In Ketosis, but I didn't intend to be...

Options

Replies

• thecheesybrie
    thecheesybrie Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    you gave us the macro breakdown but haven't said what kind of quantities you're eating.

If you're eating 1200kals a day and doing exercise then you may well be depleting glycogen stores.

We need much more info from you with regards your diet and lifestyle to give a better answer

Hey, thanks for some constructive input. I'm at 1550 kcal/day give or take, with those macros I posted. I eat no grains, but healthy starches like sweet potatoes and root vegetables. Not much fruit, but I don't avoid it. I make sure to load up on glycogen after workouts (like sweet potato stew or arugula potato soup) to make sure I'm not low on glycogen. I'm trying to build muscle, so that would be the last thing I want!
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    If you jump in with the dogmatic "eat more carbs" nonsense, I'll boot you from the thread.
    Eat more carbs.

So there. Now I'm waiting to be booted from the thread... I've never seen it done before, I'm sure it's going to be a neat trick!
  • thecheesybrie
    Options
    I know you have internet because you posted this thread on the INTERNET--I would probably see a doctor

You would be amazed at the kind of things people post... -.-'
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    Oh man, yall are bad.

Ketones are visible oil bodies in the urine. You don't need to test for something you can see. But go ahead and take that pregnancy test for funsies.
    If you are eating enough carbs to stay out of ketosis but have keystones in your urine you need to see a Dr. There may be serous medical issues going on, and prolonging the visit isn't gonna help you get the answers or help you need!

Edit to add you may have a UTI if you see something in your urine. Go see a Dr, maybe your OBGYN?!?
  • thecheesybrie
    Options
    Eat more carbs.

So there. Now I'm waiting to be booted from the thread... I've never seen it done before, I'm sure it's going to be a neat trick!

/facepalm
  • thecheesybrie
    Options
    Oh man, yall are bad.

Ketones are visible oil bodies in the urine. You don't need to test for something you can see. But go ahead and take that pregnancy test for funsies.

You can't see ketones in your pee, sorry.

/he says to a chemist, lol
    I would rather not send a picture. But, there's oil floating around in my pee. If it's not ketones, what, pray tell, would they be?
  • thecheesybrie
    Options
    Oh man, yall are bad.

If you are eating enough carbs to stay out of ketosis but have keystones in your urine you need to see a Dr. There may be serous medical issues going on, and prolonging the visit isn't gonna help you get the answers or help you need!

Edit to add you may have a UTI if you see something in your urine. Go see a Dr, maybe your OBGYN?!?

no, no uti. or anything. I thought I made it pretty clear that I'm HEALTHY and aware of my body. It's ketones, 100% sure of it. I just want to know if 50% fat macros are enough to bump me into ketogenesis, since most people go, like, 90%.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    Oh man, yall are bad.

no, no uti. or anything. I thought I made it pretty clear that I'm HEALTHY and aware of my body. It's ketones, 100% sure of it. I just want to know if 50% fat macros are enough to bump me into ketogenesis, since most people go, like, 90%.
    How do you know it's keystones if you have not tested it? There are many things that can cause changes in your urine. Fat doesn't put you in ketosis, a lack of dietary carbs, or a serous medical issue does that!
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Just for kicks, can you humor us and explain if there is a particular reason you don't want to see a doctor and get some tests done to help you determine the cause? Or, if you're not concerned about health and just the fat macro, how about a nutritionist?

Also, gallbladder issues?
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    The paleo diet is really close to the keto diet and instead of eating more carbs, try upping your proteins. To keep it simple, proteins can be synthesized for glucose. So, instead of burning ketones, you'll burn the glucose from the proteins. Hope this helps! My creds are that I'm a health field major with heavy neurological and microbiology/chemistry background.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I know you have internet because you posted this thread on the INTERNET--I would probably see a doctor

Yeah. *looks at the thread*
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    you gave us the macro breakdown but haven't said what kind of quantities you're eating.

If you're eating 1200kals a day and doing exercise then you may well be depleting glycogen stores.

We need much more info from you with regards your diet and lifestyle to give a better answer

Hey, thanks for some constructive input. I'm at 1550 kcal/day give or take, with those macros I posted. I eat no grains, but healthy starches like sweet potatoes and root vegetables. Not much fruit, but I don't avoid it. I make sure to load up on glycogen after workouts (like sweet potato stew or arugula potato soup) to make sure I'm not low on glycogen. I'm trying to build muscle, so that would be the last thing I want!

You're not building muscle on 1550kcal/day. Those sound like deficit calories, not bulking ones. Also, you really should go see a doctor.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

Yeah. *looks at the thread*

You beat me to it.

Pika and Zach are here. It's a party.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Oh man, yall are bad.

You can't see ketones in your pee, sorry.

/he says to a chemist, lol
    I would rather not send a picture. But, there's oil floating around in my pee. If it's not ketones, what, pray tell, would they be?

Except you can't see it so.....

Awkward_Alert.gif

And it could be a few things...which is why you should go see a doctor.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Yeah, so I'm going to give you some popular advice: See a doctor.

Ketones, even when present in urine, aren't supposed to be visible. Trace amounts of ketones set off urine tests, if it's actually at the point that it's visible you're either a special snowflake who is a) dying or b) it's actually protein you're seeing from serious kidney problems.

While you're assuming the substance in your urine is ketones, you're literally just assuming it. You don't have a medical degree, you don't know what you're talking about, and now is the time to refer to someone who actually does, not the internet.

You very likely could have a serious medical condition or something basic, like a UTI you can blah blah blah about knowing your body all you want, but the reality is that if people with cancer can go years without knowing while it wrecks havoc on their internal organs, you probably aren't wonder woman and could have something going on as well.

Buck up, pay the money (if you're in a country without free health care) and get better.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Go buy some urine strips. I'm currently in ketosis, and have been for about a month minus a couple odd days.
    Get some test strips, cause I certainly cannot see see ketones in my urine.
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    You want answers from fat people who are trying to lose weight. If we had the answers we wouldn't be fat. Our answers are.....see a Doctor.