Should People Be Allowed To Smoke In Public ?

Options

Replies

• Tammy_1971
    Tammy_1971 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    smoking should be illegal...period

And then the government should ban fast food and mandate fat people to work out.

THIS... lol
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    yes.
  • cmpnaz
    cmpnaz Posts: 190
    Options
    Luckily for everyone, smoking tobacco is on the decline and continues to be on the decline. Hopefully, the decline continues and once the smokers die off, no one will have to deal with it.

But then what will happen to the Government with all the lost tax revenue, and what will be the next industry fighting All the class action lawsuits which will of course lead to Higher Taxes making them the next CASH COW for our ridiculously over sized Government!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Luckily for everyone, smoking tobacco is on the decline and continues to be on the decline. Hopefully, the decline continues and once the smokers die off, no one will have to deal with it.

But then what will happen to the Government with all the lost tax revenue, and what will be the next industry fighting All the class action lawsuits which will of course lead to Higher Taxes making them the next CASH COW for our ridiculously over sized Government!

No idea, and don't really care.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    c6bme.jpg
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm glad about our law that forbids smoking in bars, clubs, and restaurants these days. It works perfectly for those of us, who don't smoke and don't want to inhale it passively. The smokers have their spots outside next to the entrance.

ETA
    I do wish people would clean up their cigarette butts, though, rather than just throw them all over and forcing tax payers to pay someone to clean up after their lazy *kitten*.

When you say "forcing tax payers" are you referring to the parking lot attendant paid by the company they work for, or the prisoners who are working road crews picking up trash who would just be sitting in a cell mooching off tax payer money anyway? Or could you be referring to street sweepers who would be out street sweeping regardless if there were cigarette butts on the ground or not?

I'm confused as to how anyone is "forcing tax payers" to pay specifically for someone to go out and ignore all other forms of trash and debris (regardless if someone tossed it on the ground or if wind and/or water has moved it from one location to another) and solely focus on cigarette butts.
    I recently watched a cleaning person from the bus window whilst she was sweeping up endless amounts of cigarette butts off the ground. How is it hard to understand that the more trash there is, the longer she needs to keep cleaning? Waste of resources where I am. I have no idea of the prison sidetrack you tried to take my point onto, it's not done here.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking almost 17 months ago. I don't have to worry about smokers rights anymore, but after 45 years of smoking, I still tend to have a lot of sympathy for those who haven't quit yet.

So maybe the non-smokers screwed up. They knew they screwed up when they asked for smoking and non-smoking areas, deciding that it didn't really help as much as they thought it might. So they sent smokers outside, but now seem to realize that maybe they want to go outside too.

I'd give non-smokers one more stab at it. If they want new regulations restricting smoking to indoor places only, then I think smokers ought to go along with it. Give the non-smokers the outdoors. Sure, it'll suck in the warmer months, but it'll look like a pretty good trade off come November.

Unless I misunderstood and non-smokers are saying they want the indoors and the outdoors and every other place in between. If that's the case, I'd just tell them to shut up.

It sucks being a non-smoker. My group has a bad attitude.
  • ELMunque
    ELMunque Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I don't think it should be illegal, but I do think people could stand to be more considerate when partaking in a habit such as smoking.

So you feel the people you intentionally try to make feel awful, your words, should be more considerate towards you?

When you say more considerate are you saying that they should shower between smoking just in case you are knocked up and we might meet in an elevator?

I'm not knocked up, but it still affects me. So if you just came in from a smoke break, don't be surprised when I splatter puke all over your shoes. I guess if you don't like those consequences, you can do whatever you want in between smoking to prevent that possibility.

There are a lot of meat smells that will make me harf. However, I can control myself for the few minutes it takes to get to my floor in the elevator. You are being purposefully rude to people because you don't like the way they smell, surely if you are that offended these are people that you are just seeing casually, checking out at a store, or like you said in an elevator, so you can't be curteous for a few seconds, minutes at most? But everyone else should bowed down and respect your nose? You are delusional. I get the second hand smoke, I'm considerate when I'm smoking, but there is not much I can do about the smell that comes in on my clothes, other than load myself down with perfume and that's just as bad. And you know honestly, I don't really care, I don't like the smell either, but it's my habit. I don't like the smell of a lot of things, but I would never intentionally try to hurt someone because I don't like their smell, or their look or anything else that is so petty.

For random encounters, yeah, I can breathe in and out of my mouth for those few seconds.

I have several family members that smoke, and I refuse to go into their house, give them hugs or kisses, or ride in their car. It's not about trying to be hurtful. It's about knowing my limits.

It's their right to smoke and smell like a stale ashtray. If you don't care about that, then fine, don't care.

