Help me not fall into the Coke Zero trap!!

Options

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Here is a nice little contribution a MFP member made a few months back that breaks down the just of the whole Aspartame argument...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Aaron_K123/view/aspartame-665051

The amount one would have to consume before it even became a factor is ridiculous and well beyond what the normal person drinking it in moderation would ever have to worry about...
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I can't believe no one has mentioned the real problem with diet soda.

ASPARTAME

This stuff will mess you up bad, it is worse than poison and it's USDA approved.

Unless someone has a specific sensitivity to it, there should be no concern.

Poison = dead

Aspartame = tasty and zero calories

This does not seem an appropriate comparison.
  • markink81
    markink81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    so for the record you have people who have lost 300 plus and two at one hundred plus pounds saying its not harmful, at least to us......

even if it does have negative side effects.... BIG IF.... the benefit of the weight lost is a far larger benefit

Two thumbs up!!! and pass me a diet soda!
  • Jazz_2014
    Jazz_2014 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Read Mayo clinics (augus 2010) article, "Stop drinking Soda".

It provides a list of problems that may or maynot concern a person if they drink soda. One could argue water is bad for a person, particularly city water.
    Personally I won't drink a soda.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options

ASPARTAME

This stuff will mess you up bad, it is worse than poison and it's USDA approved.

lol, you buy a box of rat poison, i'll buy a box of sucralose or aspertame.... see who makes it to the finish line first :P
    love it!
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I understand the serious Coca Cola addiction because I too had a serious problem (oh it is so tasty!) I can't stand the taste of diet soda so I gave it up completely. Switched to penguin mints - same caffeine as a can of cola but only 5 calories (in mints the artificial sweetener doesn't have the same nasty taste it does in soda to me - not sure why). Haven't had a coke since June (and to be fair, I have allowed myself to have the option on a long car trip - helps with the car sickness for me) and yes, there are days I do miss it (oh, a nice large coke from McDonald's while doing spring cleaning was my thing) a lot. Since there are no real, scientific studies showing that they can be harmful, I say if you like the taste then go for it. I really wish I could stand it but unfortunately it is just so horrible to me - makes me so sad. I have heard some of the other diet sodas are better but honestly if it isn't a Coke then I am not interested.
  • Ow3593
    Ow3593 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This thread is 100% bull****. Aspartame isn't unhealthy according to research. Hippies these days...
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options

ASPARTAME

lol, you buy a box of rat poison, i'll buy a box of sucralose or aspertame.... see who makes it to the finish line first :P
    love it!

i love the number of over 100 plus pound and greater losses that are advocating that there is generally nothing wrong with it... kinda says it all to me
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of fizzy sweet caffeine laden sugar free drinks on the market. You just have to educate yourself. Read labels. Its simple.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    :love: Coke Zero

21525558.png
  • stackhsc
    Options

21525558.png

lets start a debate that really matters......

Pepsi MAX :love: lol
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I drink a diet soda every night. I'm not dead and still losing.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

21525558.png

Gross! Pepsi tastes like flat Coke. Team Coke Zero!!! :drinker: :love:
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options

21525558.png

Coke is nothing but overly sweet brown water. DNW.

Pepsit Max or gtfo
  • Ump78
    Ump78 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Tastes great!
    Less filling!
    Tastes great!
    Less filling!
  • stackhsc
    Options

see i think its the other way around lol
  • creamvespa
    Options
    Not only is it a carcinogen, but it also has shown, like diet drinks, to deposit fat around the mid section.

It gives you NOTHING other than bad things.

so it's up to you. is it worth it? all the negatives? for .. what? is it really that tasty ?

Perhaps you are referring to artificial sweeteners (e.g. Aspartame, sucralose, saccharin) shown to cause benign ( non cancerous ) brain tumors in mice in some studies.
  • atreides42
    atreides42 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I understand the serious Coca Cola addiction because I too had a serious problem (oh it is so tasty!) I can't stand the taste of diet soda so I gave it up completely. Switched to penguin mints - same caffeine as a can of cola but only 5 calories (in mints the artificial sweetener doesn't have the same nasty taste it does in soda to me - not sure why). Haven't had a coke since June (and to be fair, I have allowed myself to have the option on a long car trip - helps with the car sickness for me) and yes, there are days I do miss it (oh, a nice large coke from McDonald's while doing spring cleaning was my thing) a lot. Since there are no real, scientific studies showing that they can be harmful, I say if you like the taste then go for it. I really wish I could stand it but unfortunately it is just so horrible to me - makes me so sad. I have heard some of the other diet sodas are better but honestly if it isn't a Coke then I am not interested.

Coke Classic from McDonald's is the BEST!!!!!!!!!!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    "When you drink Coke, you drink the blood of people."

"There are strong environmental and human rights reasons to ban the production of soft drinks in India. Each plant of Coke and Pepsi extracts 1 – 2 million litres per day. If each plant is extracting 1 – 2 million litres per day and there are 90 plants, the daily extraction is between 90 – 180 million litres. This could meet the daily requirement of drinking water of millions of people Each litre of soft drink destroys and pollutes 10 litres of water. And the toxic sludge generated has been found to have high levels of Cadmium and Lead (Pollution Control Board, Kerala, Hazard Centre).

"Long term exposure to Cadmium has the potential to cause effects like kidney dysfunction, damage to bone, liver and blood. Lead affects the central nervous system, kidney, blood and cardio-vascular system. Women in a small hamlet in Kerala succeeded in shutting down a Coca-Cola plant. “When you drink Coke, you drink the blood of people,” said Mylamma, the woman who started the movement against Coca-Cola in Plachimada. The Coca-Cola plant in Plachimada was commissioned in March 2000 to produce 1,224,000 bottles of Coca-Cola products a day and issued a conditional license to install a motor-driven water pump by the panchayat. However, the company started to illegally extract millions of liters of clean water. According to the local people, Coca-Cola was extracting 1.5 million liters per day. The water level started to fall, dropping from 150 to 500 feet below the earth’s surface. Tribals and farmers complained that water storage and supply were being adversely affected by indiscriminate installation of bore wells for tapping groundwater, resulting in serious consequences for crop cultivation. The wells were also threatening traditional drinking-water sources, ponds and water tanks, waterways and canals. When the company failed to comply with the panchayat request for details, a show-cause notice was served and the license was cancelled. Coca-Cola unsuccessfully tried to bribe the panchayat president A. Krishnan, with 300 million rupees."

source: http://zcomm.org/zcommentary/coke-pepsi-and-the-politics-of-food-safety-by-vandana2-shiva/

hth!

ps if you're really jonesing for a soda, get a plain seltzer and sweeten it with a little juice, the best and freshest you can afford.

Umm, my can of Diet Pepsi says its bottled in "Purchase, NY." Is that close to India?:huh: Hey MFP peeps from NY--how's the environment there? Good? I thought so. My (and everyone else outside of India) soft drink consumption has no "Indian blood" in it. That's just fear-mongering propaganda.

And for the "OMG! Aspartame is the evil badness" folk--there is a sticky thread at the top of this forum just for you to read through, if you'd like to know what it really is and how it metabolizes.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Mmmm... sweet, sweet Diet Blood of the People! :drinker: