WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• strassenkoenigin
    Options
    Patty,
    I just read your post abut being "ELDERLY" after fifty. I do not play a lot of games on the computer, but I like one company which is called Last Day of Work.

They have games where you manage a population to grow food, make scientific progress and build communities.. Once the people hit fifty they become elderly and slow down. That part is so frustrating to me that I try everything to keep the elderlies alive. In one of the games you can eventually rejuvenate them and they become children again.
    I just think fifty is too early to consider somebody elderly. I was also offended when AARP started bombarding me with membership requests at that age.

Well, I guess I have issues with getting older too.

Anne
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today's joke of the day:

:happy:

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you!

:laugh:
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday. Well I finally wrote the letter to my DB. It ended up 10 pages long. I prayed about it and hope it will help, but long as they are drinking and blaming mom for dad's death and worried that they will not get anything. I tried to explain there is nothing to get. Mom is still alive and living at home. So time will tell if he replys. Today is my short day and off at 3, but my nite to voluteer in the Gift shop so will be after 8 when I go home. Found out my co-worker's funeral will be Friday in Bellevue which is about 150 miles from here. Not sure if I will be able to go. I would like to see if they can have an memorial service maybe here at the hospital as she worked here for years and knew alot of people.

Katla--Sending prayers for things to work out with DH and his pain.

Joyce--Don't beat yourself up about the hot dogs. Life is met to be enjoied and sometimes we just have to do that. Long as back on track it will all work out. Just alittle while ago one of the doctors brought us some rolls and I am eating one. Not going to let myself feel bad about it, but will make it part of my lunch.

Lesley--So sorry to hear about Arthur, hope he feels better soon. It not easy when our babys are hurt. But they love us just the same. I know when mine jump on my lap for cuddles it makes me smile.

Jane NNY--congrates on the 98 BS. Sounds like things are going well and getting all the things needed done.

Jenn-Long as you feel comfortable waiting till Oct 6th that is all that matters. And sounds like your doctor and those you talked to know what they are doing.

Tammy welcome back!!

Pat--I am like you as don't watch the news and only look at front page of the paper. Figure if I can't do anything about it, not worth getting myself stressed out about it. I do pray for the world everyday and believe God is in control.

yanniejannie--that camera deal sounds terrible. What is wrong with some people. Glad to know they know who did it and taking care of it.

Sylvia--Sorry to hear about your friend. Prayers and hugs to both of you. That young lady coming in acouple times a week sounds like a good deal. I agree about school pictures and they are not cheap. I know about the selling stuff all the time. We try and help when we can but with 28 grandkids it adds up. And you sure do not get much in the way of pictures for that price.

Well ladies enjoy your day and remember we are not in this alone.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    Good evening my beautiful women! :flowerforyou:

Getting excited about my favourite TV programme tonight. Great British Bake Off. :laugh: Closely followed by a good detective series featuring two fiesty women. :flowerforyou:

Katla - good for you for persevering! Nil carborundum. Don't let the b ...... s grind you down. :laugh:

Lesley UK - awful accident! Sending good wishes to Arthur.:flowerforyou:

Carol - maybe you should ring the doctor and ask for an explanation.

Sylvia - I used to complain about all this kind of thing at my kids' school. Have you consulted with other parents? Maybe you could get together over it. It sounds outrageous to me. If so many parents are on free lunches they shouldn't be subject to that sort of blackmail. :noway: It would be a very political matter over here to charge so much to hard pressed parents. The kind of thing that would get into the local news.
    I object to all kinds of blackmail. I once made a big fuss when a charity put pressure on our school kids to collect things for money in a very competitive way. I canvassed other parents and complained in a big way to the head teacher. I also wrote to the charity. They stopped doing it. Parents have enough pressures, they don't need blackmailing. The ones who feel bad are the kids because they don't understand. It is important to explain clesrly to them why you believe certain things are wrong. I often was the only one speaking up about things I believed were wrong. Exploiting kids is plain wrong. I still am the only person speaking up in a train carriage if people are making a nuisance of themselves on their mobile phones.:noway: :tongue: Is there a Parent - Teacher Association?

