Dumb things heard at the gym

Options

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    possibly one of my favorite topics
    ... right behind the "others are worried about their own workouts and won't even notice you" threads.
    For the most part, I don't notice what others are doing, unless they're grunting, dropping weights, clanking the weights on the machines, talking loudly, etc.
    (Being a lunk & drawing attention.)
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    During a body pump class a few years ago, the instructor said we should all have some 'sleep' for dinner :huh:

I didn't like her very much after that. I used to go to classes to work on my fitness, not to be judged.

I don't like classes where the instructor thinks chastising people is motivational :angry:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I pretty much don't go anywhere without make up - even the gym
    I don't wear makeup anyway, other than nail polish (weak nails),

LOL Other than nail polish? nail polish isn't make up.
    but why would someone want their pores blocked when they know they're going to be getting hot & sweaty,
    make up =/= full blown face make up.
    mascra = make up
    lip stick = make up
    eye liner = make up

and none of those things are going to eff up your pores.
    plus why would someone want to have makeup running when they sweat,
    1.) some people don't natural sweat much
    2.) some people actually know how to properly apply their make up and their make up doesn't run.
    plus why would someone want to have makeup wiped off (probably unevenly) when they wipe off sweat?
    because they don't use man paws to wipe their faces
    Not everyone doesn't care what they look like
    I look just fine the way I am.
    are you implying that people who wear make up think they are NOT fine the way they are??
    My skin is clear, color is good, eyelashes are fine, hair is fine, lips are fine...
    so's mine
    in short, I don't need to pretend.
    make up isn't always about pretending- it's also about enhancing and just feeling glamorous.

[quoteI don't need to be painted, don't want to achieve someone else's idea of "beautiful" if it means compromising who I am. [/quote]

at what point did throwing mascara and eye shadow on become compromise? I know who I am. WIthout question. And I'm fu*king fabulous. I'm not compromising anything- I'm quiet happy wearing make up and not "disowning myself"

Some people feel at home and most true to themselves painted up. And that is totally okay.
    people who cry about being sweaty with their raggedy pony tail and being a sweaty mess
    Heck, no! I'm happy that I'm a sweaty mess, tired, sore, etc. I worked hard to get there!
    that's great- but someone else wearing their make up doesn't bother you and you don't need to judge it- clearly you are. And that's great if you're proud of your sweaty mess... I am proud to look good and look fierce.

Two hours of Russian power lifting- nothing's sliding. Seriously- why does this bother ANYONE and think that I"m hiding myself or who I am or trying to make up for ANYTHING. Still looking fabulous!!!
    Not asking you to do it.
    But I am asking that people stop caring that I do.
    2014-07-04_135108_zpscf81d1b5.jpg
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I pretty much don't go anywhere without make up - even the gym
    I don't wear makeup anyway, other than nail polish (weak nails),

LOL Other than nail polish? nail polish isn't make up.
    but why would someone want their pores blocked when they know they're going to be getting hot & sweaty,
    make up =/= full blown face make up.
    mascra = make up
    lip stick = make up
    eye liner = make up

and none of those things are going to eff up your pores.
    plus why would someone want to have makeup running when they sweat,
    1.) some people don't natural sweat much
    2.) some people actually know how to properly apply their make up and their make up doesn't run.
    plus why would someone want to have makeup wiped off (probably unevenly) when they wipe off sweat?
    because they don't use man paws to wipe their faces
    Not everyone doesn't care what they look like
    I look just fine the way I am.
    are you implying that people who wear make up think they are NOT fine the way they are??
    My skin is clear, color is good, eyelashes are fine, hair is fine, lips are fine...
    so's mine
    in short, I don't need to pretend.
    make up isn't always about pretending- it's also about enhancing and just feeling glamorous.

[quoteI don't need to be painted, don't want to achieve someone else's idea of "beautiful" if it means compromising who I am.

at what point did throwing mascara and eye shadow on become compromise? I know who I am. WIthout question. And I'm fu*king fabulous. I'm not compromising anything- I'm quiet happy wearing make up and not "disowning myself"

Some people feel at home and most true to themselves painted up. And that is totally okay.
    people who cry about being sweaty with their raggedy pony tail and being a sweaty mess
    Heck, no! I'm happy that I'm a sweaty mess, tired, sore, etc. I worked hard to get there!
    that's great- but someone else wearing their make up doesn't bother you and you don't need to judge it- clearly you are. And that's great if you're proud of your sweaty mess... I am proud to look good and look fierce.

Two hours of Russian power lifting- nothing's sliding. Seriously- why does this bother ANYONE and think that I"m hiding myself or who I am or trying to make up for ANYTHING. Still looking fabulous!!!
    Not asking you to do it.
    But I am asking that people stop caring that I do.
    2014-07-04_135108_zpscf81d1b5.jpg
    [/quote]

No but how do you *really* feel about it? :laugh:
    Just kiddin' :blushing:

For the record, this girl goes nowhere without her khol eyeliner, a bit of rouge & some gloss.
    That includes the gym and I look damn cute. It might disturb some to know that I also do my hair before I go anywhere.

This includes dog walking, running errands, going to the supermarket & the gym. I'm pretty sure I don't care what anyone thinks about it :bigsmile:
  • ecphillips1286
    ecphillips1286 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I heard some 'bro's' telling a newer 'bro' that 'whipping the weight forward' to do a bicep curl is the right way to do it. So essentially they are using their bodies energy to lift the weight instead of the bicep.

^ I have seen this before. He puts a belt on because he says it hurts his back to do curls. (Not a heavy weight btw) Obviously because he is swinging his body. Point.... Go as heavy as you can but with propper form otherwise your not working what you are trying the way you should and could result in injury.
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    A group of us from work use to take lunchtime aerobics at a gym near our office. One woman who took the class but didn't really work very hard (me and my friends would be sweating and out of breath which was sort of the point, right?). She only came to class because her doctor told her if she didn't start working out and drop some weight she would have a stroke. So she came to class, never broke a sweat so I imagine when she did have the stroke she could claim the doctor was wrong.
  • tlebel75
    tlebel75 Posts: 10
    Options
    Couple weeks back at the gym A guy was doing nose crushers with 25ibs plates on both side. so basically he has them on a curling bar (no clamps) setting on his lap he goes to lay his back on the bench but was too far on the left side and ended up sliding off the bench and onto the floor he than complained that the bench was too narrow ..
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Also people putting on makeup before a workout.

Don't be a hater.

It doesn't impact you at all.

Neither does someone using a yoga mat as a pad for a smith machine, but that still doesn't mean it makes any sense.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    HerbaLife Fitness Coach, to a female client that had just pulled 185 easily on a dead lift and wanted to move up to 205: "No. I want you to stay at this weight. Any heavier and you will get man muscles. You don't want man muscles you want lady muscles".
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    "Can you spot me?" - Guy squatting 350 asking a woman much smaller (not saying she couldn't lift it, but come on, we know what he's doing lol)

Ha, you know I've seen something like this too. Guy was about to do seated oh presses with 100lbs dumbells and he asked this girl who, though pretty fit, obviously wouldn't of been much help. She apparently felt the same way and actually went off to find someone to spot the guy. Talk about helpful!

EDIT: Side note, I'll just leave this right here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXiYC1ebkwc

This just shows some people view spotters in the wrong way. Spotters shouldn't be expected to actually "catch" the weight, but provide a small amount of force to keep it going if necessary. The only time you can expect your spotters to be able to take the whole weight off you requires three people: one person on each end of the bar and one in the middle. It is your duty not to be foolish and try a weight you have no chance of lifting, unless your spotter knows you are doing negatives, and if you do those right, you don't go way over max, but slightly. Its not hard to find/estimate a max and test it without needing the whole weight pulled off you.

