MFP has really changed

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Hear, hear, OP!!

I am relatively new to the site, but I have not encountered such uncivility since Jr. High School. So many seem to revel in being called mean. They defend their right to be mean and claim they are just "helping" or they were driven to it lesser minds.

I have also noticed Jr. High type "cliques". One person will post something snarky or rude and suddenly a bunch of others start in. Often the same group. I assume these are from their 'friends' list. Because if a group is rude, then it's not really rude, right?

It's so juvenile and silly.

I guess I will have to say this again... this place is unicorns and rainbow glitter compared to the likes of Babycenter, the Knot, and Sodahead... among many others, those are just the places I have been myself... so please... join another forum and then comeback and see how uncivil this place is... Hell, there was a time where even NEOPETS was worse than this place has ever been... yes, a game website.

I am a member of three other forums (all organic farming sites). They are nothng like this. People disagree, sometimes it gets a little heated, but I've never encountered anything like this. I suppose there are moderators on those sites, though I've never known one to have to step in.

I'm not familiar with the sites you mention, but are they geared toward juveniles? .

Don't you think it's kind of mean to be calling people juveniles? Why is it ok for you to throw out insults no no one else?

Who am I insulting?

You called us all juvenile and silly. You actually make it a point to come into every mean people thread and do so.

"Us all"? I suppose if you saw a shoe that fits, then you might interpret it that way. But I singled no one out. I made a general statement about the forums in general. I agree with the OP.

Well I assumed you were referring to the people responding in the cleaning thread. I've asked for specific examples, which you have yet to provide, so I assume you mean everyone.

And, no, the shoe absolutely does not fit. I don't have a mean bone in my body unless provoked. I do love Gifs though because....funny. I have a big funny bone.

You assume incorrectly.

Well then why don't we all be adults here.

If people are going to post about these "mean people" then call them out specifically and let's discuss. Perhaps it's a matter of not understanding where one people is coming from.

You either want the problem or the solution in life. Solutions never happen in generalities.

This forum isn't life and I was not seeking a solution. I don't recall the usernames of those who have been rude in the forums nor would I mention them if I did. I'm not out to try and shame anyone or deal with ridicule from those who feel no shame in being rude.

I was simply agreeing with the OP.

So, let me get this straight.

This forum isn't life, yet you feel so strongly about these mean people that you come into all these threads to call them silly, juvenile and then some. Check.

You don't recall the usernames of those who have been rude but, yet again, you are fired up enough to come here and call them silly and juvenile. Check. Check.

You are not here to shame anyone, yet you come here to call people silly and juvenile and declare "people" rude. Check check check.

When called out on it, you put it back on the OP instead of accepting responsibility for your own posts.

I think I got it now. You just want to complain and call people names without getting to the root of the issue. Can't say I'm surprised - thank you for proving my point.

ETA: I also like to whine about problems without seeking solutions. It's so productive.

Little of what you said was my intent, but you have an interesting perspective that I had not considered. I think the forums have too much rudeness and juvenile comments. It seemed such a simple and clear statement to me.

I'm making a very simple request. Back your simple and clear statement up with facts and details OR move on. Anything else is just attention seeking.

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking for? That I go find some posts I think are rude, then come back here and tell you their usernames?? Why? What then? So we could discuss whether you agree with me? Go over the aspects of why the posts were or were not mean or rude or juvenile?

Sorry, not my kind of thing. I think I'll just move along.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking for? That I go find some posts I think are rude, then come back here and tell you their usernames?? Why? What then? So we could discuss whether you agree with me? Go over the aspects of why the posts were or were not mean or rude or juvenile?

It's about freaking time someone did!
  • jlrs2015
    Options
    Can we all stop moaning and complaining and just enjoy some cat gifs?

large.gif

Funny-GIF-Kitty-Pounce.gif

1369936433_cat_cripwalks_off_the_counter.gif

Now, these are AWESOME!!!!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it funny that people got called mean in the cleaning thread even though the OP didn't like any of the advice and was the one that got rude and upset, then someone else started calling people who also weren't mean names (which is against the TOS) and now someone who obviously hadn't read the whole thread is telling everyone to shut up.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Can we all stop moaning and complaining and just enjoy some cat gifs?

large.gif

Funny-GIF-Kitty-Pounce.gif

1369936433_cat_cripwalks_off_the_counter.gif

CFSwHdq.gif
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Hear, hear, OP!!

