how does everyone kick the cravings for sweets?

Options

Replies

• whippetwomen
    whippetwomen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Boiled sweets- It's an english thing. Basically any individual sweet made from boiled sugar with flavouring added. E. G. Barley sugar, bulls eyes, mints, sherbuts. Pure sugar, so probably best avoided, but if you can stop at 1 or 2, good for a sugar fix as very hard and take a long time to dissolve if sucked slowly. Probably rot your teeth tho:)
  • whippetwomen
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. What is a boiled sweet?
  • whippetwomen
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. What is a boiled sweet?
    sorry, replied on wrong page. See page 5:)
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I also couldn't do entirely without chocolate - other sweets I can take or leave now that I have more control over food (and it no longer controls me). I like sugar free chocolate pudding - cheap & satisfying. I also get my protein powder in chocolate flavour, so if I am craving chocolate, I hit the gym hard just so I can eat the calories back with a delicious smoothie afterwards - chocolate, frozen banana & milk is all I need. Hope this helps!
  • slshealth
    Options
    What I recommend, even though I "love" sweets too is that you switch over to a healthier alternative, such as dark chocolate and eat that, it's bitter at first, but then you'll enjoy the more natural taste of cacao. It's something that can be enjoyed with tea, wine, w/e you have. And also eat your favorite fruits!!! :) Pineapples, mangos, apples, bananas (very sweet but better for you) and also eat some more nuts like pistachio and just get fuller longer. You may have accidentally adapted your body to love the taste of processed foods. So that's my 2 cents. Don't cut sweets out, just switch them for natural alternatives which have fiber content, and nutrients.
  • urgley
    urgley Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Options hot chocolate, 40kcal and creamy and delicious works for me!
  • RadicalGrace22
    RadicalGrace22 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    One Ghirardelli 72% Intense Cocoa square broken into small pieces each and every night after dinner. I pop a small piece into my mouth and take a small sip of coffee and let it melt. It takes me about 30 minutes to finish my 'dessert' and helped me kick my all-day-long chocolate cravings.

Brilliant!! I am going to do this and see if it "cures" my hunt every evening for something sweet!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    my issue is i NEED chocolate lol

Chocolate craving is usually associated with magnesium deficiency (about 80% of adults are deficient). Athletes and anyone who sweats a great deal are usually even worse off. Oddly enough, significantly cutting back on grain may help with the deficiency. Grain has phytic acid which blocks the uptake of minerals (especially the "macro-minerals" of which magnesium is one). Try loading up on the vegetables that are richest in magnesium (any of the root vegetables) and see what happens. :smile:
  • sukid88
    sukid88 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't fight it...about once or twice a week I eat a hershey's bar and it tastes delicious. When I go to parties I'll eat the cake or cookies. As long as you don't go overboard you'll be fine. I still allow myself to eat sweets, I want to lose weight but I also want to enjoy life you know. I just make sure I don't have sweets at home and when I go grocery shopping I'll buy just one candy bar as a treat...works for me.
    btw I've lost about 40 pounds so far to get down to 132 (from 172) :) Took about a year.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    By eating them.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Uhm.... I eat some every day? Problem solved
  • christinazaia
    christinazaia Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    yup...just eat whatever I want.. :-) moderation
  • cherrilovee
    cherrilovee Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was never able to kick the cravings. It's just you have to eat in moderation. But if you can't eat a few chips without finishing the whole bag, there's a problem. Being able to watch what you eat totally helps.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you, OP.

I've found that once I start eating chocolate or sweets, I literally cannot stop and I crave them all the time. I've decided to just stop eating them all together until I can control myself a little more. Maybe you should do the same? Or find some healthy substitutes... oven baked strawberries taste like candy! Or maybe melt some dark chocolate over strawberries, kiwi, or half a banana.

This is what I did, but only for a short time until I went through "sugar detox" that some of us need. I stopped eating sweets like chocolate for a little over a month. By then, my craving for them was almost completely gone as my tastes had changed and all the "bad" things I was eating had pretty much worked their way out of my system. Now I find smaller snacks like that satisfy me. Sometimes I will just ave one or two squares of dark chocolate, and that's all I need. Sometimes I even take a few dark chocolate chips and eat them with a spoon of natural peanut butter. It's only a couple bites, but it's enough. I know people say don't deny yourself anything, and I agree. But I think sometimes some of us need to go through a period where we don't have them just to readjust our systems. Just my opinion and experience.
  • sweetigirl
    Options
    craving sweets means too much yeast in the gut. with all my research you need to take probiotics. you need to put more good bacteria in the gut to minimize cravings. eventually your cravings will diminish. it is working for me. in turn, I eat a tablespoon of peanutbutter for my treat. also, I drink decaf tea with just a tsp. of honey. beware that it will lull you too sleep!!
  • salbunnylettuceleafyexley
    Options
    for some reason my sweet tooth seems to have mostly gone, i used to eat whole packs of biscuits or huge choc bars and never put any weight on, but for some reason i'm not that bothered anymore, if i fancy something sweet usually porridge or cereals helps, its healthier and it usually satifies graving. i mean an small bowl of sugary cereal is surely better than a bar of chocolate, most cereals i've seen are about 360cals person 100g, but 100g of chocolate is about 500
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    Options
    I don't really crave them that often anymore, and if I do I can usually make it fit in the day
  • blackcrossknight
    blackcrossknight Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate still, all the time, but you can try some Vanilla yogurt with a spoonful of unsweetened 100% cocoa powder mixed in. Tastes like chocolate pudding to me, plus the yogurt and cocoa themselves are both good for you.
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate still, all the time, but you can try some Vanilla yogurt with a spoonful of unsweetened 100% cocoa powder mixed in. Tastes like chocolate pudding to me, plus the yogurt and cocoa themselves are both good for you.

This is a good idea...never thought of doing that.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. I stick to a good dark chocolate, around 81% cocoa, and supplement with fruit, oatmeal and Greek yoghurt with pb2, flax, stevia and berries/banana mixed in. I tried and failed many times to be able to keep things like cookies, chocolate, cake, ice cream, bread around and moderate my intake (due to being prone to self comfort with food due to a chemical imbalance, aka depression) so I just try to stick to only having them during a meal out or at christmas etc, and in amounts that will not trigger the endless craving for more. I also found that hard boiled eggs seem to help diminish cravings for sweet things.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!