DO I REALLY NEED TO GIVE UP CARBS

Replies

• Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Absolutely not!!! Your body needs carbs. . You should be more concerned about the types of carbs you are eating and the time of day that you are consuming them. . . :bigsmile:

Ignore the time of day thing. It does not matter when you eat your carbs.

I am about to certify as a physical trainer and yes if you eat complex carbs for dinner unless you are doing a late workout they just sit in your system while you are watching tv and sleeping. . .

now fruit and veggies in the evening are okay. but breads rices, and pastas should be eaten earlier in the day.

Wow, she's about to finish her 8-hour course on bro-science,look guys, she's not gonna lie!

Yet another opinionated ill informed excuse for a human being.

.ISSA AKA .Internatiional Sports Sciences Association provides a 2 year course and they have many other classes available to further my education. . .

You might want to look them up online then at least you would know what you are talking about.:bigsmile:
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    You do not have to give up carbs or any other food you like. You do not have to eat salads, tons of chicken, or any other foods. Start by eating what you normally eat - just less of it. Weigh and measure your foods. Aim for a diet you enjoy and can maintain for the rest of your life. Along the way, you may want to start making healthier choices, incorporating more fruits, veggies, whole grains, plant proteins. Don't try to do it all at once. Baby steps work best.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Here is the deal. By the time we get to the point where our next goal is a tight, flat tummy, we have been at this weight loss and fitness thing for a while. Many of us find that over the period of a few years it took us to get there, that we have made many life style changes and one of them is a more nutrient dense diet instead of just fitting any foods we want to eat into our macros. By the time we get there we no longer have the desire to eat processed and refined carbs on a regular basis.

It was my experience, when I was down to those last 5 pounds of fat,I had cut most processed carbs already and was only eating low glycemic carbohydrates such as quinoa and sweet potato. Not only did I lose the weight, I also had a great deal of energy for exercise and just life in general .

I believe it is a process that takes a while. I think when we start putting restrictions on our diet, we are setting ourselves up to fail. Give yourself some time and enjoy the ride. If we do it right, not only will we get there, chances are we will stay there.
  • Well, apples and potatoes aren't processed, per se. It wouldn't hurt to give up refined carbs like white flour and sugar, as they are pretty empty of nutrients. People really get confused about carbs -- vegetables and fruits are carbs, but they are nutritious and necessary for health. Grains are carbs, higher in calories than vegetables and fruits. So eat lots of veggies and fruits, some whole grains, and give up the refined stuff like flour, sugar, jams and jellies, cookies, cakes -- all the stuff you already know aren't the best foods to eat on a regular basis.

Now, if I could only follow my own advice . . .
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Absolutely not!!! Your body needs carbs. . You should be more concerned about the types of carbs you are eating and the time of day that you are consuming them. . . :bigsmile:

I am about to certify as a physical trainer and yes if you eat complex carbs for dinner unless you are doing a late workout they just sit in your system while you are watching tv and sleeping. . .

now fruit and veggies in the evening are okay. but breads rices, and pastas should be eaten earlier in the day.

Wow, she's about to finish her 8-hour course on bro-science,look guys, she's not gonna lie!

.ISSA AKA .Internatiional Sports Sciences Association provides a 2 year course and they have many other classes available to further my education. . .

You might want to look them up online then at least you would know what you are talking about.:bigsmile:
    ISSA is pretty laughable no a day's. Many of the larger fitness centers don't even accept it anymore due to the diminished level of information. Not to mention the fact that the final exam is an open book test. The training certification is for training. Not nutrition. So to say that you're being educated on nutrition is false.

Not that I need to defend myself, but I am a nutrition major in college. . . You know like a university. . . lol and yes there are nutrition courses available through ISSA as well. . .
  • Absolutely not!!! Your body needs carbs. . You should be more concerned about the types of carbs you are eating and the time of day that you are consuming them. . . :bigsmile:

ISSA is pretty laughable no a day's. Many of the larger fitness centers don't even accept it anymore due to the diminished level of information. Not to mention the fact that the final exam is an open book test. The training certification is for training. Not nutrition. So to say that you're being educated on nutrition is false.

Not that I need to defend myself, but I am a nutrition major in college. . . You know like a university. . . lol and yes there are nutrition courses available through ISSA as well. . .
    I feel bad for your "clients".
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member

Are you passing your classes? Your knowledge of nutrition makes me suspect otherwise.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Digestion does not stop while you sleep.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    nope
  • Jade_Butterfly
    <snip>
    You stay out of the forums? with 3000 POSTS?

Those were from a long time ago, before they came up with the idea of having the group function. . . where people could come together on a specific subject and having the ability to moderate your own group. . . lol. . I am one of the reasons they formed groups. . . I had the first Christian Group on the site. . .
    Well you're not really doing a great job representing either Christians, or professionals in the health and fitness industry here.
    Well everyone has a right to their OPINION. . .including you, but coming from a Christian standpoint I would have to and say:

Don't judge others lest you be judged accordingly.

I was not here to be attacked by others, but simply to offer my thoughts to the gal that started this thread. We all gave opinions and what she chooses to follow is ultimately up to her, so your unkind words don't offend me. . . You have a right to yours and I have a right to mine. . . God bless.

-I'm not not being judgemental. I'm calling you in your nonsense.

-you presented your initial advice as fact, backed up by your (pending) credentials in the fitness industry.

-when others challenged your opinions (presented as fact), you appealed to authority (Bob Harper LOL), and resorted to anger and personal attacks. If your factpinions were that sound you wouldn't have to resort to such tactics.

-I AM a Christian...your style of "arguing" is unfortunately so typical and gives the rest of us a bad name wherever we go.

Edit: quote fails, and oh, I see now that you're calling people "ill informed excuses for human beings". That is actually disgusting of you.

I was not the one ATTACKING people they were attacking me, for simply giving the creator of this thread my opinion, based on what I have came across. . . But I remember why I stay out of forums. . . There are too many people that show up in these that are judgmental, and cruel, oh and KNOW EVERYTHING. . .

I am a Christian gal, and do love the Lord. . . and yes I do make mistakes. . I am human. . .we were made as imperfect beings. . so if I have offended anyone. . Please forgive me, but I am not going to sit here defending myself. God knows my heart. . Come in here to help someone and get BULLIED! So I am out and BTW. . I never claimed to know everything. . . I did go and check out some of the links people dropped as I like and appreciate that others have great things to bring to the table too. . .

In having a nice discussion with others I like to learn things that I haven't came across. . . I like some of the sites I found due to this discussion. . . but I will not sit and be openly attacked. . .

And Bob Harper is not necessarily my go to. . . I like to read and love to compare and contrast people across the board. . . what is working what is not and for whom it works. . . to be closed minded is to live in ignorance. . . Every body is different, and genetics and different health issues play out in all of this. . . As far as setting up a program for someone. . You want to do the best that you can for them. . What works for one, may not work for another depending on what is involved. . .

So I always appreciate hearing others views especially when they are informed answers from credible sources. . . Thank you and I'm out. . . I was never angry. . . I just don't like it that you try to have a discussion on here and it turns into an attack. . That is why groups were formed in the beginning, because there was so much of this on here. . . You had people having a nice discussion and the select few that come to argue, and make people feel bad. . .
  • missyahall2
    missyahall2 Posts: 99 Member
    NOPE
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    <snip>
    You stay out of the forums? with 3000 POSTS?

Those were from a long time ago, before they came up with the idea of having the group function. . . where people could come together on a specific subject and having the ability to moderate your own group. . . lol. . I am one of the reasons they formed groups. . . I had the first Christian Group on the site. . .
    Well you're not really doing a great job representing either Christians, or professionals in the health and fitness industry here.
    Well everyone has a right to their OPINION. . .including you, but coming from a Christian standpoint I would have to and say:

Don't judge others lest you be judged accordingly.

I was not here to be attacked by others, but simply to offer my thoughts to the gal that started this thread. We all gave opinions and what she chooses to follow is ultimately up to her, so your unkind words don't offend me. . . You have a right to yours and I have a right to mine. . . God bless.

-I'm not not being judgemental. I'm calling you in your nonsense.

-you presented your initial advice as fact, backed up by your (pending) credentials in the fitness industry.

-when others challenged your opinions (presented as fact), you appealed to authority (Bob Harper LOL), and resorted to anger and personal attacks. If your factpinions were that sound you wouldn't have to resort to such tactics.

-I AM a Christian...your style of "arguing" is unfortunately so typical and gives the rest of us a bad name wherever we go.

Edit: quote fails, and oh, I see now that you're calling people "ill informed excuses for human beings". That is actually disgusting of you.