I am relatively new to the site, but I have not encountered such uncivility since Jr. High School. So many seem to revel in being called mean. They defend their right to be mean and claim they are just "helping" or they were driven to it lesser minds.

I have also noticed Jr. High type "cliques". One person will post something snarky or rude and suddenly a bunch of others start in. Often the same group. I assume these are from their 'friends' list. Because if a group is rude, then it's not really rude, right?

I guess I will have to say this again... this place is unicorns and rainbow glitter compared to the likes of Babycenter, the Knot, and Sodahead... among many others, those are just the places I have been myself... so please... join another forum and then comeback and see how uncivil this place is... Hell, there was a time where even NEOPETS was worse than this place has ever been... yes, a game website.

I am a member of three other forums (all organic farming sites). They are nothng like this. People disagree, sometimes it gets a little heated, but I've never encountered anything like this. I suppose there are moderators on those sites, though I've never known one to have to step in.

I'm not familiar with the sites you mention, but are they geared toward juveniles? .

Don't you think it's kind of mean to be calling people juveniles? Why is it ok for you to throw out insults no no one else?

Who am I insulting?

You called us all juvenile and silly. You actually make it a point to come into every mean people thread and do so.

"Us all"? I suppose if you saw a shoe that fits, then you might interpret it that way. But I singled no one out. I made a general statement about the forums in general. I agree with the OP.

Well I assumed you were referring to the people responding in the cleaning thread. I've asked for specific examples, which you have yet to provide, so I assume you mean everyone.

And, no, the shoe absolutely does not fit. I don't have a mean bone in my body unless provoked. I do love Gifs though because....funny. I have a big funny bone.

You assume incorrectly.

If people are going to post about these "mean people" then call them out specifically and let's discuss. Perhaps it's a matter of not understanding where one people is coming from.

You either want the problem or the solution in life. Solutions never happen in generalities.

This forum isn't life and I was not seeking a solution. I don't recall the usernames of those who have been rude in the forums nor would I mention them if I did. I'm not out to try and shame anyone or deal with ridicule from those who feel no shame in being rude.

This forum isn't life, yet you feel so strongly about these mean people that you come into all these threads to call them silly, juvenile and then some. Check.

You don't recall the usernames of those who have been rude but, yet again, you are fired up enough to come here and call them silly and juvenile. Check. Check.

You are not here to shame anyone, yet you come here to call people silly and juvenile and declare "people" rude. Check check check.

When called out on it, you put it back on the OP instead of accepting responsibility for your own posts.

I think I got it now. You just want to complain and call people names without getting to the root of the issue. Can't say I'm surprised - thank you for proving my point.

ETA: I also like to whine about problems without seeking solutions. It's so productive.

Little of what you said was my intent, but you have an interesting perspective that I had not considered. I think the forums have too much rudeness and juvenile comments. It seemed such a simple and clear statement to me.

I'm making a very simple request. Back your simple and clear statement up with facts and details OR move on. Anything else is just attention seeking.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm asking. Identify the people that you think are so rude. Then, maybe, we can get to the bottom of it by learning where they are coming from. Or, you can just believe you are right without ever bothering to understand the other side.

The thing about people here is that when someone is genuinely rude and mean for the sake of being rude and mean, they are called out on it - usually by the regulars here. So, if that's the case, let's figure that out. If that's not the case, then it's all a misunderstanding. And we can figure that out, too.

Otherwise, let's all just wallow in the problem and have the same discussion, with the same people, over and over again.

But, go ahead and move along. I'm sure we'll see you in the next mean people thread. Be prepared for me to ask the same question.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the "thread in question" to know if it was "mean or not". Are there snarky people on threads? Of course. There's gonna be snark on EVERY message board on the internet. It's like an unwritten rule. At times, I'm one of them. I'll fully admit it. With that said, there are a lot of people here who do, genuinely want to help. Everyone has a different personality. There are a lot who, despite having the best of intentions, just don't have tact. They just tell it like it is, and are painfully blunt. It hurts some people's feelings. They aren't trying to be mean. They aren't trying to be snarky, it's simply their personality, while others try to put things as gently as possible while saying the same thing. Both parties are coming from a good place and genuinely WANT to help, and see others succeed.

