Fast Food Workers Strikes = Win for better health

Options

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    It's not so much that they shouldn't make minimum wage, it's more about fair working conditions and livable wage/hours. Minimum wage isn't a liveable wage in most states and then to top it off the fast food places only give their workers about 10 hours a week but they make their schedules sporadically making it very hard for them to get a second job.

Nor is it supposed to be. Aspire to be more. Minimum wage isn't meant to pay a mortgage and car payments. It's to supplement another income, or get you through school with some cash for spending money. But i guess if you can parlay it with welfare, you might do ok.

I don't think you understand what I livable wage is. It would be a wage that could provide a person enough for food, clothing and rent on a small apartment. Minimum wage at full time hours is supposed to make that possible for unskilled workers. It is not supposed to provide enough to purchase a house, get a car, or really anything else. It is supposed to allow the necessities of life without having to go to food banks and the like.
  • kenc1971
    kenc1971 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    "If you don't want to earn minimum wage then go to college, gain more skills, etc"

What about the people who DID go to college? What is the excuse then? I know people who have Master's degrees and are unemployed.

They're supposed to go back to flipping burgers, with a student loan hanging over their head now, duh!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    A lot of UNSKILLED workers are unskilled because they were born into poverty and never had the opportunity to go to school to learn a SKILL that would enable them to get a higher paying job.

So what are they supposed to do, work three minimum wage jobs just to get by?

Everyone has the right to make enough money to flipping survive on. I work two jobs, I make more than minimum wage, I live alone, and I am barely getting by.

most people as we see in this thread feel a sense of superiority over those who "serve them" and hold the jobs that they would never dare stoop so low to hold (because they are too edumacated). society & its mass apathy towards those living in poverty absolutely disgusts me and this thread is full of it

people 100% deserve to make a living comfortable wage & have manageable hours even if they are "just flipping your burgers"

wow is this thread ever infuriating

Right? I work in retail. Last week I had no less than three people ask me: When are you going to get a real job?

Seriously? I make more money than they do (know this for a fact), I just choose to do a job that I enjoy (and yes, I'm uneducated). Whatever. Go ahead and judge, you judgey mcjudgersons. I don't even care. Your judgment says more about you than the people you're looking down on.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I try to keep politics away from MFP but there's a problem when you have executives who make 100 to 300 times what their lowest level employees make. It's even worse when you have CEO's/executives who come into a publicly traded company, make decisions that cost the company millions of dollars (hurt the investors who put money into the company and the employees that work there) and yet aren't required to return any of the money they made after leaving the company. And don't get me started about shipping jobs overseas.

Make executives accountable for the actions and make their compensation more reasonable. Give workers more fair pay. Just my 2 cents.
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    A lot of UNSKILLED workers are unskilled because they were born into poverty and never had the opportunity to go to school to learn a SKILL that would enable them to get a higher paying job.

Everyone has the right to make enough money to flipping survive on. I work two jobs, I make more than minimum wage, I live alone, and I am barely getting by.

most people as we see in this thread feel a sense of superiority over those who "serve them" and hold the jobs that they would never dare stoop so low to hold (because they are too edumacated). society & its mass apathy towards those living in poverty absolutely disgusts me and this thread is full of it

people 100% deserve to make a living comfortable wage & have manageable hours even if they are "just flipping your burgers"

I agree. If only people could try to imagine themselves doing this type of work, especially if they have no other option, it might help them to be a little empathetic. I personally don't see FF workers as "unskilled labor" at all. They might start off that way when they're hired, but they need to learn to tolerate standing for hours in one position, make very repetitive movements (which can cause health problems such as carpal tunnel syndrome), work in tandem with others, operate potentially dangerous equipment, and still be polite to customers, many of whom get obnoxious if they wait more than 30 seconds for their food. I'm very appreciative of food service workers who do a good job and keep things running smoothly.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Some information on how raising minimum wage would affect the economy and some demographics on who currently earns minimum wage.

http://www.epi.org/publication/ib341-raising-federal-minimum-wage/

13 states raised their minimum wage in January and have seen good economic growth since then.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

I agree. If only people could try to imagine themselves doing this type of work, especially if they have no other option, it might help them to be a little empathetic. I personally don't see FF workers as "unskilled labor" at all. They might start off that way when they're hired, but they need to learn tolerate standing for hours in one position, make very repetitive movements (which can cause health problems such as carpal tunnel syndrome), work in tandem with others, operate potentially dangerous equipment, and still be polite to customers, many of whom get obnoxious if they wait more than 30 seconds for their food. I'm very appreciative of food service workers who do a good job and keep things running smoothly.