Except for negative reps (and she was fine spotting a few negatives for me), one of the best spotters for benches that I had was a 120lb girl, she would spot me for 265-425lbs benches with no problems. You can always put the weight to your chest if necessary to take plates off, and even a large guy is not going to be able to catch even the low end, 265lbs dropping, fast enough to keep it off you if you "catastrophically fail".

You should have a plan if you do start to fail on a rep so the spotter doesn't have to put themselves at risk of trying to pull a large load off you alone, even if he's a big guy: lifting weights bent over at a distance in front of you, bar separated from you by iron pillars is horrible biomechanics and even if the guy can deadlift the weight, there is no guarantee he could lift it off you in that situation. You should have a backup plan, which to me includes lowering it to my chest and holding it there while plates are taken off, this works just fine if necessary, and if not, the spotter wasn't going to catch the entire weight or pull it off me alone anyways. On a squat that plan involves the iron bars you place to catch the weight in the squatting cage...thats what they are for. For an overhead press, weights can be dropped as you angle their drop away from you, no spotter is going to catch two 100lb+ dumbbells simultaneously irregularly floating in the air on your failed weakened arm. Nobody should be "limp noodling" their arms on a failed lift, but be trying to lift with the spotter in any case.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    This topic makes me want to wear war paint to the gym.
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    A young guy telling his girlfriend that doing 100 of these incline situps would give her a six pack. The way i see some guys training their SO makes me glad i work out alone.
  • bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    This topic makes me want to wear war paint to the gym.

200.gif
  • eels4peels
    eels4peels Posts: 229 Member
    Options

1: A guy who grunts just to grunt so the entire gym knows how "hard" he is working..

I try to out grunt the guys to assert my dominance.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Oi. A group of young guys, one of which was telling the others now nasty his girlfriend is, in graphic detail.

I couldn't help thinking she wasn't going to be his girlfriend for long.

It also reinforced my suspicion that pudgy middle-aged women are invisible; although I gave no outward sign of paying attention they should have known I could hear every word they said.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Not a gym thing, but my coworker is basically starving herself to lose 50 lbs. She says she's on the keto diet and admittedly, I don't know much about it, but I doubt it's supposed to be as painful as it seems to be for her.

I guess that's not so much dumb as it is misinformed/misguided.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

1: A guy who grunts just to grunt so the entire gym knows how "hard" he is working..

wait- you mean we aren't supposed to pee on the near by machines and then hump near by strangers who seem to be encroaching on our space.
    Also people putting on makeup before a workout.

Don't be a hater.

It doesn't impact you at all.

Neither does someone using a yoga mat as a pad for a smith machine, but that still doesn't mean it makes any sense.
    [/quote]

hey- it works- gotta give them credit (I think) for the ingenuity.
    in terms of how much "sense it makes" neither does drinking beer- but it makes me happy... which funny- fits into these criteria as well.
    just saying.
    > makes someone happy
    > doesn't affect others
    > has nothing to do with practicality or none practicality.
    > doesn't impact effectiveness of workout /life
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

wait- you mean we aren't supposed to pee on the near by machines and then hump near by strangers who seem to be encroaching on our space.
    I accidentally broke a guy's leg that way once.
  • smetka01
    smetka01 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • melissay28
    melissay28 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Not a gym thing, but my coworker is basically starving herself to lose 50 lbs. She says she's on the keto diet and admittedly, I don't know much about it, but I doubt it's supposed to be as painful as it seems to be for her.

I guess that's not so much dumb as it is misinformed/misguided.

I used to work with a girl that was convinced that the more that you sweat means the more weight that you lose. Her theory was that sweating = hot. hot = melting. sweating + hot + melting = fat melting from your body. She told us she didn't exercise she just laid in a lawn chair in the sun bc it made her sweat a lot so she knew she was losing fat.

If only it was that easy! Since moving to Hawaii I'd probably be 0% body fat if that were the way it worked!