WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2014

1642811sx75nzz9rs.gif

:flowerforyou: Welcome to a community of supportive and encouraging women. The title says Women Ages 50+ but all women are welcome. The journey to health, weight loss, energy, well-being, and longevity is best taken with others who share our goals and values.

:flowerforyou: I hope you will check in here daily and share what’s going on, respond to each other, and ask questions.

:flowerforyou: How did you do with your goals and resolutions for August?

:flowerforyou: What goals and resolutions have you set for September?

:flowerforyou: Please sign your posts with your name (or alias) and your location so we can get to know each other better.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

My word for 2014 is “mindful”

August Resolutions---with end of the month comments
*yoga once a week---failed miserably
*plank twice a week---2 minute plank at least twice a week
*make a new line dance CD---finished and using it in my class
*weight training once a week---failed miserably
*18,000 steps a day
at least this many and often more

September Resolutions
*get the big hole in the back yard ready for planting bulbs
*seek opportunities to be kind
*participate in a 30 day plank challenge

Replies

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    bump
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    :smile: bump
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,045 Member
    Bump! To find the link. Thank you Barbie for keeping us going!:flowerforyou:
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    :flowerforyou: thanks Barbie. I'll be back later. Setting new goals for the fall.
  • christschild2
    christschild2 Posts: 97 Member
    HELLO! I'M BUMPING
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    bump...............thankyou, Barbie and what a lovely graphic!!!

yanniejannie
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Thank you Barbie - great idea.

Well August was awesome -
    I've lost 13 pounds
    I've eaten lots of whole foods
    I've stayed away from sugar (I can't manage moderation - and after 54 years of failure, I have to just accept what is)
    I've met my water requirement most days
    I've been pretty consistent with my walking, and feeling stronger!

The first month is always easy - lots of motivation, the weight comes off easily, everything is new and interesting.

Goals for September:
    Find ways to stay inspired and highly motivated
    Stay away from sugar
    Walk 4+ hours per week
    Lose 5 pounds
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Bump
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Hello Ladies!
    Thanks Barbie for keeping us focused and together:drinker: :bigsmile:
    Still have to get down to this months resolutions.
    Best wishes to all
    Anamika from Mumbai:heart:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Hello dear ladies!!!

Today I went shopping for some fall/winter clothes. I have been getting these emails form CJ Banks on their new fall clothes and they have a lot of berry in them. They are just beautiful. I went to my new store Christopher Banks since they carry the smaller clothes. You don't know how much I had to control myself not to put that in all caps!!! But it was very nice. They didn't have a lot of dress pants in so I just got one pair. I don't know if they have a type of fit for the smaller ladies that they don't carry at CJ Banks. They said there were a narrower pant leg. I just thought they were talking about the boot cut. But My things are still quite a problem and I couldn't even pull those things on. So I stuck with more of a classic fit. But I got a couple of jackets and blouse combinations, a couple of other sweater and a necklace. One of the sweaters I bought is a cowel neck which I have never worn before and I really didn't know how to drape this thing. So I stepped out of this dressing room and waited for the sales lady to stop her conversation so I could ask her. Well the customer just took over. We went around the store, she showed me combinations, what necklace would go with what outfit. I told her I could hire her as my own personal fashion consultant. The sales lady said she should apply to work there. But truth be told, I dress up for Sunday morning, as soon as I get home I immediatley get undressed and get back in my jeans and $5 Walmart t shirt. But Christopher Banks didn't have the regular long sleeve nice tops I just wear with my jeans or under a sweater. I went next door to CJ Banks and they have them but the XL which is a 14 is cut a little bigger than Christopher Banks XL. I don't like the clingy knits that they had. But I spent $292 and am still not done.

Then I went to a jewerly store on the mall to get my rings resized. Boy, have prices jumped. We got this set in 1972 and paid $255. Well I had to pay $45 apiece for the resizing and if I wanted them sottered together it would be an extra $65. So I just got them resized, for now. She appraised them at $1500. I wear one of my other rings on my necklace also. It's a ring my daughter found at work. She works at Cintas and handles the big indusrtrial dryers. She has to cawl inside them to clean out the lint traps and frequently finds things. She has an average of $100/month she finds. It has been more. One time she found this ring, she thought it was a fake amythsist. She did per policy turn it into the office and a month later was able to claim it. She thought it was just costume and I would get a kick out of wearing it. Well after a month my finger hadn't turned green so we knew it was real. So this lady appraised it at $800!!!!!!!!!

