6) would you do it again?

7) what site(s) did you find most helpful

8) which one(s) should we stay away from / why

any other info would be helpful --thanks

Replies

• CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I don't personally have experience with them, but my BIL met his wife on one. :^)
  • landoflanie23
    Options
    Answers to your questions:

1 ) have you ever tried a dating site?

Yes!! I tried Plenty of Fish and Tinder

2) were you pleased?

Yes, I met my current partner :)

3) would you tell someone to try one?

Yes

4) any bad vibes?

You get the occasional strange people/ weirdos, but you can just ignore them

5) any thing i should ask?

Always send a message that mentions something they've discussed or touched upon in their profile. It shows you've read it and are actually interested in a conversation

I would if I were to be single again, it's great for people who are very busy and career minded or if you don't get to meet new people very often

POF

Ones that are paid for.... plenty of fish and tinder are free!

I hope that helps :)
  • lillyrose2020
    lillyrose2020 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thought I would reply as I met my boyfriend online and had a very positive experience. However always approach these things with caution and stay safe. I have answered your questions based on my own experience:

Yes. The only one I have used is Match.com. After three weeks of being on the site I went on my first blind date with a guy that I had found common ground and a good connection online, fast forward to just over a year later and he turned out to be the man of my dreams and we are living together very happily. I accept that this is not everyones experience. Many of my friends have tried various dating sites for several years and not found Mr Right.

2) were you pleased?
    Yes!

Yes, I do encourage single friends to try online dating. It is very hard to meet people in the real world.

4) any bad vibes?
    Not really, any negative messages or weirdos can be blocked and reported

5) any thing i shoud ask?
    Just always be careful, don't give out private information, don't tell anyone your address, if you do meet with someone in person make sure it is a public place and always tell family and friends where you are going and maintain contact with them.

Hopefully I won't have to as I am happily settled, but I suppose I would given the previous success.

I have only used Match.com. it is not free but apparently you get a higher calibre of person when it is not free (according to friends who have used the free sites and compared to Match)

I don't personally have experience with other sites
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Is it wise to ask about dating sites on a dating site?
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    1 ) have you ever tried a dating site? - yes

2) were you pleased? - for the most part. I mean, you will have to weed through some wackadoodle's, but that's in real life, too...

3) would you tell someone to try one? yea, why not?

4) any bad vibes? of course, but again, same can and will happen in real life, too

5) any thing i shoud ask? just be yourself and ask questions that are important to you

6) would you do it again? maybe one day

7) what site(s) did you find most helpful - I personally liked POF, but I do think its regional

8) which one(s) should we stay away from / why - where I am, I felt OK Cupid was more of a hookup site, but I've heard others say the same about POF, so its really going to come down to weeding through and being careful.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    I met my boyfriend on a dating site. We're planning to get married.

Yep!

2) were you pleased?
    You bet!

I would if they were willing to step out of their comfort zone a bit. It's not for everyone.

4) any bad vibes?
    I only had one "bad" date but I was very careful. It was really just that he was not a good match for me... plus he was swindling his parents for money - which was very lame for his age.

5) any thing i should ask?
    Ask the other person? I liked asking some of the suggested questions. My favourites being:
    a) Describe your best friend and why they are your best friend (It shows the character of the person I think)
    b) Where do you see yourself in 5 years (good for finding out if they want kids etc)
    ... really just ask anything you think is important. Get it out in the open and out of the way. There's no need to waste your time with people on online dating sites because you'll likely have plenty of options! Get in and out as fast as you can haha.

I won't need to ;) But my experience was good so if I had to I would.

I used eHarmony.

Stay away from free sites if you can (it weeds out a few of the people just looking for a romp or who really might not be too financially responsible). Otherwise, just do your research. My brother used Lava Life but it seemed creepy to me - but he met his wife there. I've heard good things about Match.com. I basically stuck with any that were big enough to advertise - because ads bring in people which means a bigger dating pool. Plus they usually have the money to put safety features into place.

The number one thing to think about for dating online is SAFETY. Always tell someone where you're going on a date and when you expect to be back - and then let them know when you get back. Go to a public place for the date. Transport yourself (don't get into their car until you actually know them). I even facebook stalked some of them before I met them. I refused to meet with anyone who didn't have a photo up or claimed they couldn't put one up because they were a teacher or something - remember (at least for eHarmony) that you can't see a photo unless you have a paid subscription. Which means there's no reason to hide (especially for teachers - their students aren't going to be buying subscriptions).
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Who gives a **** about this, where do you think you are mate???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Black Mr. Clean is right. This should be in Chit-Chat at the least.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    howdy just a few quick questions please :
    Yes. I've tried both free dating sites and paid dating sites.
    2) were you pleased?
    OK cupid and POF were free and the best sites I used. The pay sites were not worth it.
    YES. I've made the recommendation to many
    4) any bad vibes? Sure, just like with meeting people from anywhere. There are creepers online for sure.. and IRL It doesn't take much to sniff them out. Also you learn pretty quickly which ones are the fake profiles.
    5) any thing i shoud ask?
    Nope, but I'll give you some unsolicited advice.. Get a burner phone and give the number to the ppl you meet online.. Don't give your real number unless you're actually dating. Go on as many dates as possible.. you can't tell how someone is from their profile. Unless there's something about the person that is a total turn off, then meet up for a cup of coffee or a quick meal. I must have gone on 70 or more first dates. Make your self sound good in your profile but be honest. Be honest about your bodytype be honest about your lifestyle and what you're looking for.
    I sure hope I never have to!
    7) what site(s) did you find most helpful.
    OKcupid and PlentyOfFish

I met my husband online. I had been on many MANY dates and met a lot of great men from my city, but no match. I decided to open up my search to "world wide" and my husband came up as a 97% match. I checked out his profile and was really interested in him, but he was in Tunisia and I was in the USA so it was with disappointment that I closed his profile. Later that night, he had seen me stalking his profile and he contacted me. We talked on skype and by phone every day after that.

We're now married and living together in Tunisia!
    1378587_824852150858517_4753803170828727788_n.jpg?oh=94c0deaa5c48ec6c7f4a41fb06620bda&oe=54779344
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    research paper????

1 ) have you ever tried a dating site? multiple...

2) were you pleased? ummm... well... define pleased. I've met some very interesting people - to put it nicely

3) would you tell someone to try one? probably. I do know people who have met their SO's on sites, I just haven't met anyone (yet)

4) any bad vibes? just some weirdos

5) any thing i shoud ask? from what, this research request or from potential dates? as someone else said, be yourself, be comfortable with yourself and in your own skin, if you mesh, you mesh, if not, move on.

6) would you do it again? yes, still on the several sites

7) what site(s) did you find most helpful? they're all about the same and you'll see the same people on all the different sites

8) which one(s) should we stay away from / why? doesn't matter. people say the free sites but the same ppl are also on the paid sites - it's all a matter of chance anyway, right?
  • Renosu
    Renosu Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yep - tried them all. There's a site for anything you can think of.....quick hook up; AFF. Little bit longer hook-up, POF. Some seriously looking for LTR on Match and eHarmony. OK Cupid was kind of a fun romp. ALWAYS meet in a public place, and NEVER get in a car with someone right off the bat (and carrying pepper spray or something higher caliber isn't a bad idea) Having said all that, it's a very effective and kind of fun way to meet people and I've had a couple nice relationships start there. Taking a break now to work on me, then I'll go back and would encourage you or anyone else to give it a try. Have fun!
  • emmietoby
    emmietoby Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Who gives a **** about this, where do you think you are mate???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks !!
  • emmietoby
    Options

thanks !!

if you really don't want to answer why post??
  • emmietoby
    Options

thanks !!

doing a paper for class thanks to all who answered nicely !!
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    1 ) have you ever tried a dating site? yes

2) were you pleased? over all no, there were a lot of creeps

3) would you tell someone to try one? yes, it is a valid way to meet people if you are honest and careful

4) any bad vibes? yes, but then you just block/delete and move on

5) any thing i shoud ask? get to know someone the same way you would in person, real conversation and take your time

6) would you do it again? I met my man online and we now have a wonderful family (3 kids) together, so there is no need :P

7) what site(s) did you find most helpful? we met on plenty of fish, it was years ago I am not sure if it is any where near the same but it was free, don't think you should have to pay for it....

8) which one(s) should we stay away from / why? adultfriendfinder lol unless your goal is the booty call!
  • gallifreyfallsnomore1
    Options
    Isn't MFP a dating site?
  • emmietoby
    Options
    Isn't MFP a dating site?
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    doing a paper for class thanks to all who answered nicely !!

Because you need to be edified that help with you little homework assignment is better off in the general discussion areas.
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    NOPE.. concentrating on Fitness and Wellness..... plus I am enjoying MFP .. it is what it is.. and NOT a dating site
  • robswiger
    Options
    I've used Match.com before with some success. After this weekend, I will know if it is very successful, but I'm hopeful. Watch out for fake profiles that they use to bait you to purchase membership. I've also tried OK, Cupid but got nothing.