What book(s) are you currently reading?

Options

Replies

• lavenderphoenix
    lavenderphoenix Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    1. The Disappearing Spoon And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World From the Periodic Table of the Elements By Sam Kean

2. From Darwin to Einstein-- Colossal Mistakes by Great Scientists That Changed Our Understanding of Life and the Universe By Mario Livio

3. Sex, Drugs, and Sea Slime - The Oceans' Oddest Creatures and Why They Matter By Ellen J. Prager
  • SpikeTailTurtle
    Options
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. Friends have been singing Neil Gaiman's praises for years and after finishing my first book by him, The Ocean at the End of the Lane, I totally get why. I'm absolutely on a Neil Gaiman kick that probably won't end until I've devoured all of his work. Must read all the creepy whimsicalness!

Read Neverwhere if you haven't gotten there yet.

I personally never cared for American Gods either but that's just me.
  • SpikeTailTurtle
    Options
    Let's see its not proper reading but I am listening to Forever Odd by Dean Koontz (audible)

Then I'm actually reading:

Stephen King: The Long Walk
    Rereading a well loved Harry Potter box set

Not much reading lately. ): I should fix that.
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Just finished rereading Harry Potter. Almost finished with The Night Circus by Erin Mortgenson. Recently read a few steampunk novels by Stephen Hunt, have the next one on hold at my local library! Next book I'm reading is Map of Time by Felix Palma.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King
  • crystalstinson7
    crystalstinson7 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm currently enrolled in a Young Adult Literature class so I'm reading Divergent (and, no, I'm not cheating and watching the movie). I'll be starting The Kite Runner soon (in graphic novel form). For my own personal enjoyment, I'm re-reading Armand, a book from the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice.
  • jke78
    jke78 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am currently working my way through the Game of Throne series, again. After I guess I'll reread the Silo Series. One of these days I'll buy the Dark Tower books on my kindle and read all those, again. :smile:
  • amyford25
    amyford25 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

Me too :drinker:
    ... and The City by Dean Koontz
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options

Me too :drinker:
    ... and The City by Dean Koontz

I love Dean Koontz....The City is next on my list. :drinker:
  • soinfinite
    Options
    Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs.
  • MelpomeneTears
    MelpomeneTears Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Big, Big Love by Hanne Blank
    The Ego Trick by Julian Baggini
    Any Human Heart by William Boyd
  • Raaneve
    Raaneve Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Currently:

There Is Only War - a Warhammer 40K anthology (I'm a huge 40K fan)

The Ultramarines Omninbus - Graham McNeill

Poland - James Michener

The Dream Master - Roger Zelazny

The Golden Asse - Lucius Apuleius

and

The Complete Collection of H.P. Lovecraft - H.P. Lovecraft (obviously :) )
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    War Letters: Extraordinary Correspondence from American Wars by Andrew Carroll

Here's the description:

Here are letters from the Civil War, World War I, World War II, Korea, the Cold War, Vietnam, the Persian Gulf war, Somalia, and Bosnia -- dramatic eyewitness accounts from the front lines, poignant expressions of love for family and country, insightful reflections on the nature of warfare. Amid the voices of common soldiers, marines, airmen, sailors, nurses, journalists, spies, and chaplains are letters by such legendary figures as Gen. William T. Sherman, Clara Barton, Theodore Roosevelt, Ernie Pyle, Gen. Douglas MacArthur, Julia Child, Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf, and Gen. Benjamin O. Davis Sr. Collected in War Letters, they are an astonishing historical record, a powerful tribute to those who fought, and a celebration of the enduring power of letters.

Though I had read this previously, it was so compelling I feel it is worth re-reading. Sometimes the situations were so gut-wrenching I had to put it down for a bit, but I had to go back to see what happened.
  • kristinhowell
    kristinhowell Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    The Night Gardener by George Pelecanos
  • silverraiyne
    silverraiyne Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy :blushing:
  • RachaelRenk
    RachaelRenk Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The Happy Hooker (not the crochet book) by Xaviera Hollander
    Fat is a Feminist Issue by Susie Orbach
    The Two-Bear Mambo by Joe R. Lansdale
  • silverraiyne
    silverraiyne Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I am currently working my way through the Game of Throne series, again. After I guess I'll reread the Silo Series. One of these days I'll buy the Dark Tower books on my kindle and read all those, again. :smile:

I love the Dark Tower series! Susannah is my hero, she's such a bad *kitten* & one of the only characters to survive all eight books!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I am not a big fan of most fiction. The last book I read was non-fiction: The Daughters of Isis - about women in ancient Egypt. I loved it. Before that was a textbook from my husband's Anthropology class, LOL - such a nerd. The last fiction was an old sci-fi: The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. LeGuin. I liked it enough to read to the end - I don't make it too far into most fiction work, so that's a thumbs up for me. Happy reading, People! :drinker:
  • leftinthekitchen
    Options
    Nancy Friday's "My Secret Garden"

I'm also reading that book, very interesting read:wink:

"Herzog" Saul Bellow
    "Strangers on a Train" Patricia Highsmith
    "Fragile Things" Neil Gaiman
    "the Small-Mart Revolution" Micheal Shuman
  • ulala424
    ulala424 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Broken Monsters by Lauren Beukes