Tips for a ROOKIE REGISTERED for a FULL MARATHON

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Im seriously so excited, nervous, anxious. Everyone is like dude you run a 5 k almost every day...eeek sooo excited.

I'm an alum from part #1...so happy to hear you actually signed up for a 5K! Good 4 U...you're gonna love it! After this sign up for another and also sign up for a 1\2 to keep your training focused.

I'm doing my 1st full marathon at Disney World this coming January (just did my 10 mile long run in drenching humidity--not fun). I'll be following your progress and cheering you on from the sidelines.

For your 5K the most important advice I can give is to get in the porta-pottie line when you first arrive & bring your own TP just in case.

To help you remember not to start out too quick...put some slow, soothing music as the first couple songs on your iPod...I use classical, but some Barry White will do too.

Have a great race!

Thanks for following me, I feel special!

Disney Land? OMG that would be amazing, I really want to do that one!!

Great advice, I never thought about bringing my own TP.. I want to sign up for a 10 k then a half, get some actual races under the belt . in a few weeks Ill start Galloways training plan... Hoping this rash goes away!

Where is this rash?
  • pink_daisychain
    pink_daisychain Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Intrigued to read the first post now! Well done you for keeping at it!!
    I decided in May that i was going to do a 10k and signed up for it in July. Had never run before and followed c25k and then went it alone. I managed the 10k and have now signed up for another in November and then a 1/2 marathon in May next year!
    Looking forward to reading about your progress :) x
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Im seriously so excited, nervous, anxious. Everyone is like dude you run a 5 k almost every day...eeek sooo excited.

I'm an alum from part #1...so happy to hear you actually signed up for a 5K! Good 4 U...you're gonna love it! After this sign up for another and also sign up for a 1\2 to keep your training focused.

I'm doing my 1st full marathon at Disney World this coming January (just did my 10 mile long run in drenching humidity--not fun). I'll be following your progress and cheering you on from the sidelines.

For your 5K the most important advice I can give is to get in the porta-pottie line when you first arrive & bring your own TP just in case.

To help you remember not to start out too quick...put some slow, soothing music as the first couple songs on your iPod...I use classical, but some Barry White will do too.

Have a great race!

Great advice, I never thought about bringing my own TP.. I want to sign up for a 10 k then a half, get some actual races under the belt . in a few weeks Ill start Galloways training plan... Hoping this rash goes away!

Where is this rash?

Freakin everywhere! boobs, side of body, back, butt, back of knees, shoulders. Went to dr 2x.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    Intrigued to read the first post now! Well done you for keeping at it!!
    I decided in May that i was going to do a 10k and signed up for it in July. Had never run before and followed c25k and then went it alone. I managed the 10k and have now signed up for another in November and then a 1/2 marathon in May next year!
    Looking forward to reading about your progress :) x

So awesome!!! I didnt really have a plan after C25k , cuz lets be honest, the first monster for me was C25k..lol When I actually got to the end..I said...holy crap, what now? My app said " Sign up for 10 k! " Clicked on it and apparently there was a continuation of the C25k!! So there it is, went through with it and 2 weeks away from finishing. Next I have to jump on the Marathon plan for May of 2015.

Great work !! How did your body do during 10k? Tips?
  • likitisplit
    Options

Have a great race!

Where is this rash?

Freakin everywhere! boobs, side of body, back, butt, back of knees, shoulders. Went to dr 2x.

Aveeno oatmeal bath and some benedryl is all I've got.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

Have a great race!

Where is this rash?

Aveeno oatmeal bath and some benedryl is all I've got.
    Havent tried the Aveeno bath yet. Dr first gave me Hydrocortisone cream for itch and some pill for itch as well..didnt work. Went in again yesterday adn she put me on steroids and a stronger cream. The rash doesnt look like its spreading anymore so thats good, now we shall see what a few days of the meds will do. Its been a little rough. Alot of itch. Uncomfortable all day......

She said she is 100% certain its a heat rash...
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    In because I've taken up running, too, and tips are always good.

Not training for anything specific, just starting half-marathon training as a ?logical? step after completing C25K and figuring out that I'm also capable of running 10K, and it really isn't all that difficult for me at this point. I think it must be all the heavy lifting I did. Let me start out in a good position of strength and conditioning.

I found that I was able to easily run 6 miles a few weeks after finishing C25k. I did a 10k and felt like I could run forever so I signed up for a half-marathon.