Had a weird day. Good news - I bought a root retoucher and did my own roots. It looks completely fine! Will certainly last me through NYC. Never done it before!
    Then I watched a great tv play while I was cooking the mushroom risotto. Must watch the others before they are removed from the net.
    Then I picked up my typing and found I had lost the whole of the last day's typing I had done.:sad: :sad: Looked everywhere and on my stick. So I will just have to do it again. Mystery!:sad:

Bought some nice new padded socks for NYC.:bigsmile:

Love Heather in sunny Hampshire UK.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy hump day!!
    nice day out,gonna get to the 70`s.Love the fall weather.
    HUGS
    jane
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday

Sometimes you just have to smile! As usual I have been helping at Youth Club by doing the register - the kids are Y5-Y7 rising 10 to rising 12 year olds. I love it. Today they made me laugh - they thought I was under 40 years old! Made my day nearly 15 years out! But 40 must seem ancient when you're that young! I bet they think I'm very very ancient now! There's something really special about having young people happy to be in your company and enjoy chatting to you.

There are so many poorly pups on this thread. I do hope that Arthur gets well soon. My mum had a springer called Arthur who was always at the vets for one thing or another! She was convinced that he had 'alf-a-brain'! He was the sweetest gentlest dog - I loved him to bits. I had a beautiful cocker who went blind 2 years before she died of a stroke at aged 16. She coped brilliantly using her claws to tap the ground like a white stick in action - she could tell if she was on the laminate or the quarry tiles so knew exactly when to turn to get into the lounge. Cynthia I do hope that your dog learns to cope as well as my little Tess did, she was an inspiration and stayed the same happy-go-lucky character through it all.

Prayers for those of you and your loved ones who are needing healing and happy dances for the SV and NSVs.

MA in UK
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I did it! I hit my 10,000 steps already. Walked the kids to school, then walked around town for my Liberal Ladies meeting, then walked to buy markers for the meeting to use to make posters, then walked to the school and took the kids home and walked back to the studio. The fitbit went off before I got back. Yippee! I'm back! My friend Betsy was at the studio before I left to go get the kids and she had her big goofy labradoodle with her, so I asked if I could take the dog with me. It was lots of fun. The kids loved her. I don't think I'll do it again though. She slowed me down a lot, watering every blade of grass between the studio and the school.

Tonight hubby is supposed to go to a chemical society meeting at the local italian restaurant. I usually go, just to visit the wives of his co-workers who I'm friendly with, but there is very little there that I can eat, so I think I may beg off. Last time I had pasta with olive oil and garlic with grilled chicken breast, and it was good, but too big a serving. It's not on their menu but I asked and they made it for me. If I was a stronger person I could just eat half and take the rest home.

Well, I'm off. Have a great evening.

Sylvia
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    Hi - my name is Shana and I am 58. I am pretty much at goal but still fighting to lose a few last pounds. I was heavy pretty much all my life and am adjusting (it is a strange adjustment) to no longer being very big. Now I love to run (I had never run, hated running actually, until 3 years ago) and lift weights. I strength train, 2x week with a trainer and once or twice on my own. I run 3-4x a week and am training for my 5th half marathon in mid-October.
    I want to join the group here and share in ideas and motivations with some ladies of my same age group - I am in other fun and motivational groups but they are mostly women the age of my daughter :laugh:
    My biggest challenge right now is getting up and moving during the day other than going for a run or to the gym to workout...the rest of the time I am pretty much sitting. I work from home doing IT technical sales support and sit all day. I have an activity monitor but I still forget to get up and move especially when I am busy or engrossed in a project. What do you all do to get up and get moving during the day other than your normal workouts?
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,651 Member
    Options
    Lesley in UK - how scary for you and your furbaby:cry: - So proud of you for making better choices than you would have before, that is the right way, one small step at a time until it is a real habit.

Jenn – Good job reaching out for all the information and what good feedback, I am glad your stress is down.

Tammy - welcome back –you can do this.

Katla – send good thoughts and a few Levi licks for good measure!

Vicki – good job on writing a letter…. Sometimes I think a well written letter is best as you can go back and verify exactly what was written, and the writer can be sure that it says what they wanted to say.

September goals:
    Stretch 5 minutes 8 times done 2 times
    Walk 100 miles –as off 9/14 69.33 miles….
    Do 4 errands walking (from home or a 15 minute walk from the place the car is parked)
    Do Heather’s abc balance 2 time a week – 1 done

Kim from N. California
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    Hi Shana,

welcome to the group. it sounds like you know what you are doing. I have a little bit the same problem. My favorite activity is biking and I do this for hours but the rest of the day, I catch myself spending too much time sitting. I tried to get into the habit of doing jumping jacks and arm exercises from time to me, especially while I am watching TV. I also do different Yoga poses.

I am very interested how you got yourself into running. I would like to participate in a triathlon and am good at swimming and biking and absolutely lousy at running. Like you did, I hate running. I am trying this month to at least walk several miles every other day, but even that turns out to be difficult for me. I am bored to death while circling the lake in our park and it is still very hot where I live, so I resort to biking, where at least some airstream cools me down. How did you start? I do not want to run on a threadmill though.

Anne
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Thursday and off to doctor's this morning. Cough has improved but rash still hanging around. I think more antibiotics.
    Going to do my boxing this afternoon. Food cals are fine and all healthy food.
    Realised that people on here do NOT understand body building and starvation mode, it IS real and I prefer to be guided by Tom Venuto in this matter and not people who do not or cannot understand the problem. It is NOT caused by anorexia or something silly. OK said my piece and moving on.
    Thinking of leaving and just using food and exercise and NOT commenting to be shouted down as I KNOW what needs to be done

Leslie - is that Bob Harper's Inside Out Body Conditioning DVD that you're referring to?
    Yes I have all Bob's DVDs as well as those by Jillian Michaels and Jeannette Jenkins. I only work out at home with my won weights now, easier

Lesley in Tasmania
  • DMRinehardt
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I joined today and I am looking forward to meeting my weight loss and fitness goals. I don't have much to lose but I find it frustrating getting back into the swing of fitness. I have been less active for years. I was a single mom of 5 for so many years. I met my current husband (who is a father of 4) around 12 years ago and we have been married for the past 6 years. We have an empty nest, but we have the additional challenge of -> our home is in Jacksonville, I work in Boca Raton during the week and he works in South Carolina! A lot of time on the highways each week!

I wanted to join here for accountability. It is too easy to just not do it! I hate the way my clothes fit and I hate the way I look in a bathing suit. I want my pre-menopausal body back!!! LOL
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I have always enjoyed the way we can exchange ideas with each other and ask questions. We have many different goals and paths among us. I am an "abstainer" and through experience found that I need to have very strict guidelines about what I eat.....having just a "taste" of something is deadly for me. I plan my food for the day ahead of time and do not veer from my path "no matter what". Sometimes my plan includes food that I don't usually eat, but it is a choice that I make ahead of time and do so with purpose.

:flowerforyou: We went to lunch at a new Chinese restaurant. with my line dance friends. I gave my egg roll to my husband and offered my rice to one of my friends....she said she'd take it home and either have it as part of her supper or feed it to her chickens.

:bigsmile: a friend came over for a short walk this afternoon:bigsmile: the dogs had to wait until later for their walk

:bigsmile: welcome to the new members.....keep coming back long enough to get to know people and let us get to know you....it might take a few days.

:heart: Barbie from cloudy NW Washington

21,000 steps today----3 minute 40 second plank
    17 uninterrupted days on the plank challenge
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    I am very interested how you got yourself into running. I would like to participate in a triathlon and am good at swimming and biking and absolutely lousy at running. Like you did, I hate running. I am trying this month to at least walk several miles every other day, but even that turns out to be difficult for me. I am bored to death while circling the lake in our park and it is still very hot where I live, so I resort to biking, where at least some airstream cools me down. How did you start? I do not want to run on a threadmill though.

Anne
    Hi Anne -
    It has taken the better part of 3 years to get me to where I am with running. I had been walking a couple of miles several times a week trying to lose weight and being frustrated. My daughter sent me to a friend who is a personal trainer and after working out with him for a while he told me it was 'time to up my game' but in baby steps. He had me walk a bit, a few blocks, then run a block, walk some more and then run a bit more. I did this until it was easier and then added in a little more running... rinse and repeat until I was just running. Then we worked on adding a bit more distance and then over time I got a bit faster. It motivated me too that I started seeing significant drops in my weight :happy: and in inches all over!
    I also have a friend (same age) who is a runner and she signed me up for my 1st half - I was terrified but she stayed with me and I finished! I am by no means fast but I have fun with it. When I started walking I listened to music or podcasts or even books on tape but I really just enjoy being outside. They opened a trail along the river about a mile from my house and I love to run there and see all the birds (also a preserve). And I now have a 2yo puppy who needs to run and get lots of exercise so that helps get me out the door :)
    I don't like and won't run when it is hot - I got up the other morning at 5:30 to run because it has been so hot here. It was over 90 by 8:30! I am really looking forward to some fall weather! I also hate treadmills and avoid them at all costs.
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I have had a good day so far, just over 9,000 steps, did my after lunch walk with stairs, have had my water, well under calories, and did the 40 minute treadmill workout. I ended up running for a total of 5 minutes. I was amazed I could do it; last time I did 30 seconds at a time!

Michele: you are so right….tomatoes right off the vine just can’t be topped!

Barbie: I may have to start watching DWTS to see what all you guys are talking about!

Katla: sending healing and peaceful thoughts your way!

Diane: I’ve seen that plaque too and it makes me smile everytime!

Kim: cleaning like that sure feels good doesn’t it?

Joyce: maybe you should calculate the burn for jumping up and down and figure out how long you have to do it for one smore!

Lesley UK: OMG! Your poor dog! I can’t imagine a dog with a skull fracture. Poor you too! My Benny Beagle is sending get well wishes for your baby.

Patty: your personal training seems to be very popular; you must be really good at it!

Jane: hooray for a great blood sugar!

Jenn: I’ll be sending you good health wishes until your biopsy results come in!

Tammy: welcome back! It’s nice to see you again

Pat: I do miss baking and have been slowly trying to adapt recipes to make them diabetic friendly. This weekend I’m making some pumpkin bread.

Yanniejannie: a camera in the locker room is worrisome; some lady at the Y always is on her laptop (with a built in camera) or her cell phone in the locker and I hate to sound like I’m paranoid, but I always worry she’s using that camera

Sylvia: I’m so sorry about your friend That is one tough diagnosis especially with all his other problems. I have always hated all the stuff schools charge for.

Anne: stay dry!

Vicki: I hope you feel better after writing the letter. I’m sorry about your co-worker. I live close to Bellevue. I’m in a conference until 5 that day or I’d offer to meet you somewhere.

Heather: when is your trip to NYC?

Shana & DMRinehardt: welcome aboard!

Barbie: I think planning ahead is such a great idea and makes for more success

OK gals I’m off to look at grocery ads to price match since tomorrow is grocery shopping. There was something else I wanted to add but can’t think of it! Sheesh! Take care all, Meg from Omaha
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good evening, everyone!

Sylvia............Glad you are feeling better and congrats on the new jeans (!!!!!) and gaining the intern. Hope you enjoyed your meeting. On school pics............I bought them the first couple years then stopped; prices are outrageous. As to the other sell,sell, sell tactics..........I essentially told the school that my daughter would not be used as a shill for the school system and I would be happy to provide her with any necessary items but she would be selling nothing.

Anne........Maybe you could find (or organize) an aquabike competition. I know races that have only 2 of the tri events exist. On running, have you looked at the couch to 5K site?

Vicki...........I think your letter was an excellent caring idea to try to clear the air and keep the peace and hope it has the impact you want.

Heather.........I adore the BBC shows shown here on PBS and the ones I can view on Netflix. I almost expect to get up one of these days and have developed an English accent overnight.

Lesley........I am very sorry you sound so upset. Of course, you are to do what you feel is best for yourself and you are certainly entitled to your beliefs. If you have 5 people, you are going to have 5 different opinions. We differ in many ways, not on just this thread, but all of MFP.............some cut out all sugar, some use artificial sweeteners, some think artificial sweeteners are poison, some believe in small meals or graze, others do the usual three a day, some do smoothies, some say don't drink your calories, some cut out all bread, some cut out all cheese, some have cheat days, others think cheat days are a terrible idea, some think lifting is essential, others don't........... The thing is, everyone is entitled to their polite opinion and this means you, too....... I have honestly found this to be a very supportive thread where newcomers are welcomed and regulars are like old friends.

G'nite all,
    yanniejannie
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,382 Member
    Options
    Did about 55 minutes of yoga today then about 55 minutes of deep water. Tomorrow I'm planning to do the "10 Pounds Down" DVD

So, barbie - did the one you didn't like on DWTS get voted off?

Diane in TX - love that plaque! Loki is an indoor cat. He's been having seizures for a few years, now. I just wish I knew what triggered them. At one point we increased his med, but he was very lethargic. Oh, we've had all sorts of blood work done. We have to have it done at least yearly to check his liver function since he's on phenobarbitol. I guess the good thing is that these seem to be mini-seizures, he doesn't lose control of his bladder. He used to. I guess it's just something that we'll need to keep on top of for the rest of his life. Plus, now they don't seem to last as long as they had.

Kim - glad you're getting to go thru things. It's so nice to get rid of too big clothes, isn't it?

Joyce - maybe they were thinking that they'd put the marshmallow in the microwave (I know there isn't one there) to melt it? I agree with you, the gal who was eliminated on DWTS really didn't show any enthusiam at all. I do feel so bad for her partner, tho.

Lesley - so sorry about Arthur. Hope he heals fast and there aren't any more complications

Yea for me. Last night I got to thinking about Bryan but I didn't indulge at all. Guess I wasn't missing him a whole whole lot, maybe I'm getting used to this?

Supposed to go to lunch with some gals from the neighborhood. I'm going to get the watermelon salad and ask that they put the dressing on the side. For one thing, I'm just afraid that they'd put too much dressing on. When we went to this place last time with the Newcomers I asked for the garden veges and to go light on the sauce. It was still way, way too buttery, at least to me it was. They said they could wash the butter off, but I'm still thinking that the watermelon salad is a better choice. Less of a chance for them to screw it up. Last time I asked for no bun with the creole burger and guess what I got? When I took it off the plate I could tell it had been buttered. Why?????

Patty - I remember when I worked at the Y I would have members from 7 to 70. It's interesting as each has a different set of needs and conditions. I took a class in "Exercise Prescription for Special Populations" which helped me a lot. I like the class online. But to be honest, it's not like I'm learning a whole lot right now. I was going to ask you -- how do we submit our menus to them? Update: I didn't know that it's recommended to have your sodium intake at 1500! I think MFP gives more. Can this be changed?

Tammy - welcome!

Pat - I love baking but really find it enjoyable and challenging to make the recipes lower cal (making substitutions that don't taste like a substitution was made) or else I try to take only recipes that have the nutritional info and the ones that do and have a high calorie count I just immediately eliminate. dh loves his baked goods (brownies, cookies, cake, muffins). He was brought up that you always had something sweet after dinner. You know, it wasn't until we started dating that I learned to have cake after dinner. After dinner was always a piece of fruit for me growing up. You know, I have to laugh. At the beginning of our development you can see when school starts/lets out. There are a line of cars to pick up/drop off the kids. Even on sunny days! Oh, I was the real mean mother who made my kids walk home from the busstop unless it was pouring rain or snowing real hard. Just lightly raining? They won't melt! To this day I'm still viewed as the "mean mom" When I was younger, I remember my father driving me to school but my girlfriend's mother didn't drive so she never picked us up -- we always walked home from school. Honestly, it doesn't sound to me like you were poor

Carol - I always buy the bananas that are overripe (they're cheaper, too), then peel them and freeze them, so I always have bananas ready for baking. It's good that you can take the boot off your foot to drive, I couldn't even do that. When I broke the bone in my foot, Vince had to drive me everywhere. He got to the point where he'd take me to the food store, drop me off at the front, go park and read a book or his email, then when I finished shopping I'd call him on the cell phone.

Sylvia - yea for the 14's! How well I remember what a rip-off I always thought those pictures were. Well, the school does it as a fundraiser, too. And, of course, if you don't get any pictures, you know that you'll be looked down upon <sigh> When my kids were in school and they were selling something as a fundraiser, unless it was something that I really, really wanted, I'd give them a donation. If I were to spend, say $100, the school might get something like 60% of that. However, if I gave them a donation of $100, the school would get 100% of that money. So they were actually coming out ahead, and I wasn't getting something that I really didn't want. I'm so sorry about your friend. Cute joke. Yea for getting in those steps! I'm not real strong, either. I'd rather get less food to start with than having to discipline myself to only eat half because I know that I'd wind up eating the rest. What wasn't on the menu?

Anne - I'm not a runner, either

Exercised, went to Bi-Lo to get the things on sale (really only got one item, but had a raincheck for another item along with coupons that they doubled and I got 10 cents off a gallon of gas), then went to Big Lots to get Vince some more bread, then stopped at Burke outlet, but they don't have any more summer tablecloths, came home and then went to lunch with some of the gals in the neighborhood. I logged 2 cups of watermelon salad but I think this was only 1 cup but it was on a bed of mixed greens so I'm going to leave the 2 cups in there. Have a Chicken Barley Chili in the crockpot. It is supposed to get warmer as the week goes on, but it's cool right now. I even have pants on (boo)

Shana - welcome! You'll get lots of good tips here, that's for sure and lots of ideas.

Leslie - are you thinking of leaving this group???? I certainly hope not. I find your posts so very informative. I really really like how you list the titles of the DVD's you're doing. Personally, I'm not a fan of Jillian, but I just added the Bob Harper DVD to my wish list

DMRinehardt - welcome. Boy, you and your hubby sure do a lot of traveling!!!

Meg - if you start watching DWTS, you won't be disappointed! I just got this visual of Joyce jumping up and down and then having a smore....made me smile. There's a sign at our Y saying that camera phones aren't to be used, but who knows if someone truly listens? I find that planning ahead seems to be working for me most of the time. Admitted, I'm not as disciplined as barbie.

Loki had another mini-seizure tonight. Tomorrow Vince is going to call the vet. He had one Sunday and again today. I hope (but I don't know what else we can do) we don't have to up his med.

Michele in NC
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    Good night? Well, many of you are probably already sleeping

Barbie

I think abstaining works for me too. I have no willpower once I start eating something which I should not eat because it is too high in calories and bad in content. So I put myself also on a very strict eating plan and just do not buy anything tempting anymore. It is little difficult when I have guests, because I want to be a good host, but most do understand.

YannieJannie

Thanks for the tip with couch to 5k. Of course the running part of the Ironman triathlon is over 20 km and that is probably why I am freaking out about the idea to have to run it after swimming over a mile and biking 56 miles.

But I guess I have to take baby steps and start by being able to run one km. I went to the park today and found a sport field where there are no dogs and I am going to try to run there every day.

It is my dream to do half an Ironman that is what your friend Barb did, I do not want to leave the running part out.

Shana

Thank you very much. That sounds doable. I live in Southern Nevada and September is still a very hot month with temperatures in the nineties and hundreds. .

My best wishes to everybody who has medical problems themselves or with loved ones. I am not knowledgeable at all about medical problems in humans or pets and feel not qualified to give any recommendations. I hope everybody gets better soon.

I have been thinking about the school photo problem, Sylvia. Can you not provide the school with pics of the kids. I mean you as an artist are certainly qualified to take good pictures of the kids and submit them for the yearbooks. It is certainly cheaper to have some prints made than pay 28 Dollar a piece. Or you probably do not even print you just give them the digital info.
    Otherwise I completely agree with Heather. All parents should get up in arms and protest. Something is deeply wrong with the school system. We have a very huge school district here and they hire a very expensive superintendent, who makes more than the president of the US and the results are dire. Huge drop out rates, not enough teachers, not enough schools and nobody seems to learn enough. And at the beginning of every school year there are these long stories in the news about teachers who pay for school supplies out of their own pockets, because kids cannot afford it. And substitute teachers who obviously only babysit the kids. All the money they pump into the school system has certainly not the desired results.

Anne in the Mojave desert, still waiting for the rain

The whole commercialization of everything is going to far and making kids sell stuff al the time is annoying.
    I never buy for example cookies from girl scouts, I just give them money. I would not eat the cookies and I do not think it a good idea to give them to somebody else.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Michele, I set my own goals on MFP----calories, protein, fiber, calcium, sodium......I have sodium at 1600
    anything over that and I can expect a higher weight the next morning.

:flowerforyou: Anne, a friend of mine has done "Gray Sheet" Overeaters Anonymous for over 20 years and her husband is diabetic so they eat very strictly including weighing and measuring portions of everything......they tell people that they are welcome to eat at their house but they might not like what they serve:laugh:

:flowerforyou: On the subject of school kids selling stuff to raise money, I am reminded of the T shirt that said, "It will be a great day when our schools have all the money they need, and the Air Force has to hold a bake sale to buy a bomber"

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: My sweet husband bought me a fabulous book to celebrate a special day. The book is "Gratitude & Trust" by Paul Williams and Tracy Jackson. Take a look at it.......I've only read part of it and I love it.:heart::heart:

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: Barbie from rainy NW Washingto
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    My story, a little.
    I have been a body builder since 1980 and I LOVE it. I am guided by Tom Venuto and Jeannette Jenkins.
    I weigh, measure and do body fat every Monday, always have. Then look at how many food calories are in order for me. On Monday my BMR by Katch McCardle was1912, my TDEE was 2964. So reckoning on a 20-30% deficit (advised by TOM) I can eat between 2000 and 2300 as LONG as I train 6 days a week, cardio before breakfast and weight 1 hour after breakfast and walk do after lunch.
    I have been persuaded to stay on here.
    These are MY calculations done in concert with Tom Venuto and I will NOT be swayed to eat under my BMR which is just plain crazy.
    The docto looked at my daily meals sheets and said I eat just right.
    OK DONE
    Lesley in Tasmania