I was not the one ATTACKING people they were attacking me, for simply giving the creator of this thread my opinion, based on what I have came across. . . But I remember why I stay out of forums. . . There are too many people that show up in these that are judgmental, and cruel, oh and KNOW EVERYTHING. . .

I am a Christian gal, and do love the Lord. . . and yes I do make mistakes. . I am human. . .we were made as imperfect beings. . so if I have offended anyone. . Please forgive me, but I am not going to sit here defending myself. God knows my heart. . Come in here to help someone and get BULLIED! So I am out and BTW. . I never claimed to know everything. . . I did go and check out some of the links people dropped as I like and appreciate that others have great things to bring to the table too. . .

In having a nice discussion with others I like to learn things that I haven't came across. . . I like some of the sites I found due to this discussion. . . but I will not sit and be openly attacked. . .

And Bob Harper is not necessarily my go to. . . I like to read and love to compare and contrast people across the board. . . what is working what is not and for whom it works. . . to be closed minded is to live in ignorance. . . Every body is different, and genetics and different health issues play out in all of this. . . As far as setting up a program for someone. . You want to do the best that you can for them. . What works for one, may not work for another depending on what is involved. . .

So I always appreciate hearing others views especially when they are informed answers from credible sources. . . Thank you and I'm out. . . I was never angry. . . I just don't like it that you try to have a discussion on here and it turns into an attack. . That is why groups were formed in the beginning, because there was so much of this on here. . . You had people having a nice discussion and the select few that come to argue, and make people feel bad. . .

I think your period key is stuck.......
  • orangesmarties
    orangesmarties Posts: 49 Member
    Absolutely not! However, it really is worth cutting back on simple carbs and sugar, and replacing them with "good carbs" like brown rice, potato, wholegrain bread, and vegetables. As a vegan long-distance runner, part of the problem (low energy, low mood) was not enough of these, as they contain so many important nutrients, like iron, B6, B12, folic acid, etc.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    So I always appreciate hearing others views especially when they are informed answers from credible sources
    Unless they contradict you.

My trainer has a degree in nutrition too, and he is an awesome and motivating lifting coach. But even though we discuss food, he would never presume to give me nutritional advice, because he is not a registered dietitian. Use the right tool for the job.
    I am a Christian gal, and do love the Lord. . .
    I am not going to sit here defending myself.
    but I will not sit and be openly attacked. . .
    Every body is different, and genetics and different health issues play out in all of this. . . As far as setting up a program for someone. . You want to do the best that you can for them. . What works for one, may not work for another depending on what is involved. . .

Actually, you came in representing yourself as so authoritative, and then when people started refuting you with, you know, science, that's when you trotted out the nonsense about being a Christian (as though that has any bearing on this discussion) and how people should not judge others and how we can all have our own opinions. If people had just let your stuff stand as though it were authoritative, you would have been quite content to sit back and not drag all the God-squad, nutrition degree, about-to-be-certified-personal-trainer non-credentials, and finally, touchy-feely "everybody's different and we can all have our own opinions" stuff. You repeatedly returned to "defend yourself" with your appeal to improper authority.
    So I am out
    byeanisc0_zpsfbb5c2dd.gif
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    carbs are death,..... to people like me...type 2 diabetic....i eat maybe 10 to 15 grams of carbs a day....but then again...im 61 and an old fart and not really concerned about a flat tummy....

PALEO eating has worked wonders for me though....PALEO in itself is not a low low carb diet but it can be....

i have been on this plan for 3 months now and have cured about all that is wrong with me....

just sayin....
    I think the flexible dieting article (http://evidencemag.com/flexible-dieting-basics/) pretty much sums the whole issue up quite well.
    It’s fine to place restrictions on yourself to make it easier to reach your goals. If you enjoy higher fat foods and it’s easier for you to control your calorie intake by eating a low-carb diet, then do it. If eating “paleo” — avoiding grains, legumes, dairy (and other stuff, depending on who you ask) helps you eat less, then go for it. Just remember why you’re eating that way. Your diet isn’t magical; it’s just easier for you to follow.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    So I always appreciate hearing others views especially when they are informed answers from credible sources
    Unless they contradict you.

My trainer has a degree in nutrition too, and he is an awesome and motivating lifting coach. But even though we discuss food, he would never presume to give me nutritional advice, because he is not a registered dietitian. Use the right tool for the job.

What's to say you can't be a certified physical trainer and a registered dietitian? Just curious?