MFP has really changed

Options

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Anyone bring a mop for all the salty tears in this thread?

Pro tip OP (I know you're still watching, you aren't fooling anyone.) and OP's little supporters:

No one here exists to validate you. No one here exists to tell you what nonsense you want to hear.

If you're posting about diet pills, MLM crap, cleanses/detoxes and all other assorted wastes of time and money:

You WILL be told in no uncertain terms that you're wasting time and money.

You are not owed an apology, soft and fluffy words or "respect for your opinion" in that scenario.

Posting about that crap can be a detriment to lurkers who are desperate to make a quick fix change.

If you want to engage in that bunk, that's YOUR problem and yours alone.

If you want to waste time and delude yourself into thinking that "heavy cleaning" is legitimate exercise, that's your business.

Know that if you ask someone for an opinion, you will receive it. And chances are, it might be contrary to what your fragile ego needs to hear.

That's no one's problem but yours.

Part of being an adult is accepting that not everyone agrees with you, not everyone needs to agree with you and that you aren't entitled to respect for an opinion based on pseudoscience. Anecdotal evidence is all fine and well, but largely irrelevant.

If you don't want to act like an adult, don't. That's your choice.

But don't stamp your feet and cry when other people do.

*This message has been brought to you by A Mean Person Who Isn't Interested In Your Feelings*

I think I love you
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    And, I always worry when the OP, has de-activated.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    One poor girl simply asked what was the difference between light cleaning and heavy cleaning.

That one' poor girl' was rude, nasty and defensive to nearly everyone who posted in her thread. She not only got various answers to her question, but was also given tips and recommendations for logging. She got angry AND TYPED IN ALL CAPS - the equivalent of yelling at everyone.

^^^^^^
    this
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    And, I always worry when the OP, has de-activated.

I just wonder what their new user name will be when they pop up again.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I like everything my friends post.

I tend to stay away from the forums unless the title in "Recent Forum Topics" on my home page catches my attention.

Groups are FAR more supportive than the forums.

So are there groups to join on this site? I was here 4 or 5 years ago briefly and I'm thinking of coming back but need a place for support and accountability. Just asking.
    Lots of groups. Click on "groups" and then search for what interests you. Some folks choose groups that match their diet (calorie counting, low carb...) some choose groups that match their overall lifestyle (single moms etc.)
    There's a group or two for every thing!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Wait, OP has deactivated?
    Well thanks for telling us all that we're mean, and then buggering off, thus doing nothing to affect any sort of change that you apparently wanted to see.
    I haven't read all the thread (and it had better still be here when I have the time to read it), but did anyone get Bingo?

OP was a troll…just wanted to start this little thread. I'm sure they are still reading it...
    Folks sure like the word troll here.
    The OP was not a troll.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I have been using a calorie app for almost 1 year. In recent months, I found myself gravitating toward MFP because of its more extensive database and transferred my historical data. I like MFP.

I can’t honestly say I pay “real” attention to negative posts (posts that disagree aren't always negative). Some people honestly struggle, while others seem to make excuses and want some kind of validation.

Everyone deserves “understanding.” Using MFP keeps me accountable to myself. Tracking food, water and exercise is easier for me using an app. If I read something I think has value or someone’s progress inspires me – all the better.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Well thanks for telling us all that we're mean, and then buggering off, thus doing nothing to affect any sort of change that you apparently wanted to see.
    I haven't read all the thread (and it had better still be here when I have the time to read it), but did anyone get Bingo?

OP was a troll…just wanted to start this little thread. I'm sure they are still reading it...
    The OP was not a troll.

you're joking, right?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

The OP was not a troll.

you're joking, right?
    Nope.
    But then, I've been on internet groups for a lonnnnnng time.
    Perhaps the meaning has shifted.
    The OP's post was not trolling as I have ever used the word.
    I see a crap ton of trolling on here. That wasn't it.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    One poor girl simply asked what was the difference between light cleaning and heavy cleaning.

That one' poor girl' was rude, nasty and defensive to nearly everyone who posted in her thread. She not only got various answers to her question, but was also given tips and recommendations for logging. She got angry AND TYPED IN ALL CAPS - the equivalent of yelling at everyone.

^^^^^^
    this

O
    M
    G

She typed in ALL CAPS!?!

The horror! The shame! The outrage!

Really... People need to breathe in, breathe out, dance around the kitchen, and relax.

But don't log that... It's not really exercise. :laugh:
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    OP talking about logging. People us MFP for different things. If you book in as sedentary and then do housework for 5 hrs or walk 4 miles at work then you need to book it or else MFP's calculations will ve completely off. If you book sitting down watching TV then this would be silly but I'm sure you are not doing that. At the end of the day MFP works with data, the more data you give it the better it will work..
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

^^^^^^
    this

O
    M
    G

She typed in ALL CAPS!?!

The horror! The shame! The outrage!

Really... People need to breathe in, breathe out, dance around the kitchen, and relax.

But don't log that... It's not really exercise. :laugh:

You could really get going, dancing around the kitchen - if you did it long enough you could log it!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

The OP was not a troll.

you're joking, right?
    Nope.

Let's see….started an account just to post a mean people thread. Flame baited said mean people thread…hmmmm…troll.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

The OP was not a troll.

you're joking, right?
    Nope.

Let's see….started an account just to post a mean people thread. Flame baited said mean people thread…hmmmm…troll.
    I think Miz Stroehm needs to brush up on her internet terminology. May I recommend urbandictionary.com. You will be quizzed.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

The OP was not a troll.

you're joking, right?
    Nope.

I think Miz Stroehm needs to brush up on her internet terminology. May I recommend urbandictionary.com. You will be quizzed.
    I know it well.

And, nope.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    1) There seems to be a decent, and very unscientifically founded :laugh:, correlation between responses to "mean people" threads and start dates. There are definitely some outliers, but this is just observation.

2) This cat is my spirit animal and needs to be in this thread again.
    CFSwHdq.gif

Edited to fix an egregious grammatical error I saw! :embarassed:
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Now we're arguing about the definition of troll? Ironic post is ironic.
  • gilmore606
    gilmore606 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    EVERY MORNING I CRAP THE BED.
  • evsplava
    evsplava Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I started on this site for the first time about three years ago. At that time it was a wonderful place to get motivation and support. I found a lot of nice and helpful people. This site is suppose to be about supporting each other, but more and more I see people being less supportive and just down right mean. Some users seem to have an attitude that they are better because they have been a successful where another user wasn't as successful or is taking just a little more time.
    I have read multiple post today where a person asked a simple question and they were ridiculed for it. One poor girl simply asked what was the difference between light cleaning and heavy cleaning. That's all she wanted to know, but there were post after post about how she shouldn't log cleaning. It's not anyone's right to tell another person what they should and shouldn't log. If I decided to log "walking to my fridge to get a snack" it's no one's business but my own.
    I think some users are forgetting the reasons for a site like this. I also want to make it clear that I'm saying "some users", because there are still a lot of genuinely nice people on here.
    We all need to be kind to one another. Most of us have all been in the same situation and for the few of you that have always been fit and use the site to keep track of your fitness then you need to understand that it doesn't come as easy to some as it does to you. For the ones that have been overweight and out of shape remember where you have come from and how you felt in the beginning.
    It shouldn't matter if you are morbidly obese, too thin, or have never had an issue. We are all here for the same reason and that's to be the best us we can be. So, as I said before be kind to one another or you're disrespecting the site, the members, and yourself. It's fantastic to look good but real beauty still comes from within.

I TOTALLY agree!! I have been on here since (maybe 2008) and I am appalled at the responses! I will refer to my topic "body image".

Every ones story is different so I don't know what all the high and mighty "I know all because I lost weight" attitude is! If you don't have anything nice to say then go sit down and be quiet!!

Are some people honestly unable to see the blatant hypocrisy in their own words? I mean this sincerely. Is it like how some people are color-blind? That some people are hypocrisy/irony-blind?

*whew* I genuinely thought I was the only one that noticed that the Be-Nice Brigade generally have the nastiest things to say.