Shockingly enough, we are in agreement here. I don't like the smell of smoke either, I have tried to quit multiple times, but I cave because I'm not ready, because I still enjoy it. I don't smoke inside of anything because the smell is worse. I have a friend that smokes in her house and me and mine don't go over there because I don't like the way my clothes smell afterwards for me, and I would never expose my kids to such concentrated smoke. I like that in NM we have a ban on smoking in public establishments because of the same reason, I still think it should have been the establishments decision, but I'm enjoying the benefits. But if I'm outside smoking, if there is a designated area for smoking that is where I will be, if not, I don't go where non-smokers are out of respect for your choices. If a stranger were to come up to me and complained that they could smell the smoke, whether I was smoking or not, that is disrespectful. I respect your right to not smoke, I expect the same respect from everyone else. As simple as that.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    Only if they are physically attractive.
  • cmcollins001
    Options
    I'm glad about our law that forbids smoking in bars, clubs, and restaurants these days. It works perfectly for those of us, who don't smoke and don't want to inhale it passively. The smokers have their spots outside next to the entrance.

ETA
    I do wish people would clean up their cigarette butts, though, rather than just throw them all over and forcing tax payers to pay someone to clean up after their lazy *kitten*.

When you say "forcing tax payers" are you referring to the parking lot attendant paid by the company they work for, or the prisoners who are working road crews picking up trash who would just be sitting in a cell mooching off tax payer money anyway? Or could you be referring to street sweepers who would be out street sweeping regardless if there were cigarette butts on the ground or not?

I'm confused as to how anyone is "forcing tax payers" to pay specifically for someone to go out and ignore all other forms of trash and debris (regardless if someone tossed it on the ground or if wind and/or water has moved it from one location to another) and solely focus on cigarette butts.
    I recently watched a cleaning person from the bus window whilst she was sweeping up endless amounts of cigarette butts off the ground. How is it hard to understand that the more trash there is, the longer she needs to keep cleaning? Waste of resources where I am. I have no idea of the prison sidetrack you tried to take my point onto, it's not done here.

I don't disagree with you in regards to smokers walking an extra step or two and throwing their butts in the trash, but where you lost me was the taxpayers money being spent to pick them up. Its as though you are saying that if people would stop throwing butts on the ground, then certain jobs funded by taxpayers would simply cease to exist. That simply isn't ever going to be the case. The resources are going to be the same, 8 hours pay for 8 hours work.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking almost 17 months ago. I don't have to worry about smokers rights anymore, but after 45 years of smoking, I still tend to have a lot of sympathy for those who haven't quit yet.

So maybe the non-smokers screwed up. They knew they screwed up when they asked for smoking and non-smoking areas, deciding that it didn't really help as much as they thought it might. So they sent smokers outside, but now seem to realize that maybe they want to go outside too.

I'd give non-smokers one more stab at it. If they want new regulations restricting smoking to indoor places only, then I think smokers ought to go along with it. Give the non-smokers the outdoors. Sure, it'll suck in the warmer months, but it'll look like a pretty good trade off come November.

Unless I misunderstood and non-smokers are saying they want the indoors and the outdoors and every other place in between. If that's the case, I'd just tell them to shut up.

It sucks being a non-smoker. My group has a bad attitude.

I think I like you!
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Sadly enough, I think a lot of this comes down to attitude.
    I noticed a couple cigar smokers on here who have advocated "smoking courtesy", which is MUCH appreciated. Unfortunately, I personally have never met a considerate smoker, including my former best friend. I think that fact probably leads to the people that someone referred to as "militant" non-smokers (which yes, can be a bit ridiculous in their own way as well, but...). It's a rock and a hard place. Those who do "will be damned if anyone is going to tell them they can't", and those who don't are determined to squelch those who do.
    Yes, we can all get along, but we have to be grown-ups first, and therein lies the rub. I'm not a smoker, but I'd much rather see them have places of their own to gather seperately and enjoy each other than to have someone tell them they "absolutely can't" do something. No one comes to my home and puts a cigarette in my mouth, and I don't go to theirs and try to take it out. Yes, public is different, but again, there are many definitions to "public". So until we come up with a good way for everyone to communicate and compromise (yeah, umm, I'm not holding my breath, but...) hopefully the few people on both sides of the coin that actually try to be courteous to each other will give hope to all.
  • cmcollins001
    Options
    I noticed a couple cigar smokers on here who have advocated "smoking courtesy", which is MUCH appreciated. Unfortunately, I personally have never met a considerate smoker, including my former best friend. I think that fact probably leads to the people that someone referred to as "militant" non-smokers (which yes, can be a bit ridiculous in their own way as well, but...). It's a rock and a hard place. Those who do "will be damned if anyone is going to tell them they can't", and those who don't are determined to squelch those who do.
    Yes, we can all get along, but we have to be grown-ups first, and therein lies the rub. I'm not a smoker, but I'd much rather see them have places of their own to gather seperately and enjoy each other than to have someone tell them they "absolutely can't" do something. No one comes to my home and puts a cigarette in my mouth, and I don't go to theirs and try to take it out. Yes, public is different, but again, there are many definitions to "public". So until we come up with a good way for everyone to communicate and compromise (yeah, umm, I'm not holding my breath, but...) hopefully the few people on both sides of the coin that actually try to be courteous to each other will give hope to all.

You probably won't "meet" a considerate smoker because they are trying to be off the beaten path so they can smoke in peace without bothering others.

Not all smokers have the "I don't care" attitude. Some smokers make an effort to go around a building, walk away from people, not light up next to someone if there's even a hint that it might bother another person. If they are smoking in an area that does have foot traffic, they try to move as far away as possible.

These are the smokers that you won't meet because they are trying to avoid you as much as you are trying to avoid them...and it's not to be rude, it's trying to be as respectful as possible.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    My state already has regulations in place to curb public smoking. All restuarants, workplaces, business(public or private), and taverns are smoke free. I very much believe that public smoking should not be allowed except in specifically designated areas away from everyone else. Unlike other vices like drinking and drugs, smoking affects the people around the person smoking. An alcoholic and drug abuser is only(physically) hurting themselves but a smoker is harming everyone around them. You've never heard of second-hand liver cancer from being around an alcoholic but second-hand smoke can cause lung cancer in non-smokers. I had a co-worker who died due to lung cancer and didn't smoke a day in her life but had relatives that did.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I smoked when I was a teenager and quit successfully. Does it bother me when people around me smoke? Sometimes. Sometimes it makes me crave it, sometimes it makes me ill, but either I shift where I'm standing or their smoke break ends and it's not a big deal. The ONE thing that makes me a little nutty is at outdoor concerts. Yes there's etiquette of blowing smoke up, but I'm taller than most everyone, so it goes right in my face.

At Riot Fest over the weekend we were packed in like sardines and the kid next to me was smoking (alternating weed and normal tobacco) and it made me so ill I had to leave. Which was a bummer because I was soooo close to the stage. But hey, if you wanna smoke go for it, I guess is what I"m trying to say. I can move if it bothers me.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options

ETA

<<<Confirmed non-smoker here. I go to bars (in OK people are still allowed to smoke in them) If the smoke gets to be too much I step outside for a few minutes...or simply leave. My choice.

I do hate seeing cigarette butts thrown on the ground. Wish more establishments provided outdoor ashtrays, then maybe there wouldn't be so many on the ground.

But why should I have to choose to either stay or leave because the smoke is so bad that I can't have a good time? That costs the establishment money. It's just as easy for a smoker to go outside and have their smoke.

I'm glad they passed that law everywhere as well. I no longer have to wake up feeling like I smoked 4 cartons of cigarettes, I don't have to put my clothes in another room when I get home because they reek of smoke, and I don't have to jump in the shower before bed because the stench is in my hair and skin. Not only that but when it's crowded -- be it a club or a bar -- I don't have to play "dodge the lit cigarette" in the hopes that I don't get a hole burned into my clothing or a nice, round burn mark on my skin from someone's cigarette. The law hasn't stopped people from smoking and it certainly hasn't hurt any of the businesses.
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    Options

You probably won't "meet" a considerate smoker because they are trying to be off the beaten path so they can smoke in peace without bothering others.

Not all smokers have the "I don't care" attitude. Some smokers make an effort to go around a building, walk away from people, not light up next to someone if there's even a hint that it might bother another person. If they are smoking in an area that does have foot traffic, they try to move as far away as possible.

These are the smokers that you won't meet because they are trying to avoid you as much as you are trying to avoid them...and it's not to be rude, it's trying to be as respectful as possible.

Then "hello" courteous smoker.... nice to finally "meet" you! :flowerforyou:
  • cmcollins001
    Options

Then "hello" courteous smoker.... nice to finally "meet" you! :flowerforyou:

:drinker: :smokin:
  • ELMunque
    ELMunque Posts: 136 Member
    Options

ETA

<<<Confirmed non-smoker here. I go to bars (in OK people are still allowed to smoke in them) If the smoke gets to be too much I step outside for a few minutes...or simply leave. My choice.

I do hate seeing cigarette butts thrown on the ground. Wish more establishments provided outdoor ashtrays, then maybe there wouldn't be so many on the ground.

But why should I have to choose to either stay or leave because the smoke is so bad that I can't have a good time? That costs the establishment money. It's just as easy for a smoker to go outside and have their smoke.

I'm glad they passed that law everywhere as well. I no longer have to wake up feeling like I smoked 4 cartons of cigarettes, I don't have to put my clothes in another room when I get home because they reek of smoke, and I don't have to jump in the shower before bed because the stench is in my hair and skin. Not only that but when it's crowded -- be it a club or a bar -- I don't have to play "dodge the lit cigarette" in the hopes that I don't get a hole burned into my clothing or a nice, round burn mark on my skin from someone's cigarette. The law hasn't stopped people from smoking and it certainly hasn't hurt any of the businesses.

Because you are in an establishment that allows smoking. Maybe they make better money allowing smoking in their establishment, go someplace else. If enough people start spending their money some place else then maybe they will adjust to serve their customers. I'm a smoker but I Idon't like going places where they smoke inside. So you know, I don't go to those places. Because the world doesn't revolve around me.

ETA: If my amazing husband reads this post... that last line is a lie. :)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Tough call. If I had my preference I would say smoking only in designated areas anywhere, but that really is not realistic. Many smokers are considerate, but there are those who have little regards for anyone else and will light up in an elevator going 70 floors up without a second thought. Same with many things in life.

The questions becomes/is does someone smoking endanger the health or infringe on the non-smokers rights.