Tips for a ROOKIE REGISTERED for a FULL MARATHON

Replies

• Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    In for reasons.

I've been running for a year and I STILL don't feel ready to train for a 1/2. (I'm training for a Tough Mudder and a local Trail 10k run). OP, you are much braver than I. Best of luck. :flowerforyou:

Braver or crazier..lol Im now up to training for a 10K. I am up to 68 minutes and on week 12 of running. Just chugging along. We shall see what this next couple of months has in store for me.

I feel I run as slow as a turtle, although that may be because I run in freakin hell (temps 105+). Temps have been lower this past week into a nice 98 degrees...and then humidity..so it still fills freakin hot. Hoping to hit winter!! lol...
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    In for reasons.

I've been running for a year and I STILL don't feel ready to train for a 1/2. (I'm training for a Tough Mudder and a local Trail 10k run). OP, you are much braver than I. Best of luck. :flowerforyou:

Braver or crazier..lol Im now up to training for a 10K. I am up to 68 minutes and on week 12 of running. Just chugging along. We shall see what this next couple of months has in store for me.

I feel I run as slow as a turtle, although that may be because I run in freakin hell (temps 105+). Temps have been lower this past week into a nice 98 degrees...and then humidity..so it still fills freakin hot. Hoping to hit winter!! lol...

Everybody is slower in the summer. You'll also see improvement over the next month anyway, simply by keeping running.
  • Chimis_Siq
    In for reasons.

Everybody is slower in the summer. You'll also see improvement over the next month anyway, simply by keeping running.

Thank you! Yeah its hellish out there..hence the heat rash I now have.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    In because I've taken up running, too, and tips are always good.

Not training for anything specific, just starting half-marathon training as a ?logical? step after completing C25K and figuring out that I'm also capable of running 10K, and it really isn't all that difficult for me at this point. I think it must be all the heavy lifting I did. Let me start out in a good position of strength and conditioning.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Glad to see you still at it and keeping up with updates.
  • Michifan
    Michifan Posts: 95 Member
    I ran my first Marathon in 2009 and preferred half marathons thereafter.

It's definitely worth checking off the box, but the time commitment and ramp up to the race became a thing in itself. I admire the runners that don't need to train past the 26.2 mile mark ahead of races - but for my first race I was running 30 miles a few weeks ahead of the race to give myself the mental confidence that I could do it. I ramped down two weeks prior to the race.

I also highly recommend using the Galloway method. It is awesome for new runners.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,194 MFP Moderator
    In. I stalked the last thread - this time I want it on 'My Topics' so I can see when there is an update. I'm lazy. And a runner. And I think we're all just a little bit crazy.

OP - good luck. Keeping my fingers and toes (when I'm not running) crossed for your health and general well-being through all your training.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    OP, another marathon prep thread in which you might be interested (and may pick up some tips): http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1422723-i-need-to-cut-a-corner-not-good
  • likitisplit

Not training for anything specific, just starting half-marathon training as a ?logical? step after completing C25K and figuring out that I'm also capable of running 10K, and it really isn't all that difficult for me at this point. I think it must be all the heavy lifting I did. Let me start out in a good position of strength and conditioning.

I found that I was able to easily run 6 miles a few weeks after finishing C25k. I did a 10k and felt like I could run forever so I signed up for a half-marathon.

I quickly found that my limit was 7 - 7.5 miles at that point. I trained for the half and enjoyed it, but it was a challenge and a commitment. Of course, your mileage may vary.

A marathon is a totally different beast.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member

I found that I was able to easily run 6 miles a few weeks after finishing C25k. I did a 10k and felt like I could run forever so I signed up for a half-marathon.

I quickly found that my limit was 7 - 7.5 miles at that point. I trained for the half and enjoyed it, but it was a challenge and a commitment. Of course, your mileage may vary.

A marathon is a totally different beast.

Yeah I found that I didn't just run a marathon for 26.2 miles but I ran my marathon for months and months as the training commitment was HIGH. The marathon itself was a bit rough. It was the longest race I ever ran. I did run 20 miles during my training but that was at a very comfortable jog and I wasn't pushing myself AT ALL as I was just trying to get distance in that morning. I was running 4 days a week, some weeks every day for 5 miles or more and my long runs on the weekend surpassed 1/2 marathon length. I'm considering the training implications or running another one next year because my first marathon was in a canyon and I'd like to having something comparatively flatter.

