Next time you go to subway

Options

Replies

• aethre
    aethre Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Chemicals, man. That dihydrogen monoxide stuff kills people every year and it's in almost everything Subway serves. :tongue:

Edited to add: Raspberry cheesecake cookies. Those don't have chemicals,
  • rawremzilly
    Options
    Well I know where I'm getting lunch tomorrow... Cheers, OP
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I have worked at 4 different Subways and yes, they did all change the expiration dates on food. Not the one on the package. But when you take it out of the package you date the food and it's good for "x" days. When "x" days were up if the food was still left we were required to put a new sticker on it with the new date.
    What new date?

I work at Quiznos and we have to use everything within 48 hours of slicing it/opening the package (we slice the meat and cheese ourselves) so im guessing its the same at Subway. So if its good from Sept 14-16 they probably change it to Sept 16-18 after the 16th.
    I worked at dozens of restaurants before and during college and never saw anything like that. Though none were fast food or delis.

But why bother date labeling the food, if the dates are ignored? To fool corporate when they come check? Don't the store managers realize a case of food poisoning from listeria laced turkey is going to be a lot more harmful to their career than higher food costs?

I'm no food priss but I'm glad I don't eat at sub shops except on very rare occasions. Expired deli meat is gross. :sick:
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I have worked at 4 different Subways and yes, they did all change the expiration dates on food. Not the one on the package. But when you take it out of the package you date the food and it's good for "x" days. When "x" days were up if the food was still left we were required to put a new sticker on it with the new date.
    What new date?

I work at Quiznos and we have to use everything within 48 hours of slicing it/opening the package (we slice the meat and cheese ourselves) so im guessing its the same at Subway. So if its good from Sept 14-16 they probably change it to Sept 16-18 after the 16th.
    I worked at dozens of restaurants before and during college and never saw anything like that. Though none were fast food or delis.

But why bother date labeling the food, if the dates are ignored? To fool corporate when they come check? Don't the store managers realize a case of food poisoning from listeria laced turkey is going to be a lot more harmful to their career than higher food costs?

I'm no food priss but I'm glad I don't eat at sub shops except on very rare occasions. Expired deli meat is gross. :sick:

We don't do this at the store that I work at, we sell everything too fast to have old food around lol.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Good to know. The places I worked at had ordering down to a science so food wasn't wasted. If anything you ran out of items because you want to err on the side of having too little of the perishables, not too much.
  • shamrock432
    Options
    Why is this in Fitness and Exercise??
    consider the fact that when food expires, they just change the labels to a different date.
    you've seen this personally with your own eyes??
    My friend owns a subway- I can double check from her- but I can promise you she's never done that at HER"S.
    and when they drop bread on the floor, they wait until all costumers have left and put it back in the ready to serve bread cabinets.
    you've seen this personally with your own eyes? PS I eat food off my floor at home all the time- and I'm pretty sure cats are not remotely close to sanitary.
    Also, consider that all of the meats and cheese come pre packaged and pre sliced.
    and you're point? The meat I buy for dinner comes prepackaged- and sometimes when i'm lazy?? PRESLICED!!!
    There is nothing authentic about subway,
    it's a hoagie- not a cultural appreciation stop.
    and although it may have lower calories ( not even that much of a difference ) than most fast food, it is definitely filled with just as many chemicals.

the air you breath is significantly full of chemicals as well- I guess you should just stop breathing too.

Why are you so defensive? I am just letting a little info out about my Subway. I am working there until I go to school next fall and it feels good to let out a little anonymous information about how gross the fast food industry is.
  • shamrock432
    Options
    I
  • Dennis4766
    Dennis4766 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Both my wife & son have worked at Subway and none of the OP's accusations happened at the subway they worked at.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    costumers

And I'm done.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    Why are you so defensive? I am just letting a little info out about my Subway. I am working there until I go to school next fall and it feels good to let out a little anonymous information about how gross the fast food industry is.
    You want to HELP people. Make a report to FDA or even OSHA. But make sure you got your facts straight. If you're the only one doing it, then you're the person who should be ashamed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options

Then I'm going to hold you personally liable if anyone gets sick from eating at the Subway at which you work. You KNOW what's going on there and are doing NOTHING to save your customers from impending illness and/or death. I guess you care about a paycheck then the health and safety of others.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    I
    Saw your post before you edited it. Mentioning of not washing your hands then working on making sandwiches is a state and federal violation. Not to mention that YOU are part of the problem about bad food service. Epic post here.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I
    Saw your post before you edited it. Mentioning of not washing your hands then working on making sandwiches is a state and federal violation. Not to mention that YOU are part of the problem about bad food service. Epic post here.

IDEA Fitness member

O.O

Glad someone caught that :laugh: And ew. What the hell OP. :angry:
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I

IDEA Fitness member

:sick:

Yeah, glad someone caught that one. Gross. Especially with the massive outbreak of Enterovirus running rampant through parts of the US, food workers need to really be on their game about doing whatever they can to keep their hands clean.
  • wgaue
    wgaue Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Know I know what we're having for supper. Subway, here I come.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I

IDEA Fitness member

Wish you could have screenshotted it. Wish there was a way the admins could track his IP so he could be reported.

To the OP: Weren't you ever taught that two wrongs don't make a right? Even if everyone else is doing it doesn't mean you have to? If you don't feel that you should just "relabel" the food, refuse to. And ewww. Wash your d@mn hands. You want to feed people your feces? Are you sick in the head? Go work as a phone operator somewhere if you can't handle a service industry job.
  • derrickyoung
    derrickyoung Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    when they drop bread on the floor, they wait until all costumers have left and put it back in the ready to serve bread cabinets.

Do you honestly think that this does not happen in every kitchen? Pick your finest restaurant and ask yourself if a line cook drops a 40.00 piece of beef onto the floor while rushing that he does not pick it up clean it up and throw on the grill. I can tell you he does. He would rather do that then explain the 40.00 mistake. I owned a restaurant years ago. It happens everywhere. Even if management/ownership are against it. Somewhere down the line the human element kicks in.
  • Bluwaves1
    Bluwaves1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I always check to see if people wash thier hands. The small sub shop I go to I am pleased to see the same two women working there and they do frequenly wash thier hands! Awesome!

I have walked out of other places when a worker emptied the trash, swept the floor , then with the same pair of gloves started to make my sub... "I change my mind thanks" gross!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I

IDEA Fitness member

So you try to make the location you work at look bad by claiming all the other things are happening (and they may very well be), but you are clearly part of the problem. You obviously recognize that and realize it is wrong, or you wouldn't have felt the need to edit your post and remove the information described above. Perhaps consider your own responsibility in this matter. How many of the things you describe seeing are things you are actually doing yourself? Accepting the problem is the first step to changing it. You can do better, but you need to choose that.