an acquaintance or a close friend or family member. This is how people behave.
    agreed. where i am from it would be considered rude if you saw someone you know and didnt at least give a smile and a little hello
  • 115s
    115s Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I never threw tantrums because when I was growing up I always had a discussion about action vs reaction. Got my tiny noodle noodling. Try that.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

agreed. where i am from it would be considered rude if you saw someone you know and didnt at least give a smile and a little hello

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear on this: The grandma did say hi, and I did say hi back, but that was not the extent of our interaction. She went on to want to know all kinds of information about what's happening with this company I work at (and she doesn't anymore), and I was trying to move towards a different direction in the store. It isn't saying hi that was the issue... she wanted to have a much longer conversation, and then her granddaughter wanted to follow me.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif

Here we go again...

It's pretty obvious that midwesterner has a massive contempt for the human race. I'm pretty sure we aren't going to change his mind.