Likes and dislikes of your gym.

Replies

• SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    -- great equipment
    -- great classes
    -- friendly staff

Dislikes:
    -- too many people talking loudly about nothing while either walking on treadmills or "lifting"
    -- limited hours
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    -Not too busy
    -I pay $50 a year

Dislikes:
    -Weights are constantly out of place
    -Bad air conditioning so it gets hot and stuffy
    -No pool

50 bucks a year? Hot damn. Where you live?

California

Amazing...I did the math and I pay 660 more, PLUS personal training costs, per year. Now I feel sick to my stomach.

Not gonna lie, that's absurdly high. Granted $50 a year is absurdly low, but $710 a year not including personal training?? That's nuts. Also, do you really need a personal trainer? Just a thought.

I live in NYC. So 60 a month for the gym is actually on the lower side. Some people spend over 100 on their memberships so I'm happy with my deal. And at the moment, I do need a personal trainer to help me with heavy weights.
  • Tab122377
    Tab122377 Posts: 80 Member
    likes -
    Inexpensive
    close to home
    not busy in early am

dislike
    weekend hours shorten
    right next to pizza place so work out later
    no classes
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Olympic size swimming pool
    Lots of classes including spinning
    Lots of CV equipment
    Lost of free weights & machines
    Close to home
    Lots of PT's

DISLIKES:

Too many students
    No kettlebell sports instructors
    music isn't loud enough
    Needs to open earlier (0630 but 0600 would be better)
  • May_Rose
    May_Rose Posts: 119 Member
    - free coffee and tea
    - better equipment than 24hour Fitness
    - Open 24 hours with key access
    - 5 minutes from home
    - Friendly owners and members, but not overly so ;)
    - Private bathroom with shower
    - Tanning available, although I don't use it there
    - Ample TV's
    - Less than $25/month

Dislikes:
    - Small and, at times, crowded
    - Climate control is wacky (too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter)
    - Lack of fans
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    I have no complaints for $10 a month.

My gym is cleanly, has ample free weights, and an overall great environment.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    -Not too busy
    -I pay $50 a year

Dislikes:
    -Weights are constantly out of place
    -Bad air conditioning so it gets hot and stuffy
    -No pool

50 bucks a year? Hot damn. Where you live?

California

Amazing...I did the math and I pay 660 more, PLUS personal training costs, per year. Now I feel sick to my stomach.

Not gonna lie, that's absurdly high. Granted $50 a year is absurdly low, but $710 a year not including personal training?? That's nuts. Also, do you really need a personal trainer? Just a thought.

I live in NYC. So 60 a month for the gym is actually on the lower side. Some people spend over 100 on their memberships so I'm happy with my deal. And at the moment, I do need a personal trainer to help me with heavy weights.

Damn, that sucks, well good luck, go get big and strong :flowerforyou:
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Like:
    Giant free weight section with 2 squat racks and 1 cage, 3 benches, 2 incline benches
    They don't have any restrictions on what I do. Wanna drag equipment around? Take off your shoes to deadlift? Wear a hulkamania-style ripped tank top? Go for it.

Dislike:
    Unbelievably busy location. I go at 5 AM, and it's the quietest time to go, but there are still a lot of people there. 6 PM, you may as well forget about it. I don't like having to fight for equipment.
    It is always humid and smells like socks.
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    > In the same building where I work, so I can work-out during lunch.
    > Rarely too busy, so I can get onto equipment without much of a wait.
    > 4 TV's with closed caption.
    > 24 hour pass on my employee badge, so I can bring my teenage son (we aim for times when it is not busy, so he can choose the radio station).
    >1-time fee of $10 for life of my employment.
    >Personal trainer up to 4 times per year for free, or 10 1 hour sessions once per week for $40 (up to 4 people).

Dislikes: have to drive 4 miles to work out on my days off.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member

It's not bad at all, and a trainer is going to be a LOT more expensive. You're talking $59 a month which is nothing. However, a trainer worth their salt is going to be around that, more if they're busy, or have a private gym.

I think my trainer is about $400 a month, and I'm getting a steal of a deal, and my normal gym is $50 a month I think.
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    I go to a Pure Gym in Manchester, England

The price (£19.99 a month with no contract, and you can "pause" your membership if you go away)
    It's very clean
    The staff are all nice and friendly
    They have lots of spiffing new equipment, like sandbags and big heavy tires and other things I haven't yet used
    It's very conveniently located for me (5-minute walk)
    It's open 24/7

Dislikes:

