who are you voting for?

Options

Replies

• debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    First I want to say "Yeah MFPers!" We're on page four of a political thread and there has been no nastiness! :flowerforyou:

I'm voting McCain. I don't agree with all of his ideas, but he more closely represents my values. It doesn't really matter which party is a part of. I want to vote for some one to represent ME. Out of the choices, McCain is the one.
  • vegasmellie
    vegasmellie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I was leaning mostly towards Obama, but McCain's pick for VP had me RUN towards Obama.

I would say more, but in the interest of keeping this friendly, I'll hold my tongue.
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    I just hate figuring out who the lesser of two evils is...they did this to us 4 years ago....grr lol:noway:

What do you have against both of them? I see lots of opinions but as far as why??? I'd love to hear someone doing some McCain vs. Obama. Anyone?

Princess
    I'm doing a LOT of research. I go through all their voting records - not what they say they will do. I've noticed a lot of misinformation out there. I'm doing a spreadsheet and comparing. I am also comparing when they change their stance on an issue, and why. I also have a column on how well I understand the issue and how strongly I feel about it. However, I also have my oral preliminary exam a few days before the election so most of the comparisons will be done at after that point...

I'm not a huge fan of either candidate.

However, I researched McCain before I moved to this state (I'm in his district) and I didn't like his voting record when I checked it out two years ago...I have not yet checked into Obama's voting record so I can't say if I will like it any better. I have not checked into McCain's records since two years ago, perhaps he's changed. I have not decided yet, but hours and days of research and thought will go into it.
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Initially I wanted Huckabee, but was going to support McCain. Now with Sarah Palin in the mix, they have my COMPLETE and TOTAL support. I like Sarah because everything I've heard/read about her matches very closely with my own beliefs and values. I could go on and on about every single issue but this forum was simply to list a choice so there's mine. :tongue: Honestly, I haven't been this excited about an election since my very first.... I turned 18 in '92 and voted for..... Perot. :blushing:

The important thing is to VOTE.... just don't vote "present" :laugh: sorry couldn't help myself.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I really struggled with who to vote for as neither one of them really impressed me especially Obama. And I felt like if I voted for any other candidate, my vote would pretty much be for naught because to me it's obvious our next president is going to be either McCain or Obama. Since I couldn't bear to not vote and leave my future up to everyone else to vote, I finally decided to go with McCain. He just shares more of my values than Obama does. Then when McCain chose his running mate, I knew I had made the right choice. I'd vote for Sarah Palin for president!
  • mommared53
    Options
    Initially I wanted Huckabee, but was going to support McCain. Now with Sarah Palin in the mix, they have my COMPLETE and TOTAL support. I like Sarah because everything I've heard/read about her matches very closely with my own beliefs and values. I could go on and on about every single issue but this forum was simply to list a choice so there's mine. :tongue: Honestly, I haven't been this excited about an election since my very first.... I turned 18 in '92 and voted for..... Perot. :blushing:

The important thing is to VOTE.... just don't vote "present" :laugh: sorry couldn't help myself.

Awww, she does a mom proud! :bigsmile:
  • mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    Options
    I really care about our impact on the environment and look forward to seeing change and a president I have faith and hope in. I dont see any other option than Obama. It scares the crap out of me that McCain could get elected and I have never felt so strongly about an election. I am so ready for change and for decisions to start being made that stop the problems that have been created. And if we dont pursue alternative energies we are gonna regret it and I feel we owe it to future generations. I want someone who thinks about the future and the whole picture and considers their actions.

I have worked as a therapist with veterns with PTSD and when you do that kind of work, there is no way you can not want a president who explores every option before a war. I hope Obama is that person.
  • faythe
    faythe Posts: 245
    Options
    I've felt really good about Obama from the start, I can't really explain it. What he stood for just sang to me. In my relatively unbiased opinion, it's time for a new, fresh face with new, fresh ideas so that our country can have a new, fresh start. I'm very literally afraid to vote McCain because I fear that it will mean furthering the problems of America (the war, gas prices, sources of alternative, job opportunities/economy, etc.), not solving them.

There is what Wikipedia has to say about their stances on various issues: (I chose Wikipedia to avoid bias)

JOHN MCCAIN

" The two political issues that voters have been most concerned about in 2008 are the economy and Iraq.[233] On the economy, McCain says he would make the Bush tax cuts permanent instead of letting them expire, he would eliminate the Alternative Minimum Tax so as to assist the middle-class, he would double the personal exemption for dependents, reduce the corporate tax rate, and offer a new research and development tax credit.[234][235] At the same time, he pledges to eliminate pork-barrel spending, freeze nondefense discretionary spending for a year or more, and reduce Medicare growth.[235] McCain is also opposed to high salaries and lucrative severance deals of corporate CEOs.[235][236] Another proposal of the Arizona senator is to build 45 new nuclear reactors by 2030, in order to fight climate change and establish U.S. energy independence.[237]

On Iraq, McCain's goal is that by 2013 most of the servicemen and women will have returned, the Iraq War will have been won, and Iraq will be a functioning democracy, "although still suffering from the lingering effects of decades of tyranny and centuries of sectarian tension." McCain expects that by 2013, there will still be violence, but at a much-reduced level, and without American troops in a direct combat role.[238][239] " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McCain#Political_positions

SARAH PALIN

" Palin has called herself as "pro-life as any candidate can be."[44] She would permit abortion only in cases where the mother's life is in danger,[101] and supports mandatory parental consent for abortions.[102] Palin is a member of Feminists for Life.[103] Palin has been described as supportive of contraception.[44] She backs abstinence-only education and is against "explicit sex-ed programs" in schools.[104][105][106]

Palin supports capital punishment.[107]

Palin opposes same-sex marriage[44] and supported a non-binding referendum for a constitutional amendment to deny state health benefits to same-sex couples.[108]

Palin has said she supports teaching both creationism and evolution in public schools, but not to the extent of adding creation-based alternatives to the required curriculum.[109]

Palin has strongly promoted oil and natural gas resource development in Alaska, including in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR).[47] She has opposed federal listing of the polar bear as an endangered species warning that it would adversely affect energy development in Alaska. [66] Palin does not believe that global warming is human-caused.[50]

Palin, a long-time member of the National Rifle Association, strongly supports its interpretation of the Second Amendment as protecting individual rights to bear arms, including handguns. She also supports gun safety education for youth.[110]

Palin's foreign policy positions were unclear at the time she was picked as McCain's running mate.[111] When asked for her views about troop escalations in Iraq, she replied "…while I support our president, Condoleezza Rice and the administration, I want to know that we have an exit plan in place…"[112][113] " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Palin#Political_positions

I'm sorry that this is so long. :blushing:
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I really struggled with who to vote for as neither one of them really impressed me especially Obama. And I felt like if I voted for any other candidate, my vote would pretty much be for naught because to me it's obvious our next president is going to be either McCain or Obama. Since I couldn't bear to not vote and leave my future up to everyone else to vote, I finally decided to go with McCain. He just shares more of my values than Obama does. Then when McCain chose his running mate, I knew I had made the right choice. I'd vote for Sarah Palin for president!

I would too!! And it sounds like a good plan. Let's face it, while a lot of president's are two-term pres., we all know that if McCain wins, he would only serve one term. Which means Palin will have had enough experience by then to run for presidency herself next term (*crossing fingers*). Wouldn't it be interesting to see Hillary and Palin run against each other? WHOAH! I try not talking politics at all, with anyone, but just had to put my two-cents in on this one.

BTW - I felt exactly the same about struggling with who to vote for too and came up with the same ending as you.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    I think America is asking for problems if McCain is not voted for president.

My husband is military and I am not good at bashing opinions. But read up on the candidates. Pick your priorities and make a smart choice. There is nothing worse than voting for someone because you think it is the "in" choice.

mccain-white-house1.jpg

Can I get an AMEN?

Can I get a turkey on rye?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Okay THAT was funny....and now I'm hungry so make that two please!!!:tongue:
  • jill927
    jill927 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'd vote for Nader, if I though he had more than a snowball's chance in hell at winning. Sad.

Out of the how many million people in the US are Barack Obama (who I'll vote for) and John McCain (whom I deeply respect) the best we can come up with? Seriously?
  • faythe
    faythe Posts: 245
    Options
    I've felt really good about Obama from the start, I can't really explain it. What he stood for just sang to me. In my relatively unbiased opinion, it's time for a new, fresh face with new, fresh ideas so that our country can have a new, fresh start. I'm very literally afraid to vote McCain because I fear that it will mean furthering the problems of America (the war, gas prices, sources of alternative, job opportunities/economy, etc.), not solving them.

There is what Wikipedia has to say about their stances on various issues: (I chose Wikipedia to avoid bias)

BARACK OBAMA

" In November 2006, Obama called for a "phased redeployment of U.S. troops from Iraq" and an opening of diplomatic dialogue with Syria and Iran.[115] In a March 2007 speech to AIPAC, a pro-Israel lobby, he said that the primary way to prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons is through talks and diplomacy, although not ruling out military action.[116] Obama has indicated that he would engage in "direct presidential diplomacy" with Iran without preconditions.[117][118][119] Detailing his strategy for fighting global terrorism in August 2007, Obama said "it was a terrible mistake to fail to act" against a 2005 meeting of al-Qaeda leaders that U.S. intelligence had confirmed to be taking place in Pakistan's Federally Administered Tribal Areas. He said that as president he would not miss a similar opportunity, even without the support of the Pakistani government.[120]

In a December 2005 Washington Post opinion column, and at the Save Darfur rally in April 2006, Obama called for more assertive action to oppose genocide in the Darfur region of Sudan.[121] He has divested $180,000 in personal holdings of Sudan-related stock, and has urged divestment from companies doing business in Iran.[122] In the July–August 2007 issue of Foreign Affairs, Obama called for an outward looking post-Iraq War foreign policy and the renewal of American military, diplomatic, and moral leadership in the world. Saying "we can neither retreat from the world nor try to bully it into submission," he called on Americans to "lead the world, by deed and by example."[123]

In economic affairs, in April 2005, he defended the New Deal social welfare policies of Franklin D. Roosevelt and opposed Republican proposals to establish private accounts for Social Security.[124] In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, Obama spoke out against government indifference to growing economic class divisions, calling on both political parties to take action to restore the social safety net for the poor.[125] Shortly before announcing his presidential campaign, Obama said he supports universal healthcare in the United States.[126] Obama proposes to reward teachers for performance from traditional merit pay systems, assuring unions that changes would be pursued through the collective bargaining process.[127]

In September 2007, he blamed special interests for distorting the U.S. tax code.[128] His plan would eliminate taxes for senior citizens with incomes of less than $50,000 a year, repeal income tax cuts for those making over $250,000 as well as the capital gains and dividends tax cut,[129] close corporate tax loopholes, lift the income cap on Social Security taxes, restrict offshore tax havens, and simplify filing of income tax returns by pre-filling wage and bank information already collected by the IRS.[130] Announcing his presidential campaign's energy plan in October 2007, Obama proposed a cap and trade auction system to restrict carbon emissions and a 10 year program of investments in new energy sources to reduce U.S. dependence on imported oil.[131] Obama proposed that all pollution credits must be auctioned, with no grandfathering of credits for oil and gas companies, and the spending of the revenue obtained on energy development and economic transition costs.[132]

Obama has encouraged Democrats to reach out to evangelicals and other religious groups.[133] In December 2006, he joined Sen. Sam Brownback (R-KS) at the "Global Summit on AIDS and the Church" organized by church leaders Kay and Rick Warren.[134] Together with Warren and Brownback, Obama took an HIV test, as he had done in Kenya less than four months earlier.[135] He encouraged "others in public life to do the same" and not be ashamed of it.[136] Before the conference, 18 anti-abortion groups published an open letter stating, in reference to Obama's support for legal abortion: "In the strongest possible terms, we oppose Rick Warren's decision to ignore Senator Obama's clear pro-death stance and invite him to Saddleback Church anyway."[137] Addressing over 8,000 United Church of Christ members in June 2007, Obama challenged "so-called leaders of the Christian Right" for being "all too eager to exploit what divides us."[138]

A method that political scientists use for gauging ideology is to compare the annual ratings by the Americans for Democratic Action (ADA) with the ratings by the American Conservative Union (ACU).[139] Based on his years in Congress, Obama has a lifetime average conservative rating of 7.67% from the ACU,[140] and a lifetime average liberal rating of 90% from the ADA.[141] " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obama_Barack#Political_positions

Again, this is about as unbiased as I could find for information on their various political positions.
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    I just hate figuring out who the lesser of two evils is...they did this to us 4 years ago....grr lol:noway:

What do you have against both of them? I see lots of opinions but as far as why??? I'd love to hear someone doing some McCain vs. Obama. Anyone?

Princess
    I'm doing a LOT of research. I go through all their voting records - not what they say they will do. I've noticed a lot of misinformation out there. I'm doing a spreadsheet and comparing. I am also comparing when they change their stance on an issue, and why. I also have a column on how well I understand the issue and how strongly I feel about it. However, I also have my oral preliminary exam a few days before the election so most of the comparisons will be done at after that point...

I'm not a huge fan of either candidate.

However, I researched McCain before I moved to this state (I'm in his district) and I didn't like his voting record when I checked it out two years ago...I have not yet checked into Obama's voting record so I can't say if I will like it any better. I have not checked into McCain's records since two years ago, perhaps he's changed. I have not decided yet, but hours and days of research and thought will go into it.

Does Obama have a record? Wasn't he only in office a few months before he declared his candidacy? I think I read somewhere that he's actually only had 143 days at work in the Senate. Given his age, I'm curious if he's actually stuck around long enough anywhere to form a record. Seems like he's an official campaigner. I may be wrong but that's what it appears to on the surface.

http://obamasresume.org/

Here is the link to the US Senate Legislation and Records
    http://www.senate.gov/pagelayout/legislative/a_three_sections_with_teasers/votes.htm

There is lots of information out there, it just takes hours and hours and hours to get past all the inaccuracies and misinformation. I try to go to the source as often as possible. But now I really need to go study chemistry and ignore politics for awhile.:smile:
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I really want to like Obama. I've been trying to like him for the past year because his speeches are so intriguing....but I can't like him. I feel like his speeches have little substance and rely fully on charisma.
    I'm a moderate with both liberal views and conservative views but my vote must go to McCain/Palin.

I love Joe Biden (even though he's kind of a jerk) I think he's brilliant and that made me rethink my vote for McCain, but I will be extremely unhappy if I have to watch Barack Obama speak nonsense for the next 4 years.

Since our congress is deeply democratic, I believe that in order to keep the "checks and balances" system that democracy is founded upon, we need a republican in the oval office.

I'm also tired of my "intellectual" friends telling me that their vote goes to Obama because their parents are republicans and they don't want to end up like them....I feel like that's who Obama appeals to, and that creeps me out.

....don't hate me.
  • mommared53
    Options

I would too!! And it sounds like a good plan. Let's face it, while a lot of president's are two-term pres., we all know that if McCain wins, he would only serve one term. Which means Palin will have had enough experience by then to run for presidency herself next term (*crossing fingers*). Wouldn't it be interesting to see Hillary and Palin run against each other? WHOAH! I try not talking politics at all, with anyone, but just had to put my two-cents in on this one.

BTW - I felt exactly the same about struggling with who to vote for too and came up with the same ending as you.

That's so funny! I had to take a second look at your avatar because you sound just like my daughter. Seriously, she mentioned the exact same thing to me yesterday.
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Palin / whoever 2012!! :happy:
  • jamie77
    jamie77 Posts: 101
    Options
    I think America is asking for problems if McCain is not voted for president.

My husband is military and I am not good at bashing opinions. But read up on the candidates. Pick your priorities and make a smart choice. There is nothing worse than voting for someone because you think it is the "in" choice.

My hubby is military, too, but we think just the opposite. That's what makes America so great...the right to differing opinions!:smile:

Do you and your husband keep up on Obama's views on where he wants the military go go in the next few years? And where is his patriotism? Have you read the information on his "patriotic views." I'm not debating at all, but I seem to not see anyone (here there or otherwise) on people giving me reasons to vote for or against the candidates. Does this make sense?

My ex husband was in the military, spent a year in Iraq, and we have both done extensive research..(I won't go into for obvious reasons), but we will, without a doubt, both be voting for Obama.
    I think people don't debate it, because it usually turns ugly and causes ill will. There are too many people out there that can't debate a topic and keep to the realization that every AMERICAN has a right to his own opinions and beliefs.
  • mommared53
    Options
    Palin / whoever 2012!! :happy:

WOOHOO!! :bigsmile:
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options

That's so funny! I had to take a second look at your avatar because you sound just like my daughter. Seriously, she mentioned the exact same thing to me yesterday.

HA! You know, great minds and all that. :wink:
This discussion has been closed.