Are there times some people are mean? Yeah. I've been mean. I won't lie. If I see *what* I perceive someone just being an outright *kitten*, I'll go after them, and stay on them. I spent WAY too much time on a debate board to just let it die. I need to work on that ****, but there's just some things I *can't* deal with. For the most part, I can let a lot roll right on off my crocodile scales, but every now and then, something will irritate one of them, and I'll have to gnaw it.

Just do you. Support those you can, build up those that you can, and take care of yourself. You can't control others, there's no use in trying. I gave up trying to figure out others a long time ago. A lot of the "mean people" aren't really mean at all.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add that I think it makes sense to listen to the people who have successfully lost weight or gained muscle and have then maintained it over the people who keep restarting or fluctuating. One group is successful, while the other group is in progress.

Sure, the in progress group can have awesome advice and should certainly contribute to the discussion. I certainly do. However, it doesn't make sense to view those who are successful as snobby for thinking that they are more knowledgeable on topics related to fitness and weight loss. They are more knowledgeable. That's why they're successful.

Sometimes the successful peeps can be a little blunt because they're giving the same piece of advice for the 10 billionth time, but where would we be without them? Part of the reason I've lost the weight I have is that I learned so much from these people while I was still lurking on the treads, even if I didn't agree with them at first (example - I totally started with 1200 calories). Guess what? They were right. I'm also lifting heavier weights even though I previously thought that a 5lb dumbbell was "heavy" and totally a great workout. Turns out I really can use heavier weights (still increasing!).

I really don't think that most people are being mean. I just think that a lot of people are used to having people tell them what they want to hear. It's like asking how you look in a particular outfit and then being angry at the person for telling you that you look fat. Don't ask if you don't want an honest answer. Trust me, someone else will ask your question. And then again. And again. And again. :flowerforyou:
    :flowerforyou:
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Any online forum is going to have the kind, mean, snarky, needy, ignorant, and know-it-all people on it. Sort through them if you're going to post for advice. :flowerforyou:
  • PRMinx
    Options
    I'm finding it funny that people got called mean in the cleaning thread even though the OP didn't like any of the advice and was the one that got rude and upset, then someone else started calling people who also weren't mean names (which is against the TOS) and now someone who obviously hadn't read the whole thread is telling everyone to shut up.

I find it funny that there are all these mean people here but no one can identify them.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options

CFSwHdq.gif

THIS is seriously the greatest thing I've ever seen, and I'm stealing it, NAO!!!
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I started on this site for the first time about three years ago. At that time it was a wonderful place to get motivation and support. I found a lot of nice and helpful people. This site is suppose to be about supporting each other, but more and more I see people being less supportive and just down right mean. Some users seem to have an attitude that they are better because they have been a successful where another user wasn't as successful or is taking just a little more time.
    I have read multiple post today where a person asked a simple question and they were ridiculed for it. One poor girl simply asked what was the difference between light cleaning and heavy cleaning. That's all she wanted to know, but there were post after post about how she shouldn't log cleaning. It's not anyone's right to tell another person what they should and shouldn't log. If I decided to log "walking to my fridge to get a snack" it's no one's business but my own.
    I think some users are forgetting the reasons for a site like this. I also want to make it clear that I'm saying "some users", because there are still a lot of genuinely nice people on here.
    We all need to be kind to one another. Most of us have all been in the same situation and for the few of you that have always been fit and use the site to keep track of your fitness then you need to understand that it doesn't come as easy to some as it does to you. For the ones that have been overweight and out of shape remember where you have come from and how you felt in the beginning.
    It shouldn't matter if you are morbidly obese, too thin, or have never had an issue. We are all here for the same reason and that's to be the best us we can be. So, as I said before be kind to one another or you're disrespecting the site, the members, and yourself. It's fantastic to look good but real beauty still comes from within.

