Office Treats - Not cool Rant

Options

Replies

• explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I am sure I will get a ton of "no one is forcing you to eat it" and you're right. But my "friends" sure don't make it any easier for me. I notoriously have no will power. Why do people want to tempt me??

This sounds like a problem with you, not a problem with any of your coworkers. If you don't have the willpower to avoid treats, then you need to get more willpower. The forks, knives, and spoons at work are right next to the dessert at my work. I have to walk past the pizza, fried chicken, ice cream, french fries, onion rings, and cake in order to get to them. It's life, you can't FORCE the rest of the world to adhere to your life. That's crazy.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I am beginning to think it's legitimately cruel to bring candy for co-workers to share at the office. I don't know how many times I have to ask people not to bring it in but it's like no one cares. I am trying so hard not to snack and it becomes so much harder when almost everyone has some sort of treat at their desk. I can only walk by it so many times without taking something.

I am sure I will get a ton of "no one is forcing you to eat it" and you're right. But my "friends" sure don't make it any easier for me. I notoriously have no will power. Why do people want to tempt me?? They think it's nice and I guess once in a while it's a nice treat, but to fill the candy bucket that you've had in your office since Halloween on a weekly basis is just not necessary. And it's always the people that don't eat it themselves! When you stop smoking or drinking or whatever, the professionals all say to stay away from things that trigger you. The amazing cookies that someone brought in today to say thank you for bridal shower gift is certainly a trigger. And it is right next to my cube! This articles helps prove my point.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/is-office-candy-jar-helping-make-you-fat/

Sorry for the rant. I'm just really upset about it. I am working really hard to be good. I am a working mom with an almost 2 hour commute each way and working out once I get home is really hard for me. I am not always able to burn the extra calories to make up for one bite size snickers. It can ruin my whole day. Okay, rant over. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Okay, so let's say no one brings in treats anymore. Then what? Temptation is everywhere. You have to learn how to manage it.

Also, it's difficult for most people, not just you.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Office treats are most certainly the bestest thing, like ever. Nobody is trying to sabotage your diet. Just because they are left out in the open, doesn't mean you need to eat them. Even if they are leaving them on your desk, you can move it somewhere else. Or you could do like most people and just fit the treats into your daily intake.
  • likewhoa712
    likewhoa712 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    2 hour commute and the danger of candy? The obvious answer is to quit your job.

^This. Lmao
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Steps to beating that office snack attack!

Step one: Take responsibility for your own actions.
    Step Two: Close your mouth
    Step Three: Do not try to forcibly insert food via the closed mouth. (Crumbs get everywhere)

With those three simple steps you can be totally cured of your office snacking habit! I'll be charging your credit card a one time fee of only 19.99 for my diet saving advice. (I think I can totally make a fortune on those three little steps!) Thanks!
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    You could also be an adult and decide not to eat any if you don't want it.
  • kwaz29
    kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Step Three: Do not try to forcibly insert food via the closed mouth. (Crumbs get everywhere)

With those three simple steps you can be totally cured of your office snacking habit! I'll be charging your credit card a one time fee of only 19.99 for my diet saving advice. (I think I can totally make a fortune on those three little steps!) Thanks!

With the amount of these threads being posted each week, you could be a billionaire in no time!
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    learn some control or JSF....your choice

can't change the people you work with, so change yourself instead \m/
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    You could also be an adult and decide not to eat any if you don't want it.

giphy.gif
  • eversosquidly
    eversosquidly Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    So, I am sure you're well aware of all the people saying "Hey, it's everyone's office, they're allowed to eat what they want." And absolutely: that's true.

No one is out to get you unless you actually have someone making an effort to bully you.

I didn't eat sugar for a year. An entire year. And it was really hard!!

But from the first week, I was still making food for other people. I made a baby shower cake. I made cupcakes for a party. I was in charge of something at school and I made a TON of candy to sell. (We own a candy business, so imagine repacking 50 pounds of buttercream icing. That's not easy!!)

But what IS easier is telling yourself that what someone else is doing isn't important. What's important is what you're doing. You need to find a way to redirect your anger from that leftover halloween candy bowl to what's holding you back from losing weight. And then work from there.

But no one likes the person that thinks the world revolves around them and everyone is out to get them. Trust me.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'll be serious for a second.

OP, we have snacks here often. Sometimes I'll indulge, sometimes I won't. It helps me to pre-log. I won't eat the candy if I'm really looking forward to the dinner I plan on having. Also, I always have snacks at my desk that I can account for such as apples, peanut butter and my graze box delivery.

We all slip up but what it comes down to really is will power. I would never expect people to change their habits because of my habits. That's just selfish.
  • Asherah29
    Options

With the amount of these threads being posted each week, you could be a billionaire in no time!

I'm gonna be rolling in the money!! Who else needs dieting advice????
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I am beginning to think it's legitimately cruel to bring candy for co-workers to share at the office.

I read the first sentence. I didn't need to read anything else.

It's called self-control OP. Try it.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    That seems very selfish of you, to be honest... Unless they're constantly bringing it by YOUR desk, then they aren't at fault for having treats at theirs. The burden of self control is on you and you alone. That's a BIG part of this journey called weight loss, is developing self control so that you keep failed temptation to a minimum. Please don't misinterpret what I'm saying as an attack on you. It's just that the workplace is often one of the worst places for temptation, due to everyone having different food lifestyles. Learn to adjust to your surroundings, so that you stay on track. In the end, it's YOUR journey and YOU are the only one who can control it.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    You are correct in that you will probably only get "no one is forcing you" responses. That's because it isn't your "friends" responsibility to make your food choices easy for you. It's yours. And only yours. For the rest of your life. YOU. Stop blaming others for your own issues. Many of us here know that's it's hard. I work in a school, there's free crap everywhere. But I accept that if I eat it, it's my decision and I have to live/plan accordingly.

I realize you are probably just looking for some validation on your feelings, but it ain't happening. Cuz to validate you is to tell you that your food choices aren't your fault, they are everyone else's. And that just isn't reality. Good luck avoiding the snacks.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAtWzxWuDVrepkdBuw7ike6DQsEERF0mc1FTt-vL3OKe4Fi14S
  • rue19
    rue19 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can totally sympathize with this. When I first lost 50 lbs, I worked in an office where they were constantly bringing in treats, having potlucks, and providing vendor samples. It was so hard. Everytime I turned down a treat, I had to will myself to do it. I constantly had to remind myself that I didn't need the treats. It also helped to remind myself how much stronger I would be if I turned it down, and it worked. Every time I said 'No," the next time was easier.

On a side note, my last office I sat next to a sweet little old lady who reminded me of my grandmother. She was constantly bringing me treats either from home or from the cafeteria. She always brought them "just for me," and gave them to me personally at my desk. This made me feel extremely guilty, so I never turned them down. No weight loss at that office!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    The adult thing to do is accept that you cannot blame others for what you consume nor expect others to change their habits because you cannot seem to say no.

But it's easier to throw a fit and JSF.
  • Asherah29
    Options
    Also I am curious as to how we get to the username of nutmegpoop... That has got to have a story behind it.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Hey they had sweet potato fries and onion rings yesterday. I didn't get up and run to get some like the others. I didn't have to-- its called self control.