Should People Be Allowed To Smoke In Public ?

Options

Replies

• Swaggs51
    Swaggs51 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I hate smoking. I hate the smell, the taste, the affects. So I'm going to say no.

does that mean I can ban certain perfumes I dont like? i like this open trade

perfumes don't kill people.

Show me the research to back this up.... I would argue a lung full of perfume is MUCH worse on your body then a lung full of smoke.

You can't be serious. I can fill you up with pages of COPD research, if you'd like but it's really unnecessary. Seriously, it's the THIRD LARGEST KILLER in the US right now, and will move to second within a few years. And is almost exclusively caused by cigarette smoke. And you want to try to claim perfume could be as bad? C'mon, now.

Please show me your stats , since you like throwing them out there... From the CDC you will not get any that are not from 2011, it takes them over 3 years to get any stats done.... Cancer is the # 2 cause of deaths, in which Lung Cancer made up less than 1/3 of cancer deaths with 156,953. Now about 28,000 of those were to Non smokers in which approximately 20,000 were from Radon and between 3-4,000 possibly from second hand smoke contact.... So there are the most recent stats from 2011 from the CDC... Refined sugar and obesity are far greater issues than smoking and if you want to talk about the second hand smoke stats and put it in perspective over over 3,330 deaths occurred in the same year 2011 by distracted drivers, with the #1 distraction cell phones and Texting, and those numbers are going up... So if your argument is that it kills any more than other things we come across in everyday life YOU ARE WRONG! ... I am not am not a Smoker, do not like it , and have dated one woman who was and broke up because I could not stand kissing her with smoker breath, but I am not about people right to choose being restricted by those who do not partake or agree with whatever the activity, including walking away from things they do not like.

here is the last link to the CDC, and it is pretty easy to look up the rest , so knock yourself out .... Did not see any thing on perfume killing but was not looking for that as this was to show how people exaggerate when talking stats...

http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/distracted_driving/

CVS stopped selling cigarettes in all of their nation wide stores. This makes me happy.

but they are going to sell marijuana in their pharmacy... they wont sell tobacco leaf aka cigars but they will sell that hypocrisy at its best

Marijuana isn't deadly, doesn't cause cancer, and actually has health benefits... soooo...

didnt dispute that. just the hypicracy. BTW studies have been done to show the positive effects of smoking tobacco as well. One of which is reduced stress levels a primary component of heart disease

that is completely inaccurate. The negative effect of cigarette smoke on blood pressure, hardening of the arteries, oxygen deprivation and damage to the lungs, far outweighs any potential mental perceived benefit gained from smoking.

#1 never ever said cigarettes

#2 . Cigars have been proven to assist with mental health benefits and stress
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/campaign/tips/diseases/copd.html

from the article: COPD—the number 3 killer in the nation—is almost always caused by smoking.
    However, as many as one out of six people with COPD never smoked. Avoiding secondhand smoke is also critical.

Well I go by the actual Mortality and since Cancer is bulked as one and Lower respiratory diseases are # 3 I can see how you may make that argument though COPD ( while the #1 and yes most often cause by smoking) is not the only one that kills... So again I prefer to go by the hard Data and not general Data that can be written to spin things however you choose... Fact remains that we all Know smoking is bad, as is having an unhealthy diet, but people should be able to choose...and that includes walking away !

Point being that cancer has many, many different causes, and is dropping in incidences. It's also becoming more curable. COPD is increasing in incidnences and is incurable. It's also also completely preventable. By avoiding cigarettes.

COPD is not preventable by just avoiding cigarettes... here you go

"In the United States, the most common irritant that causes COPD is cigarette smoke. Pipe, cigar, and other types of tobacco smoke also can cause COPD, especially if the smoke is inhaled.

Breathing in secondhand smoke, air pollution, or chemical fumes or dust from the environment or workplace also can contribute to COPD. (Secondhand smoke is smoke in the air from other people smoking.)"

Cigarette smoke is up-sold as the primary so that people like you ignore all the other reasons...Remember My Mom is a Non Smoker.... every study you find will say it increases your chances of but will not give a definitive of it being the sole cause of anything as all illness it is associated with have other external factors...

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/copd/causes.html

If you can eliminate the #1 cause of the 3rd largest killer in the United States, why wouldn't you?
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I hate smoking. I hate the smell, the taste, the affects. So I'm going to say no.

Show me the research to back this up.... I would argue a lung full of perfume is MUCH worse on your body then a lung full of smoke.

You can't be serious. I can fill you up with pages of COPD research, if you'd like but it's really unnecessary. Seriously, it's the THIRD LARGEST KILLER in the US right now, and will move to second within a few years. And is almost exclusively caused by cigarette smoke. And you want to try to claim perfume could be as bad? C'mon, now.

Please show me your stats , since you like throwing them out there... From the CDC you will not get any that are not from 2011, it takes them over 3 years to get any stats done.... Cancer is the # 2 cause of deaths, in which Lung Cancer made up less than 1/3 of cancer deaths with 156,953. Now about 28,000 of those were to Non smokers in which approximately 20,000 were from Radon and between 3-4,000 possibly from second hand smoke contact.... So there are the most recent stats from 2011 from the CDC... Refined sugar and obesity are far greater issues than smoking and if you want to talk about the second hand smoke stats and put it in perspective over over 3,330 deaths occurred in the same year 2011 by distracted drivers, with the #1 distraction cell phones and Texting, and those numbers are going up... So if your argument is that it kills any more than other things we come across in everyday life YOU ARE WRONG! ... I am not am not a Smoker, do not like it , and have dated one woman who was and broke up because I could not stand kissing her with smoker breath, but I am not about people right to choose being restricted by those who do not partake or agree with whatever the activity, including walking away from things they do not like.

here is the last link to the CDC, and it is pretty easy to look up the rest , so knock yourself out .... Did not see any thing on perfume killing but was not looking for that as this was to show how people exaggerate when talking stats...

CVS stopped selling cigarettes in all of their nation wide stores. This makes me happy.

but they are going to sell marijuana in their pharmacy... they wont sell tobacco leaf aka cigars but they will sell that hypocrisy at its best

Marijuana isn't deadly, doesn't cause cancer, and actually has health benefits... soooo...

didnt dispute that. just the hypicracy. BTW studies have been done to show the positive effects of smoking tobacco as well. One of which is reduced stress levels a primary component of heart disease

that is completely inaccurate. The negative effect of cigarette smoke on blood pressure, hardening of the arteries, oxygen deprivation and damage to the lungs, far outweighs any potential mental perceived benefit gained from smoking.

Yeah, this looks like a good idea.....
    http://quitsmoking.about.com/od/cigarspipesandsmokeless/a/cigarfacts.htm
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I dislike the smell of cigarettes and cigars...intensely. Still I don't support bans. Tobacco products are sold legally in this country. If you choose to smoke outside..open air, and it bothers me...I'll move. As far as private owned businesses...I say leave it up to the business owners.

In short...just because I don't like something...well that's not justification for me to infringe on the rights of others.
  • Swaggs51
    Swaggs51 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

Yeah, this looks like a good idea.....
    http://quitsmoking.about.com/od/cigarspipesandsmokeless/a/cigarfacts.htm

Its quite enjoyable. you should try it and learn all about it. Such a rich history

DO tell what activites do you like would you not want us to ban?
  • cmpnaz
    cmpnaz Posts: 190
    Options

from the article: COPD—the number 3 killer in the nation—is almost always caused by smoking.
    However, as many as one out of six people with COPD never smoked. Avoiding secondhand smoke is also critical.

Well I go by the actual Mortality and since Cancer is bulked as one and Lower respiratory diseases are # 3 I can see how you may make that argument though COPD ( while the #1 and yes most often cause by smoking) is not the only one that kills... So again I prefer to go by the hard Data and not general Data that can be written to spin things however you choose... Fact remains that we all Know smoking is bad, as is having an unhealthy diet, but people should be able to choose...and that includes walking away !

Point being that cancer has many, many different causes, and is dropping in incidences. It's also becoming more curable. COPD is increasing in incidnences and is incurable. It's also also completely preventable. By avoiding cigarettes.

"In the United States, the most common irritant that causes COPD is cigarette smoke. Pipe, cigar, and other types of tobacco smoke also can cause COPD, especially if the smoke is inhaled.

Breathing in secondhand smoke, air pollution, or chemical fumes or dust from the environment or workplace also can contribute to COPD. (Secondhand smoke is smoke in the air from other people smoking.)"

Cigarette smoke is up-sold as the primary so that people like you ignore all the other reasons...Remember My Mom is a Non Smoker.... every study you find will say it increases your chances of but will not give a definitive of it being the sole cause of anything as all illness it is associated with have other external factors...

If you can eliminate the #1 cause of the 3rd largest killer in the United States, why wouldn't you?

If you can outlaw the things that make most people obese , why wouldn't you ... Again My mom is on a Vent right now hanging on to life she has been on one for 8 weeks in a medically induced coma for 2 of them , Smoking is not the cause of her COPD .. and as I said you will not find any ailment that anyone will tell you is a 100% definitively caused by smoking, are the chances higher sure , but so are the chances higher that J-walking across rush hour traffic is increasing your odds of being hit and dying... Sorry I may not agree with Smoking but I do hate people thinking they have the right to limit others ..

Here you go for politically incorrect ... Being Homosexual was stated by the CDC to increasing the chances of getting HIV/AIDS so if sticking to your train of thought, it should be banned too ... COME ON .... Really? Here is a novel idea, worry about yourself and your choices, and let those who want to take more chances than you or I Roll the dice ...
  • mccindy72
    Options

If you can outlaw the things that make most people obese , why wouldn't you ... Again My mom is on a Vent right now hanging on to life she has been on one for 8 weeks in a medically induced coma for 2 of them , Smoking is not the cause of her COPD .. and as I said you will not find any ailment that anyone will tell you is a 100% definitively caused by smoking, are the chances higher sure , but so are the chances higher that J-walking across rush hour traffic is increasing your odds of being hit and dying... Sorry I may not agree with Smoking but I do hate people thinking they have the right to limit others ..

Here you go for politically incorrect ... Being Homosexual was stated by the CDC to increasing the chances of getting HIV/AIDS so if sticking to your train of thought, it should be banned too ... COME ON .... Really? Here is a novel idea, worry about yourself and your choices, and let those who want to take more chances than you or I Roll the dice ...

I'm very sorry to hear about your mother. As a respiratory therapist, I cared for many people just like her. Watching people die of COPD hasmade me hate the disease like no other, and to know how preventable it is makes me campaign to do what I can to end it.

As far as the second part of your argument, it's invalid. Smoking is a choice. Being homosexual is not.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, it should be up to the establishment to choose if their place is smoking or non-smoking. People can vote with their dollar. I don't see how the government can tell people what they can or can't do (within reason) in a building / business they own. Sounds like a little too much government involvement with businesses.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    In your own home/business do whatever you want. But the minute I have to smell it, we have a problem. I hate it, and it makes me sick.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    In my opinion, it should be up to the establishment to choose if their place is smoking or non-smoking. People can vote with their dollar. I don't see how the government can tell people what they can or can't do (within reason) in a building / business they own. Sounds like a little too much government involvement with businesses.

Because, via Medicare, the government reimburses all hospitals for medical bills incurred by uninsured patients. This racks up in the billions each year for patients such as diabetics, cancer patients, COPD patients, etc. As long as the government has to pay for it, the government is going to have a say in whether you can do it.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    I dislike the smell of cigarettes and cigars...intensely. Still I don't support bans. Tobacco products are sold legally in this country. If you choose to smoke outside..open air, and it bothers me...I'll move. As far as private owned businesses...I say leave it up to the business owners.

In short...just because I don't like something...well that's not justification for me to infringe on the rights of others.

Thank you. It's nice to know some people still feel this way.

I am going to echo this sentiment. People bug the **** out of me all of the time, but I don't legislate against: not being able to handle your child in public (they can smell bad); proper use of turn signals; not smelling / looking / acting like an *kitten* in public; car exhaust stinking; you biking in my lane when you don't use signals, obey stop signs / traffic signals, or pedal the speed limit; people killing themselves with other lifestyle choices (especially health / fitness related); etc. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean it needs to be outlawed.

It's like legislating against people leaving the toilet seat up. Sorry it bothers you. You can deal with it and, in a matter of moments, it will no longer bother you. As people have said, if it's that big of a deal, walk away from it or make choices to avoid it. I remember the days when people could smoke in restaurants and bowling alleys, and we all made it out alive. Hell, to this day, I think it's ridiculous that people CAN'T smoke in bowling alleys or bars. Bowling alleys seriously just don't smell the same...
  • mccindy72
    Options

Thank you. It's nice to know some people still feel this way.

I am going to echo this sentiment. People bug the **** out of me all of the time, but I don't legislate against: not being able to handle your child in public (they can smell bad); proper use of turn signals; not smelling / looking / acting like an *kitten* in public; car exhaust stinking; you biking in my lane when you don't use signals, obey stop signs / traffic signals, or pedal the speed limit; people killing themselves with other lifestyle choices (especially health / fitness related); etc. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean it needs to be outlawed.

It's like legislating against people leaving the toilet seat up. Sorry it bothers you. You can deal with it and, in a matter of moments, it will no longer bother you. As people have said, if it's that big of a deal, walk away from it or make choices to avoid it. I remember the days when people could smoke in restaurants and bowling alleys, and we all made it out alive. Hell, to this day, I think it's ridiculous that people CAN'T smoke in bowling alleys or bars. Bowling alleys seriously just don't smell the same...

Many of them didn't make it out alive. They're dying of COPD, right now. I've watched them doing it.
  • cmpnaz
    cmpnaz Posts: 190
    Options
    @ mccindy

If you are a respiratory therapist as are several of my friends then you are negating to also speak of the studies and in the increased number of COPD and other respiratory illnesses that are increasing with the growing obesity issues in the world and this country... You want to put smoking as the #1 reason and from the doctors I have spoken too as well as my friends in the field it is not so definitive... I would be willing to bet that 10 years form now , your argument will be void and Obesity will become the #1 factor in such conditions, which is the case with my mother...

for your reading enjoyment
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1435949/
    A 2006 article that can help explain, that while as you pointed out; the U.S. numbers of smokers has been decreasing and make up only about 20% of the population, That COPD continues to be on the rise !!!!
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I don't think they should be allowed to smoke in front of business establishments. There is nothing worse than walking through a fog of smoke when I'm going into a restaurant, grocery store, mall, etc. If I owned one of those establishments I would make it policy that there is to be absolutely NO smoking on the premises. I used to work at a company where the smoking area was right outside one of the doors. God forbid you wanted to go outside, especially if it was raining. All the smokers would line up with their backs against the door and give you the stink eye because you had the audacity to open the door to get out. I was actually very happy when I moved to another department and parked in a different spot because it meant I didn't have to deal with that any longer.

I also think that there shouldn't be smoking allowed on the patio's of restaurants that have outdoor seating. I understand the smoking ban in restaurants and bars -- a ban which I absolutely think is the greatest thing that ever was put into law -- and I think it should extend to the patio. It is, after all, part of the restaurant.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    walk away from it or make choices to avoid it

So I shouldn't be able to walk into a store without having to go through a fog of smoke? I should just sit in my house and avoid going out all together because that's the only choice available to me.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options

Because, via Medicare, the government reimburses all hospitals for medical bills incurred by uninsured patients. This racks up in the billions each year for patients such as diabetics, cancer patients, COPD patients, etc. As long as the government has to pay for it, the government is going to have a say in whether you can do it.

Then why be selective, government? If they have to cover diabetics, cancer patients, people with heart disease, why isn't there an incentive for staying in shape, within a certain BMI range, under a certain weight, at a certain level of physical fitness and eating whatever the government says is "real" food? I think my problem is that they're picking and choosing which vices to enforce. Let's be real for a second: alcohol. We won't restrict alcohol? We will restrict marijuana and prostitution. And cigarettes. But alcohol doesn't cause in harm? Doesn't cause people to wind up in hospitals? Doesn't cause a slew of other problems?

Alcohol and obesity account for plenty of our nation being in the hospital with the taxpayer / government covering their costs.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    walk away from it or make choices to avoid it

So I shouldn't be able to walk into a store without having to go through a fog of smoke? I should just sit in my house and avoid going out all together because that's the only choice available to me.

This is assuming that people are following the 50 ft rule. I am assuming it for this conversation. As I've said earlier, there are irresponsible smokers who do this. I'm not agreeing with that behavior. I'm still asking smokers to follow the rules. You shouldn't have to walk through that to get to an establishment. Maybe the establishment could help enforce? Especially if they cared?
  • mccindy72
    Options
    @ mccindy

If you are a respiratory therapist as are several of my friends then you are negating to also speak of the studies and in the increased number of COPD and other respiratory illnesses that are increasing with the growing obesity issues in the world and this country... You want to put smoking as the #1 reason and from the doctors I have spoken too as well as my friends in the field it is not so definitive... I would be willing to bet that 10 years form now , your argument will be void and Obesity will become the #1 factor in such conditions, which is the case with my mother...

for your reading enjoyment
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1435949/
    A 2006 article that can help explain, that while as you pointed out; the U.S. numbers of smokers has been decreasing and make up only about 20% of the population, That COPD continues to be on the rise !!!!

1. Obesity causes restriction in a person's breathing, not obstruction. The O in COPD stands for Obstruction.
    2. The rise in COPD numbers is caused by the number of Baby Boomers reaching retirement age - a large number of them smoked, and they and their family members (victims of secondhand smoke) are the ones with the disease, as well as the public who was exposed in restaurants, bowling alleys and bars. The number should slowly drop eventually as the current generation ages.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Then why be selective, government? If they have to cover diabetics, cancer patients, people with heart disease, why isn't there an incentive for staying in shape, within a certain BMI range, under a certain weight, at a certain level of physical fitness and eating whatever the government says is "real" food? I think my problem is that they're picking and choosing which vices to enforce. Let's be real for a second: alcohol. We won't restrict alcohol? We will restrict marijuana and prostitution. And cigarettes. But alcohol doesn't cause in harm? Doesn't cause people to wind up in hospitals? Doesn't cause a slew of other problems?

Alcohol and obesity account for plenty of our nation being in the hospital with the taxpayer / government covering their costs.

It's already happening, with increasing tax levies on alcohol. Most insurance companies are offering two different rates, with the lower rate offered to those people with a BMI and cholesterol level within acceptable ranges, and those who don't smoke.