WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY

Options

Replies

• jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Prayers to those of you who need them as you face the loss of loved ones and health issues for either yourselves or your family.:heart:

Welcome to all the new comers and welcome back to those who have been away from the forum for a while. This is such a great group of ladies it is really amazing to even think about it.

Things were so hectic this morning that I forgot my gym bag; DS forgot his lunch and we missed the carpool. Still as odd as it looked, I went to the gym in my work clothes and did the best workout I could. lol 30 minutes on a bike and 15 minutes of circuit machines. Luckily, it was after work, so I didn't have to worry about smelling up the office.

Jeannie

PS: To all of you who remember my saga of how we got up to 3 cats over the holiday - I am happy to say that all 3 cats can be in the same room now without too much trouble. As long as they are all on different pieces of furniture they are happy to be in the same room as the wood stove when the weather is cold and the house is chilly. Hubby, the cat hater, is adjusting very well to having 3 of them. :laugh:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Mary - I can hear how frustrated you are about your water situation. You are in my thoughts. I know how horrible it can be to be without water, so you have my full condolences. Just think how wonderful it'll be when you do get water!

Jeannie - thanks for all your suggestions about the Wii. I've changed the batteries, not just in the remote (the thing you keep in your hand) but also the ones in the board. Haven't moved the box, usually do it with shoes on but that's nothing new. The most frustrating thing is that my scores are dramatically lower, from 3,000 spins to 300. That's why I'm thinking that when you get to a certain number of spins, perhaps the game automatically goes to a more difficult level. Yet, I'd kind of like to go back to the old settings since I could hula hoop for the full 10 minutes and work up a sweat.

I usually weigh in on Saturday morning.

Did about 15 min of yoga today and then an hour of the deep water. Tomorrow I'll do a weight DVD at home since I have a meeting at 10:00 but before that I need to go get my car looked at. The motor mount needs to be replaced and they just need to get the number off the old motor mount. After the meeting, I'm thinking that I'll do a bit of food shopping.

Marilyn - so sorry for all the sadness you've been experiencing lately.

Vince and I went to the Humane Society the other day to volunteer. We were really happy that this one cat was adopted. She's the absolute sweetest thing, but get her near another cat and the claws come out. Unfortunately, almost every cat that they have there has a note on its cage "take out alone" meaning it doesn't get along well with other cats. There is one cat there that is absolutely gorgeous, but there's a note that it could get mean. Two of the cats came in with eye infections, one of them lost his eye and his brother has a spot on his eyeball. The brother has an adoption pending. I would take the cat without the eyeball, but he's all black and I'm so afraid that I'm not over the loss of Sadie that I'd inadvertently expect him to act like Sadie. Really, we probably will get another cat (or two) when we get back from Florida and know that we'll be home for a while. We'd like to take in an older cat. Most people want the cute kittens, the older cats are harder to get to adopt. Well...we shall see

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • caminogirl
    caminogirl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sugar and carbs like bread and cookies are my downfall too. Really I overindulged this past holiday - right up to the middle of January when enough was enough. When even the 'fat' jeans don't fit it is time to do something drastic. Drastic this time was Phase 1 of South Beach and was it ever successful! Now I'm introducing back the whole grains - very slowly - and the fruits as well. It seems to be working but I know, sadly, that my favorite things can really only be a rare treat and not an everyday treat! It's just that I love cookies so much!!! :cry:

As for weigh-in day, I go for Monday's as it keeps Sunday's honest!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Michelle,

I have nothing better to do tonight, so I decided to do a little searching to see what I could find out about your Wii Hula Hoop problem. I found a website, called fixya. Can't tell if they charge for advice or not, but if you are interested in checking it out, here is a link that should take you to the right area:

http://www.fixya.com/tags/wii_fit_hula_hoop

BTW, sounds like you are closer to getting another cat. Meanwhile, I am sure all those adoptable kitties appreciate your efforts.

Marilyn, Sorry to hear of your recent losses.

Mary, I am thinking positive thoughts about your water situation. At least you can get bottled water for drinking and cooking, but cleaning and bathing is another story. At least you have your electricity!! But nevertheless, I am hoping your water will be fixed soon.

BTW, don't you think a plumber who can't climb under the house because of a bad knee is a little like a car that shouldn't be driven because it has no brakes??:noway: :wink:

To those discussing the problems with sugar, I can only say that my experiences over December and January have shown me that I need to avoid sugar and processed carbs altogether, or face the prospect of feeling cravings for them late in the day. I am sticking to whole grain bread--minus any high fructose corn syrup; old-fashioned oatmeal; brown and wild rice; lentils & split peas; fresh or frozen veggies; lean protein;fresh or frozen peaches and strawberries; blueberries--fresh whenever possible. I also make sure I get mono-unsaturated fatty acids with each meal or snack. That would be nuts, flaxseed oil;,avocados, natural almond or peanut butter. It is nice to sit in the evening and not feel the need to "graze" late at night. I confess to an occasional glass of pinot noir.

Hope you are all having a good evening. I am getting sleepy, so time to call it a night.

Barb
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Michelle, is it only the hula hoop game where scores are drastically lower than before? IF its all games, then take a look at the sensor... mine was on a stand under the tv and it got jiggled out of place when SOMEONE dusted... someone else of course.:laugh: ..
    Might just need jiggling back, or might need setting up again.
  • icubsn98
    icubsn98 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Good morning to everyone. I wish I could break away from the scale. I seen where many of you weigh in once a week or less. I find myself getting on the stupid thing everytime I go by it almost. However, I only mentally record the weight and then write it down weekly. Sure is frustrating though to work so hard at trying to make a change and see no difference.

Mary--congrats on the weight loss. I all too well know how it is to not see that. Also hope you have gotten the water issue fixed by now.

Marilyn- my condolences on your recent loss.

Michelle, I have the WII fit and I must say if I hula hooped for over ten minutes straight, I think I would die. That game kills my abdomen (probably why I need to do it more). Completely impressed that you were getting in the 1000's my best score EVER was 386.

My we all seem to have a sweet tooth. I ate an entire coconut custard pie by myself once...just by having "a little sliver"..of course, I kept having little slivers all day everytime I passed it until the plate was empty. I don't keep anything like that in the house. I used to go buy things for when the grandkids came over, but even now, their only option at my home for a snack will be fresh fruit, nuts, or perhaps a cheese stick.

Cute story, I have a nine year old cocker who weighs 20# and a nine month old Doberman who weighs 70#. They love each other dearly and wherever one is the other is soon to be. I was trying to do abdominal bridges this morning using the fitness ball. So I had rolled off the ball so only my shoulders rested there and I was supporting my core by keeping it in a taught line. The cocker thought under me would be a great place to lay down and the Dobe pup figured my belly looked like a comfy place to sit. It was a bit of added weight to support her 70# along with mine until I could coax the cocker out from under me,

Spent the morning working on me, now off to earn a living. Happy Tuesday everyone
  • Connie48
    Connie48 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I haven't been on here much lately and was wondering what happened to the 50+ thread I joined before the holidays. Was so happy to see it this AM. I spent January undoing so much of the "good" that I did October through late November. I lost 9 lbs, finally ingrained some good eating habits but around mid December I started slowly getting off track, kept telling myself I"d get back on track "soon" next thing I know January is over and I"ve gained back every stinkin' pound! Febuary has found me carrying my diet journal and entering my food again. Its such a pain but keeping a food journal is the only thing that keeps me on track. I don't have time to be on MFP logging food everyday, so the journal I carry around helps.

Hope everyone is staying warm!
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,
    As promised I am posting and recording food. Day 2 and I am doing well. It is amazing how one day without sugar and bad carbs can make me feel so much better. I went from not wanting to do anything at all to not being able to sit still for very long. That is after just one day. Hopefully this time I can be a Barbie and take it off for good and keep it off. This time I caught it before I went completly crazy but still gained back more than I wanted to. But I WILL do it. I KNOW I can. Hope all of you have a great day. I need to work on self-motivation. I do fine with a partner or with others but alone I have trouble getting started. I will try to pop in later.
    Vicki M
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies

Just popped in to say that I'm doing well with both food and exercise - less well with the internet! Still can't get connected at home. Managing to read all the posts via my iphone and sending love to each of you. I'll be glad when we get our new provider sorted.

Picked DH up from Heathrow airport and the first thing he said to me was 'You look thin!' ... I love him!! It's good to have him back home.

Catch up with you all later.

Happy healthy Tuesday.

Amanda x
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I weigh on Monday because it seems to keep me honest on the weekend! Working so far!
    I think it's one of those things that everyone has to figure out what works for them. Mondays work for me too but now that I'm in maintenance, it probably really doesn't matter.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I seen where many of you weigh in once a week or less. I find myself getting on the stupid thing everytime I go by it almost.
    I weigh every day but only in the morning after peeing and before dressing. :laugh: I figure, if I get on the scale at random times, I'm going to get random weights. But doing it at a consistent time and consistent circumstances helps filter out some of the noise. I only record on Monday in most places (MFP, another ticker I have) but on the BodyMedia FIT site, I record every weight I get if it's different from the day before. (So I won't record 120 two days in row, but I'll do 120 and 119 and then back up to 120 again.)
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Afternoon Ladies:
    Just got over superbowl and eating things I normally don't eat.
    Struggling with a plateau and joined the Valentine Challenge which
    is going slow but is going and that will be done soon and then the St. Patrick's Day
    challenge starts. I hope that goes better for me.
    My mother-in law went to Florida with a friend for about three weeks until her friends'
    brother passed away so she will be heading back home for that.
    Things here are going well but can't wait for my vacation in April to Florida too.
    This weather is really getting too much for all of us, the shoveling and driving in this stuff.
    Spring can't come too soon. :tongue:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Michelle, there are also reset instructions that you can use for the Wii. I forget if it was in the manual or if I found them on the web. I know I did have to reset once since we got it. BTW- adult cats are getting harder and harder to find homes for. I hope you find a cat or two when you get back.

Tomorrow is my check in day and it won't be good. I have been slightly over on calories for a while now. Not being able to exercise everyday is making an impact on how I was doing. My parents are just keeping me hopping too much. I did exercise yesterday and today, so maybe things will get back to normal again for a while.

NM is getting hit with another big storm. We may get another foot of snow. It looks like I took the blanket off the horses a few days too soon.

Take care all,

Jeannie
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Barb - thanks ever so much for looking up the Wii problem of mine. I'll certainly check it out.
    Update: Just called Nintendo. They're going to be sending me new foot extensions. If that doesn't solve the problem, it may have to go in for repair.
    Thank you again.

Yes, I do think we're going to get another cat or two. But I would like an older cat (maybe a year or so). People want the adorable little kittens and sometimes the older cats stay at the Humane Society for a long time. I wouldn't at all mind one that was physically deformed. It's just that the one they have right now with just one eye is all black, and I'm so afraid that I'd expect the same of him as I did of Sadie, and that's not fair to the cat. Now if he was gray or tan.......

Barb (auntibk) - I had to laugh when you mentioned about the sensor on the Wii. Mainly because I can't remember the last time I dusted in my exercise room :) It seems to be only the hula hoop game where my scores are so drastically different.

You know, I used to have a really sweet tooth, and carbs were my absolute downfall. Ever since we went to Paris, tho, where the desserts aren't ultra-sweet and the bread is SOOOOOOOOOOOO good, I don't have any desire for breads here or sweets. Now chocolates...THAT'S a different story! That's funny how your dogs were "helping" you exercise. I get lots of "help" from my cats.

Dumb question and I know that I'm only asking because I'm too lazy to search for the answer myself, does anyone know if MFP has an app for a Droid?

Today (Tues) I did an hour of weight DVD and about 15 min of yoga. Tomorrow we have a Newcomers meeting (the first meeting where Vince is the treasurer and I'm in charge of hospitality), I'm thinking that I'll do walking on the treadmill. Temporarily they've taken away the spin bike that I used because they got new bikes for one branch and the branch by me got the old ones. They need to be "spruced up" before they can be used (not sure exactly why), but I did find out that at another branch they have a few of the old bikes and after they are maintenanced, they can be used by the members (not that a lot of members use them). I also found out that the branch by me is getting one of those stairsteppers that's like a set of moving stairs. They're getting a refurbished one. At least they're getting one.

Better go take a shower. Hope everyone has a great night.

Michele
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Hello All,

Icubs--Got a kick out of your description of your exercise "helpers." Before you joined our group, Barbiecat coined a new term "Pooga"--which is "yoga with poodles" LOL

Lynn, I am glad your headache is gone.

Have a good evening everyone. I don't have time to respond to everyone right now.

Barb
  • mrsanderson404
    Options
    tried spaghetti squash for the first time.....LOVE IT!!! I can have my pasta sauce and veggies too! I will have to plan a bit further in advance as I can usually get a spaghetti dinner with jarred sauce on the table in 30 minutes.....the squash takes almost an hour in the oven so just need to jump on it sooner!
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Good Evening 50+
    After a scary Sunday of eats, I was very surprised to see a nice drop in weight today. Friday is my prefered weigh-in day, but that's slowly changing. It's just getting too difficult to get past the next 3 days without undoing everything. For the month of February I'm going to focus on Tuesdays....

Boy, I spoke too soon...after a couple of days in the mid-70s, I thought we were over and done with winter! The temp dropped 40 degrees in just over an hour, and the freeze is making it's way to Austin. We actually had enough snow last week for the kids to have a snow day off from school....they spent hours sledding/slidding down the steep hill outback. Naturally, it had all melted by early evening. What's expected tonight/tomorrow won't be as pretty, but it could mean a late start...that's always good by them :happy:

For the longest time, I have desperately tried to lower my salt intake...4 meds for blood pressure! Now, finally after a lifetime of over salting, I'm having much success lowering/cutting the salt out of many foods. And wouldn't you know it! I'm starting to revive my sweet tooth! :noway: I never really struggled w/a sweet tooth, except for the rare and occasional extra moist double chocolate cake :love: Now I'm feeling those craving swing back this way! Ugh :frown:

Mixed some organic almonds in with the Creme Bruelle Almonds tonight...gotta get rid of craziness!

Hope everyone's keeping warm and getting some exercise in :flowerforyou:
    I love all the furry friend stories :happy: Our 3 have a collective weight of 200lbs :happy: The stooges, they are!

Gonna give BodyPump a go 2mrw! Hope I survive :sad:
    mj
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Michele, you asked about how I know how many calories I've burned. It's a system that has developed over the two years I've been posting on MFP and it probably isn't scientific but it has worked for me....I used pedometer that told me how many calories I burned based on my weight and the pace of the walk, I looked up calories burned for certain activities using several different websites and probably averaging them....for some odd activities I estimated the effort I expended based on the effort for other activities with known calories burns and set up my own custom exercises on MFP putting in the calories per minute that I'd estimated. Since I've lost weight consistently with these estimations, I've continued to use them.......it's all based on "if it works, don't fix it"

:flowerforyou: When I ride my exercise bike I usually watch TV and recently I wondered if I was really getting a cardio workout.....this morning I tried to carry on a conversation with my hubby while riding and discovered that I was getting a great workout because I could barely talk to him

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Michelle,

You asked if there is an app for Android--YES!!! To find it, go to the Tools tab and then click the link under mobile apps that directs you to more information, and you can download it from there. I think you need to access the page with the phone in order to download it.

BTW, I pulled an interesting waffle recipe off the Rachael Ray tv show website. Today, 2/8, she did a ham and cheese waffle. The recipe called for buckwheat pancake mix, but I used my low fat baking mix and cut the measurements in half to make a smaller batch. I love my little waffle iron that makes two squares at a time, and haven't used it in a long time, so I make ham and cheese waffles for dinner, and ate them with an over easy egg--very tasty, and it enabled me to use up the last of the ham I had before it had to be tossed. The recipe calls for Gruyère cheese, but you can use other cheese. I used cheddar and Asiago,and it was just fine. I also didn't use melted butter, but a splash of oil instead. I used Mrs. Dash Herb and Garlic seasoning.

This makes a good brunch item, and was a nice "breakfast for dinner" option as well. Just use the recipe as a guide and create your own. I am going to try veggie and cheese next time, when I have some leftover cooked veggies. As long as they are already cooked, and cut in small pieces, I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

Good night all.

Barb
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies

I'm suffering today. My arthritis in my knee is having a major flare up at present so I'm having to cut back on the exercise somewhat.

I went shopping this morning and ended up buying myself three coats! A leather jacket, a raincoat and a 'smart coat'. They were all reduced in price and I couldn't resist them. A year ago I wouldn't have been able to get anything in my size and now I'm able to buy anything I want. I also bought some thermal underwear from a sportshop - in the children's section! It was about a quarter of the price that I would have paid for the adult version. I really need that extra layer these days - feeling the cold is one of the downsides of losing so much weight.

My date for my heart valve replacement surgery is March 25th. It's a scary prospect, but I am so much healthier and more fit for the surgery now. My surgeon is the same guy who did my dad's quadruple heart bypass op. He's brilliant, so I will be in good hands. That doesn't stop me from being nervous of course, but positivity is important.

I'm going to start getting some books together to take in to hospital with me as I'll be there for about a week. My DH is going to have control of my mobile phone for the first few days and I'm going to try to get him to log in to MFP for me, but I have to accept that he is likely to forget and will have to go back to a zero log-in days. Not the worst thing that could happen, but annoying.

Time to get some moving done.

Have a good day everyone. Savour every mouthful and drink your water.

Love

Amanda x