DO I REALLY NEED TO GIVE UP CARBS

Options

Replies

• kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    As someone who has PCOS and insulin resistance I agree with those that are saying you can still eat carbs. However if you find that you have done better with lower carbs in the past, maybe try mostly sticking to complex carbs and fruits and veggies, and keeping the less healthy carbs as an every so often treat. I am currently trying to cut my carb intake based on my endo and dietician's recommendation and finding it hard, so if you don't have to drastically lower them like me, I would say don't it isn't easy.

You might try looking at your macros to make sure on a normal basis the carbs aren't really high like over 60% type of thing on a regular basis! that might not be so good and would indicate you need more protein and fat.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    are you sure about that?

i'm a type 2 diabetic, not on medication, and i eat 120 to 160 grams of carbs per day. i'm 57, and am losing a pound a week and my fasting and eating blood sugar is under half of what it was on may 1 this year.

were you eating the same amount of calories before paleo as you are now?
    carbs are death,..... to people like me...type 2 diabetic....i eat maybe 10 to 15 grams of carbs a day....but then again...im 61 and an old fart and not really concerned about a flat tummy....

PALEO eating has worked wonders for me though....PALEO in itself is not a low low carb diet but it can be....

i have been on this plan for 3 months now and have cured about all that is wrong with me....

just sayin....
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I've weighed 103 pounds for two years. About 55% of my calories are carbs. Seems to be working fine. I stay in my calorie limits and eat a wide variety of foods.
  • IrisFlute
    IrisFlute Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Just want to say that cutting carbs does feel right to some of us.

For me, limiting myself to about 96 to 106 grams of carbs (30% of my calorie intake) has felt perfect. Jump-started my weight loss when it had slowed down, gives me more energy, and keeps me from being hungry. I love the way my body feels on a low-carb diet.

Just wanted to add another voice to the mix.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not!!! Your body needs carbs. . You should be more concerned about the types of carbs you are eating and the time of day that you are consuming them. . . :bigsmile:

Ignore the time of day thing. It does not matter when you eat your carbs.

I am about to certify as a physical trainer and yes if you eat complex carbs for dinner unless you are doing a late workout they just sit in your system while you are watching tv and sleeping. . .

now fruit and veggies in the evening are okay. but breads rices, and pastas should be eaten earlier in the day.

So what if they sit in my system? You're telling me my body shuts down completely at night and that the activity I do throughout the day or even the next day doesn't matter? Game over? Or?

Because...this entire pint of gelato I'm eating tonight RIGHT before bed is still gonna happen because 53 lbs lost and considerably amount of body fat lost later....I think I'm doing okay. You can keep your quackery.

If you need a second reference to this you might pick up a copy of BOB HARPERS BOOK " Skinny Meals" And Please feel free to tell him as a physical trainer that he doesn't know what he is talking about. . . I think his record speaks for itself!:smile:
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    no
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Just want to say that cutting carbs does feel right to some of us.

For me, limiting myself to about 96 to 106 grams of carbs (30% of my calorie intake) has felt perfect. Jump-started my weight loss when it had slowed down, gives me more energy, and keeps me from being hungry. I love the way my body feels on a low-carb diet.

Just wanted to add another voice to the mix.

Jump starting isn't a thing. Unless you're talking about the glycogen store drop off that makes the scale appear to be giving you faster weight loss, sure thing.

I'm absolutely in support of people doing what makes them feel best. Ultimately, aiming for people to make choices based on how they are going to behave forever and not just for a short stint for the sake of a scale weight goal.

A lot of people think low carb is some magical weight loss bullet and forsake all the foods they love just to try and she'd weight, heck a lot of times it's vanity pounds, when it's completely unnecessary unless the person suffers from a medical condition.

That said, if what you are doing makes you happy, you are fueling your body properly and getting your bodies required nutrients then go for it! By all means.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options
    Absolutely not!!! Your body needs carbs. . You should be more concerned about the types of carbs you are eating and the time of day that you are consuming them. . . :bigsmile:

I am about to certify as a physical trainer and yes if you eat complex carbs for dinner unless you are doing a late workout they just sit in your system while you are watching tv and sleeping. . .

now fruit and veggies in the evening are okay. but breads rices, and pastas should be eaten earlier in the day.
    Lol. I eat carbs at night and they don't "sit in my system". Stop spreading this crap information.

So I suppose that you are a certified trainer and know what you are talking about right. . . As I said, all I have to do is consult my ISSA text book or references like BOB HARPERS BOOK. . . but feel free to tell him he doesn't know what he is talking about. . . Everyone has an opinion and you are entitled to yours. . . As I said it is the type of carbs you consume in the evening. . . You don't have to stay away from them all together. . . If you had at all paid attn to what I said. . complex carbs. . . not fruit veggies, etc. . The body needs carbs to function. . DUH!

That's why these low carb or no carb diets are crap, but for say a diabetic they work well.:smile:

Peace my judgmental friend and GOD bless
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options

So what if they sit in my system? You're telling me my body shuts down completely at night and that the activity I do throughout the day or even the next day doesn't matter? Game over? Or?

Because...this entire pint of gelato I'm eating tonight RIGHT before bed is still gonna happen because 53 lbs lost and considerably amount of body fat lost later....I think I'm doing okay. You can keep your quackery.

If you need a second reference to this you might pick up a copy of BOB HARPERS BOOK " Skinny Meals" And Please feel free to tell him as a physical trainer that he doesn't know what he is talking about. . . I think his record speaks for itself!:smile:

Bob harper is a quack. I'd love to tell him so in person.

Here are people I trust-

http://alanaragon.com/home

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1105036-article-on-flexible-dieting-by-armi-legge?page=1#posts-17068746
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Lol. I eat carbs at night and they don't "sit in my system". Stop spreading this crap information.

So I suppose that you are a certified trainer and know what you are talking about right. . . As I said, all I have to do is consult my ISSA text book or references like BOB HARPERS BOOK. . . but feel free to tell him he doesn't know what he is talking about. . . Everyone has an opinion and you are entitled to yours. . . As I said it is the type of carbs you consume in the evening. . . You don't have to stay away from them all together. . . If you had at all paid attn to what I said. . complex carbs. . . not fruit veggies, etc. . The body needs carbs to function. . DUH!

That's why these low carb or no carb diets are crap, but for say a diabetic they work well.:smile:

LOL, most personal trainers don't even look like they train. Sorry I'll stick to science and the things that actually work. You should try them too.
    coleman_zps32edd109.jpg
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options

Who's judgmental? Everyone just wants to stop you from spreading crap info.

You didn't address how I've managed to improve my fitness, went from 35% BF to 17%, lost 53 lbs WHILE doing exactly what you said Bob Harper is saying not to do?

Am I magic?

Should you hook me up to science?

Am I ghost? !?!?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    No, not at all.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options

You didn't address how I've managed to improve my fitness, went from 35% BF to 17%, lost 53 lbs WHILE doing exactly what you said Bob Harper is saying not to do?

Am I magic?

Am I ghost? !?!?

LOL. . . Unkind people are just that. . . as well as a smart alic exactly why I usually stay out of the forums, because there are people like you that are terribly rude.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    She was asking about a tight tummy. Does this sort of thinking come from the fact that cutting carbs to almost nothing drops the water weight that hide muscle definition? Some even say that removing carbs can reduce "puffiness".
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options

Am I magic?

Am I ghost? !?!?

LOL. . . Unkind people are just that. . . as well as a smart alic exactly why I usually stay out of the forums, because there are people like you that are terribly rude.

You're not answering any questions...
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

Am I magic?

Am I ghost? !?!?

You stay out of the forums? with 3000 POSTS?
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options

Am I magic?

Am I ghost? !?!?

Frankly sir I have better things to do with my time! Oh like train people. . . I came here to help someone not get a load of crap from someone like you. Just because you have something that works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone. . That is why when working with clients they have a program customized to them. Depending on what they are trying to achieve as the end result. . . CATCH YOU LATER. .. oh. . not! Like I said a complete waste of my time.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options

Am I magic?

Am I ghost? !?!?

You stay out of the forums? with 3000 POSTS?

Those were from a long time ago, before they came up with the idea of having the group function. . . where people could come together on a specific subject and having the ability to moderate your own group. . . lol. . I am one of the reasons they formed groups. . . I had the first Christian Group on the site. . .
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

Am I magic?

Am I ghost? !?!?

Frankly sir I have better things to do with my time! Oh like train people. . . I came here to help someone not get a load of crap from someone like you. Just because you have something that works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone. . That is why when working with clients they have a program customized to them. Depending on what they are trying to achieve as the end result. . . CATCH YOU LATER. .. oh. . not! Like I said a complete waste of my time.

I bet you are anxiously awaiting the Aragon - Tuabes debate then right?
  • azp9017
    azp9017 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    No