But yeah different beast and it's not just race day.
  • K_Emily_Ann
    K_Emily_Ann Posts: 19 Member
    I have been lurking on this thread and just spent WAY too long reading through the first 20 pages of the original thread, so I might as well tune in for Part 2.

*Disappears into the darkness to lurk with the other silent readers....
  • Chimis_Siq
    Thank you to all those "lurking" still and following my progress. So far so good...

I managed to get a massive heat rash. Lesson learned. No injuries to report. I start Week 13 of my 10K running tomorrow. I have a 5 k this weekend. A little nervous..just because its an "official" race.

My last C210 K run was 4.82 miles on Sept 2. This includes the 5 min warmup walk and 5 min cool down at both beginning and end of run. Duration 67 Min 45 secs

Split Pace According to Map My Run :
    Mile 1: 14:05
    Mile 2: 13:27
    Mile 3: 13:35
    Mile 4: 13:48
    Mile 4.85: 12:40

My next week on C210K is...
    Day 1: 56 min (22 min jogs followed by 1 min walk 2x)
    Day 2: 62 min (25 min jogs followed by 1 min walk 2x)
    Day 3: 72 min (30 min jogs followed by 1 mni walk 2x) -This ones going to test me for sure!!!!!!!!!!!

2 more weeks till im done with C210 K program!

Thanks for all your support still..it is greatly appreciated!!
  • likitisplit
    You are going to LOVE the race! Is your brother going with you?
  • Chimis_Siq

No, but my bf is going to run it with me. He opted out of the Full for next year because "why would I pay someone to run and so I can be miserable ". lol Its kind of overwhelming because in our history itll be the first time we "run" together without me complaining, whining, quitting. So this is him running with a much improved me. Its also going to be emotional because its a run for veterans. My family is mostly all veterans so I have a week spot. I saw the preview online and OMG they play all this patriotic music during the run and have people out there...ahhh Im going to be a mess.
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    yes, this, you will love it. there is nothing quite like the energy around a race and being part of it. just pace yourself and dont crash out of the gates too hard :) have a blast
  • Chimis_Siq
    yes, this, you will love it. there is nothing quite like the energy around a race and being part of it. just pace yourself and dont crash out of the gates too hard :) have a blast

Thats my biggest focus. As a new runner I read this tip over and over again..so that will be my focus.
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    worst case you do come out to fast, you will still finish and you are still out there doing it, more than most can say. just remember to enjoy it too :) the thing i love about running is that its a race against yourself as well as others :)
  • Chimis_Siq
    worst case you do come out to fast, you will still finish and you are still out there doing it, more than most can say. just remember to enjoy it too :) the thing i love about running is that its a race against yourself as well as others :)

Im seriously so excited, nervous, anxious. Everyone is like dude you run a 5 k almost every day...eeek sooo excited.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Im seriously so excited, nervous, anxious. Everyone is like dude you run a 5 k almost every day...eeek sooo excited.

I'm an alum from part #1...so happy to hear you actually signed up for a 5K! Good 4 U...you're gonna love it! After this sign up for another and also sign up for a 1\2 to keep your training focused.

I'm doing my 1st full marathon at Disney World this coming January (just did my 10 mile long run in drenching humidity--not fun). I'll be following your progress and cheering you on from the sidelines.

For your 5K the most important advice I can give is to get in the porta-pottie line when you first arrive & bring your own TP just in case.

To help you remember not to start out too quick...put some slow, soothing music as the first couple songs on your iPod...I use classical, but some Barry White will do too.

Have a great race!
  • Chimis_Siq

I'm an alum from part #1...so happy to hear you actually signed up for a 5K! Good 4 U...you're gonna love it! After this sign up for another and also sign up for a 1\2 to keep your training focused.

I'm doing my 1st full marathon at Disney World this coming January (just did my 10 mile long run in drenching humidity--not fun). I'll be following your progress and cheering you on from the sidelines.

For your 5K the most important advice I can give is to get in the porta-pottie line when you first arrive & bring your own TP just in case.

To help you remember not to start out too quick...put some slow, soothing music as the first couple songs on your iPod...I use classical, but some Barry White will do too.

Have a great race!

Thanks for following me, I feel special!

Disney Land? OMG that would be amazing, I really want to do that one!!

Great advice, I never thought about bringing my own TP.. I want to sign up for a 10 k then a half, get some actual races under the belt . in a few weeks Ill start Galloways training plan... Hoping this rash goes away!