Should People Be Allowed To Smoke In Public ?

Options

Replies

• tailored_ink
    Options
    Judgement should be illegal. Everyone has a choice we were born with free will. Designated areas = ABSOLUTELY. It should be illegal to drive truck due to pollution and certain hair products soaps, foods etc due to the negative effect it has on humans? ITS YOUR CHOICE to say no or simply walk away.
  • TheLostMermaid
    Options
    You know whats a huge pet peeve for me?

Sitting in my car in traffic and having to inhale second hand smoke from another car.

Truth of the matter is though there really is no way to regulate it.

Cigarettes should just be banned in my opinion. Stop making them and people will stop smoking them.
  • SheGlows
    SheGlows Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I am all for freedom and for the government staying out of your choices, but when the consequences of your choice are put on other people who didn't have any say in the matter then those people should be protected. You want to smoke fine. But everyone else around you shouldn't be forced to breathe in your smoke. You want to get drunk, fine but don't get in a car and potentially endanger other people's lives.

Edit: I should be clear that I am talking about public places. In your own home, friends house, etc it's the person's rules and if I want to be there I will suck it up and ignore it or say sorry I'd love to come to your party but can't stand the smoke. Businesses often have their employees to think of even if the patrons don't mind.

+1
  • tailored_ink
    Options
    Yes. Just don't be an *kitten*. Should people be allowed to have their cars idle while waiting in parking lots? Should people be allowed to have little bonfires and roast marshmallows?
    \

Perfect :SD
  • MasterBroshi
    MasterBroshi Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am all for freedom and for the government staying out of your choices, but when the consequences of your choice are put on other people who didn't have any say in the matter then those people should be protected. You want to smoke fine. But everyone else around you shouldn't be forced to breathe in your smoke. You want to get drunk, fine but don't get in a car and potentially endanger other people's lives.

Edit: I should be clear that I am talking about public places. In your own home, friends house, etc it's the person's rules and if I want to be there I will suck it up and ignore it or say sorry I'd love to come to your party but can't stand the smoke. Businesses often have their employees to think of even if the patrons don't mind.

This ^^^^

I agree
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Restaurant patio is not "public", so the restaurant gets to decide.

"Public" in general? Outside? Sure.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Glad someone else understands the distinction.
  • ASH2038602
    ASH2038602 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I would smoke in public even if it weren't allowed. I am considerate, but I won't be told I can't smoke anywhere outside. I never smoke near the entrance/exit of a building, always get as far from people as I can (if there's too large of a crowd I wait) if I am smoking and someone's kid comes walking by I will move out of the way or put it out, and I throw my butts in the trash if there isn't an ash tray. I do my best to make sure my smoking isn't bothering anyone else, but saying it shouldn't be allowed is ridiculous.

All of that being said, I am hoping to quit soon lol
  • cmpnaz
    cmpnaz Posts: 190
    Options
    Ban cell phones(potential risk from radiation alone) and texting and driving too, because it is catching up to Drinking an driving for # of caused auto accidents and fatalities....
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I think it was wrong when our government made smoking in eating establishments illegal. If it was truly an issue with the majority then businesses would have adapted on their own or go out of business. However, the minority seems to have the loudest voice in governerment right now. They do not understand individual rights is meant to work in both directions instead of just their own. If the

Now, do not get me wrong, I actually enjoy going out to a restaurant now and not having to inhale smoke. Lets face it, smoking and non smoking areas did not work that well. I enjoy going into a hotel room and not having to worry about that nasty second hand smoke smell that just clings to everything.

I personally think if smokers understood how bad it actually smells they would not do it around non-smokers. I used to be a smoker and I can tell you I didn't realize how bad it stank. Both my parents and siblings all still smoke. The house just reeks and even after only an hour in their houses my clothes just reek of stale second hand smoke. I did not realize how bad it was till at least a year or two after I quit smoking.

