30 Day Shred CHALLENGE!!! Join me!

Options

Replies

• food_junkie
    Options
    Holy crap.
    What did I get myself into?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!
    Okay so I may be able to run 9 miles straight, but seriously after tonight..strength training is totally my weak spot! My whole body feels like jello..all I gotta say is WOW,,20 min and I am sweating bullets. I am way more outta shape than I thought..I'm gonna do it tomorrow morning again..this time with 5 lbs weights instead of 8. Kudos to anyone who has stuck to this program for 30 days straight!!!

My emotions right now --- :happy: :grumble: :huh: :drinker:
  • Zen123
    Zen123 Posts: 29
    Options
    I think I am going to do this challenge. It sounds fun. I looked up some of her stuff on YouTube and I really enjoyed it. I am not much of an exercise person but I've come to realize that I am not 18 anymore and if I want to look good now, I have to work for it.

What are the measurements you all are talking about? What should we measure?

Thanks
  • stenogal
    stenogal Posts: 36
    Options
    OOOOOOH MY GOSH! COUNT ME IN! I am going to go buy it tomorrow! What a great way to stay motivated! Great idea!

LET'S DO THIS LADIES!!!!!:wink:
  • karabeccasmith
    Options
    I'm in!! I just bought the DVD so it probably won't be here in time for me to start with you on the first of Sept but as soon as I get it I will start the 30 day challenge! Yay! I am excited! I need motivation! I plan on riding my bike w/child tralier in the morning and doing this DVD in the afternoon. If I could drop 8-10 pounds those 30 days I will be estatic! :bigsmile:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Ladies, please don't hurt yourselves!!!!!! I have this video. I looked for it for weeks because I have read about it and like Jillian. I was dissapointed because I really thought it was going to have a different workout for everyday of the 30 day shred. The least I expected was to have specifics on how to do it and alternate different muscle groups daily. You don't want to work the same muscle groups every day. They need to rest in order to repair and get stronger. I've had the dvd since July and I've only done it about 5 times. Yes, it is good, yes, it is only 20 mins which is great for those people with time constraints or who don't like to exercise for long periods of time. You will not burn mega calories doing just one level. Because there are many reps with light weights I don't think you will burn a lot of cals after you do the workout... The other day I did levels 1 and 2 back to back, I burned 398. That was great and it felt great.

So, since I looked for this dvd for a while and have it I will join this challenge so I can use and not feel that I've wasted my time and money. I will do it every other day and will do two levels at a time. Also I will follow a good nutrition plan, you can't forget about that!! I will do cardio on non-shred days. Good luck to everyone!!! :flowerforyou:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Ladies, please don't hurt yourselves!!!!!! I have this video. I looked for it for weeks because I have read about it and like Jillian. I was dissapointed because I really thought it was going to have a different workout for everyday of the 30 day shred. The least I expected was to have specifics on how to do it and alternate different muscle groups daily. You don't want to work the same muscle groups every day. They need to rest in order to repair and get stronger. I've had the dvd since July and I've only done it about 5 times. Yes, it is good, yes, it is only 20 mins which is great for those people with time constraints or who don't like to exercise for long periods of time. You will not burn mega calories doing just one level. Because there are many reps with light weights I don't think you will burn a lot of cals after you do the workout... The other day I did levels 1 and 2 back to back, I burned 398. That was great and it felt great.

So, since I looked for this dvd for a while and have it I will join this challenge so I can use and not feel that I've wasted my time and money. I will do it every other day and will do two levels at a time. Also I will follow a good nutrition plan, you can't forget about that!! I will do cardio on non-shred days. Good luck to everyone!!! :flowerforyou:

Glad you are in Alf! :flowerforyou:

Don't worry, I don't think anyone will push it too far - we will listen to our bodies!!! I believe the idea of doing it everyday relates to the use of light weights, so obviously if someone uses heavy weights, they should have a day of rest, as with any strength training.

Body for Life also supports the idea of short workouts - especially when strength training is involved, because you continue to burn calories well after the workout is completed - so don't get down on the relatively low number burned during the workout.

Diet - of course, one can't lose weight even if exericising, if you don't create a deficit.

Have a good day everyone!
    :flowerforyou:
  • food_junkie
    Options
    2nd day of the shred challenge for me...totally kicked my butt again. Its starting to become a strange addiction though..like I get this sense of satisfaction when I finish..its kinda cool haha.

Happy Friday everyone!:flowerforyou:
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,697 Member
    Options
    That's right. It does become a strange addiction!
    Just some encouragement for you guys who just started (and feel like you are going to die) and for those who haven't started yet: I've been doing this for two weeks. Not everyday, but 3-4X a week. I'm still on level one (going to level 2 on Monday) and I still sweat and really I don't feel like it gets easier per se but I am doing more (able to kick my butt literally). So maybe in a sense it gets easier. I have noticed a difference in my muscle tone already too. I hate lunges and squats but I like them better when I see the results in my quads.
    Don't be scared. It will hurt but it's a good hurt. It will kick your rear but it will be good for you! I'm excited to see how everyone does on the challenge!
    Melissa
  • JMAMA
    JMAMA Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Just checked my mail, and lo and behold my dvd has arrived! I am thinking about doing it quick while my little one is napping! I will post my measurements and goals monday morning as planned. Also, lets hold each other accountable. I think that is why people who use personal trainers, Weight watchers etc. have such great success rates, because they have to check in with someone and are held responsible for the calories they consume and the exercise they do or don't do. Feel free to put me in my place "Jillian" style if I am not posting and doing this program everyday!!!!! Hope everyone has a safe and fun labor day weekend.

