September Cycling Challenge 2014

Options
Can you believe that September is here? Welcome to our September Cycling thread! If you're seeing this for the first time, Welcome! This is a thread for cyclists of all shapes and sizes. We have some very experienced riders who are doing some serious distances. We have riders who are just getting into cycling, many riding bikes for the first time since childhood. We welcome Everyone. Mountain Bikers? Road Riders? Commuters? Spinners? Trailer Pullers? Everyone is welcome.

You may post anything that motivates you. Many people copy and paste to keep a running total. Some people use a ticker to track their rides. You may track time, distance, soreness, crashes (that's me, sadly). Whatever makes you want to push the pedal is what you should track.

The most important thing that I want to say: whatever your level, you are welcome. I have lost people in the past who said that they didn't feel like they could keep up with the rides of others. If you are riding a bike for the first time and can barely make it past the driveway, we welcome you, we encourage you, and we want you to join us on this journey.

Replies

• PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Laura. I'm just seeing this for the first time! I bought a bike a week ago yesterday, after not being on one for close to 30 years. Loving it so far. Not entirely sure what to track at this point, so maybe just general progress. I'm still working on getting comfortable on the bike.
  • Sommerville_Nutrition
    Options
    I bought a bike at an auction this summer for 20.00 best 20 bucks I have ever spent I have logged many k's this summer I could ride and ride forever I love it. It's the only place in the world where i am 12 years old again.
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    I am in again. Going for 1000 miles and trying to improve my speed. I still have not bought a Garmin. Needed some other more important stuff first.

Hoping that the weather cools down and I am not getting baked every time I am on the bike. I am also tired of having legs which are tanned only to mid-thigh.
  • cdoesthehula
    cdoesthehula Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Been at my dad's this weekend. We took his dogs for a walk with the dogs this afternoon, and found a bike for sale in someone's front garden.

It is an old mountain bike. Very good condition - it still has knobbly bits on the tyres! I would make an educated guess that it has covered no more than ten miles from new. I gave the fella £30 for it.

It just needs tuning and lubricating. I will stress relieve and retension the wheels, clean the shifters (they are a bit sticky inside, it will be dried up grease). And then I have a bike to ride at my dad's as well as at home. :smile:

So, there are no excuses now. I'm going to train to length of ride/effort rather than distance, as I will be riding at home, at work and on the boat I am moving down south, and there are different bikes at each place. I ought to pick up an HRM, really.

It's all on track to train for my organised ride next year, which I'm immediately following with a bit of touring.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I am ready to go around again:wink:

I made 370 miles last month. I will set 375 as my goal for this month.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm in again. Had a goal of 250 miles in July and August. Made it in July, and could have made it but just missed it in August, since I was burned out and needed to get some running in (this is mostly due to inconsistency earlier in the month).

Because I still don't know how to balance my running and biking, I'm going to bring it down to 225, although I'm actually hoping to exceed that by finally getting consistent about commuting.
  • linz1976
    linz1976 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi can I join this challenge.
    I will be mostly on the turbo but I have a mileage thing on it . I will be aiming for around 500 miles in a month.

Thanks x
  • sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Oh, I don't know. Yeah. Okay. I'm in.

Goal for September is 30 miles again. It's not as easy as it sounds because I use up my limited energy levels doing other things. :)
  • steffenson
    steffenson Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Hello All, I'm back!

In September I did a lot of long slow rides and managed 846 miles. This month I no longer have vacation days from work, summer Fridays or as much daylight in the evenings so I going to be switching to short(er) fast(er) rides to work on my speed. My goals are averaging 20+mph on my 16 mile loop 3 times, doing my 22 mile loop in under 1 hour, doing 1 group century ride (Sep 14th) and see if I can get 400 miles for the month.
    My yearly goal (season ends mid October) is to bike 2,000 miles and climb 100,000 feet - I currently have 1,704miles and 86,371' so expect to make it in September.
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Hi!

First time in the cycling challenge thread. I rode 198 km (125 miles) in august, with a week without doing anything because of vacation.

I would love to ride at least 250 km in september (150 miles).

The only thing I'm worried about right now is the fact that I will have far less time on weekends to bike with my upcoming wedding at the end of the month. I'll try to commute by bike more often to keep up with my goal. :)
  • fejiofor
    fejiofor Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Am in. Spinning 250 miles.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Ok - came out to a total of 430 miles in August (about 200 of which came from commutes to/from baseball/football games, 140 from my gym's expresso, 70 of leisure cycling with friends, and 12 from my first sprint triathlon).

With only 9 home games planned in September, but an intermediate triathlon plan in the mix, I'll up my goal to 450 miles for the month.
  • e_smith06
    e_smith06 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Goal for September: 300 miles
  • SWWIS
    SWWIS Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'll go for it. I'm setting a 75 mile goal since this is my first month doing this and I don't know how consistently I'll be cycling. It'll all be indoors on a stationary bike because it's Houston and it's HOT.
  • Double2dd
    Double2dd Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am in ... Goal is 120 miles on road bike!
  • jenschroll
    jenschroll Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    First time in the challenge and would love to log 100 miles for this month!

And....I hope I'm not stepping on any toes in this thread, but I'd love to add some cycling buddies to my friend list! :wink:
  • bdgfn
    bdgfn Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I'm in! I did 125 miles last month. Upping that to 150 miles this month!
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    In. Going for 700+.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Monthly goal 375
    Total so far 29.0

8/1 - 29.0
  • sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member