How do some people let themselves get so big?

Options

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Self hatred, depression, denial, etcetcetc

This
  • Yanagibashi
    Yanagibashi Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Depression + stress + 16 hour days + low budget to make healthy choices + a healthy dose of self loathing did it for me.

When you get fat, you're in a bad place and it's really hard to stop, let alone reverse the downward spiral.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    MONEY. Income and education can often play a huge roll. This is not to say that all morbidly obese people are not smart or cannot be wealthy, but in the US (and in my family in particular) there is a strong correlation between obesity and low income/ poverty/ low education and earning potential. They have fewer food choices and will be more likely to opt for high calorie cheap fast food. They were usually not raised by the hyper-healthy whole foods moms in yoga pants running around all day to pilates and packing their kids organic fruit and tofu for lunch. They are worried about paying rent, supporting their loved ones, and making sure there is some sort of food on the table. They are not concerned about paying for a gym membership or preparing healthy meals. All of these factors work together and it can be a vicious cycle. And as many of us know, once you are that big, it is incredibly difficult to make changes for a number of reasons. In my particular work field I work entirely with indigent people. A huge proportion of them are obese, especially the women who are often solely responsible for child care.

PLEASE NOTE: this is generally true in the US. There are OF COURSE exceptions to any rule, and it will not be true 100% of the time. I don't mean any offense to any one individual, just hoping to illuminate the general trend for OP.
  • Susanlove316
    Susanlove316 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Many reasons. Food allergies are like food addictions and can cause intense cravings and even mood swings. I had 26 of them and lost a lot of weight on an allergy rotation diet. It was so extremely strict that I couldn't permanently stay on it. Then I gained a lot back due to fibro myalgia pain and several surgeries, plus the food allergies can change. There are lots of different reasons why people gain large amounts of weight. Some foods have additives that are addicting. Oreos for example have many different additives that hook people and even one of these additives or preservatives would cause an addictive craving. Physical and even psychological cravings are big too. I gained weight when my abusive father passed away and I struggled with PTSD. Food can raise our serotonin level. As one person posted, "Fat people know they are fat." Yes, but we don't become fat overnight and many times we have deep issues we don't understand, coupled with health/immune dysfunction, such as food allergies or diabetes that cause intense cravings, coupled with greed motivated sneaky ingredients in cheap processed foods that some people have access to and not to nutritious food. Especially in some inner cities. Some people have disabilities and can't exercise and may not even know what is the proper food choice. I have a garden so I eat organic vegies not everyone can do that. It's not one simple excuse or blanket statement that applies to everyone...... I was always thin and exercised until I became ill. It took a while to figure out what was wrong.

http://www.dailyrx.com/modern-foods-contain-combination-added-chemicals-may-create-cravings

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/oreos-addictive-cocaine/story?id=20590182&page=2

http://bodyecology.com/articles/10-things-processed-food-industry.php#.U_6SHmO87Kc
  • Pookerz
    Pookerz Posts: 10
    Options

Not for me. No. I have always loved myself.
    For me, food is/was a hobby. Developing new recipes and trying new things. I was always cooking and baking for a crowd. When there was no crowd around, that meant more for me. Yay!

I never had a problem with being fat until I couldn't touch my toes and being physically exhausted for days at a time. That was my rude awakening that something needed to be done but I never felt shame, abused, lonely, or unloved.

Until I started MFP, I never really realized how many calories I was actually taking in.

So, I'm not cooking for a crowd anymore. I am trying new recipes that are low fat, carb, and calories. My life is a different kind of party now and I still love and respect myself.

*I am only speaking of my own experience. I can not and will not answer for anyone else.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

For me, food is/was a hobby. Developing new recipes and trying new things. I was always cooking and baking for a crowd. When there was no crowd around, that meant more for me. Yay!

I never had a problem with being fat until I couldn't touch my toes and being physically exhausted for days at a time. That was my rude awakening that something needed to be done but I never felt shame, abused, lonely, or unloved.

Until I started MFP, I never really realized how many calories I was actually taking in.

So, I'm not cooking for a crowd anymore. I am trying new recipes that are low fat, carb, and calories. My life is a different kind of party now and I still love and respect myself.

*I am only speaking of my own experience. I can not and will not answer for anyone else.

Not trying to nitpick, but what you described actually falls into the denial part of his answer.
  • Pookerz
    Pookerz Posts: 10
    Options
    I knew someone would say that. Grats! You are the winner, sort of. Maybe not. It's nice of you to give us your opinion without even knowing me at all.

Let me tell you a short story.

I went with a friend, for moral support, to her first AA meeting. Being the friendly person that I am, I introduced myself to many people and chit chatted before it all started.

I was asked how long I've had a problem. I replied with, "Oh, I don't have a problem."

I can not tell you how many people told me I was in denial. When people shared, lots were talking about denial and looking at me....

Wow, I don't even drink.

Moral of the story- get the story before you judge. Thanks.

Not trying to nitpick, but what you described actually falls into the denial part of his answer.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I'm asking this question because I want to understand them better. I can understand economic a little overweight, but how do people let themselves become so big?
    My breaking point was when I was either in danger of becoming overweight, or I already was a little (I was 5'4 140lbs). I know thee are people who get between 300-500lbs, sometimes even more. Do they not realize? Give up? Don't care?
    I don't want this to offend anyone who is or has been of that weight, I really just want to understand how it happened a little more.

pregnancies, illnesses, injuries, not taking time to work out, not having time to work out, life, depression, more life, more depression.. food, not being educated in nutrition and fitness, more food, etc We all have out own story and excuse of why we hit that dreaded number on the scale we never wanted to see. There is no one reason. it's a never ending cycle and each person has to take it on themselves to do something about it.
    There is a huge difference from someone looking from the outside and judging and between being that person. Of course they care and realize. How can they not? I did.
    Looking back, t I was in denial for so long and just said when I get time or I like food too much or I cant do it right now or I still look okay, i am not that big or I like my bigger butt and bigger boobs.( I miss those a little ) Only on the inside I said this when looking in a mirror or trying on new clothes, but mostly I have always felt beautiful and happy and confident about myself mostly due to my husband treating me like a trophy wife no mater what size I was or am now. (okay more so now :drinker: :love: ) People are people and there are many of them. In other words you can not group "fat" people into only one group and want a black and white answer to your so called question. Everyone is going to have their own story. I can tell you this, I wont ever be that girl again. I like being called hot and pretty too much.
  • TexasDarling09
    TexasDarling09 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Self loathing, based off being chubby when I was a kid and my dads response to it. I won't go into a huge long story, but in my case I self sabotaged because I was never taught that you could be beautiful at any weight. My weight was ALWAYS even from young childhood (and I was by NO MEANS FAT AS A YOUNG CHILD) just slightly bigger than my sister, anyway, I was ALWAYS told "you'd be so pretty if you lost a few pounds" and this is as a FOUR year old and FIVE year old. I still harbor anger against my dad but honestly, I know my reasons why, I know he was wrong, and I know where value comes from now (surely not from my pants size).

You can't see yourself as anything but a Monster, if you're called nothing but a monster from an early age.

Just sayin'.
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm asking this question because I want to understand them better. I can understand economic a little overweight, but how do people let themselves become so big?
    My breaking point was when I was either in danger of becoming overweight, or I already was a little (I was 5'4 140lbs). I know thee are people who get between 300-500lbs, sometimes even more. Do they not realize? Give up? Don't care?
    I don't want this to offend anyone who is or has been of that weight, I really just want to understand how it happened a little more.

Because sometime life happens--its gradual in many cases and you don't see it, like many other things in our day to day living.

And then some times you decide to do something about it.

Its a reasonable question.

Fsunami
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    This is going to be popular .. :noway:
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Endocrine diseases (i.e. diabetes, insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, hypothyroidism, Cushing's, Addison's)
    Hormonal imbalances (i.e. cortisol)
    Tumors (i.e. insulinoma, carcinoid syndrome, pituitary, adrenal)
    Pregnancy
    Chemotherapy medications
    Antidepressants
    Mental illnesses (i.e. depression, anxiety, eating disorders, etc.)
    Poor diet
    Injuries
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I knew someone would say that. Grats! You are the winner, sort of. Maybe not. It's nice of you to give us your opinion without even knowing me at all.