There is a skill set required to do this work properly (it's called people skills). Customer service is NOT easy and not everyone can do it (as is evidenced by all the customer service complaints you see out there). You have to have thick, thick skin to do this job. You get yelled at for smiling, for not smiling, for talking, for not talking, for bagging things this way, for bagging them that way, for standing here, for moving that... you are constantly under attack in this profession and if you don't have the right skill set you won't last.
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    The fact is the buying power of the minimum wage, and all other wages, has decreased over the years. The minimum wage in 1968 was the equivalent of $10.69 in today's dollars. So, if the minimum wage today were to have the same buying power as the minimum in 1968, it would have to be raised by at least $3.44 an hour to meet that level. There is no question that skilled workers should be paid more than unskilled, but at this point, most workers in our economy are underpaid. If you are to argue that unskilled workers don't "deserve" a living wage, then you could argue that in 1912, when factory workers in Lawrence, MA, went on the Bread and Roses strike, they didn't deserve a living wage either. Employers and big businesses can always argue that people don't "deserve" their wages; we can go back to the days where people did "piece work" and made less than $1.00 a day because after all these are only low skilled humans not worth paying enough to live on.

I'm in Massachusetts and we just passed an increased minimum wage. I'm involved in community organizing in urban areas, besides teaching in one, and there are people working 2 and 3 jobs to make ends meet at minimum or near minimum wage. It's very easy to say "oh, go out and get an education and better yourself," which is easier said than done if you are working 2 or more jobs and have a family to feed, or if you are a young person in a low income family. In some of the urban immigrant households, the young people are also working and giving some of their income to help support their families as well as saving for college. At the university where I teach, some of the commuter urban students are often working minimum or near minimum wage jobs to pay for their educations. I did that when I was a student 30+ years ago, when the minimum wage was about $4.00, but college tuition was $2500 a year then. Before the new law, in Mass., the minimum was $8.00, but tuition at a state university
    is around $10,000 a year. These folks are like the proverbial Sisyphus, rolling the stone uphill that keeps rolling back downhill.

Also, social services, such as Medicaid and the SNAP program are actually subsidizing companies that don't pay a living wage because these employees end up at or near poverty level and applying for these programs. The MacDonald's and Wal-Marts of this world have perpetuated an entire underclass of working poor who need social services. Instead of hating these workers and labor unions, perhaps you should be redirecting your anger at the corporations who are making massive profits for themselves, but not paying their workers an adequate wage.

Thank you for this. I appreciate hearing from someone who's on the front lines in the fight against economic inequality.
  • brianpride
    brianpride Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy reading the posts about people who obviously have no idea what a minimum wage workers life is like. Where do you think 99.9% of these successful people started? Making at or near minimum wage. They then made decisions that led them out of that life.

I've worked in supermarket's, factories, and apartment maintenance. All fairly low wage positions to begin with, but I worked to improve my skills and my life. I know many people who are still "stuck" in the exact same jobs they had 5, 10, even 15 years ago. The predominant trait of those I've observed who don't advance is an adversarial attitude with their employer. They seem to think that something is owed to them for showing up. They spend an inordinate amount of their day griping about how stupid the boss is rather than doing the job that they agreed to do for the wage they agreed to. Not a good way to advance.

Another component that keeps people trapped in low wage conditions are the life choices that they have made. Statistical evidence shows that getting pregnant while young and unmarried is a major factor in women remaining in low wage jobs. The converse is also true, waiting to have a child until you are older and married majorly increases the likelihood of you NOT remaining poor. Unfortunately when people preach this to people today they are called names and demonized as being anti-__________ whatever fits the political agenda.