Our trio went real well this morning!!!

Kim, as far as eating deserts, I only am tempted to get something that is out of the ordinary. Like I am not tempted by chocolate cake out of box. Am I don't very often have the opportunity to get rice krispie treats since I don't have young kids around the house

Mimi, the reason we had Christmas in February that year was because my brother was going to be able to come. We hadn't seen him in about 5 years since he lived close to Seattle on a Navy Base.But our wise government decided to make a nuclear sub (which is what he does) in the state of Washington only to have it based in Virginia! Or at least I think it was Virginia. It may have been in one of the Carolinas. Half the crew took it through the Panama Canal and then up the east coast and the other half went across land. My brother was part of the land crew!!!! We always set the first weekend in January for our Christmas. That way everyone can plan it and knows when it is. But we can still shop after Christmas, if you dare.

Allison, I know it was difficult and not sure if my patients ever believed me or if it gave any consolation, but I would always tell the families that that kind of behavior is not their loved one acting but their disease process. And as Michelle mentioned, it could be what we called sundowing or sundown syndrome. It is an actual physical phenomenon. As far as eating that sweet frosting, girl you deserve it. Dad give up his car???? hat would be like Heather giving up cooking or Barbie giviing up line dancing

I'm almost done with my notes ladies so bear with me.

Meg, so sorry about the weather, do you know how to swim??? So glad your cousin is improving. as a nurse you know it's like relearning everything all over again

Sylvia, that was quite a joke. I bet that was some boys favorite pick up line.

Dee Dee, what a wonderful grand dauhgter day you had. Your girls will have memories for a lifetime

Heather, all I can say about the difference in your carpets is that a good friend will like you no matter what kind of carpet you have. If they don't then they aren't good friends. A walk along the cliffs, that jsut makes me want to go to New England even more. But I am afraid that is a trip I will have to take on my own sometime if Charlie dies before i do

Carol, how is your son doing in college. And more importantly, how are you doing with him in college?

Michelle, yeah for your son calling you!!!!!

OK, I'm done talking!!! Joyce, Indiana
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,195 Member
    Bumping for 1st September!:flowerforyou:
    Pinch, punch, first day of the month and no returns!
    Just about to take DH up a cup of tea and do that to him!:laugh:

I have been awake since 5.30 . Was just lying there angsting about everything so I got up and did 20 mins strength training. That will save me time later and it feels good.:bigsmile:

Weeding and harvesting today. Finishing the loose covers. The really dirty bit, that I washed them for, is still dirty.:grumble: I will have to do some spot washing.

Love, Heather in grey Hampshire UK
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Hello ladies
    Well, I haven't posted for a while but I have finally had my gallbladder removed and I'm now home from hospital. Very sore and tired but looking forward to no more of the horrendous attacks that I was having.

I hope you are all doing well and I will try to pop in again in the next couple of days.

Love to all
    Amanda x
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,195 Member
    Got 604 cals exercise in today!:bigsmile:

Joyce - bet you look great in your church clothes! :flowerforyou: I'm like you, I live in comfy clothes, but enjoy dressing up occasionally.:happy: I love looking at beautiful clothes, but hardly ever buy them as I rarely wear them, especially dresses and skirts. My local store has some gorgrous dresses.:sad:

Carol - sorry to hear you are down. Enjoy your day off! :flowerforyou: You are probably in the process of re assessing your whole life; house, job, childfree time. Your mind is asking - Who Am I ? What do I really, really want? I know when I was in that sort of position I was very depressed for a while. Be kind and understanding to yourself.:flowerforyou:

Kim - I hope you manage to find that 'wedding' dress. Special occasion clothes are a pain. I find it's better to wesr a nicer version of what I normally wear so I feel more comfortable. A posh frock is very demanding and you need the accessories.:grumble: :noway: I have terrible trouble with shoes.:tongue:
    For my friend's 60th I wore nice trousers and a vintage top and velvet slippers! Looked good snd I was comfy. My photo is in my profile. Didn't cost me much either, just the cheap slippers. With your amazing creativity I sure you can think of something.:flowerforyou:

Goals for September : DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD, :laugh:
    Lose one more pound.:drinker:

Simple!:noway: :tongue:

Raining here. Hairy Bikers for dinner.:laugh:

Heather in showery Hampshire UK

PS Welcome back Amanda! Heal fast!:flowerforyou:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,684 Member
    morning morning ladies~
    I am up dressed and ready for my adventure to Goodwill.. I am soooooo excited:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    having my warm lemon water...
    i had some weight loss tea yesterday afternoon and it has wrecked havic on my insides,but think it has subsided enough for my trip..
    going to have my english muffin and tea and then be on my way.. they open at 7, and I will be over there in a bit waiting for them to open..
    bought a chuck roast yesterday that I will put in the crockpot,found this really neat recipe that I am going to try..
    1 envelope ranch dressing mix
    1 envelope italian dressing mix
    1 envelope brown gravy mix
    and 2 cups water
    mix all of those together in a container bigger than the 2 cups..pour over the browned meat in the crock pot and cook either 4 hrs on High or 8 hrs on low
    well I am off wish me luck
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,335 Member
    Did 1 segment of "10 minute solution pilates" DVD today, held my plank for 2 min 30 sec. For some reason, I can't seem to go longer than 30 sec. without losing my form. Oh, I can hold my plank longer, but I will lose my form, so what's the use. Then took the extremepump class.

Tomorrow the plan is to try this workout that I saw in *Fitness* magazine. It has this thing where you ramp up the intensity. I'm going to try it on the elliptical.

cindy in OK - thanks for the suggestion of adding beans, I never thought of that (a duhhh moment). For some reason I don't like to have nuts in foods, nuts by themselves I love, but not nuts in brownies, cakes, salads, foods. As a matter of fact, I have a bag of chickpeas in my pantry that I was trying to figure out what to use them in, now I'm just soaking them.

Sylvia - have you ever used the product "Afterbite"? I'll warn you right now, if the wound is open (like from scratching a lot) it WILL sting like no body's business. That stinging only lasts a few seconds. The product (I found this out the hard way) only works if the wound is opened. Another thing I've found for bad itches, and for this the wound doesn't have to be opened, is to put your hairdryer on and keep it on the itchy area for as long as you can stand it. Admitted, this is only temporary. The reasoning behind it is that the heat releases the histamines. My heart goes out to you. I've had some bad itches, even to the point where I've scratched myself so much that I'm bleeding. Oh, should you get to that point, put hyrogen peroxide on the fresh blood. It will bubble up. Depending on how much blood you have, you may have to do this a few times. But it DOES take the blood stain out. As long as the stain hasn't been washed and dryed.

Kim - great shopping!

Joyce - I'm the same way, I'm not at all tempted by cakes out of a box.

Amanda - get better fast so you can come here more often

Going to post this to mark my spot and to give Sylvia those suggestions

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    :bigsmile: I am excited to see Anamika, Amanda, Christschild, and others that I haven't seen in awhile and happy to see all the familiar friends that I see almost every day.

:flowerforyou: I am re-reading "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin and highly recommend it for anyone trying to get more comfy with who you are and where you are going. Heather's mantra "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good" is one of the great take-aways from the book.

:drinker: I look at the first day of every month as a glorious beginning to a new adventure----a chance to repair anything that didn't go well last month----an opportunity to open many new doors to happiness :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington where it is dark now but promises to be bright and sunny later
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,684 Member
    popping in quick to say I made out like a bandit
    got 14 sweaters,11 shirts 3 purses and a brand new travel wheelchair for DFIL for 115.00
    ,makers of some of the stuff, talbots,christopher and banks,all sorts of colors too. oranges,browns,coral,grey,red, I am just over the moon, didnt try anything on, because I mostly know my size, I bought a few size mediums ,but mostly larges.. and they travel wheelchair is just what was needed to haul his to different places, heaven forbid maybe someday we might need it..
    have roast in crock pot and we are off to Home Depot.. will check in later:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :heart: :heart: :drinker: :drinker:
  • JennInTx
    JennInTx Posts: 72 Member
    Bump
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,940 Member
    Bump!
  • niecey61
    niecey61 Posts: 54 Member
    Hi there just found this group and would like to join! My name is Denise and I am from Wilmington, North Carolina. I will be 53 in October and would like to lose 30 to 40 pounds to look better, increase my energy and mobility, and to decrease arthritic pain in my knees and feet.

My goals for September are:

* NO DIET COKE (I have 6 days down so far)
    *Stay away from simple sugars and eat greek yogurt bars, greek yogurt, and fruit for my sweet treats
    *Focus on the protein, carb, and fat amount suggestions my Nutritionist made
    *Gym 2 days (weights) and walk 2 days

I hope I did this right. I'm not sure what "bump" means