J:flowerforyou:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Mommyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!! I hurt!!! Oh, my gosh-- Level 1-- well, KICKED MY BUTT-- my legs are oatmeal. I can't even walk up and down the stairs-- LOL. I did it for the first time this evening-- we'll see how tomorrow goes.

What a work out-- :noway:
  • emibmas
    emibmas Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    i am going out tomorrow and buying it, so count me in. Starting on the 1st right? I'm excited!
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I GOT IT!!!!!!! :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

I searched WalMart, Target, Circuit City and finally after going back TWICE to Barnes and Noble Bookstore the manager located it in their inventory. :bigsmile:

I searched the Barnes and Noble site online to see if they had Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred DVD in their store in my town. It showed it as being in the actual stores' inventory but when I went to the store to buy it, the sales clerk told me it wasn't in the store. :ohwell:

A few hours later I called the store manager and he found it stocked in an area that was not with the latest health and fitness DVDs. Soooooooo ALL IS GOOD!! :wink:

I watched Levels 1 and 2 last night and will view level 3 today so I can see where I need to be.

Can't wait to go to this fitness party y'all started on Sept. 1st!! :drinker:

~Namaste :flowerforyou:

~Mi
  • food_junkie
    Options
    Day 3 of the shred for me -- I think I was feeling a little crazy this morning or maybe just bored..but I decided to try level 2...mannnnnn..it was crazy but in a good way. I think I'm going to alternate between L1 and L2 for like 2 weeks to help with boredom and then maybe up it to L3..overall a good workout..I've been sore every day since I've started!

Have a good weekend everyone!
  • Marla64
    Options
    I am in PAIN today. LOL. But, how kooky-- I've been running and doing step aerobics and haven't had any discomfort-- this feels good. We'll see if I can manage DAY TWO of it--
  • lisarae
    lisarae Posts: 113
    Options
    Let me tell you. I've been on level 3 for 3 days and it is EVIL EVIL EVIL. However, I'm proud of how far I've come in 22 days. I haven't lost 20 pounds, but I know I've lost at least 5 (past ED). And boy, do I look so much more toned. I'm going to religiously devote at least another month to this everyday and then I will do it every other day. I cannot believe how much I sweat!

Anyone else who has an HRM know how many calories they are burning? I don't have one....(btw, I am 148 pounds and 5'4''.) I do know the weight and strength part are helping me torch more calories through the day. :happy:
  • food_junkie
    Options
    Let me tell you. I've been on level 3 for 3 days and it is EVIL EVIL EVIL. However, I'm proud of how far I've come in 22 days. I haven't lost 20 pounds, but I know I've lost at least 5 (past ED). And boy, do I look so much more toned. I'm going to religiously devote at least another month to this everyday and then I will do it every other day. I cannot believe how much I sweat!

Anyone else who has an HRM know how many calories they are burning? I don't have one....(btw, I am 148 pounds and 5'4''.) I do know the weight and strength part are helping me torch more calories through the day. :happy:

Wow I would LOOOOVE to lose 5 lbs in a month..so kudos to you! Anyway I wear a HRM when I do the work out and it says I burn around 200 calories..which is pretty darn good for 20 min! I've read of people burning less..I think it depends on your level of fitness because it still KILLS me hahaha..I think once my level of fitness goes up I'll burn less.

Happy Shredding! :laugh:
  • natalie424
    natalie424 Posts: 320
    Options
    I'm ready to start this challenge on Monday... My goal is 8 pounds in September!
  • Canelitas
    Canelitas Posts: 712
    Options
    Yay....I just got my DVD .... I'm ready for Monday! :drinker:
  • Marla64
    Options

Wow I would LOOOOVE to lose 5 lbs in a month..so kudos to you! Anyway I wear a HRM when I do the work out and it says I burn around 200 calories..which is pretty darn good for 20 min! I've read of people burning less..I think it depends on your level of fitness because it still KILLS me hahaha..I think once my level of fitness goes up I'll burn less.

Happy Shredding! :laugh:

This is good to know-- I put in 20 minutes of high impact aerobics, per the exercise database, and it have me a figure of 192 cals burned. I'm so sore today, but I'm heading to do it-- if you don't hear from me again, you'll know why-- :wink:
  • girldeese
    girldeese Posts: 132
    Options
    I'm in.....I'd be over the moon to be at my goal by then...right before the Marine Corps Ball in Vegas with my husband!! I'll get on ordering it right now!:wink: