Chipotle is Giving Us Too Much Food

Options

Replies

• ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    when i go to chipotle (and btw, i LOVE chipotle!), i eat about a third of my bowl if i eat there. i bring the rest home and break it into 2 more servings OR i bring the entire thing home, weigh it and break it into 3 even servings. it works great as this way i still get my veggie bowl with my beloved guacamole, and by eating less it fits my calorie requirements. btw, i usually eat every 2 1/2 hours, but after chipotle i get hungry 3 1/2 to 4 hours later. it hasn't slowed my weight loss at all, so it does seem to work out well for me.

Really?????????

[img]http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag128/ksy1969/Pics for Forums/u9fVpSi_zps792e4355.gif[/img]
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You could say this about pretty much any restaurant in the entire world...really...do you think it's just Chipotle employees who "overestimate" their servings? They're a bunch of kids working for minimum wage at a restaurant...not sure what it to be expected here. I would think that one would understand that even if amounts are posted on a website, when it comes to eating out, it's really a crap shoot as to what you're getting...I pretty much chalk any meal out to around 1000 calories or so.

I think it's pretty hard for a Subway to get very far off, with the pre-portioned servings of meat and cheese - maybe you could end up with extra mayo, but it would be pretty apparent. And of the burger joints are pretty streamlined in that regard. Even the Pizza Hut managers that I worked for were very strict about using correct serving sizes.

We're not talking about Benihana here.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I find it incredibly funny that when someone logs on here and says they are having problems losing weight, the very first response (and the 80 pile-on posts behind that) is "You're eating too much" and "you're not being accurate" and "you are underestimating.".

Yet when somebody comes on and tries to give info about how a popular chain can be calorically inaccurate, they're told to man up and stop whining.

I also love how respondents on this site will talk about calories as if they were some precise measurement ..." adjust by 100 calories"..." you need to up your calories by 250..." etc.

It's all very entertaining.
    I'm sorry, did you say something. I thought you did but with no face it just sounds like mumbling. Sorry there faceless warrior.

:laugh: +1
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I don't see that as Corporate "knowingly" creating an issue. In no universe are they required to give you 1 serving exactly as stated on their website of every ingredient. So their NI isn't incorrect at all. It's no different than things you buy at the grocery store -- they all give information for 1 serving.... it's up to you to only eat 1.
    If their dish includes 7oz. of rice and 3.5oz. of meat, their online NI should be for those, not for 4oz. of each. Of course there is no guarantee of accuracy but there is the expectation that the NI is not for almost half of their actual portion.

Their per serving nutritional info is wrong. It's not at all like a grocery store package and eating more than one serving. Unless a consumer asked for the volume of their scoops or deconstructed their burrito to weigh each part, they would have no way of knowing.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    You could say this about pretty much any restaurant in the entire world...really...do you think it's just Chipotle employees who "overestimate" their servings? They're a bunch of kids working for minimum wage at a restaurant...not sure what it to be expected here. I would think that one would understand that even if amounts are posted on a website, when it comes to eating out, it's really a crap shoot as to what you're getting...I pretty much chalk any meal out to around 1000 calories or so.

This is not common sense for a lot of people. Many people, particularly if new to counting, will take nutritional info on an official website or in-store chart as fact.

Too often people run up in these threads, guns blazing, and forget that this isn't MFP-Advanced. This place is swarming with people who don't consider things that us experienced dieters (sorry, lifestylers for all the extra sensitive) take for granted.

Several people have already posted in this thread alone saying "thanks for the heads up".
  • fitasacello
    fitasacello Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I feel dumber after reading this thread

Did you watch the video I posted like 6 pages back? There's a calorimeter in it:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/13/opinion/calorie-detective.html?smid=pl-share
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

This is not common sense for a lot of people. Many people, particularly if new to counting, will take nutritional info on an official website or in-store chart as fact.

Too often people run up in these threads, guns blazing, and forget that this isn't MFP-Advanced. This place is swarming with people who don't consider things that us experienced dieters (sorry, lifestylers for all the extra sensitive) take for granted.

Several people have already posted in this thread alone saying "thanks for the heads up".
    Since we're blowing everyone's minds, and everyone says they're going to avoid restaurants:

The USDA allows for 20% error on packaged foods nutrition labels. So the error you see in restaurants exists in your cupboards too. Some things will be lower than you think, some will be higher, and hopefully they will cancel out. EVERYTHING in nutrition seems to be an estimate from TDEE to calorie burns to calorie intake. Do what you think will work. Try it for 4-6 weeks. If it doesn't work readjust. No reason to fear packaged foods or restaurants or avoid them for the rest of your life.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Since we're blowing everyone's minds, and everyone says they're going to avoid restaurants:

The USDA allows for 20% error on packaged foods nutrition labels. So the error you see in restaurants exists in your cupboards too. Some things will be lower than you think, some will be higher, and hopefully they will cancel out. EVERYTHING in nutrition seems to be an estimate from TDEE to calorie burns to calorie intake. Do what you think will work. Try it for 4-6 weeks. If it doesn't work readjust. No reason to fear packaged foods or restaurants or avoid them for the rest of your life.

This too.
  • newmom_2012
    newmom_2012 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I had to stop reading a few pages in...there's no chipotle where I live and it makes me very sad. All I can think about are burritos now...it's been too long since I had that sweet sweet chipotle.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Next thing you'll tell me Santana Claus isn't real.

He does exist!

597c304d3c8e5b697a7a74d4062d676c.jpg
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Careful - I said the same thing and the resident white knights charged at me
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    The reason the OP is getting so much slack I suspect is because of the confirmations of the Chipotle worker later in the thread. As the employee points out, a SERVING per Chipotle (read as "the numbers we use to calculate our website-posted nutritional info") is calculated in oz. and translated to spoonfuls/spoon sizes.

Read what the OP said:
    I just contacted Chipotle to verify how many servings of each item are supposed to go into a burrito bowl

So the OP isn't giving made up information since this is the info he was given by the company. The fact that a supposed employee challenges this later on is irrelevent to why everyone is being so rude to the OP. This is the General DIET and Weight LOSS Help forum. The OP gave the information in an attempt to help others. The people being ****s about it are just showing what horrible and nasty creatures they are and there is no excuse for it.

Did you really just call people out for forum behavior you believe is inappropriate...

...by calling them "horrible and nasty creatures"?

:huh:

Surely you see the hypocrisy in this, right?
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    This thread was largely messy and disappointing. (Much like a Chipotle's burrito bowl haha (I've never even had Chipotle ;_; ))

Thanks OP for the sentiment. I don't think you were being whiny or you need to man up, just that you realized something that you didn't realize before and wanted to share your info with others.

To others reading this far down (because you obviously can't turn away from train wrecks), don't let stuff like this turn you off from eating out. Just realize that calorie counts are basically estimates, even those on pre-packaged foods, and especially those at restaurants. If it means that much to you to measure all your food EXACTLY then hole up all alone in your small kitchen with your scale and weigh all your bread slices and strawberries, and chicken bones after you eat the meat. Don't have friends or family over ever, because they'll think you have an eating disorder and you don't need those haters trying to sabotage your weight loss!!

If that sounds terrible then realize you're not going to get things perfect, weigh at home and try to eyeball where necessary. Slow and steady wins the race.

ETA Also this is not a race, this is your life so don't view it as a competition because once you do you LOSE!!!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

2) Let's not forget that if you're being health-conscious, you're probably not getting sour cream/excessive guac/etc on your burrito. So everything in the darn thing is actually quite healthy. Solid grains/lower GI carbs from brown rice, great fiber from your bean choice, an utterly STELLAR protein:fat ratio for any food, let alone fast food (roughly 5:2, which beats even an aggressive Macro balance of 50C:25F:25P), and a few USDA servings of veggies depending on your preferences.

What is inherently unhealthy about "sour cream/excessive guac"?

Also, what is inherently more healthy about "brown rice" compared to "white rice"?

Sour Cream - 60% Saturated (unhealthy) Fat - In a Chipotle serving you're looking at least 30-33% of your DV for the heart-unhealthy type of fat... and if there's anything that I've noticed Chipotle tends to overdeliver on it's the sour cream. Note that a serving on Chipotle's site is 2 oz. (and we've been informed that the spoons are a 3.5).

Guac - High Fat as well - often 1/3+ of your total DV (16g per serving, though as it is avocado based it is likely that a higher ratio of healthy fats is present)

Brown Rice vs. White Rice - https://www.google.com/#q=brown+rice+vs+white+rice http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_rice Read the nutritional breakdowns for yourself. General talking points include less refinement = better whole grains. Significantly improved GI profile from the better ratio of total carbs:fiber carbs. White rice processing removes the bran oil which may help lower LDL cholesterol. The refinement process also strips several vitamins and minerals, most notably magnesium, manganese, and selenium. Another huge benefit of Chipotle brown rice vs white is that you reduce your sodium intake by 420 mg (~25% DV) when you make the switch!!

Wait, what???

So then, what is inherently unhealthy about saturated fat?

As for the rice...sorry, but I don't find your evidence compelling. Here's some comparably-sourced information from the other side:

http://www.details.com/blogs/daily-details/2013/06/health-is-brown-rice-really-better-than-white-rice-myth.html
    http://ancestral-nutrition.com/why-white-rice-is-healthier-than-brown-rice/
    http://butterbeliever.com/brown-rice-vs-white-rice-which-is-healthy/

Clearly, certain myths (such as "saturated fat is bad" and "brown rice is healthy and white rice is unhealthy" are remarkably resilient.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Crazy talk
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with saturated fat.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    The reason the OP is getting so much slack I suspect is because of the confirmations of the Chipotle worker later in the thread. As the employee points out, a SERVING per Chipotle (read as "the numbers we use to calculate our website-posted nutritional info") is calculated in oz. and translated to spoonfuls/spoon sizes.

Read what the OP said:
    I just contacted Chipotle to verify how many servings of each item are supposed to go into a burrito bowl

So the OP isn't giving made up information since this is the info he was given by the company. The fact that a supposed employee challenges this later on is irrelevent to why everyone is being so rude to the OP. This is the General DIET and Weight LOSS Help forum. The OP gave the information in an attempt to help others. The people being ****s about it are just showing what horrible and nasty creatures they are and there is no excuse for it.

Did you really just call people out for forum behavior you believe is inappropriate...

...by calling them "horrible and nasty creatures"?

Surely you see the hypocrisy in this, right?

Hi Jof.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Hi Jof.

Oh, hi there.
  • MikaylaTolan
    Options
    I know, my god! He wishes someone luck and gets ripped a new one. Looks like Johnny is being a little sensitive!