I quickly found that my limit was 7 - 7.5 miles at that point. I trained for the half and enjoyed it, but it was a challenge and a commitment. Of course, your mileage may vary.

A marathon is a totally different beast.

Yeah I found that I didn't just run a marathon for 26.2 miles but I ran my marathon for months and months as the training commitment was HIGH. The marathon itself was a bit rough. It was the longest race I ever ran. I did run 20 miles during my training but that was at a very comfortable jog and I wasn't pushing myself AT ALL as I was just trying to get distance in that morning. I was running 4 days a week, some weeks every day for 5 miles or more and my long runs on the weekend surpassed 1/2 marathon length. I'm considering the training implications or running another one next year because my first marathon was in a canyon and I'd like to having something comparatively flatter.

But yeah different beast and it's not just race day.

I get that a marathon is a whole 'nother thing. My former supervisor (we still talk now and again) runs marathons regularly. Ran in the Boston marathon in 2013 (maybe this year's, too) - finished before the explosions, thankfully. Have another coworker who runs marathons as well. I get to hear the war stories. :smile:

I'm using the half-marathon training because I like to have a plan and a goal. I may never sign up for a race - just not all that interested. I prefer competing with myself for the most part.

Oh, and I just finished the 7mi long run - today's my rest day just following. Legs are a touch achy, but I still managed deadlifts, squats, and a short turn on the bike. Should be OK for the rest of the week. Curious to see if I fall on my face during the 8 mi run next week - it's a real possibility, legs were feeling kind of numb around 6.5 miles on ...
  • mrsmitchell0510
    mrsmitchell0510 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    In for the updates!
    I'm in Week 3 of the 10k trainer and maybe this will help keep me motivated!
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options

Yeah I found that I didn't just run a marathon for 26.2 miles but I ran my marathon for months and months as the training commitment was HIGH. The marathon itself was a bit rough. It was the longest race I ever ran. I did run 20 miles during my training but that was at a very comfortable jog and I wasn't pushing myself AT ALL as I was just trying to get distance in that morning. I was running 4 days a week, some weeks every day for 5 miles or more and my long runs on the weekend surpassed 1/2 marathon length. I'm considering the training implications or running another one next year because my first marathon was in a canyon and I'd like to having something comparatively flatter.

I agree with this, I actually found the training much harder than the actual marathon, I had trouble with my achilles last year, so the majority of my training was done on trails, but the longest trail loop I had was 8 miles, so I was running the same trails 4 times a week and then having to double the loops on my long runs, I was sick of the forest by the end of the training, my times were getting worse because it was the same route all the time (the issue was it was only 2min from my house, so I could get back home and bed quickly), couldn't remember the last time I had a hot bath, if there wasn't ice in it, I didn't know what to do,
    It really is the time commitment for marathon training that's the biggest issue, if I wasn't training I was sleeping, my life was on hold for 18 weeks to make sure the runs were done, the day of the marathon was just the achievement, your friend find you boring, because all you can talk about is your training (it's all you have to talk about)
    However I was one of these people that start of about week 14, that seriously questioned why the hell I thought this was a good idea, and continued to have those doubts, right up until 5min after I had finished, when I was planning the next one!!!
    Glad you're doing a half first, it was one of the things I regretted, it would have given me a lot more confidence if I had!

Good Luck, remember, your time doesn't matter, finishing does:)
  • pink_daisychain
    Options
    The 10k was good. The furthest i had done before it was 4.5miles so there was some walking involved. Plus it was the hottest day of the year so far when i did it!!! Was not prepared for that but still made it round in one piece! Im doing the other 10k in November and hoping to improve my time quite a bit as ive had more time to train, will have lost more weight and hopefully the cold will make me run faster!! :laugh:

I find the best thing for me is listening to podcasts rather than music. I like to be distracted by a good topic and then before i know it ive already done 4/5 miles! Also i pick routes on quiet roads or on paths as I hate car fumes, i find it hard enough to breath already when im running lol! And do a loop so i dont have to run the same bit twice.

:smile:
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    The 10k was good. The furthest i had done before it was 4.5miles so there was some walking involved. Plus it was the hottest day of the year so far when i did it!!! Was not prepared for that but still made it round in one piece! Im doing the other 10k in November and hoping to improve my time quite a bit as ive had more time to train, will have lost more weight and hopefully the cold will make me run faster!! :laugh:

I find the best thing for me is listening to podcasts rather than music. I like to be distracted by a good topic and then before i know it ive already done 4/5 miles! Also i pick routes on quiet roads or on paths as I hate car fumes, i find it hard enough to breath already when im running lol! And do a loop so i dont have to run the same bit twice.

Yeah, same here. Furthest to date is 4.82 miles. Irun in hellish heat too..so hopefully taht will benefit me later in the year and in my Marathon next year. I use my phone so far on my runs cuz they arent that long, but will have to find a way or another form of entertainment when I run the marathon...or maybe ill have to learn to run without and once I really need the boost turn on the phone. What is your running pace?
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

I agree with this, I actually found the training much harder than the actual marathon, I had trouble with my achilles last year, so the majority of my training was done on trails, but the longest trail loop I had was 8 miles, so I was running the same trails 4 times a week and then having to double the loops on my long runs, I was sick of the forest by the end of the training, my times were getting worse because it was the same route all the time (the issue was it was only 2min from my house, so I could get back home and bed quickly), couldn't remember the last time I had a hot bath, if there wasn't ice in it, I didn't know what to do,
    It really is the time commitment for marathon training that's the biggest issue, if I wasn't training I was sleeping, my life was on hold for 18 weeks to make sure the runs were done, the day of the marathon was just the achievement, your friend find you boring, because all you can talk about is your training (it's all you have to talk about)
    However I was one of these people that start of about week 14, that seriously questioned why the hell I thought this was a good idea, and continued to have those doubts, right up until 5min after I had finished, when I was planning the next one!!!
    Glad you're doing a half first, it was one of the things I regretted, it would have given me a lot more confidence if I had!

Ive heard the same, that the training is much harder then the marathon. I guess this may hold some truth for most sports. I have yet to take an ice bath, for me the heat makes me feel better in the soreness area, however , that may be because I have short runs .
  • pink_daisychain
    Options
    Today's 4 mile run i averaged 11.22 per mile. When im at the gym ive been doing some speed work on the treadmill for the last 6/7 weeks since the 10k and its improved a lot as it was about 13.30 per mile before. Plus ive lost more weight which will have helped me get a bit quicker.
    I really want to do my next 10k in about 60/65 mins so need to keep improving my time. I find when im outside i tend to start off too fast so been trying to keep a steady pace the whole time which is helping but hard to do!

Are you still enjoying doing it? Do you think you will carry on once you have done the marathon? Another reason i signed up for the other 10k was to make sure i didn't have too much off a rest from training before my half next year. I think having the goals really help to keep you motivated.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

Ive heard the same, that the training is much harder then the marathon. I guess this may hold some truth for most sports. I have yet to take an ice bath, for me the heat makes me feel better in the soreness area, however , that may be because I have short runs .

Heat WILL make you feel better, in the short term, but you'll be sore pretty well when you exit the tub/shower. Ice Baths SUCK, but they are your key to recovery along with foam rolling, proper stretching and proper nutrition. I'm not saying take an ice bath after EVERY run, but when you are in the thick of your marathon training and you are running distances longer than a half marathon (if not longer than 10 miles) give it serious thought.

This is definitely a case of what feels good isn't necessarily good for you.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

Yeah, same here. Furthest to date is 4.82 miles. Irun in hellish heat too..so hopefully taht will benefit me later in the year and in my Marathon next year. I use my phone so far on my runs cuz they arent that long, but will have to find a way or another form of entertainment when I run the marathon...or maybe ill have to learn to run without and once I really need the boost turn on the phone. What is your running pace?

I put together playlists for my Half and Full marathon. I did my best to figure out my expected pace and then planned out the music to start with classical music to keep me from rabbiting at the starts but then switch over to faster music after a resonable distance (5 miles for the half, 13 miles for the full). It's not that I can't run without music, its just that I really disconnect from the fact that I'm going to be running for the next 4-5 hours and instead just chill and listen to the music.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    Today's 4 mile run i averaged 11.22 per mile. When im at the gym ive been doing some speed work on the treadmill for the last 6/7 weeks since the 10k and its improved a lot as it was about 13.30 per mile before. Plus ive lost more weight which will have helped me get a bit quicker.
    I really want to do my next 10k in about 60/65 mins so need to keep improving my time. I find when im outside i tend to start off too fast so been trying to keep a steady pace the whole time which is helping but hard to do!

Are you still enjoying doing it? Do you think you will carry on once you have done the marathon? Another reason i signed up for the other 10k was to make sure i didn't have too much off a rest from training before my half next year. I think having the goals really help to keep you motivated.

Thats awesome that youve gotten faster! Great feat. I ran last night but it was the tread, so I had help, but I ran at 13-13:50 pace for my 4 miles. Typically outside I have been running at 13:00-15:00 min pace depending on the heat . Typically around 100 degrees or less I can run at 13 ish...more then 103 and I start to slow down...

I am enjoying the process. I get a little overwhelmed in the beginning almost anxious to know if I can finish the runs. My program keeps bumping up the minutes on me..and it may not seem alot but running 5 extra minutes is killer for me! lo...surprisingly after each run im so happy because I finished it and didnt stop :). I do think I will continue to run. So far I do enjoy it. I have even learned that on stressful days at work I actually look forward to just coming home and running..which is something I never thought Id say. Also, when I miss my run when I had it planned I feel like ididnt accomplish much. lol. On days I get my run in I feel very accomplished and it kind of carries into the rest of my day. Dont know if this is all normal ..just learning about my mental stamina and physical stamina everyday. Ive never "pushed" myself like this tod o something I thought I hated and couldnt do.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

I put together playlists for my Half and Full marathon. I did my best to figure out my expected pace and then planned out the music to start with classical music to keep me from rabbiting at the starts but then switch over to faster music after a resonable distance (5 miles for the half, 13 miles for the full). It's not that I can't run without music, its just that I really disconnect from the fact that I'm going to be running for the next 4-5 hours and instead just chill and listen to the music.

I agree with you. So far with musica I feel in the zone...just everything around me stops...I can feel my heartbeat, my breath...its like im in a bubble. Then a song comes on and its faster paced and I instantly perk up and run a little faster...
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

Heat WILL make you feel better, in the short term, but you'll be sore pretty well when you exit the tub/shower. Ice Baths SUCK, but they are your key to recovery along with foam rolling, proper stretching and proper nutrition. I'm not saying take an ice bath after EVERY run, but when you are in the thick of your marathon training and you are running distances longer than a half marathon (if not longer than 10 miles) give it serious thought.

This is definitely a case of what feels good isn't necessarily good for you.

I cant compare ice baths yet for my recovery. When I first started running it was not the most pleasurable. I was using my body in a form I hadnt used in the year previous (cardio, HIIT, machines). A 20 bath in hot water and empsom salts helped alot. I would get out and just feel like jelly. Plop into bed and go to sleep and the next morning no soreness. I can only remember being sore 2 times out of the whole 13 weeks. ... I would have to say that the baths helped me in that I believe. I have reat that the ice baths do help in recovery for long runs..so trust me I will try anything once..

I guess Ill know more as my body adapts to longer and longer runs....a whole learning process I tell you. I thought running was going to be just easy..lol Runners make running look so easy.....
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I'm an ice bath proponent, but it's one of the things research is ambiguous about and runners eternally argue.

Yeah, I totally thought I'd be popping out whenever for a three mile sprint after a big lunch. One of my biggest learnings my first year was the fact that you CAN'T run most of the time. That you've got to be committed to a long term plan to get anywhere and stay uninjured. That you do most of it slow and easy. Not my idea of what running would be at all.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Thats awesome that youve gotten faster! Great feat. I ran last night but it was the tread, so I had help, but I ran at 13-13:50 pace for my 4 miles. Typically outside I have been running at 13:00-15:00 min pace depending on the heat . Typically around 100 degrees or less I can run at 13 ish...more then 103 and I start to slow down...

I am enjoying the process. I get a little overwhelmed in the beginning almost anxious to know if I can finish the runs. My program keeps bumping up the minutes on me..and it may not seem alot but running 5 extra minutes is killer for me! lo...surprisingly after each run im so happy because I finished it and didnt stop :). I do think I will continue to run. So far I do enjoy it. I have even learned that on stressful days at work I actually look forward to just coming home and running..which is something I never thought Id say. Also, when I miss my run when I had it planned I feel like ididnt accomplish much. lol. On days I get my run in I feel very accomplished and it kind of carries into the rest of my day. Dont know if this is all normal ..just learning about my mental stamina and physical stamina everyday. Ive never "pushed" myself like this tod o something I thought I hated and couldnt do.

When I was training for my half, I got used to looking at my plan, having a good laugh at the fact they thought I was capable of it, finishing the run as planned, showering and going to sleep.

The feeling of accomplishment is normal. It is such a great way of learning about mental vs. physical boundaries - because you gently push against them both.