Why you SHOULDN'T count calories

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    People on here make it seem like calorie counting is the only way to lose weight ever. Everyone is different.

You can eat at a deficit and lose weight without counting a single calorie. Weight loss is not a one size fits all type of thing.

How do you know you are in a deficit then?

The same way people who track should use to confirm state of energy balance: Is your bodyweight reducing?

Tracking calories does not guarantee you are in an energy deficit.
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    i dont have a file of my research on hand at all times to help out people who get but hurt when you say something as common sense as 'putting harmful chemicals in your body is harmful' lmao. So if this concept upsets you then you are certainly free to ignore it if your interested then do your own research as well iv certainly done mine, 0cal chemicals lose to healthy calories everytime. No one can force you to be healthy but no need to get all but hurt

I haven't seen a single person here that is "but hurt" but you. They are only pointing out that there is zero scientific findings to back up your supposed research. That's why they asked for sources (and don't list Dr. Oz or you'll just get laughed out of the place). They are also pointing out that as someone who is denouncing "harmful chemicals" so much, you are a rather big hypocrite for smoking. I'm pretty sure drinking diet sodas don't give you cancer, but what do I know? I'm just another "but hurt" forum user (that doesn't actually drink diet sodas because they taste awful - give me Coke original any day!).
    i dont smoke lmao wtf

smoke_zpsccc7813b.png

tumblr_luuamkObFH1r13ces.gif
    not ciggerettes lol natural plants :p durrr
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,569 Member
    Options
    Hmm. If I used that strategy on my credit card (not counting how much I'm spending), I'll eventually end up bankrupt. Yeah, knowing numbers is kinda of important.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    The theory of clean eating is sound – eat more foods with less artificial ingredients / less processing / less pesticides, etc. You can consistently choose fattening “clean foods” over less fattening processed food and gain weight, no doubt,. Clean eating isn't necessarily a methodology for losing weight, it is having food quality standards for yourself
    This x100000, thank you!
  • LivingHealthyLove
    Options
    lol people are very defensive of their diet sodas lmao no ones taking them away just pointing out how unhealthy they are you are still free to drink them calm your hormones

Please back this statement up with peer reviewed evidence.
    Links...

What's wrong with you people?! Read a health book, please! I'm randomly jumping in here to stop the slaughter of the person who mentioned that diet soda is bad. My explanation will come from memory of books I have read that have, yes, cited their sources. Why is a cup of regular coke better than diet coke? It's better because it does not contain harmful sugar substitutes that is in it's zero calorie counterpart. Example of a harmful sugar substitute, you ask? Sure! ASPARTAME.

Aspartame is bad for you and don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise and hell yes, it is bad for you in any quantity. I don't even chew the bull sugar-free gum anymore and guess what?! Less gas, bloating, brain fog, diarrhea and all gone by eliminating gum with sorbitol and aspartame. How much you drink or chew will just slow down or speed up the "harmful" process. Aspartame, like MSG (everyone is afraid of MSG but not aspartame I see), is an exotoxin. Exotoxins cause degenerative effects on the brain and nervous system. It's effects are cumulative. You may feel fine at first, but will then notice neurological issues such as headaches, brain fog and early signs of dementia. Do you really want to suffer through that (if you aren't already) just because you want to save a few cals. How about don't drink it at all.. or save it for a special occasion to indulge in junk. Hey, we're human.. we like junk sometimes.. just throw away the "diet junk."

For the person who mentioned diet stuff is bad, it is helpful to know why before mentioning it on a controversial thread such as this one because there are jerks out there that will try to stomp on you and make you feel stupid. By yelling show a link blah blah blah.. they are trying to bury you. Just try to know at least some of the facts first. Diet soda is harmful towards your overall health.. I don't see how exactly it may hinder weight loss though. Just because you lose weight though, doesn't mean it's healthy. As for links, please google it, people. I'm not going to do the research for you. :wink:
  • alexsondra34
    alexsondra34 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    the way i see it is that not all calories are created equal, it is not the same to eat fat from olive oil or processed disgusting transfats, it's not the same to eat a raw- vegan cake made with organic natural ingredients and to eat choclate cake made with bleaches flour, refined sugar, etc even if it's the same number of calories, the key thing here is how does your body use and process different foods.

calories are not the whole story,the nutritional content affects everything from digestion, to hormone production to energy levels.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    lol people are very defensive of their diet sodas lmao no ones taking them away just pointing out how unhealthy they are you are still free to drink them calm your hormones

Links...

What's wrong with you people?! Read a health book, please! I'm randomly jumping in here to stop the slaughter of the person who mentioned that diet soda is bad. My explanation will come from memory of books I have read that have, yes, cited their sources. Why is a cup of regular coke better than diet coke? It's better because it does not contain harmful sugar substitutes that is in it's zero calorie counterpart. Example of a harmful sugar substitute, you ask? Sure! ASPARTAME.

Aspartame is bad for you and don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise and hell yes, it is bad for you in any quantity. I don't even chew the bull sugar-free gum anymore and guess what?! Less gas, bloating, brain fog, diarrhea and all gone by eliminating gum with sorbitol and aspartame. How much you drink or chew will just slow down or speed up the "harmful" process. Aspartame, like MSG (everyone is afraid of MSG but not aspartame I see), is an exotoxin. Exotoxins cause degenerative effects on the brain and nervous system. It's effects are cumulative. You may feel fine at first, but will then notice neurological issues such as headaches, brain fog and early signs of dementia. Do you really want to suffer through that (if you aren't already) just because you want to save a few cals. How about don't drink it at all.. or save it for a special occasion to indulge in junk. Hey, we're human.. we like junk sometimes.. just throw away the "diet junk."

For the person who mentioned diet stuff is bad, it is helpful to know why before mentioning it on a controversial thread such as this one because there are jerks out there that will try to stomp on you and make you feel stupid. By yelling show a link blah blah blah.. they are trying to bury you. Just try to know at least some of the facts first. Diet soda is harmful towards your overall health.. I don't see how exactly it may hinder weight loss though. Just because you lose weight though, doesn't mean it's healthy.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1308408-why-aspartame-isn-t-scary

The reason people ask for links is to prove what you're spewing "from memory" hasn't been proven. Can you provide one of the sources from said books, I mean it is pertinent to the conversation.
  • LivingHealthyLove
    Options
    the way i see it is that not all calories are created equal, it is not the same to eat fat from olive oil or processed disgusting transfats, it's not the same to eat a raw- vegan cake made with organic natural ingredients and to eat choclate cake made with bleaches flour, refined sugar, etc even if it's the same number of calories, the key thing here is how does your body use and process different foods.

calories are not the whole story,the nutritional content affects everything from digestion, to hormone production to energy levels.

Totally agree!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Links...

For the person who mentioned diet stuff is bad, it is helpful to know why before mentioning it on a controversial thread such as this one because there are jerks out there that will try to stomp on you and make you feel stupid. By yelling show a link blah blah blah.. they are trying to bury you. Just try to know at least some of the facts first. Diet soda is harmful towards your overall health.. I don't see how exactly it may hinder weight loss though. Just because you lose weight though, doesn't mean it's healthy. As for links, please google it, people. I'm not going to do the research for you. :wink:
    So people are jerks now for asking you to back up your claims with evidence? Ok.
    BTW, you've done exactly as she has. You've done nothing but say it's harmful and provided no evidence.
    I give up. Too many people need a critical thinking course..
  • SideSteel
    Options

Links...

Aspartame is fine in doses well under the ADI.
  • LivingHealthyLove
    Options

Links...

For the person who mentioned diet stuff is bad, it is helpful to know why before mentioning it on a controversial thread such as this one because there are jerks out there that will try to stomp on you and make you feel stupid. By yelling show a link blah blah blah.. they are trying to bury you. Just try to know at least some of the facts first. Diet soda is harmful towards your overall health.. I don't see how exactly it may hinder weight loss though. Just because you lose weight though, doesn't mean it's healthy.

The reason people ask for links is to prove what you're spewing
    mentioned that diet soda is bad. My explanation will
    hasn't been proven. Can you provide one of the sources, I mean it is pertinent to the conversation.

One of my favorite books is the Truth About Beauty by Kat James. She cites all of her sources in that book (which include case studies not articles written by people with no credibility). It's a great read and you are free to purchase on amazon, if you like. There are also a ton of other books out there.

Aside from that, put down the diet soda for some time and stop chewing sugar free gum and watch the magic. It's all about how YOUR body responds to things. Again, I dropped the gum containing sorbitol and aspartame and I have not had the scary brain fog symptoms, gas, bloating and diarrhea. Try it and see.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

It's probably the most studied food additive. But that won't sway the true believers and wellness coaches.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Toasters are harmful.

In fact, if anyone says that toasters aren't harmful, don't listen to them. I've done my research on toasters and I'm not going to research them for you. In fact, toasters aren't natural! They are made in a factory!

Do your research.

Is this an okay post?
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

Links...

Pardon me for asking someone to actually back up their claim with something other than the Google zeitgeist. Lots of things can be found on Google. Existence is not enough to justify believing it at face value.

You make a claim, you get to support. Them's the rules.
  • SideSteel
    Options

It's probably the most studied food additive. But that won't sway the true believers and wellness coaches.

Agreed.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Toasters are harmful.

In fact, if anyone says that toasters aren't harmful, don't listen to them. I've done my research on toasters and I'm not going to research them for you. In fact, toasters aren't natural! They are made in a factory!

Do your research.

Is this an okay post?

I can attest to their evil. My cat peed on mine.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Links...

The reason people ask for links is to prove what you're spewing
    mentioned that diet soda is bad. My explanation will
    hasn't been proven. Can you provide one of the sources, I mean it is pertinent to the conversation.

One of my favorite books is the Truth About Beauty by Kat James. She cites all of her sources in that book (which include case studies not articles written by people with no credibility). It's a great read and you are free to purchase on amazon, if you like. There are also a ton of other books out there.

Aside from that, put down the diet soda for some time and stop chewing sugar free gum and watch the magic. It's all about how YOUR body responds to things. Again, I dropped the gum containing sorbitol and aspartame and I have not had the scary brain fog symptoms, gas, bloating and diarrhea. Try it and see.

I'd rather not pay the $16 on Amazon for food fear mongering. I'd rather you just pass along a link or two to her sources and I (we) can go from there.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Toasters are harmful.

Do your research.

Is this an okay post?

I threw mine in the tub with my cat.... nevermind. Now I have a rash on my left bicep. Coincidence? I think not.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Toasters are harmful.

Do your research.

Is this an okay post?

I threw mine in the tub with my cat.... nevermind. Now I have a rash on my left bicep. Coincidence? I think not.

Mine was a plot if revenge...so I can no longer toast bread....

25i0uo4.jpg
  • xenl
    xenl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I eat 2000+ calories while meeting my bodies nutrient needs and STILL have ice cream and fun stuff every day. While I would one day like to stop counting calories, I am not yet confident in my ability to meet those needs without it. Counting calories also gives me the ability to count macros/micros and I'm pretty crappy at making good choices to meet those needs. Particularly getting the proper amount of protein. I, in no way, can meet my protein needs on my own at this point lol.

Yeah, people forget that counting calories isn't just about making sure you don't go over a certain amount. It's important to make sure you're getting enough calories as well. I think a lot of people don't take in enough calories and as a result their bodies aren't properly fueled.