Over 40s - What do you do to stay in shape?

Options

Replies

• ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Motivation. It's all a head game. Find something you would love to try.

My current goal is to cycle 100 miles in one day (a century ride) in 2015. I love cycling and live in a beautiful area to see by bike.

This past week I am 60 years old (how the hell did that happen?) and I am rapidly improving by
    1) eating properly "you can't out-race your fork"
    2) alternating days of heavy lifting (Stronglifts 5x5) and high intensity interval training (HIIT)
    3) building an iron-clad habit of working out either at the gym or home
    4) stay motivated with an interesting physical goal.
  • shouldice9
    shouldice9 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    61 here! I do Jilian Micheals shred it with weights 5 to 6 times a week. I also started the C25K 7 weeks ago and love it, I now run 25 minutes and walk 60 minutes 5 to 6 days a week. When the weather is good I will also kayak for 45 minutes 4 times a week and play golf. Just be active and do it.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I just run, I like running. I train four times per week, around 25-30 miles per week
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    I pretty much do a little of everything...except run. Every once in a while, I give running a shot, and end up doing something bad to my knees or feet.

The brand Lululemon would classify my as a "sweaty generalist." I love Zumba and kickboxing, Pilates and Barre. I've recently added HIIT to my regime. I've crashed a Cross Fit Box here and there (although I struggle to fit it into my regular schedule well enough to justify the cost of joining). I've been known to pick up some weights now and then. I play tennis a few times a week (I'm on a team). I show up for yoga from time to time. And if I don't do anything else, I at least try to hop on the elliptical machine we have at home for 30-40 minutes and do a few sit-ups and squats each day.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I lift, run a bit, and sorta kinda watch my calories while absolutely covering my protein intake
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I lift, run a bit, and sorta kinda watch my calories while absolutely covering my protein intake

^^this....well, except the running. I only lift (probably averages 3 - 4 times a week).

Oh, and I am 47.
  • VictoriaRosetta
    Options
    Hi. I'll turn 43 in November. I take a 60 min Zumba class four times a week, plus work out with a trainer once a week for an hour, then do my own upper/lower body strength training based on what I learned from him. i also take Zumba toning when I can fit it in and do some running as well, usually on the days I'm going to do strength training.. In the spring and summer, I'm in Triathlon mode, so I'm doing a lot of swimming, biking and running...as well as Zumba (because i LOVE it so much!)

My gym is going to be doing some Barre classes (ballet movements at a bar) in a few weeks so I may try one of those as well. Good luck! My advice: find something that you love to do!!! It'll keep you motivate and moving!
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Lift weights and dance. And sometimes yoga just for fun. Do what you enjoy! :flowerforyou:
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    53 and am glad to say very active. 3 days strength training (fairly heavy I am told just seems normal to me) upper and lower 2 hrs and 2 days 1 hr hard cardio running or hills on treadmill or outside. I competitively ski some and am proud I am beating many in their 20s Good feeling
  • Mindfreak1999
    Options
    Hi
    I am 54 and cycle up to 300km per week, I tend to alternate between cycling on road and on my mountain bike. Cannot believe how much I have turned my life around ????
  • ChrisHoffman72
    ChrisHoffman72 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and try to make it to the gym 3-5 days a week. Usually lift and do a little cardio. Try to watch calories while eating fairly decently. I go through phases, but lately it's been getting harder to be motivated.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting 4-5x/week. Some cardio. I hate cardio and I really should be better at getting more in.

I'm in better shape now than I was in my 20s and 30s.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Lift 3x week if I can get to the gym.
    Walk/run intervals or else elliptical when I can get to the gym.

But also, I take my dog on walks of 1-3 miles. He's an Italian greyhound, so he's a little thing, but he has no problem keeping up with me. Sometimes we jog. I try to do at least one long walk every day, and then perhaps a short walk around the block later. He's 14, so it's just as important for him as it is for me.
  • TXrattlesnake
    Options
    Sex mostly. Sometimes my wife is a participant too.
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    Bump
  • ErniesMom863
    ErniesMom863 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    When I need to shake things up, I join a crossfit for a month or two. I m currently signed up for September and October. It's very intense, community base and lots of fun. It also improves my workouts when I'm going to the gym for solo workouts.
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    bump
  • EvelynR1967
    EvelynR1967 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm 47. Was in a car accident in January and can't do a whole lot anymore, so I swim! 5-6 days a week I get in the pool and move for at least 45 minutes. Great for the body & great for the mind! Good Luck!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'm in love with all the amazing over 40s here :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i'm 47 .. i did naff all exercise for years..was a postman in younger days and that kept me pretty fit, then i got dogs and the constant walks did me well.Now .. i work a 6on 3 off shift pattern on nights .. on my work days i try and make myself jog/walk between 5-8 miles most days .. also add in 3 x a week an hr with dumbbells .. i have various complaints so I'm working up slowly so as no to do too much.. on my 3 days off i jump on my bike and cycle either 6 or 8miles depending on the weather.
    Must say i'm feeling much better for it all and the change in foods is seeing the weight come off slowly but surely .. a couple of months down the line i will look into weight training and try n build up more lean muscle n drop the Body Fat more.
    MFP has opened my eyes to a lot of stuff since joining :)