DO I REALLY NEED TO GIVE UP CARBS

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Absolutely not!!! Your body needs carbs. . You should be more concerned about the types of carbs you are eating and the time of day that you are consuming them. . . :bigsmile:

Ignore the time of day thing. It does not matter when you eat your carbs.

I am about to certify as a physical trainer and yes if you eat complex carbs for dinner unless you are doing a late workout they just sit in your system while you are watching tv and sleeping. . .

now fruit and veggies in the evening are okay. but breads rices, and pastas should be eaten earlier in the day.
    Lol. I eat carbs at night and they don't "sit in my system". Stop spreading this crap information.

So I suppose that you are a certified trainer and know what you are talking about right. . . As I said, all I have to do is consult my ISSA text book or references like BOB HARPERS BOOK. . . but feel free to tell him he doesn't know what he is talking about. . . Everyone has an opinion and you are entitled to yours. . . As I said it is the type of carbs you consume in the evening. . . You don't have to stay away from them all together. . . If you had at all paid attn to what I said. . complex carbs. . . not fruit veggies, etc. . The body needs carbs to function. . DUH!

That's why these low carb or no carb diets are crap, but for say a diabetic they work well.:smile:

Peace my judgmental friend and GOD bless

Who's judgmental? Everyone just wants to stop you from spreading crap info.

You didn't address how I've managed to improve my fitness, went from 35% BF to 17%, lost 53 lbs WHILE doing exactly what you said Bob Harper is saying not to do?

Am I magic?

Should you hook me up to science?

Am I ghost? !?!?

LOL. . . Unkind people are just that. . . as well as a smart alic exactly why I usually stay out of the forums, because there are people like you that are terribly rude.

You're not answering any questions...

Frankly sir I have better things to do with my time! Oh like train people. . . I came here to help someone not get a load of crap from someone like you. Just because you have something that works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone. . That is why when working with clients they have a program customized to them. Depending on what they are trying to achieve as the end result. . . CATCH YOU LATER. .. oh. . not! Like I said a complete waste of my time.

For one, I'm a woman.

Second of all, calorie deficit works for everyone. Period. Macros help aid in body composition but your whole good carb vs bad carb thing is a load of broscience. Since you've been here since 2011, I figured you'd stuck around and noticed the plethora of athletes and bodybuilders on here who offer helpful advice to people on here about not falling for crap like this and over complicating things.

If you could find me some links to peer reviewed studies and science, I'd be more than happy to play your game. Sadly, all your doing is repeating Bob Harper.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    She was asking about a tight tummy. Does this sort of thinking come from the fact that cutting carbs to almost nothing drops the water weight that hide muscle definition? Some even say that removing carbs can reduce "puffiness".
  • BombshellPhoenix
    She was asking about a tight tummy. Does this sort of thinking come from the fact that cutting carbs to almost nothing drops the water weight that hide muscle definition? Some even say that removing carbs can reduce "puffiness".

Fat is the main factor that hides muscle. OP, according to her ticker, is only halfway through her weight loss and sadly, for most people it takes those very last pounds to start to see improvement in that area. That was true for me, it took up until my final 10 - 15 lbs to see a decently flat tummy. Another thing to help OP if it hasn't been linked. ...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1391018-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member

Fat is the main factor that hides muscle. OP, according to her ticker, is only halfway through her weight loss and sadly, for most people it takes those very last pounds to start to see improvement in that area. That was true for me, it took up until my final 10 - 15 lbs to see a decently flat tummy. Another thing to help OP if it hasn't been linked. ...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1391018-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
    Great link! :-)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Absolutely not!!! Your body needs carbs. . You should be more concerned about the types of carbs you are eating and the time of day that you are consuming them. . . :bigsmile:

I am about to certify as a physical trainer and yes if you eat complex carbs for dinner unless you are doing a late workout they just sit in your system while you are watching tv and sleeping. . .

now fruit and veggies in the evening are okay. but breads rices, and pastas should be eaten earlier in the day.
    Lol. I eat carbs at night and they don't "sit in my system". Stop spreading this crap information.

So I suppose that you are a certified trainer and know what you are talking about right. . . As I said, all I have to do is consult my ISSA text book or references like BOB HARPERS BOOK. . . but feel free to tell him he doesn't know what he is talking about. . . Everyone has an opinion and you are entitled to yours. . . As I said it is the type of carbs you consume in the evening. . . You don't have to stay away from them all together. . . If you had at all paid attn to what I said. . complex carbs. . . not fruit veggies, etc. . The body needs carbs to function. . DUH!

That's why these low carb or no carb diets are crap, but for say a diabetic they work well.:smile:

Any food you eat is going to sit in your system for a period of time. It takes 6-8 hours for food to pass through the stomach and small intestine, and food remains in the large intestine for an average of 40 hours. Food is not automatically digested and nutrients are not automatically absorbed for immediate use. This is not an opinion, this is human biology. Eating carbs late at night, or any time of day, is not going to hinder the weight loss of someone in a calorie deficit absent a medical issue.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,871 Member

Any food you eat is going to sit in your system for a period of time. It takes 6-8 hours for food to pass through the stomach and small intestine, and food remains in the large intestine for an average of 40 hours. Food is not automatically digested and nutrients are not automatically absorbed for immediate use. This is not an opinion, this is human biology. Eating carbs late at night, or any time of day, is not going to hinder the weight loss of someone in a calorie deficit absent a medical issue.
    Don't talk nonsense we all know that eating carbs at night will make us fat....just ask Bob.
  • FeefWV
    FeefWV Posts: 36 Member
    Depends on what kind of carbs you're eating. I'm sure you're eating all the right things - fruits and vegies?????? Better to cut down on sugary stuff. Carbs give you energy. NO. NO NO. Do not cut out carbs - that's a myth. If you're not gaining, you've probably just hit a plateau. Exercise more - tone up. Build muscle. You burn more calories that way.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,871 Member

So what if they sit in my system? You're telling me my body shuts down completely at night and that the activity I do throughout the day or even the next day doesn't matter? Game over? Or?

Because...this entire pint of gelato I'm eating tonight RIGHT before bed is still gonna happen because 53 lbs lost and considerably amount of body fat lost later....I think I'm doing okay. You can keep your quackery.

If you need a second reference to this you might pick up a copy of BOB HARPERS BOOK " Skinny Meals" And Please feel free to tell him as a physical trainer that he doesn't know what he is talking about. . . I think his record speaks for itself!:smile:
    You might want to enrol in another internet nutrition course.........you don't seem to know what a complex carb is.....you should at least get the nutrition 101 right before you make a complete..........
  • BombshellPhoenix
    This one's for you, Bob...

16huw5f.jpg

The time is 10:32pm.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member

Who's judgmental? Everyone just wants to stop you from spreading crap info.

You didn't address how I've managed to improve my fitness, went from 35% BF to 17%, lost 53 lbs WHILE doing exactly what you said Bob Harper is saying not to do?

Am I magic?

Should you hook me up to science?

Am I ghost? !?!?

LOL. . . Unkind people are just that. . . as well as a smart alic exactly why I usually stay out of the forums, because there are people like you that are terribly rude.

You stay out of the forums? with 3000 POSTS?

Those were from a long time ago, before they came up with the idea of having the group function. . . where people could come together on a specific subject and having the ability to moderate your own group. . . lol. . I am one of the reasons they formed groups. . . I had the first Christian Group on the site. . .

Well you're not really doing a great job representing either Christians, or professionals in the health and fitness industry here.

Well everyone has a right to their OPINION. . .including you, but coming from a Christian standpoint I would have to and say:

Don't judge others lest you be judged accordingly.

I was not here to be attacked by others, but simply to offer my thoughts to the gal that started this thread. We all gave opinions and what she chooses to follow is ultimately up to her, so your unkind words don't offend me. . . You have a right to yours and I have a right to mine. . . God bless.
  • georgiagreeneyes
    georgiagreeneyes Posts: 69 Member
    I was thinking that , and i said but as soon as i eat them again it will all return.. And the person just kept arguinh sayinh il
    never be slim unless i cut out carbs

I think the only time cutting carbs super low is helpful is in the instance of trimming and eliminating bloating before a competition or big event. Carbohydrates hold on to more water so cutting them will give one a natural diuretic effect.

I agree with what a few others have posted that the type of carbohydrate can make a difference... there are "cleaner carbs" that are likely to more filling and not cause sharp insulin spikes. Keep up the great work missy!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    I was thinking that , and i said but as soon as i eat them again it will all return.. And the person just kept arguinh sayinh il

I think the only time cutting carbs super low is helpful is in the instance of trimming and eliminating bloating before a competition or big event. Carbohydrates hold on to more water so cutting them will give one a natural diuretic effect.

I agree with what a few others have posted that the type of carbohydrate can make a difference... there are "cleaner carbs" that are likely to more filling and not cause sharp insulin spikes. Keep up the great work missy!

Thank you for that. . . love your thoughts. . .In my experience I did lose weight when I adjusted the type of carbs that I was consuming. . .

But as I said earlier every body is different in how it reacts. It largely depends on your activity level too. . . and what kind of training you are doing. . .Some people need the extra carbs depending on how intense their workouts are. .

I know there were those saying it is just calories in calories out. . .and that is all fine and dandy, but it does depend on if you are working out or not in your fitness journey. . . There are people here that are not yet working out. . .
  • No
  • gemmamummy
    gemmamummy Posts: 185 Member
    I'm no expert, cutting carbs.....No not for me. I have porridge, bread and rice every day, oatcakes, biscuits and pasta too.Today I will be having pizza. It will all fit into my macros and as Long as I hit my protein goal and keep below my fat goal, its all good. Oh and I'll be having the Pizza probs around midnight too.......so that means the nighttime carb fairy will come and smack 10lbs on me by morning (puts head in hands)
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    NO! UGH!! When will that notion DIE?

Only processed white carbs like apples and potatoes.

And this^^^ is the biggest load of horse manure EVER! Apples especially are extremely good for you. And it's a complex carb. Which by anybody's theory… is a good carb.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Do i really need to give up carbs for a tight tummy?!? I was told this, but im not sure?

you cant give up carbs... your body needs vegetables and fruits
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I have a flat stomach with nicely defined obliques and I'm over 40 and eat plenty of carbs, including pasta, rice and potatoes. I don't think you have to worry too much about carbs unless you are going over your calories or you are insulin resistant/diabetic. :flowerforyou:
  • Lottiotta
    Lottiotta Posts: 162 Member
    (in the tune of that iritating doorbell)
    no no no noooooo no no no no.

lol, that really is the worst doorbell ever

Guys, that's most notably Big Ben, of London fame. :D It's a standard on-the-hour chime. I think. Unless you're talking about something else and I am mistaken.

God, I feel so British right now.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,977 Member

I know there were those saying it is just calories in calories out. . .and that is all fine and dandy, but it does depend on if you are working out or not in your fitness journey. . . There are people here that are not yet working out. . .

No it doesn't. Calories in calories out is fine and dandy whether or not you are working out.
    Of course, working out burns calories so therefore you can take more in and still be in a deficit. But if you don't work out, CICO does not become an invalid theory.

The time of day that you eat any carbs, or any other thing, does not matter ; you will lose weight just the same whether you eat bread and pasta for breakfast and carrots for supper or vice versa.