I think the minimum wage should be repealed altogether. There are natural rights in this world. Life, liberty, pursuit of happiness etc. When you legislate "rights" for one group, you infringe on the rights of others. Why should a business owner have their right to keep what they have earned taken away because someone else envies what they have.

Here is where you'll talk about the big corporations but "Small businesses make up: 99.7 percent of U.S. employer firms, 64 percent of net new private-sector jobs, 49.2 percent of private-sector employment." (www.sba.gov) So if you think you can exempt small business from a minimum wage catastrophe you will leave behind nearly 50% of private-sector employment.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Some information on how raising minimum wage would affect the economy and some demographics on who currently earns minimum wage.

13 states raised their minimum wage in January and have seen good economic growth since then.

In glancing at the report from 2012, it is mostly a speculation on how the GDP will rise by raising the minimum wage. That side of the ledger will logically rise. What it doesn't address is the inflationary effect, the sum total of thousands of businesses incrementally raising their prices to pay for the minimum wage. If a worker gets a 5% raise and the cost of living goes up 5%, that is a smoke and mirrors benefit that actually amounts to the minimum wage worker getting a zero net gain and society as a whole suffering from inflation. That is for the ones lucky enough to avoid having their hours reduced or their jobs cut.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    It's not so much that they shouldn't make minimum wage, it's more about fair working conditions and livable wage/hours. Minimum wage isn't a liveable wage in most states and then to top it off the fast food places only give their workers about 10 hours a week but they make their schedules sporadically making it very hard for them to get a second job.

Minimum wage isn't supposed to be a liveable wage. It should get you by in a pinch, in between jobs, in high school/college, etc

I've read a lot of dumb and questionable things today... I didn't expect to find the cake topper to be on MFP.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    One of my first jobs was at McDonalds. It wasn't all that HARD, and didn't require SKILLS, but it absolutely did suck, which motivated me to go to community college and get my nursing degree with no help or encouragement from anyone.

I don't buy the argument that privilege or money is required to get an education. Anyone can go to a community college. The poorer you are, the more grant money you get. Most community colleges provide child care, which is also free to low income students.

I have enjoyed making much more than minimum wage, and continued my education and continued to build job skills. ...By the way, being polite is not a "job skill," it is something that anyone can do if they are motivated to work.

I am now on the verge of getting my doctorate degree, which will provide me with another very substantial increase in income. I work full time, go to school full time, put in 20 clinical (unpaid) hours per week and raise a child. It is very HARD, but it sucks a lot less than working a lifetime at McDonalds.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options

In glancing at the report from 2012, it is mostly a speculation on how the GDP will rise by raising the minimum wage. That side of the ledger will logically rise. What it doesn't address is the inflationary effect, the sum total of thousands of businesses incrementally raising their prices to pay for the minimum wage. If a worker gets a 5% raise and the cost of living goes up 5%, that is a smoke and mirrors benefit that actually amounts to the minimum wage worker getting a zero net gain and society as a whole suffering from inflation. That is for the ones lucky enough to avoid having their hours reduced or their jobs cut.

But that's what people don't understand. It doesn't matter that the minimum wage is raised because cost of living and inflation will rise as well.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy reading the posts about people who obviously have no idea what a minimum wage workers life is like. Where do you think 99.9% of these successful people started? Making at or near minimum wage. They then made decisions that led them out of that life.

I've worked in supermarket's, factories, and apartment maintenance. All fairly low wage positions to begin with, but I worked to improve my skills and my life. I know many people who are still "stuck" in the exact same jobs they had 5, 10, even 15 years ago. The predominant trait of those I've observed who don't advance is an adversarial attitude with their employer. They seem to think that something is owed to them for showing up. They spend an inordinate amount of their day griping about how stupid the boss is rather than doing the job that they agreed to do for the wage they agreed to. Not a good way to advance.

Another component that keeps people trapped in low wage conditions are the life choices that they have made. Statistical evidence shows that getting pregnant while young and unmarried is a major factor in women remaining in low wage jobs. The converse is also true, waiting to have a child until you are older and married majorly increases the likelihood of you NOT remaining poor. Unfortunately when people preach this to people today they are called names and demonized as being anti-__________ whatever fits the political agenda.

Yes
    Yes
    and Yes.

I have worked for minimum wage since 2003, until my big break, a year ago this week, when 5 months after graduation and was very fortunate to find a job in my field.

I always knew what was expected of me at the minimum wage jobs as well as how much I was going to be compensated. I found it odd that co-workers, who were also aware of these things, would constantly complain about how unfair it was to be paid so poorly, or how unfair it was that the owner/president had nice cars and took vacations?!

I always had a plan to get out, and guess what...if I needed to go back to any of them, there will be a job waiting (I have tested this statement throughout school).

I don't understand. Am I just privileged?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

But that's what people don't understand. It doesn't matter that the minimum wage is raised because cost of living and inflation will rise as well.
    What people don't understand is that cost of living and inflation rise independently of that to begin with and if wages don't rise accordingly people end up with less money because everything is more expensive but they still make the same amount of money.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

Exactly! All of the arguments about fairness and equity are moot - the bottom line is, raising the minimum wage doesn't improve people's economic standing. It is a colossal waste of time and takes advantage of the economic illiteracy of those it is supposed to help - people wouldn't be striking and marching out on the streets if they truly understood what was happening.
  • dbmata
    Options
    What people don't understand is that cost of living and inflation rise independently of that to begin with and if wages don't rise accordingly people end up with less money because everything is more expensive but they still make the same amount of money.

Only undereducated people don't understand that.

Educated people understand the actual impact a higher minimum wage does, both in model form and in practical terms. Simply put, it allows people a higher quality of life, and doesn't have a tangible impact on cost of living.

However, it's far more politically convenient to crow that it will cause an increase in cost of living. Granted, it may increase the cost of a big mac for the short term.
  • jfboomer
    jfboomer Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Anyone who thinks a minimum wage is a good idea doesn't understand basic economics.

Let's say minimum wage is raised by 10% - how do employers react? They either 1) cut jobs / reduce hours / reduce other benefits / reduce services or 2) raise product costs to offset as much of the 10%.

So a McDonald's worker gets paid 10% more, but when the market adjusts with everyone that employs minimum wage labor raising prices, he is either going to lose his job/accept less hours and/or will find that his cost of living has increased by the same amount, thereby negating the raise.

"We win, I got a raise!! We stuck it to the man - but hey, why hasn't my lifestyle improved?? Oh yeah, inflation."

The market will always react adversely to artificial price controls.

So, by your stellar logic, anyone getting a raise is bad for the economy.

When people, especially the lower and middle class are paid more, they increase their spending. Boosting the economy.

Of course this can be proven by looking at what's happened any time the minimum wage has been increased or in states where workers are paid more. They typically enjoy a better economy than states where workers are paid the minimum.

But you keep believing whatever your masters tell you. Shine their boots up real nice. You're lucky to be there after all.

No, getting raises are good - however, getting a government imposed raise is not good for the economy.

No, the lower and middle class do not increase their spending, because they either lose their jobs, have their hours reduced, or the goods and services they spend money on are more expensive because of the inflation caused by the minimum wage increase.

I do believe what my "masters tell me" - by masters, I'm sure you are referencing the master of science in management degree I have, which entailed completing several advanced economic courses.

For what its worth - I have an MSc (in an actual science) and scientists are some of the least politically informed people I have ever met.
    Confusing politics with economics?

Confusing the two?

Are you seriously trying to suggest that strands of economics are somehow not aligned to a political ideology?
    Economic policy, yes. Repercussions of said policy, no.
  • dbmata
    Options

99.9%? The bootstrap fallacy? Lol. No. Most of them came from ample resources and patronage.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    I'm not really following your logic here, sorry.

Yeah me either. All the company has to do is fire those people who refuse to go to work and hire more.

It's not the fast food industry's fault that people are obese. No one is forcing you to eat it 24/7.

thankfully, nobody forces one to eat it at all, and should we care about anything, none of us would and we could have those workers be paid to work in restaurants that actually care about food, the environment and their staff.