So, to answer the OP question. The government should not get involved with banning smoking in public places.
  • TheLostMermaid
    Options
    smoking should be illegal...period

And then the government should ban fast food and mandate fat people to work out.

YES! Absolutely. Shut down Tobacco, Fire Arms, Alcohol, Fast Food, and all the other nonsense.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options

+1

So, just to clarify, can I still have my cigar when golfing? Think carefully or I may have to drown you in a mud puddle :wink:

I live in a very progressive (gag me) college town that has been smoke free inside for a long, long time. They have also designated smoke free as within 20 feet of any operating door to keep the smokers from huddling in the doorways in cold or inclement whether.

Incidentally, nearly every pool hall went out of business when they passed the smoking ordinance.
  • cmpnaz
    Options

And then the government should ban fast food and mandate fat people to work out.

YES! Absolutely. Shut down Tobacco, Fire Arms, Alcohol, Fast Food, and all the other nonsense.

and cosmetic companies too , as they are unsure of the potential long term risks associated with some of the chemicals used in what goes in that hair and on those faces ...

Better yet lets all go Puritan and Amish !
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    Yes. They should be. People go outside specifically to smoke. There are non-smoking areas.

Honestly if it was that bad i would be dead by now because i have been breathing in my parents smoke since i was born. Unless you're asthmatic or anything, then i might be offending you but, meh. Usually in public cafe's n the like there are smoking and non smoking areas so i wouldn't complain about someone 'ruining' your air for 5 seconds when you walk past.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

+1

So, just to clarify, can I still have my cigar when golfing? Think carefully or I may have to drown you in a mud puddle :wink:

Only if the golf course says it's okay. Golf course still not "public".
  • TheLostMermaid
    Options

and cosmetic companies too , as they are unsure of the potential long term risks associated with some of the chemicals used in what goes in that hair and on those faces ...

Better yet lets all go Puritan and Amish !

That would actually be an excellent idea. At least if you go Amish you are saving a **** ton of money. And your body would be in excellent condition just from daily living.

Lets do it!
  • spirytwynd
    spirytwynd Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I dislike smoking a great deal. However, I am opposed to smoking bans. We have too many rules. This country was founded on freedom, not rules. People need to have freedom and choices. If we go around making everyone's choices for them, or allowing the government to make those choices for us - we will end up not being able to make choices, nor will we have choices to make.
  • TheLostMermaid
    Options
    Frankly, I dislike smoking a great deal. However, I am opposed to smoking bans. We have too many rules. This country was founded on freedom, not rules. People need to have freedom and choices. If we go around making everyone's choices for them, or allowing the government to make those choices for us - we will end up not being able to make choices, nor will we have choices to make.

Ah the government is such a fickle topic.

But GENERALLY speaking smoking causes cancer. Its a health risk. Government should stand up and PROTECT its people by getting tobacco off the streets.

Without going into all the facts of teenagers using, children dying of second hand smoke, and even smokers themselves being effected greatly, I think someone should regulate the rules of tobacco.
  • curvy_gamer_loses
    curvy_gamer_loses Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have no problem if it's in the smoking area. Other than that no. I don't want to be around people's smoke at all. Gross.
  • cmpnaz
    Options

Ah the government is such a fickle topic.

But GENERALLY speaking smoking causes cancer. Its a health risk. Government should stand up and PROTECT its people by getting tobacco off the streets.

Without going into all the facts of teenagers using, children dying of second hand smoke, and even smokers themselves being effected greatly, I think someone should regulate the rules of tobacco.

There should be an EPA in China too.... Refined Sugars are just as deadly as a society with greater health risks overall, but government subsidies keep it cheap and feeding the lower middle classes ... if you want to associate health risks as to a reason for banning things much more would need to be banned .... By the way Radon ( a naturally occurring gas) makes up about 20k of the 26k-30k lung cancer deaths of non smokers in the U.S. each year.. no getting rid of that...