whats with the forum hate?

Options

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Review the community guidelines - there's a link to them in the page footer. A lot of those awful comments are definitely against the guidelines. Whenever someone is pissing me off and they're violating those guidelines, I report the comment. And then, if they piss me off more than once, I also click the little arrow underneath their profile picture in the thread, and choose to ignore the user.

There are just some people who come onto every thread with criticism, or inappropriate sexual comments, or a terrible attitude, and clicking that ignore button is magic - you don't have to deal with them anymore. :)
    You've been here a month and report a lot already? May I suggest more ignoring, less reporting?
    If people saying mean things are breaking the rules we all agreed to, I see no reason not to report. That's the purpose of the button. Why does this bother you?

this explains. SO much.

:angry:

Yup...the only threads/posts I report after 1 year + of being here are those awful selling something posts...the rest eh...I put my big girl panties on (no not granny ones either) and move on with my day...
    Same. I only use the "tattletale" button for spammers.
    Shrug - I don't feel an obligation to let people be awful to one another because I'm afraid someone might call me "butthurt". Sounds kind of middle school, if you ask me. If you don't feel like using the report button, fine; but I really have no sympathy for people who get reported for doing mean things that are against the rules. That's the purpose of the Community Guidelines and the purpose of the report button. We all agreed to the rules when we signed up, so when people break them...

So you get your feelings hurt because someone might not agree with you or might be too blunt for you and you think it's reason to report someone. Sadly it's people like you and this thinking that has gotten a lot of very knowledgeable people banned.
    Where did I say that I randomly report people I disagree with? Nope - only people who are breaking the rules of the community.

Do you know the guidelines, or what happens when someone is reported? Reporting doesn't automatically cause anything to happen. It alerts the moderators, who decide what the appropriate action is. There's a warning system. It's not like I'm condemning someone to permanent banning by hitting that button. I'm just alerting the moderators that things are getting out of hand, and letting them handle it. If they disagree with my assessment, then there are no consequences.

If the knowledgeable people who got banned were repeatedly breaking the guidelines and ignoring warnings, which is what it takes to actually get banned, then it sounds appropriate to me.

Actually not always. People get banned because someone reported them just because they didn't like how something was delivered. They didn't take the time to try to understand what was actually said, just went off of their emotional reaction. The action that is taken by the mods depends on what mod is responding. That has a HUGE effect on what happens.

(this is not me airing grievances with mods. I'm just sayin')
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Review the community guidelines - there's a link to them in the page footer. A lot of those awful comments are definitely against the guidelines. Whenever someone is pissing me off and they're violating those guidelines, I report the comment. And then, if they piss me off more than once, I also click the little arrow underneath their profile picture in the thread, and choose to ignore the user.

There are just some people who come onto every thread with criticism, or inappropriate sexual comments, or a terrible attitude, and clicking that ignore button is magic - you don't have to deal with them anymore. :)
    You've been here a month and report a lot already? May I suggest more ignoring, less reporting?
    If people saying mean things are breaking the rules we all agreed to, I see no reason not to report. That's the purpose of the button. Why does this bother you?

this explains. SO much.

Yup...the only threads/posts I report after 1 year + of being here are those awful selling something posts...the rest eh...I put my big girl panties on (no not granny ones either) and move on with my day...
    Shrug - I don't feel an obligation to let people be awful to one another because I'm afraid someone might call me "butthurt". Sounds kind of middle school, if you ask me. If you don't feel like using the report button, fine; but I really have no sympathy for people who get reported for doing mean things that are against the rules. That's the purpose of the Community Guidelines and the purpose of the report button. We all agreed to the rules when we signed up, so when people break them...

So you get your feelings hurt because someone might not agree with you or might be too blunt for you and you think it's reason to report someone. Sadly it's people like you and this thinking that has gotten a lot of very knowledgeable people banned.
    Where did I say that I randomly report people I disagree with? Nope - only people who are breaking the rules of the community.

Do you know the guidelines, or what happens when someone is reported? Reporting doesn't automatically cause anything to happen. It alerts the moderators, who decide what the appropriate action is. There's a warning system. It's not like I'm condemning someone to permanent banning by hitting that button. I'm just alerting the moderators that things are getting out of hand, and letting them handle it. If they disagree with my assessment, then there are no consequences.

If the knowledgeable people who got banned were repeatedly breaking the guidelines and ignoring warnings, which is what it takes to actually get banned, then it sounds appropriate to me.

You sound like you're lots of fun. I like you. Want to come over and play? :flowerforyou:

(grenade has been successfully jumped on)
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    In for a mean people thread!!
    puas.gif
  • lizzybathory
    Options

Oh so THAT'S why all the advice threads make my head spin lately? I'm back at work so I can't post much right now, but I've definitely noticed a complete lack of anything approaching solid guidance in A LOT of threads lately. It's been mostly blind leading the blind from what I can tell. Yikes.
    Hm, is it exclusively the knowledgeable people who don't know how to deliver solid advice without offending people? It sounds like a pretty poor business model for MFP to just get rid of people for doing no worse than sharing solid advice. It's a wonder anyone manages to succeed in their weight loss and fitness goals here, what with all the smart people getting banned for no reason. /sarcasm

I hope they can find a new place to dole out golden nuggets of advice where they're not expected to oh, not be abusive, offensive jerks while they do it? Maybe you can go find them and their terrific advice in that fitness-advice mecca.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    th?&id=HN.608027619752414887&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

this explains. SO much.

shrug - I don't feel an obligation to jump in as the middle school hall monitor and push the report button just because it's my opinion that other people are being mean to each other. No one asked you to do that, and I really don't think it's up to you to judge whether two other people are being mean enough to warrant being reported, which can get one or both of them banned from the forums. I've had some pretty knowledgeable good friends get banned for nothing more than trying to get a new member to understand that what they were saying was wrong and the new person had hurt feelings.

This is why a lot of people with a lot of knowledgeable advice resort to gifs and jokes or just hang out on the newsfeed chatting with their friends. Although, there are a lot of people who've been here a long time and still don't know their *kitten* from a whole in the ground. Newer posters would be wise to read a bit and figure out which is which.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

this explains. SO much.

I have a feeling you were super popular in middle school.

tattle-tale-281x300.jpg
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

Oh so THAT'S why all the advice threads make my head spin lately? I'm back at work so I can't post much right now, but I've definitely noticed a complete lack of anything approaching solid guidance in A LOT of threads lately. It's been mostly blind leading the blind from what I can tell. Yikes.
    Hm, is it exclusively the knowledgeable people who don't know how to deliver solid advice without offending people? It sounds like a pretty poor business model for MFP to just get rid of people for doing no worse than sharing solid advice. It's a wonder anyone manages to succeed in their weight loss and fitness goals here, what with all the smart people getting banned for no reason. /sarcasm

I hope they can find a new place to dole out golden nuggets of advice where they're not expected to oh, not be abusive, offensive jerks while they do it? Maybe you can go find them and their terrific advice in that fitness-advice mecca.

Good luck on your gurney. :flowerforyou:
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options

Maybe those "offensive jerks" just don't blow sunshine and roses up everyone's posteriors and give real advice that would actually be helpful if the intended target would listen instead of whining about someone being mean.
  • vicabra
    vicabra Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    LMAO! Thank you for this!
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Really? I've been here for a ween I think and I love it! It's helpful and fun. Of course there are those "cheeseburgers lovers" who hate on everyone who's trying to be healthy. I mostly ignore them since 1. They are NOT trying to be healthy. 2. They have a high metabolism that they don't need to worry about weights.

Not that I'm proud of it but I used to hate on salad eaters. I used to have high metabolism and always was that double digit tiny girl. Nachos, ramen, white rice, fries you name it, I ate it all and never gained a pound. So I had no idea how people gained weight if I didn't. Anyways, 3 years ago, I started working and got a desk job. I was barely active and ate little. Ended up gaining weight and slowing down my metabolism. Sigh!

Now I started eating somewhat healthy. Never knew salad was actually very delicious until I tried. Don't like burgers as much now. I still eat little but trying really hard to increase it slowly. Now I can totally understand how hard or hard work it is to be healthy and lose weight once you have tasted junk food.

Bottom line, they have their stories and don't feel so bad. Ignore and focus on the solution you came here to find. Wala! This site is super helpful and I feel more motivated.

Cheeseburger lovers?! All the lolz. Oh you, you poor clean eating thing.

Wat8.jpg?1315930535
  • FeefWV
    FeefWV Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's because they are "dieting"????????????????????
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

this explains. SO much.

The rules get broken regularly- it isn't your job to be the forum police for silly infractions that offend your sensibilities.

I think the reporting for swearing is RIDICULOUS around here- seriously- we are all adults- there is an age limit for this site- why people get reported and possibly banned for swearing to me is BEYOND ludicrous. But according to you- it's perfectly fine to get someone who could very well be a huge asset to the community totally banned because you don't like four letter word color metaphors.

Are you the person who drives 55 in the left lane because THAT"S THE SPEED LIMIT AND EVERYONE IS BREAKING THE RULES SO IT"S OKAY. (PS- no it's not- the left lane is for passing so if you aren't passing people you're also wrong)

Outside of significant thread/damage/wrong-doing- doing that just makes you feel morally superior- and it doesn't change people's behavior. So- same same here- unless someone is spamming- or personally attacking- like legitimately personally attacking them- it's over kill- get off the report button- it's not worth it- and you wind up killing the community.

And then you won't have a community at all to hang out on.
  • vicabra
    vicabra Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    sometimes it's just because being mean is kinda fun.

37115-Cat-falling-off-bookshelf-gif-9X6q.gif

I'll get it - thank you for THIS! :blushing: :laugh:
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    And this thread is missing something with cats in it so:
    s1600
    I have now stolen this!!! Thanks
  • Lottiotta
    Lottiotta Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    omg lol love it! haha so weird trolls dont usually bug me but on this site for some reason it was maybe im just pms sentitive lmao but this is great

wait... you're allowed to blame your behavior on PMS but if I ask if its that time of the month, its bad?

Yeah, absolutely! Assuming stuff about other people's bodies is always rude.

Here's some cool stuff I learned about hormones. People say women are all irrational and get angry about nothing when they're PMSing, right? But testosterone is highest just before menstruation. That means that women are hormonally closest to being men when they're premenstrual. Hormonally speaking post-menopausal women are the most stable, more so than men, and yet hormonal instability has been used as a reason to prevent women from attaining positions of power. Innnnnteresting, huh?

Also, if someone is angry and is feeling it more because of hormones, that doesn't mean the cause isn't there.

This isn't directed at you, person-who-posted-the-nice-dark-haired-man-from-Vampire-Diaries-being-emotional. It's just, I thought it was cool so I shared it.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    From my perspective, most of the "mean" posts are not directed at people looking for help. They are directed at people who are giving unsubstantiated advice to someone desperate. Every day, someone new comes to a forum and thinks they are the bright and shining light of truth and reason that can solve all the problems of the world. And their feelings are hurt when it is bluntly pointed out to them that they aren't.

One of my first posts here I gave my opinion and was shot down by an old-timer. I'm an adult, so I had a second cup of coffee, realized he had a point, and decided to read here a little more to get a feel for the "environment" before I posted again. I was used to knowing more about this stuff than the people I know IRL, but there are a ton of people here with more knowledge than me, so now I pick my spots. Dealing with being challenged, and sometimes being wrong, and not being coddled by the world, is a priceless life skill!

Plus, in for all the gifs :love:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    It happens...Don't let it bother you.