Let me tell you a short story.

I went with a friend, for moral support, to her first AA meeting. Being the friendly person that I am, I introduced myself to many people and chit chatted before it all started.

I was asked how long I've had a problem. I replied with, "Oh, I don't have a problem."

I can not tell you how many people told me I was in denial. When people shared, lots were talking about denial and looking at me....

Wow, I don't even drink.

Moral of the story- get the story before you judge. Thanks.

Well okay then. I mean, it just sounds like letting things get to the point where you can't touch your toes, are physically exhausted and then diagnosed with diabetes is being a bit being in denial about the weight gain affecting your life and health.
  • jtitus2014
    jtitus2014 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am 280 lbs and have always been a big girl. I was a big baby, toddler, child, teenager, and now adult. I gained 100 lbs within the last couple of years with 2 pregnancies. I have always hated my weight but tried with different diets to lose it but nothing would come from it. I am talking about being 13 years old and doing this all on my own because I really couldn't get any help. My parents broke their backs just to keep a roof over our head and at the time it was easier and quicker to eat out and buy cheap junk food. I have always loved salads and fruits but now I know that I would take those low calorie vegetables and throw a huge amount of no good dressings, bacon, and salt on it. When I was 16 I wanted to lose my weight but didn't know how to do it correctly so I would go out in 100 degree weather with a thick jacket on it and push mow the grass. I went to a theme park with my aunt with the same jacket on and ended up passing out. I didn't eat for almost two weeks, overheated, and completely drained. I ended up being on an IV for a week to get better. I told myself that God wouldn't make losing weight so hard if he wanted me to be skinny and I felt that way for awhile...until recently! I am married with a 4 year old and 1 year old. I can't keep up with them like I should without running out of breath so I decided I need a change. I am only 10 days in but I walk 2x a day for at least 30 minutes and I am eating healthy and under my calorie goal. In a nutshell I got this way from depression (tried suicide when I was in the 6th grade), self loathing, poor nutrition as a child, and towards the end complete denial. That is changing because I am not on a diet like I was years ago I am changing my lifestyle for the better :)
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options

Me personally I agree with this, I have come to realize that I hated myself , and was completely depressed. It's like a slow suicide, you just completely give up and don't care what happens anymore. When nothing makes you happy anymore, except for maybe that 10 mins your eating chips or something. Of course the more weight you gain, the more depressed you become, and it just becomes a vicious cycle.

This exactly.
  • eomuno215in541
    eomuno215in541 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Lots of things, no 1 reason for everyone, stress, anxiety, apathy, many things. NOT self loathing, morons. I'm onea the smartest cutest people here. I hate my appearance, I'll add more weight :huh: There can be a cycle, but it's not that cut and dried. I wouldnt worry about it, Bluecat, doesnt seem you'll get there. I hope u dont. But I cant see if ur pretty. Best wishes on your journey.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I went from 120 lbs at age 23 to 203 lbs at age 36.

Growing up, my home life was pretty chaotic - Mom and Dad constantly fought with each other, and therefore my sisters and I constantly fought with each other. Dad was cold, barely touched us, never said I Love You unless it was pre-printed in a greeting card for the rare holiday. Mom was overly affectionate and used me (the oldest) emotionally as a substitute for her husband since she couldn't get affection from her own. So I spent my childhood longing for Dad and pushing my Mother away from me (smothered).

I was a chubby kid and got bullied a lot in school ("hey, do you float in the pool?", etc.). I didn't know it then, but I now realize I was very depressed during those years. My mom took me to Weight Watchers and Jazzercise when I was 11. I loved both and by the time I was 15 I had shot up a few inches and got down to 114 lbs. But I remained seriously depressed and angry.

In my mid-20's, I met a man who quickly became my "everything". He was the prince I'd always dreamed of (hello, daddy figure). He made me so happy that I immersed myself in his life. He was british, a soccer player, a talented videographer, extremely funny, made good money, and had great taste in music...and food. He took me out to eat sometimes for every meal during the weekend. I had never tasted Thai food before in my life, for example, but he introduced me to it. I had never had a good wine, and he showed me how to pick one. It was a super sensual relationship filled with concerts and restaurants and films and romantic events...and lots of attention. I probably gained 15 lbs from eating out alone, plus I believe I was completely lost in this man and his affection. Meanwhile, he had the metabolism of a racehorse and nothing stuck to his body.

When he broke up with me, I felt my life was over. By then, I had experienced so much pleasure from all that rich food that I could no longer seem to stop eating it. And I hated myself for letting him get away, which fueled my depression, and fueled me into the food even further. I probably got up into the 140's at that point but somehow managed to hold steady there for a long time.

In 2002, I met another man whom again, I fell hard for, and he was athletic and loved to eat (and drink). There were many stressful aspects of our relationship, not the least of which that I was sick a lot that year, and we traveled every other weekend to another state to see his children. But again...I was looking for happiness in another person, so I lost touch with my own life and sense of self...my friends, family, church, and hobbies. This was my fault, mind you! But again...I became lost in the man....and the food. Trying to escape the sadness I normally drowned in.

By 2003 I had gained FIFTY pounds and found myself neck-deep in a full blown food addiction. That year was a total blur. I don't remember much, except I DO remember the food. Lots of "moments" with food: stopping at Target for Dark Chocolate Moose Munch, then at Ray's Ice Cream Shop for a huge cup of Moose Tracks (what was with me and moose's? lol), then through KFC drive through for the combo meal. All evidence was thrown away before I got home, so that no one (including myself) would know what I'd done.

I was probably eating 5-6 desserts a day, easily. If there were huge cookies from a deli leftover after a meeting, I would go into the kitchen when no one was looking and ferret 4-5 of them out in a napkin. Then I'd eat all five before leaving work, and I'd obsess about having another one. Sugar simply didn't make me sick like it did normal people. I could eat almost a whole cake and still want more. I ate relatively healthy when people were looking, so they were confused as to where my weight came from. They didn't see me downing the four cupcakes I'd gotten at that specialty bakery after work.

I did that for another decade. Every SINGLE morning I woke up and said, "today's a new day! Today I start my new diet! I will start eating better! I will lose weight! I won't eat sugar anymore! I am a new woman!"....... and by 10am I'd already eaten a Snickers out of the break room vending machine. The desire to change, matched with the lack of control, was so painful that I had to eat over it. It was a horrible, vicious cycle. I could not get out of it. I wanted to, but I was trapped.

When you are in the grip of an addiction, you live as if you are strung up by your arms and legs. Paralyzed, unable to move this way, or that. Depression and denial keep you in a zombie-like state, where you feel like you're moving through molasses. You feel helpless, hopeless, angry, sad, and ashamed. I can't count the times I thought, "what's the use? Might as well just eat and eat. No one cares. No one knows. You'll never escape. You'll always be this way. So just give in." And you do. On the one hand you want to stop....on the other, you don't because it feels sooooo good to drown in the food. You are literally torn between two worlds and a slave to the cycle of eating and restricting that spins between those worlds.

I won't go into the long story about how I got out of it. That's a tale for another day. Just know that I DID escape and I HAVE reached my goal and I WILL never go back. :happy: But you wanted to know how we got into it, so there you go. That's my version of it. Hope that gives you some insight.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I'll never understand. Came in to try again but nothing. I just assume they're set in "their ways". Same as smokers that can't quit. No desire to change. Too damn stubborn. Not changing your bad habits is easy; change is hard...

That's mighty presumptuous of you. This would be one of those instances where if you have not walked in those shoes you might want to keep your assumptions to yourself. I will agree that change is hard, but just because someone has a hard time doing it does not mean they have "no desire to change", or are "too damn stubborn". Weight loss has not come easy to me ever in my post-puberty life (I was totally normal weight wise until I was 13), and knowing full well that it's going to be an "uphill battle" is quite discouraging. Add in a nice heaping pile of self loathing and it's really easy to just go bury yourself in a jar of Nutella to avoid all the pain and hurt you feel.

But you wouldn't understand that, yet so many of us on here do all too well because it's something we face every time we look in a mirror. Hell even when I was at a healthy weight I still hated what I saw, and almost 33 year old me wishes she could go back and slap the taste out of 20/21 year old me's mouth for all the self loathing.
This discussion has been closed.