Anyone Else Have an Overweight Chid? Any tips?

Options

Replies

• housemamma
    housemamma Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree to find fun activities such as bike riding, but realize living in an apartment might mean less space to store gear. One activity that my daughter loved was badminton. We just threw a stick on the ground and that served as our net. Lots of giggles and it does get your heart rate going.

I'm proud of you working hard to improve your family health. Keep up the good work!
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are making the right adjustments. Good going, mom! Kids learn more from your actions than your words - lead by example.

In this day and age, maybe some limits on the time kids can spend sitting indoors playing digital games or watching TV (at least during daylight hours).
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are making the right adjustments. Good going mom! Kids learn more from your actions, not your words - lead by example.

In this day and age, maybe some limits on the time kids can spend sitting indoors playing digital games or watching TV (at least during daylight hours).

I agree with limiting TV and video games for everyone in the family. Turn off the TV and go hiking or go to the park. Encourage reading (not for weight loss, but for mental acuity) as an alternative to video games.

Everything in moderation!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Yoni Freedhoff (Weighty Matters Blog) is an excellent resource you might find helpful and encouraging. Basically, keep doing what you're doing -- provide nutritious home cooked meals from whole foods and be active as a family. Forced exercise and calorie counting is not the answer.

ARTICLES (some from a quick Google search)

Why You Shouldn't Put Your Child On A Diet
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/yoni-freedhoff/childhood-obesity_b_1399203.html

Don't Blame Your Children for Their Weight
    http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2013/08/28/dont-blame-your-children-for-their-weight

Are You The Key To Your Child’s Best Weight?
    http://healthygrowingkids.com/yoni-freedhoff/

Do You Know How to Feed Your Children?
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/yoni-freedhoff/child-nutrition_b_1116802.html

SOME SUGGESTIONS

- Cook healthy meals from whole ingredients for each and every meal.
    - Have sit down family dinners each and every night (remembering they don't need to be gourmet - kids do love peanut butter sandwiches).
    - Involve your children in meal (and school lunch) preparation.
    - Track the added sugars in your childrens' diets and try to limit to no more than 45 grams daily (remembering that some days should be exceptions too - sugar's part of childhood, it just needn't be a daily part).
    - Ensure that the only fruit they eat is actual fruit - no juices, rollups, chews, or mashes.
    - Make their milk white, not brown and sugary.
    - Ensure your children eat protein with every meal and snack, and that they start their days off with a wholesome, protein inclusive, breakfast.
    - Make restaurant meals and take out (including supermarket prepared takeout meals) exceedingly rare events.
    - Engage your family in family based physical activity - weekend hikes, nightly walks, signing up for community races, landscaping, home improvement projects, push lawnmowers, snow shoveling, etc.

Source: http://www.weightymatters.ca/2011/08/horrifying-new-product-alert-body-fat.html

WEIGHTY MATTERS BLOG TAGS

Children:
    http://www.weightymatters.ca/search/label/children

Parental No
    http://www.weightymatters.ca/search/label/Parental No

Best wishes to you and your family. :flowerforyou:
  • rmw10c
    rmw10c Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't have have kids, but I can tell you what bugged me as an overweight kid, which might help you decide how to deal with his weight. But, to start off, you are doing the right thing in changing your own eating habits, cooking so that you know what goes into the food, practicing moderation, and setting limits on treats for him (and any other kids you might have?).

As an adult, I can clearly say that these things really affected my self esteem:

*Father making comments about how fat I was.
    *Mother telling me I wasn't fat (even though I was 5 ft. and weighed 145 pounds at 12, and then 5 ft 4 in high school and weighed 200 pounds)
    *Waking up in the wee hours and hearing my parents arguing over me being fat.
    *Being told I couldn't eat something when everyone else could, and them eating in front of me talking about how good it was
    *Being told to exercise rather than my parents doing exercise activities with me.

Please listen to your doctor and do not make his weight the focus, but continue practicing and teaching moderation. He's still growing, so don't put him on a diet either. He just might learn to make those healthier choices for himself as he grows up.

I TOTALLY agree with all of this!! As a child I wasn't technically overweight, but I seemed chubby compared to my thin sister and mother. I heard about my weight from both of them on a regular basis which set me up for an eating disorder of secretly binging and then purging as a teenager.

I really feel the best way to teach a child healthy eating and exercise habits is through modeling. Sounds like you're doing a great job of getting the family involved rather than singling him out!!
  • jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone!!! I am trying very hard to make the right changes and be a better mom for him!! We never let him know he is overweight but I have heard kids make some comments. We tell him he is handsome and that he is big and strong like his dad. His dad used to try and make him clean his plate but I put a stop to that real quick. I try to start with small portions and if he wants more he can have some after his veggies are all gone. He loves fruit and veggies so that helps. We were a fast food family for a long time then we realized that not only were we all obese but we were broke all the time! Its amazing how much money we have saved but cutting out fast food. I have put that towards my grocery shopping. He loves to swim so I'm going to see if I can find a program at the Y for him. I take him to workout with me at our apartment when his Dad is at work and he asks me why I'm working out and I tell him so I can be healthy and strong. I hope this will stick with him.

It sounds to me like you're going about this in the right way. Making it about your whole family being healthy, versus his weight. Good for you for getting on top of this now because it will be much more difficult for him if he's an overweight adolescent.

I disagree with the doctor who told you he will grow into his weight. I have a 14 year old and I've observed him and most of the boys in his grade. Most of them grew into their weight, but they were carrying 10-15 extra lbs. and your son is about 50-55 lbs. over what his weight should be for his age and height. Mine isn't overweight, but he eats relatively healthy for a teen and drinks mostly water. The only thing I've restricted him from is soda and caffeine. Once he got old enough to have a soda at a friend's house or elsewhere, he didn't like them. He drinks skim milk with breakfast and he's very active. I have talked to him about portion sizes. He used to wait until he was starving to eat, then made a huge plate of food. But he's usually been one to stop eating when he feels full. I wish I had been that way for the last ten years. =o)

Your son will likely begin to care about how he looks more when he starts going through puberty and liking girls. The fact that you're giving him a gentle head start will benefit him in the years to come.
  • pamhamor
    pamhamor Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yay for you! I think you sound like a great mom that is trying to lead by example. I stress about this all the time with my girls - they aren't overweight, but I know I could do better. Your post is motivating and a great reminder that kids learn by example. The great news is that he is only 7 - you still have a chance to help him form good eating and activity habits without putting pressure on him that could impact his self esteem.
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    while all of these wonderful parents are chiming in with great suggestions.....i have another question people might be able to help with.....how do you get your extremely picky eater to eat fruits and veggies?....or even TRY them?....he started snubbing them when he was around 18 months and hasnt looked back.
  • penny0919
    penny0919 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My number #1 tip....NO SWEETENED DRINKS!!!

Water only, along with a couple glasses of milk a day if he wants. I read recently that the number one contributer to chikdhood obesity is soda. But juice and other sweet drinks have a lot of extra calories too.

Good for you mama and hang in there when things start to get tough.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    while all of these wonderful parents are chiming in with great suggestions.....i have another question people might be able to help with.....how do you get your extremely picky eater to eat fruits and veggies?....or even TRY them?....he started snubbing them when he was around 18 months and hasnt looked back.

Bribery? Lol. What about making a smoothie? You can get loads of fruit in that. My 3 year old will drink green smoothies too, with kale in them.

My kids just eat what we do, and if they want yogurt or something after, they have to eat their veggies. My 5 year old didn't used to be interested on food at all, but he's fine now, and will eat whatever we make. He does whine sometimes, but he does eat it. My 3 year old has always eaten everything. She used to steal my Graze snacks - pistachios, seeds, dried fruit etc.
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have 3 children, one skinny, one average, one overweight. I feed them the same. I was also conscious my own weight may be or is a contributing factor so was part of my reasons to lose my own weight.

It's truly difficult especially as are teens. I don't want to make foods an issue. Yet I want desperately to help.

We eat healthily, meals from scratch but still Saturday night treat like HM curry and stir frys instead of takeaways.
    I try and have frequently fun days out, biking and walking, also currently skiing lessons.
    We have movie night and I do platters of fruit instead of crisps.
    Have you tried disguising veggies? I also always put a few of every thing on the plate every time.
    I remember year's ago someone asking me how I got my kids to eat brown bread, my response was I don't buy white.. simples. I am the same with any thing I don't want them to have, tough cos im not buying, things like chocolate in cereal... not in my house.
  • jajajajordan88
    Options
    I wish when I was growing up that my parents taught me the importance of "food is fuel" vs. "food to eat." (I don't know when would be an appropriate age to start passing that on to him)

Any type of exercise helps, like the other posters. One of my favorite things was a kids summer camp, we'd do arts and crafts all day along with dodgeball/tag/other games :)
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    My 2.5 year old is 45lbs and his dr raised an eyebrow at me. He has a gut and needs 4t pants. I took away all juice and milk save for one glass at each meal. I also gave a time limit for meal time. He has 20 min to eat, anything left on his plate is removed and he waits till next meal time. It was hard at first because before if he was hungry he ate if he wasn't he didn't. It made it hard for me to track if he was eating enough or too much. It has been 6 months and he is still 45 lbs but he has grown 1.25 inches. He is growing into his weight.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    My youngest son who is now 19 was quite obese. At age 15 we met the most wonderful doctor. He never once used the word diet. My son had high blood pressure and was super close to being 'pre-diabetic'. At the time he was 5'9" and weighed 268 pounds.

The doctor showed my son a growth chart, and that my son was not on it. His goal was to get my son to 199 pounds over 3 years. He knew he'd be growing in height. His plan of action was first to try to prevent more weight gain.

My son was asked to change ONE poor eating habit and substitute it for one good choice. He gave up chips and started eating fruit at least once a day.

He was asked to move his body a little bit more each day. Nothing huge, just get moving more. So, he started walking to school instead of me driving him.

In 3 months he lost 8 pounds. Not a lot, but enough so that he could see progress.

Anyway, he kept at this and kept making better choices. We cut out fast food dinners to just once a month.

Now at 19, he is 5' 10.5" and weighs 187. He looks and feels amazing. He skateboards and runs. He told me he loves how his body feels now and that he can do active things without being out of breath.

Making these changes for you son now is the best thing you can do to ensure he has a long healthy life. He's still under your control when it comes to food choices. My son was in high school and had access to the convenience stores/ fast food places.
    Please just don't ever use the word "diet" with you boy. Slow and steady is the healthy way for youngsters to attain leaner bodies. Get him moving much much more than what he is doing today.
    Any kind of game where they run is good.
    Have plenty of healthy and tasty food available is key too. It's just so easy to give in to fast food when life is busy and everyone is starving.
    Good luck.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice to share, but just wanted to hop on and say two things...

1) I'm so proud of you for making these changes not only for him but for you and for taking full responsibility. It's clear you love your son and want to model healthy behaviors for him.
    2) I'm so proud of the people who've responded to be encouraging, kind, and supportive without being judgmental.

Best wishes on your journey and your son's!
  • sweedee1218
    sweedee1218 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for being so kind and supportive!! I am making a list!! Thanks for all the great advice and for your kind words its a excellent motivation!!!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    My 2.5 year old is 45lbs and his dr raised an eyebrow at me. He has a gut and needs 4t pants. I took away all juice and milk save for one glass at each meal. I also gave a time limit for meal time. He has 20 min to eat, anything left on his plate is removed and he waits till next meal time. It was hard at first because before if he was hungry he ate if he wasn't he didn't. It made it hard for me to track if he was eating enough or too much. It has been 6 months and he is still 45 lbs but he has grown 1.25 inches. He is growing into his weight.

How tall is he? My 5 year old is 44lbs. Your son could be really tall though. Sometimes height isn't taken into account. A friend of mine has a 6ft4 husband and is tall herself, but she was pulled up about her boys' weight at their 2 year checks. Look at how tall they are!!
  • nicoleagafitness
    nicoleagafitness Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    what everyone else says, plus BIKE RIDES! Great and low impact.
  • ironsun
    ironsun Posts: 30
    Options

I tell my kid that he doesn't get any more food until he eats what is on his plate. Eventually he will get hungry and eat it. With my kid, it is just a power play.
  • jamilynn_8890
    jamilynn_8890 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Coming from someone who has been overweight since childhood, I have to disagree with the people saying not to put him on a diet and not to encourage him to lose weight. I WISH my parents would have done this with me. I probably wouldn't be struggling with it now if I had learned my lessons then. I wasted so many years of my life because of this and I'd give anything to have them back.