DO I REALLY NEED TO GIVE UP CARBS

Options

Replies

• Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Only processed white carbs like apples and potatoes.

Apples and potatoes are processed?

Thank you, I was also going to ask...
  • vegkitten
    vegkitten Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    GOD NO! I've had three kids, most of my diet consists of carbs, and my stomach is pretty damn tight. Love me all the carbs.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options

Apples and potatoes are processed?

Thank you, I was also going to ask...

Apples do have a lot of chemicals in them. That can't be good for you.

21ovafn.jpg

I'd just stick to Breyers ice cream to be safe.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    (in the tune of that iritating doorbell)
    no no no noooooo no no no no.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Now I'm no big city doctor, but, NO.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by carbs .... and if you are Insulin Resitant or have Diabeties. There are really only 3 food sources .... carbohydrates, protein, fat. That's it. So NO .... do not cut carbs out of our meals. Just choose the better ones.
  • liftnlove_
    liftnlove_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    No you do not. I just recently competed at around 5% bodyfat, consistently eating about 200gm of carbs a day. And I had abs...you can check my pics if you doubt it. :)
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    <
    Achieved without giving up carbs
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Heh. And cauliflower, of course.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Do i really need to give up carbs for a tight tummy?!? I was told this, but im not sure?
    Never! Moderation is the key.
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    No, its true that you could lose fast cutting out carbs, HOWEVER it is very unhealthy to do so, your body needs good carbs(whole grains,veggies) your body uses this for energy cutting them out is not maintainable and leads to yoyo dieting which is very bad for your health, worse even then if you were to remain over weight in most cases. Adopting a healthy balenced eatting style (i recommend plant based) and regular exerise may not be as fast but is much healthier and maintainable
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are just as processed, just because they're not white.
  • JGonzo82
    JGonzo82 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    NO. I love me some carbs. Unless you have some medical condition that you haven't disclosed, there is no reason whatsoever for you to give up carbs.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    No you do not. I just recently competed at around 5% bodyfat, consistently eating about 200gm of carbs a day. And I had abs...you can check my pics if you doubt it. :)
    <
    Achieved without giving up carbs

There have been plenty of good examples of people in this thread saying no, but seeing these two posting in a row.....how much more evidence do ya really need?
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Absent a medical condition such as diabetes, which may require a significant diet restructuring, my experience is as follows.

I've lost nearly 25 pounds in 75 days, and I get a bare minimum of exercise.

And I'm notorious for my love of sugar carbs, of pasta, of bread, etc.

Yes, I made the choice to eat less of those things. I'm eating fewer processed foods (although certainly I still eat quite a few!).

I still get a ton of carbs in my daily diet - an apple has 22g of carbs; a half cup of Greek yogurt has 22 grams of carbs. Bob's Red Mill 10 grain hot cereal has 28g of carbs.

Frankly, I don't worry about how many carbs are in what. My metric is, is it worth the calorie cost? Do I enjoy the food enough that I'm willing to spend the calories? Does the food satisfy my hunger?

I admit, a serving of breakfast cereal (carefully weighed out!) with a measured half cup of milk are an *amazing* treat.
    The donuts I like are 290 calories.
    An Elvis-style waffle (with a side of bacon!) at Cheesecake Factory is 650 calories.
    Two squares of graham crackers with 1 Tablespoon of cream cheese sandwiched between them is an amazingly decadent dessert for only 92 calories and 13 carbs.

Many fruits and vegetables have carbs in them. A red bell pepper has 9g; a cup of cucumber slices has 3g of carbs.

Sure, processed foods with a lot of grains in them have a lot of calories, and generally less nutrition and less satiety for the "cost" in calories.

It pretty much comes down to choose wisely, and choose what works for you. I hate to say it - and it took me 20 years to embrace the necessity, but more important than what you eat is *knowing* what you eat, and being (reasonably) honest with yourself about the impact of what you eat.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    (in the tune of that iritating doorbell)
    no no no noooooo no no no no.

lol, that really is the worst doorbell ever
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Are we yelling because we're angry at the thought of having to give up carbs? Because that would make me yell too.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by carbs .... and if you are Insulin Resitant or have Diabeties. There are really only 3 food sources .... carbohydrates, protein, fat. That's it. So NO .... do not cut carbs out of our meals. Just choose the better ones.
    Oreos are the bestest, Choose oreos #oreosforpresident