People on here are very supportive. That is why we have friends on here and support each other to lose weight, gain weight or maintain weight. The point for the forums are for discussions, opinions, advice and to answer questions. Support can be harsh too sometimes. Support can be the wake up call someone needs. Support can be good or bad. Support can be what someone just may not want to hear. It is what it is.

No one is saying they are better than anyone else. I mean sheesh can we just all have a moment of silence for the sensitive people, who take everything to heart.........Shhhh....moment of silence please......

Everything does not have to be sugar coated on this site just to protect someone from getting butt hurt over something so silly and stupid.

No one tells people what they should and should not be doing. Once again it is called....say it with me....ADVICE...

Opinions...everyone has one and is entitled to it.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

jK5PaEm.jpg
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    What am I doing with my life? I need to get outside more.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Hear, hear, OP!!

Who am I insulting?

You assume incorrectly.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm asking. Identify the people that you think are so rude. Then, maybe, we can get to the bottom of it by learning where they are coming from. Or, you can just believe you are right without ever bothering to understand the other side.

The thing about people here is that when someone is genuinely rude and mean for the sake of being rude and mean, they are called out on it - usually by the regulars here. So, if that's the case, let's figure that out. If that's not the case, then it's all a misunderstanding. And we can figure that out, too.

Otherwise, let's all just wallow in the problem and have the same discussion, with the same people, over and over again.

But, go ahead and move along. I'm sure we'll see you in the next mean people thread. Be prepared for me to ask the same question.

You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. Paige I appreciate you trying to be part of the solution. It seems others who want to complain about the mean people don't actually want a solution. They just want to whine and get validation that people are mean.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    I started on this site for the first time about three years ago. At that time it was a wonderful place to get motivation and support. I found a lot of nice and helpful people. This site is suppose to be about supporting each other, but more and more I see people being less supportive and just down right mean. Some users seem to have an attitude that they are better because they have been a successful where another user wasn't as successful or is taking just a little more time.
    I have read multiple post today where a person asked a simple question and they were ridiculed for it. One poor girl simply asked what was the difference between light cleaning and heavy cleaning. That's all she wanted to know, but there were post after post about how she shouldn't log cleaning. It's not anyone's right to tell another person what they should and shouldn't log. If I decided to log "walking to my fridge to get a snack" it's no one's business but my own.
    I think some users are forgetting the reasons for a site like this. I also want to make it clear that I'm saying "some users", because there are still a lot of genuinely nice people on here.
    We all need to be kind to one another. Most of us have all been in the same situation and for the few of you that have always been fit and use the site to keep track of your fitness then you need to understand that it doesn't come as easy to some as it does to you. For the ones that have been overweight and out of shape remember where you have come from and how you felt in the beginning.
    It shouldn't matter if you are morbidly obese, too thin, or have never had an issue. We are all here for the same reason and that's to be the best us we can be. So, as I said before be kind to one another or you're disrespecting the site, the members, and yourself. It's fantastic to look good but real beauty still comes from within.

People on here are very supportive. That is why we have friends on here and support each other to lose weight, gain weight or maintain weight. The point for the forums are for discussions, opinions, advice and to answer questions. Support can be harsh too sometimes. Support can be the wake up call someone needs. Support can be good or bad. Support can be what someone just may not want to hear. It is what it is.

No one is saying they are better than anyone else. I mean sheesh can we just all have a moment of silence for the sensitive people, who take everything to heart.........Shhhh....moment of silence please......

Everything does not have to be sugar coated on this site just to protect someone from getting butt hurt over something so silly and stupid.

No one tells people what they should and should not be doing. Once again it is called....say it with me....ADVICE...

Opinions...everyone has one and is entitled to it.

No no no…Your opinion is wrong. :tongue: :flowerforyou:
  • PRMinx
    Options
    You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. Paige I appreciate you trying to be part of the solution. It seems others who want to complain about the mean people don't actually want a solution. They just want to whine and get validation that people are mean.

:flowerforyou:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Hear, hear, OP!!

Who am I insulting?

You assume incorrectly.

yepppppppppppppppyepyepyep
    yip-yip-radio-o.gif
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    “Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” Marcus Aurelius
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    you know the struggle is real when you have to use the page down button instead of scroll because it's just too damn long :laugh: