"Clean" vs. "unclean" eating studies?

Options

Replies

• JoannaEngel84
    JoannaEngel84 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If I get my mouth washed out with soap, does that mean I have a 'clean' diet?
  • hippalottame
    Options
    Most of my family is in the medical field. I was a medical assistant and did nutritional counseling in the past. Here's my study. I've got FOUR years of logs, diaries, graph charts, and data to support my claim.
    I started off counted calories but didn't work. Why didn't 3-2=1 anymore?
    Following medical plan and more exercise (lots more) didn't help either.
    Doctors kept giving me same advice and said I SHOULD be losing weight IF I was really following their advice.
    I joined famous groups and lost nothing (they assumed I was cheating too. I wasn't).
    Medical tests I've had done came back normal.
    I began to pull apart and tweak plan after plan--and tracked carbs, proteins, variations, exercises, etc.
    I needed answers because nothing was working for me anymore when same methods worked for other people.
    Turning point: daughter diag with diabetes and PCOS.
    Began following low glycemic index with unprocessed foods.
    (wasn't big changes for me, for instance no more instant oatmeal only steel cut and honey vs nutraweet in my tea)
    BINGO.I am FINALLY losing weight again.
    I SUSPECT that some of us must have some kind of issues with glucose spikes - even though we're not diabetic - since calories get stored like crazy if you spike. Let's start our own study. Try the low glycemic approach with nothing processed for a month and see if the results are as dramatic as mine. I felt better and started losing right away and the ONLY thing I've done differently is go clean. I'm actually having trouble now eating enough calories.
    Oh, and my grand daughter aged 9 has also lost 4 pounds in the past two weeks since we've gone clean.
    A study is only as good as its data and results, don't you think?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    You know, another thing I keep running into in these studies is the Alternate Healthy Eating Index. Over multiple studies, across tens of thousands of subjects, this index seems to be a predictor of chronic disease. Only...I can't seem to find the actual index itself, only references to it in the studies.

The AHEI index study has some method issues (limited self-reported caloric analysis, etc...) but it concludes you should eat vegetables, fruit and fiber.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/76/6/1261.abstract?ijkey=5fc1cbe4f392b69f908541efb4b5507fd84024d4&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

It has nothing about "clean" eating. Variety with a reasonable amount of fresh produce. This can be met in any clean or unclean diet practice.

Thanks! I knew it wasn't related to "clean" eating, but I was having such a hard time finding the actual details of it despite it being repeated in so many different studies. I just want to see the index and see how my current diet compares.

The general conclusions are, to reduce CVD risk :
    consume more of certain foods (eg, fruit, vegetables, and whole grains) and messages aimed at the quality of nutrient sources (eg, consume more unsaturated than saturated or trans fats and eat more white meat than red meat).

Other work since has shown that actual body mass is significantly more important to disease risk than the scoring of the AHAI index.

One may conclude (to reduce disease risk) lose the weight and eat variety including fruit, vegetables, and whole grains. One cannot conclude from these studies don't eat cookies ever.
  • hippalottame
    Options
    Agreed. There should be specifics. Clean = unprocessed

unprocessed as much as humanly possibly considering what we get from the grocery stores.
    Organic if available.
    what else???
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    my personal experience (since this is being counted now).

Eat "clean" and don't "count calories". BAM, weight loss.

Count calories, eat mostly decent foods, not the "organic and not processed" definition. Weight loss.

Go back and track a day I wasn't tracking while "eating clean". Get calorie total conducive to weight loss...

MAGIC!
  • hippalottame
    Options
    Yes! Are you volunteering to set up the test groups? LET"S DO OUR OWN STUDY!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I just came in to compliment OP, and many others in here, because for 8 pages, this has stayed relatively on topic, there seems to be a decent amount of friendly debate going on with some minds open to considering alternate view points, and most have tried to stay focused on science and less on anecdotal evidence. So far, this is one of the most neutral discussions I have ever seen on this much lauded topic - from both sides.

I hope I did not just jinx this thread.

Thanks! We've been very fortunate that some genuinely curious people without an agenda have posted. And there has been a wealth of good information...unfortunately, very little of it actually addresses the original question regarding "clean" eating studies. I think they don't exist.

I think they don't exist for the reasons that have been pointed out throughout this thread. In order to conduct a true scientific study, there needs to be test groups and control groups and the parameters guiding each of those groups need to be clear and consistent. From these 8 pages of relatively logical debate, we still have yet to find a consistent definition of "clean" and "unclean" and therefore, it will be impossible to truly measure the impacts of either style of eating in a scientific experiment.

True, but there are many different definitions and guidelines out there, and it just seems that by now someone would have come along and said "Ok, we're going to use this definition, and these parameters, and test this theory."

I was just reading up on one site's idea of clean food, and it talks about being minimally processed, as close to nature as possible. I had oatmeal for breakfast. It seems to me that oatmeal would not be clean by that definition.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Most of my family is in the medical field. I was a medical assistant and did nutritional counseling in the past. Here's my study. I've got FOUR years of logs, diaries, graph charts, and data to support my claim.
    I started off counted calories but didn't work. Why didn't 3-2=1 anymore?
    Following medical plan and more exercise (lots more) didn't help either.
    Doctors kept giving me same advice and said I SHOULD be losing weight IF I was really following their advice.
    I joined famous groups and lost nothing (they assumed I was cheating too. I wasn't).
    Medical tests I've had done came back normal.
    I began to pull apart and tweak plan after plan--and tracked carbs, proteins, variations, exercises, etc.
    I needed answers because nothing was working for me anymore when same methods worked for other people.
    Turning point: daughter diag with diabetes and PCOS.
    Began following low glycemic index with unprocessed foods.
    (wasn't big changes for me, for instance no more instant oatmeal only steel cut and honey vs nutraweet in my tea)
    BINGO.I am FINALLY losing weight again.
    I SUSPECT that some of us must have some kind of issues with glucose spikes - even though we're not diabetic - since calories get stored like crazy if you spike. Let's start our own study. Try the low glycemic approach with nothing processed for a month and see if the results are as dramatic as mine. I felt better and started losing right away and the ONLY thing I've done differently is go clean. I'm actually having trouble now eating enough calories.
    Oh, and my grand daughter aged 9 has also lost 4 pounds in the past two weeks since we've gone clean.
    A study is only as good as its data and results, don't you think?

A study is only as good as the design, a repeatable methodology and controls put in place. What you did isn't a study but a personal experience of n=1. Glad it worked for you, but that isn't how science works.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

unprocessed as much as humanly possibly considering what we get from the grocery stores.
    Organic if available.
    what else???

So, cooking is processing. Why are there clean recipes? Wouldn't you just eat everything raw? That's as minimally processed as it gets, right?

I guess my confusion stems mostly from the fact that we've already had the whole foods trend, which guides us to purchase fresh produce, whole grains, organic everything, minimally processed, etc. Clean is supposed to be new and different from the whole foods idea. I'm just failing to grasp how so.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    "...raw sugarcane is brimming with enzymes and nutrients. By contrast, refined sugar is devoid of these nutrients and the built-in enzyme systems that exist in raw sugarcane (and other naturally sweet foods, such as fruit). So when you eat a cookie made with refined sugar, your body freaks out. It knows that to properly digest the sugar, it needs these missing nutrients and the corresponding enzymes. Therefore, your body is forced to adapt by pulling stored nutrients (especially calcium) from your bones, tissues, and teeth, just to digest the sugar in the cookie you just ate. This is called leaching."

Unfortunately she does not cite a source for this info, which is why I am bringing it up. I have read and heard that certain vitamins etc don't work as well as when you get them through food. Since nutritional science is still so new, they don't really know conclusively why this is. It may be that the vitamin works most effectively in combination with something else that is present in the whole food. (ie the way calcium and vitamin d work together) This could be a potential argument for how some types of processing can have negative health consequences.

Leaching happens to some degree when other nutrients are devoid in many many applications not just refined sugar but the key to good health is to have a diverse diet that helps maintain as many nutrients as possible to minimize leaching for all those possibilities. It's a good argument though when someone is trying to promote a bias against one nutrient from the hundreds available. I would imagine if someone consumed mostly table sugar they would be in trouble.
    A cookie leeches nutrients from teeth for digestion?
    Do you really believe that?

I don't know what I believe. I am not a nutritionist or a scientist. That's why I brought it up for discussion. There are many things that I don't understand, and many things that haven't even been studied in depth. Quite frankly, it wouldn't really surprise me if there was some truth to this. I googled it and also found medical articles saying that meat can do the same thing. So I guess this is not always a result of the processing.

Do I think my teeth are all going to fall out and I am going to have osteoporosis from an occasional cookie? No. However, the topic of this thread was whether or not clean food has any health advantages over conventional (as some are referring to it "unclean" whatever that means...) and therefor I thought this might be relevant to discuss.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Organic if available.
    what else???

So, cooking is processing. Why are there clean recipes? Wouldn't you just eat everything raw? That's as minimally processed as it gets, right?

I guess my confusion stems mostly from the fact that we've already had the whole foods trend, which guides us to purchase fresh produce, whole grains, organic everything, minimally processed, etc. Clean is supposed to be new and different from the whole foods idea. I'm just failing to grasp how so.

And therein lies one of the other problems in garnering enough interest for scientists to conduct a reputable study. In addition to it being a vague, difficult to define term, it is also a trend which is still relatively new - and either it hasn't piqued enough scientific interest, it doesn't have the backing to fund a study, or there are studies going on but just not published yet.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    "Clean" is a marketing term.
  • glasshalffull713
    Options

Organic if available.
    what else???

Maybe clean = whole foods + organic? I don't think whole foods necessarily means organic. I think it means, rather than buying strawberry yogurt, get actual strawberries and put them on your yogurt with no extra ingredients. Basically eat food as close to it's natural state as possible- whole apples, actual chicken instead of nuggets, actual cooked grains instead of premade crackers cereal or bread...

I really don't know the paleo take on "clean food" though so I can't speak to that.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    I just came in to compliment OP, and many others in here, because for 8 pages, this has stayed relatively on topic, there seems to be a decent amount of friendly debate going on with some minds open to considering alternate view points, and most have tried to stay focused on science and less on anecdotal evidence. So far, this is one of the most neutral discussions I have ever seen on this much lauded topic - from both sides.

I hope I did not just jinx this thread.

Thanks! We've been very fortunate that some genuinely curious people without an agenda have posted. And there has been a wealth of good information...unfortunately, very little of it actually addresses the original question regarding "clean" eating studies. I think they don't exist.

I think they don't exist for the reasons that have been pointed out throughout this thread. In order to conduct a true scientific study, there needs to be test groups and control groups and the parameters guiding each of those groups need to be clear and consistent. From these 8 pages of relatively logical debate, we still have yet to find a consistent definition of "clean" and "unclean" and therefore, it will be impossible to truly measure the impacts of either style of eating in a scientific experiment.

True, but there are many different definitions and guidelines out there, and it just seems that by now someone would have come along and said "Ok, we're going to use this definition, and these parameters, and test this theory."

I was just reading up on one site's idea of clean food, and it talks about being minimally processed, as close to nature as possible. I had oatmeal for breakfast. It seems to me that oatmeal would not be clean by that definition.

If you drink milk directly from the cow it's pretty much unprocessed.
    If you drink pasteurized milk (low fat, etc...) it's processed.

Is yogurt processed? And if so, it's bad? Cheese? Water?
    My baby carrots come washed and are packed in citric acid - should I be worried?

"processed" is almost as random as "clean" in today's world.
  • glasshalffull713
    Options

http://food.oregonstate.edu/learn/sugar.html
    This college text explains the chemistry processes that occur when sugar cane is turned into granulated white sugar.
    This has some diagrams of the molecules also and defines the different kinds of sugar. Perhaps you can compare these to the ones in your book?

The USDA website has nutrition facts for pure cane juice and for refined sugar
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/8616
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/6270

Here's the amounts it shows for cane syrup I've copied the column for the mg per 100g:
    Calcium, Ca 13
    Iron, Fe 3.60
    Magnesium, Mg 10
    Phosphorus, P 8
    Potassium, K 63
    Sodium, Na 58
    Zinc, Zn 0.19
    Vitamin C 0.00
    Thiamin 0.130
    Riboflavin 0.060
    Niacin 0.100

And here's the amounts for granulated sugar:
    Calcium, Ca 1
    Iron, Fe 0.05
    Magnesium, Mg 0
    Phosphorus, P 0
    Potassium, K 2
    Sodium, Na 1
    Zinc, Zn mg 0.01
    Vitamin C, 0.0
    Thiamin 0.000
    Riboflavin 0.019
    Niacin 0.000

I think one thing that is clearly demonstrated from this info, is that not only are chemicals introduced during processing and for preserving purposes, but processing often removes elements that are present in the foods original form. I wonder how this plays out with other processed foods? I know there are studies showing that organic produce is NOT more nutritious than conventional, but perhaps there are comparisons of nutritional values of processed and unprocessed equivalents?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Organic if available.
    what else???

Maybe clean = whole foods + organic? I don't think whole foods necessarily means organic. I think it means, rather than buying strawberry yogurt, get actual strawberries and put them on your yogurt with no extra ingredients. Basically eat food as close to it's natural state as possible- whole apples, actual chicken instead of nuggets, actual cooked grains instead of premade crackers cereal or bread...

I really don't know the paleo take on "clean food" though so I can't speak to that.

Depending on transportation and storage - "fresh" strawberries actually have a higher risk of mold and fungus than frozen ones. Oh and those "organic" strawberries? Ah, suggest you look up methyl bromide, it is still used on organic and regular strawberries in the US. Only in the US btw.
  • glasshalffull713
    Options

My baby carrots come washed and are packed in citric acid - should I be worried?

Good point, not all processing is created equal.

And btw- baby carrots are sometimes treated with chlorine. But don't worry, it's a safe amount approved by the FDA and they rinse it afterwards. No thanks. I'll take my carrots whole.
  • glasshalffull713
    Options

Depending on transportation and storage - "fresh" strawberries actually have a higher risk of mold and fungus than frozen ones. Oh and those "organic" strawberries? Ah, suggest you look up methyl bromide, it is still used on organic and regular strawberries in the US. Only in the US btw.

Ok, sorry my hypothetical example wasn't perfect. Hopefully you were able to understand my point though, of a pre-made food vs. using the actual whole food ingredient.
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Here's one that compared eating processed vs unprocessed food (bread and cheese). The whole food group had a 50% higher energy expenditure. Satiety was the same.

http://www.foodandnutritionresearch.net/index.php/fnr/article/view/5144/5755
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Good point, not all processing is created equal.

And btw- baby carrots are sometimes treated with chlorine. But don't worry, it's a safe amount approved by the FDA and they rinse it afterwards. No thanks. I'll take my carrots whole.

Chlorine is a necessary molecule for life. I have absolutely zero concern for residue on my carrots. Rather that than the E. coli risk I'll take that mild Milton solution wash. It's pretty much standard and absolutely safe. it's a good thing.