It's cramped. When it's busy you can struggle to find a space where someone isn't already swinging and heaving something heavy around.
    Inconsiderate idiots hogging machines and weights.
    Inconsiderate idiots leavings plates and stuff all over the place (some of them are actually hard for me to lift. I'm not that strong.)
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    A squat rack - the only gym nearby that has one, not even the leisure centre has one
    A sauna
    I get a good deal as an NHS worker
    Lots weights and plenty of different types
    It's right next to Aldi - not sure if this is a good or bad thing, I always end up coming home with the fruit & veg of the week.
    In spite of the morons who leave things lying around, some of the other patrons are really helpful and nice
    Plenty of classes - all day and evening

Dislikes:

There are no small weights (less than 1.25kg) to build up on barbells. Going up 2.5kg a time is hard on the arms.
    Only the one squat rack - but 2 smith cage thingies that are hardly ever used
    Weights are never, ever put back. I have to schlep 25kg plates around to get to the squat rack in the first place, thanks for providing my warm up numbnuts!
    The pool is ok for relaxing and cooling down in, but it's not deep or very cold and after a few laps it's uncomfortably warm if you really want to go for it.
    Yoga classes only take place during office hours
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    The only thing I dislike so far about my gym, is that there isn't a power rack or squat rack... nor is there Pulley system... But they have everything else that one could have a decent workout with.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    - Free pizza ;)

Is your gym a "judgement free zone" and does it look like Barney the dinosaur decorated?

:)

Yes, yes it does. Fortunately I don't go there for the color of the equipment but how well they function! ;)

I also like only having to pay $10/month. I think I'm lucky that this PF caters to a lot of marines so there's plenty of free weights, squat racks etc! I'll take it.
  • AJ_G

It's not bad at all, and a trainer is going to be a LOT more expensive. You're talking $59 a month which is nothing. However, a trainer worth their salt is going to be around that, more if they're busy, or have a private gym.

I think my trainer is about $400 a month, and I'm getting a steal of a deal, and my normal gym is $50 a month I think.

Wow, I guess I'm just not used to that. I don't know anybody who pays more than $30 a month max for a gym membership. Also, personal trainers are a good tool when you're just starting out, and coaches are a good tool if you're competing (body building, athletic competitions, etc), but once you know what you're doing in the gym, you honestly don't need a personal. trainer. The internet is so full of knowledge on lifting programs, nutrition, lifting form, etc that paying a trainer to tell you what you can learn for free is a waste of money in my opinion, but to each their own...
  • AJ_G
    The only thing I dislike so far about my gym, is that there isn't a power rack or squat rack... nor is there Pulley system... But they have everything else that one could have a decent workout with.

That would be a deal breaker for me. Can't do any sort of decent workout without a squat rack...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Wow, I guess I'm just not used to that. I don't know anybody who pays more than $30 a month max for a gym membership. Also, personal trainers are a good tool when you're just starting out, and coaches are a good tool if you're competing (body building, athletic competitions, etc), but once you know what you're doing in the gym, you honestly don't need a personal. trainer. The internet is so full of knowledge on lifting programs, nutrition, lifting form, etc that paying a trainer to tell you what you can learn for free is a waste of money in my opinion, but to each their own...

As time continues, I think we'll see a good upward trend in gym costs. For me, my gym is the Y, which is a great facility around here, and I think my wife and I pay something like $70 for a family membership for her and I, which includes a discount from her job.

My strength coach though, considering what he's done for me over the summer, it makes sense for my goals. I'm actually training for some things, and not going into a gym to flail away. I think trainers are a good tool for a time, and a coach are a must have tool for a few, but by and large, most people just want to do what they want to do and aren't training for anything. So no point in added costs or tools/consultants.

To take your comment though...
    that paying a lawyer to tell you what you can learn for free is a waste of money in my opinion, but to each their own...
    that paying a doctor to tell you what you can learn for free is a waste of money in my opinion, but to each their own...
    that paying an architect to tell you what you can learn for free is a waste of money in my opinion, but to each their own...
    that paying a teacher to tell you what you can learn for free is a waste of money in my opinion, but to each their own...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Lifetime Fitness - the one and only thing I didn't like was that the pool wasn't truly Olympic size. I liked everything else about that place. It was fantastic, the staff was excellent and worth every penny. But I moved.

Planet Fitness - the only thing I liked was that it was close to me. I really hated that place and quit gyms. Wasn't worth $1 to me.

The only way I'd go back to a gym would be for Lifetime Fitness (or similar) to open here.

Now I just use my pool, mostly.
    It's in the basement
    It's the old Nautilus corp world HQ building so all the stuff is top of the line gym stuff, including the treadclimber, that they left us
    It's usually empty
    It has a powerlifting platform and rubber weights I can drop

Dislike:
    Bring your own music..headphones annoy me during a good workout
    no boxes for jumping.
  • Kekekylene
    Kekekylene Posts: 112 Member

Good grief I pay $160/month! lol $150/month for crossfit and i found a regular gym for $10/month so I can throw in some extra cardio. Most of our "standard" gyms are on average $60-$80/month though. Oh how I wish it was $30/month max! :sad: