how does everyone kick the cravings for sweets?

Options
123457»

Replies

• pizzaveri
    pizzaveri Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    every time i tried to give up chocolate/sweets for good i'd last a couple days and end up gorging on way too much candy on the 4th day. i read somewhere that when you crave candy what your body really needs is nuts, so i eat a couple (like 3-4) almonds in the morning. i also read this article that chocolate in the morning can help stave off cravings during the day. so i allow myself a drizzle of chocolate sauce on my cereal in the morning. granted i've only tried this a week, but it's longer than i've gone without something sweet during the day. i don't feel the urge so much anymore and when it kicks in late in the day is if i've been lazier than usual so i have a fruity tea or at worst a cereal bar.
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I am a serious chocoholic and if i have even one piece its like i cant stop! i mostly get my chocolate cravings at night before bed. what do y'all do to kick the cravings?
    I too am a chocoholic. I researched the chocolate trade, and learned that there's so much human trafficking slave labor involved that I now only eat fair trade ethically sourced chocolate. It's more expensive, tastes better and I'm not ingesting the tears of children working in the fields into my body. (my take on it, not literally but who knows)
    I put it in my freezer the bar, and break off a piece when I want some. It's hard as heck to break and will only break in small pieces. It also takes awhile to melt in my mouth so that helps too. Since I've been doing this I don't crave it as much.

Ice cream tho whole other story, can't have it in the house.
  • librarydebster
    librarydebster Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Once in awhile i have a couple dates. They have natural sugar and also fibre and other nutrients, so at least it isn't processed sugar.

But if i want chocolate, and low cal hot chocolate doesn't cut it, I actually have a piece of dark chocolate or a chocolate chip cookie as a last resort. We're not angels.
  • librarydebster
    librarydebster Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Where the heck do you get fair trade ethically sourced chocolate? (I'm in Ontario)
  • jusca
    jusca Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    fruits, hawaiian punch singles, peppermints
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I will have a bagel or 1/2 bagel toasted and put a serving of chocolate chips on it. I like semi-sweet, but that's my preference. They melt on the bagel and are sooo good.

If I want overly sweet I actually get the Weight Watchers Chocolate Cremes. They are like 90 calories and maybe 3 bites. Keep them in the freezer and just grab one when you have a craving.

If I have lots of calories left over for the day I'm really bad about getting a mini (sometimes small) Dairy Queen Georgia Mud Fudge Blizzard. But, hey, if it is within your calories.

The better I eat the less I crave chocolate. But I will never deprive myself of chocolate. I love it too much.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I have dark chocolate and make room for it in my calories. Most evenings I have a chocolate. Right now I'm doing Lindt extra dark chocolate truffles. Heavenly! Stopping after one or two is called 'self-control'... and it's part of being a grown up. You really are capable of telling yourself 'no'.

The good news is that the less processed sugar I eat, the less I crave it. Now fresh fruit smoothies really satisfy my sweet-tooth like they never did before.
  • ttcbelieve
    ttcbelieve Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm terrible, but this is what I do

I binge on sweets :smile: then I take a break from the sweet, then I binge again
  • NH_1970
    Options
    Where the heck do you get fair trade ethically sourced chocolate? (I'm in Ontario)
    They have it at Hannafords here. It helps to learn the symbols for them. Here's a link if it helps any http://www.fairtrade.net/faqs.html
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Just discovered Chia Seed Pudding! So easy...so YUM! So diet friendly. I made mine with unsweetened vanilla coconut milk and topped with a teaspoon of no sugar added fruit preserves, cherry tonight. OMG! I am a totally pudding girl, my favorite is tapioca and this stuff rocks! Next time I make it I am going to try it with a small bit of cocoa powder. :bigsmile: (because chocolate is my next favorite pudding.)
  • NH_1970
    Options
    Also, organic chocolate is almost exclusively grown in Central and South America, where slavery isn’t an issue.

Here's a link about it, just searching/googling for ethically sourced chocolate brings up results too in case any symbols change in the future and you want a refresher. http://theartofsimple.net/chocolate/
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I started switching to darker chocolates for the health benefits. Now I can't even imagine eating something that was "milk" chocolate unless I made it myself. Things like candy bars just make my teeth hurt anymore. When i want something sweet I want Endangered Species chocolate or homemade chocolate ice cream.

Other homemade goodies like Almond Butter Cups are also yummy, but you have to put the time into making them. Do you REALLY want that sweet? Are you willing to get up and make it yourself? If not, you don't need it. :3
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Fruits -- natures candy.
  • moijo6
    moijo6 Posts: 121
    Options
    fruit and liquorice tea ;)
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    sees sugar free chocolate bars - milk and dark. i eat one half square whenever i need a chocolate fix. absolutely delish, diabetic friendly :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!