Replies

• KATRENAJ
    KATRENAJ Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    There's no defeat in life
    Save from within,
    Unless you're beaten there
    You're bound to win

We are all winners. Went for the job interview and it was tougher than I though. I have been an interviewer for years and it is quite different being on the other end, plus it has been years since I interviewed. Lots of questions about working with children and I havent actually done paid work with children but I love them and have them around me all the time. This job is part time for 3 months administering National Exam tests at schools to determine their rankings. I know I can do it, but I have no background in Education and if I am selected, it will be because they can't find anyone more qualified. Pretty sure they will give me the territory in the boonies, but that is ok, as I like to travel, though in Feb & "March, the mountain territories can be treacherous

Today is going to be a great day for me. I am going to water aerobics tonight and I am planning for my evening meal, so I stay on track. I am also going to work in my front flower bed. I plan to visit my niece tomorrow and on the way back stop and get some pansies to plant in the front.

My biggest success for the week has been getting back to normal and cleaning my house and working in the yard. In other words, I am beginning to care about myself and my surroundings.

KathiJo, Dream, Dhines, Emma, Kuddled, Jbbella, Niecey – Welcome to our group!
    TOOTS: ENJOY CHINA AND YOUR NEW FAMILY.
    SUSAN2396 - You are always so encouraging and it is amazing how much you accomplish, both in your professional and personal life. You Rock!!!
    cblue 315 - Your paperwork, you think. I havent balance anything since last Dec. It's on my way but keeps getting moved to the bottom. Hopefully I will tackle this week. Congrats on the weight loss -
    Congrats on 34 years, that is an accomplishment. I wonder if the two different lifestyles are compatible and can be worked out. Perhaps your changes will make an impact on your hubby. It is a personal thing and I know in my daughters case, I think her husbands influence contributed to her gaining her weight back, but ultimately she has to take responsibility for the weight. I know others say their husband encourage them, but even with my now ex husbands encouragement I still remained heavy, so ultimately we each have to row our own boat, though it is certainly nice to have someone helping us. My best wishes are with you, but know that being outside a marriage is tough, tough tough
    Congrats on the bike. I think I will dig mine out and try riding this week, since the weather has cooled down some
    Bohemian. Your life sounds like a hoot, which is in the South in America, a good time.
    Morgori - I love the Colin Powell quote. Thanks for reminding us to be happy. And for the inspiration, you 144 weight loss provided.
    Soosun - Welcome back, sounds like you are on track
    Skinnyjeans - You are making good progress. Also regarding the orthotics, can they go in dress shoes. I have been resisting these because I don't want to wear tennis shoes the rest of my life
    Robin - So sorry about the fall. Hoping you get better soon
    Hansea47 - Oh I thought we were to only log the good choices, Just kidding, Surprizing how hard it is to log an ice cream bar. So sorry about your friends child. I'll pray for him. What state are you in?
    Also great for staying under with pizza, which gets a bad rap. It's actualy quite good for you if you can stay with one piece
    Teresa - Sorry about your back. I've had foot problems that always respond to getting my back problem fixed. I believe they are connected. The chiropracter, physcial therapist (especially dry needling) have helped me tremendously with back problem, but foot problem only responds to cortisone shots in my back. Trying not to get too many. Exercise makes the back problem worse, but I am working with a corrective exercise trainer who is helping. I sleep on ice packs most nights. Hope you can get a handle on ths.

Lives2Travel - Your weight loss is so inspiring
    Bohemian - What I liked so much when I visited England in April two years ago, even the tiniest most modest houses, apartments seem to have had gardens that were given lots of thoughs. I just love that mentality. I read once that in China during one of their revolutions, they made the school children dig up grass and no one was allowed to raise flowers. I always thought that was so dehumanizing. I loe the beauty of a bloom.

LaurieK - You are really active. Your description of Scuba made me laugh, but I was at the gym the other day and I thought, if the guys don't come to me maybe this is where to meet them. Most are younger and hunks, but I did meet an older chap in the hot tub. He said I had a nice personality. Not what I wanted to hear, but guess it will do. Of course, with no makeup and looking like a drowned rat, what could I expect.
    When I was getting certified to teach water aerobics, we had to dive underwater and rescue a dummy, and that was the hardest part. I actually had to have a swimming instructor work with me to help me develop that skill so I could pass the exam. Not to worry, Aerobic instructors at the Y are not allowed to rescue students. That is the job of the lifeguard.

Rachwin - Glad you are here. Agree with your decision about surgery. My daugher had it, major surgery, lots of complications and has gained almost all her weight back along with the health issues and is now most likely malnourished. On the other hand a friend had it and has done pretty good keeping her weight off. Diet and exerise are, in my opionion, the only way to lost and maintain, if we can maintain the lifestyle

trhgr - Tina, Welcome back and hope life gets easier for you

Jennintx - Welcome back and keep up the good work. You know what it takes.

Tanya- Sounds like a fun day with the canoes.

ITS NO WONDER THAT I AM NOT LOSING. I AM NOT STAYING WITHIN CALORIE PLAN. AS DR JOHN SKLARE OF EDIETS WOULD SAY "YOU ARE ON AUTO PILOT"
    Struggling, picked up brownies and put them back 3 times at Kroger but finally walked away. I have to ask myself, do I want to be healthy or get the satisfaction of the moment.
    The challenge is useful to help me see what is really going on.

SEPT CHALLENGE 6 OUT OF 14 under Goal This was 3 out of 10. adjut as necessary
    Exercise 7 out of 12
    As of 9/15

Katren a
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options

@Tom -- I really liked Grasshoppers when I was a teenager. Thank goodness my taste in drink improved!

-- Alison

LOL Alison, I'm glad your taste in drinks has improved!

Skinnyjeanzbound- I loved the ‘70’s it was my favorite decade so far.

GrammyWhammy- February 11, 2015 is
    Peppermint Patty Day
    It’s Peppermint Patty Day! A peppermint patty is a tasty confection made with a rich, creamy peppermint filling covered in semisweet chocolate. The York Cone Company, which was based in Pennsylvania and originally produced ice cream cones, invented the York Peppermint Pattie in 1940. Unlike the existing chocolate-covered peppermint candies, York’s product was firm and crisp. It soon became the premier candy of its kind.
    Peppermint patties also gained notoriety after the debut of Peanuts, Charles M. Schultz's famous comic strip, in 1966. One of the main characters was Patricia "Peppermint Patty" Reichardt.
    To celebrate Peppermint Patty Day, enjoy a minty and refreshing dark chocolate patty!

Tom
  • chelle5555
    chelle5555 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm in
  • DebbieDRa
    DebbieDRa Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I need to lose 100 plus lbs. Also would like new friends too.
  • candygirl13000
    candygirl13000 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! I have 200lbs to lose and my doctor suggested bariatric surgery. I don't want to do it. I feel like its the easy way out. I also know a number of people who have had it done and they've had lots of trouble. My problem is overeating. When I eat something I love, I can't stop. For the past 2 years, I have been eliminating my trigger foods. Pop, chips, fast food, donuts, pasta with butter. I've been trying new, healthy things and doing much more activity. Making little changes gradually has helped me.
  • jelkins2000
    jelkins2000 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Joined a gym yesterday. Heading there after work today for my first work out in a long long time. Hope I survive!
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    It is a bit different when we need to lose 100 pounds or more. I had almost given up a year ago and started using a calorie app; what do you know? It worked. I have been at it since 12/1/13 and have been extremely faithful. I am now working on my last 40-50 pounds! Best wishes for your success.
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone. Sorry I havent been on and posting and telling you all how wonderful I truly think you are. Not sure what my problem has been lately. I think I am just feeling a little sorry for myself because I had all these fun things planned for this summer and then my darn ankle got in the way and now the summer is basically gone. On the upside my darling hubby comes home tomorrow night and we have a bunch of fun things planned. I am up about ten pounds and plan on updating my ticker since it isnt just disappearing. I am not going to get all ughh over it though. That still has me down 60 and I will lose it again. Well I will definitley be hit or miss for the next 20 days or so while hubby is home but know you are all in my thoughts and prayers,:flowerforyou: :heart: :heart: :drinker: :drinker:
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Teresa_3266
    Teresa_3266 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    It's Monday!!!! Which in my world means that it's Friday and I have the next two days off!!! Living for the weekend! :drinker: :heart: :bigsmile:

Tomorrow is the chiro appointment and I'm really hoping he can do something to help me. This back of mine, which always has an issue got worse after I upped my exercise, including doing squats. So, I will NOT be doing the squat challenge anytime soon. :wink:

Eating has been really good today and hopefully I will keep it going. I leave in one month for Florida to see my family and while I won't be anywhere near thin I would at least like to be in a couple of cute shirts that are living in my closet just dying for a vacation. :bigsmile:

@Tom, I love me some peppermint.............anyway I can get it!!! :heart:

I'll see ya'll tomorrow! :flowerforyou:
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Tom: You are amazing! Thanks for finding that for me. You know I'm circling Peppermint Patty Day on my calendar. I eat them every chance I get, usually FROZEN (they take longer that way, nibbling around the edge to the middle). 1 regular York patty is 140 calories. The small ones are 50 calories each. And they are low fat! Pearson's makes them too, but York is the Godiva of peppermint patties.:bigsmile:
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    tina- Welcome back. I know you can make the commitment again and you will succeed.

Welcome to all the new people.

Cblue- enjoy the new bike. What kind did you get? I have a Giant

Today was a good day until I headed home from the mall. I was rear ended at a stop light by a young driver with VA tags- meaning out of state. I got out of the car and asked her to follow me around the corner so we would be out of the flow of traffic and safer. She came around the corner then when I turned into the parking lot, she kept going. Needless to say, I told the county police officers who were sitting in the parking of the WAWA where I stopped. They tried to find her but it was useless, she was long gone. I will not make that mistake again. I will remember to get a photo of the license plate.

I am fine and the car only has a little damage on the rear bumper. Will take it to a shop soon to see how much damage is. I will most likely call my insurance company and report it. I am fine but annoyed that it happened. The county officers were fantastic and helpful.
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Laurie, glad you are okay.
    Today turned out better than I thought it would. For some reason, I had a little mini-binge with the chocolate chip cookies. I hope I'm over it! I'm under calories, even room for a bedtime snack, and walked a little more than 7 miles today.
    I'm so excited for those of you who are losing, and those who have identified a problem. I can claim neither. I'm not losing and I honestly can't see the problem. I have ordered the cute red food scale that Karen linked me to. Maybe that will help.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @kaye--I hope the new scale helps. Mine helped immensely when I first bought it, though I just had a "what have you done for me lately?" talk with mine as I weighed out my protein for lunch tomorrow. :grumble:

@laurie--what jerk to have driven off like that! :mad: At least you weren't hurt and glad the damage to your car is minimal.

@teresa--hope you get to take some of those shirts on vacation! :wink:

@tammy--yay for the hubs coming home; I know you've missed him with the extra time he's put in.

@nikon--awesome loss!! Keep going!!:drinker:

@jelkin--welcome back! That's great that you are going to the gym now. You'll survive--just take it slow. :drinker:

@tom--my favorite decade was the '90s, but the '70s are a close second--I was just a little kid, but have many fond memories of wood-paneled station wagons, bell-bottoms, and (apparently) cocktails. :laugh:

@katrena--if you have orthotics custom-made, you can get the athletic type or the dress type. I have the dress type which fit most of my work shoes. I don't think they would fit well in very narrow dressy pumps, but I never wear those for more than a few hours at a special event. I tend to wear low-heeled loafer style shoes or mary janes for work. I had a pair of athletic orthotics, but they were unneccessary b/c my running shoes have enough arch support already.

@tina--don't know why I was thinking you had two little girls, but now I remember it's just the one. Hope she is enjoying kindergarten. My 2 1/2 year old niece started pre-school this summer and every morning told mom and dad, "I don't want to go to school." I told them to get used to 16 more years of that. :tongue: After a couple of weeks she adjusted and goes willingly now. :smile:

Will update goals tomorrow. Now I need to go watch Dexter. Goodnight all! :yawn:
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Katrena: Best of luck with that job! Yes, my life is on average a hoot. I find pizzas are fine as long as I go for thin-crust Neopolitan style or, even better, make my own. Brownies, though, I can't really have in the house. Luckily hubby & kids eat them up pretty fast.

Tom: Can't wait for Peppermint Patty day...

CandyGirl: welcome! I don't think surgery is 'the easy way out' -- the people I've known who've had it done find their own road is still long and hard -- and with the additional risk of complications. I think the path we're on here is the easier one, really. Good luck -- you might want to get a tracker, because even if the path is long, it at least shows where we're going.

Jelkins2000: welcome! Hope the gym went well.

Tammy: it's so good to see you posting when you do! You don't need to fret about not posting more. There'll be another summer, and ten pounds isn't a lot. I hope you have a lovely time while your husband is at home.

Marsha: you are the Peppermint Patty Queen.

Laurie: that's so annoying! You should definitely have taken that photo first. Glad you and the car are both ok.

Kaye: It's not a 'mini-binge' if you stick within your calories! It's a carefully planned and appropriate treat. Are you very near target now? When people just have a few pounds to lose, they often have to do all sorts of things to mix it up (including weights). Scales work best if you use them for *everything*. At least for a couple of weeks while you work out what's going on.

September logging/checking thread -- 12/16. I was slightly up yesterday but within my 100-calorie wiggle zone, and I had some calories in the bank so I think all is well. Everything is much easier this week! I guess I'm getting used to having a bit less food. Plus I'm cooking properly and that always makes it much better.

Tuesday goals: today I am going to tidy up the living room and then I'm going to do half an hour of dance mat to hit my exercise target for the day.

Hope you're all having a brilliant Tuesday!

-- Alison
  • soosun
    soosun Posts: 128
    Options
    Yesterday was a great food day as i stayed under my calorie limit, which has been a rare thing being away from home.
    Also walked yesterday and that was beautiful.
    Today I start my Squat 28 Day Challenge. I have never completed a real challenge before so it will be a novel experience, so I guess that is my goal. To be doing the challenge every day.
    Doing the gym today with my Silver Sneakers class.

I have high bloodpressure and have been on meds for 15 years. For the last six years I have been in pain from knee injury but had surgery last November to replace the knee; and am finallly pretty much pain free. Doing exercise to help with core strength and balance. As my pain has receeded during the last few months my blood pressure has been dropping such that every day I am in the 90/60 reange. Along with that has come FATIGUE at every turn. Just had complete physical and I am in great shape and health according to all the tests dr did. He suggested I halve my medicaton and see if my bp will go up a bit. So as of Saturday I have been halving my meds on a daily basis and tracking my bp and pulse twice a day. It is barely creeping up and was down today,
    so I am excited to see if the med reduction will allow it to rise such that I don't feel so tired as there doesn't seem to be any other reason for such fatigue. I walk around inhaling deeply alot and stop and rest while walking. Why am I sharing, it makes me nervous to not understand why my body is acting so goofy.

So my goals are to
    Complete Challenge
    Stick to eatiang plan
    Go to gym
    Chart my meds and bp daily to see if a pattern emerges over a 30 day charting

Thanks for listening.
    Soosun

Just did day 1 of Challenge and I did it. Winded and fatigued but isn't that what exercise does. haha
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning everybody.

Teresa- Hope your shirts enjoy the vacation. :laugh:

Laurie- Hope that rearender gets their karma quickly and things work out for you.:flowerforyou:

Happy NATIONAL STEP FAMILY DAY
    Founded by Christy Borgeld in 1997, National Step Family Day is observed annually on September 16th.
    In the USA, over 30% of the under 18 population live in a step family environment. Step parenting has been proven to be very successful with patience and over time.
    More information on step families can be found at

http://www.winningstepfamilies.com/

“A strong positive attitude will create more miracles than any wonder drug.” ~Patricia Neal

Tom
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Weigh in day - DOWN ANOTHER 4 POUNDS!!! :bigsmile: I want to shout from the rooftops, I have had a loss every week but one since June 1. I feel so good today. I wanted to order take out for lunch but stuck with my planned soup.

Thanks to all for your open hearted sharing. It truly helps me get through my day.

Tom - The Patricia Neal quote is so where I am today.

Soosun - Blood pressure regulation is really an art. Keep taking care of yourself. Good luck on the Squats.

Love to all,
    Lori
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Lori: Yippee! Congrats on your loss and your consistency! :flowerforyou:
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Stopping in to say Hi- Having a hard time keeping up with work, mfp , school and life. Scale hasn't moved in about a month feeling a little discouraged but I only have me to blame because my eating hasn't been all that good either. It is hard cooking for someone who needs to lose weigh along with someone who has to gain weight. Hard balance to do and I am trying but not my best try yet.
    I will try harder to keep up on posting and reading posts being I have been lacking some.