WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Here’s the happy ending to the ferret story.
    I was sure that none of my neighbors (three houses in every direction) had a ferret, but just to be sure, I looked to see if anyone had posted a notice on the bank of mailboxes that we share…..no luck. The next day when Jake was walking the dogs past the house next door, he saw a sign in front with a picture of the ferret and a notice that he was lost. It turns out that the guy next door had his oldest daughter visiting and she brought the ferret. Jake told him about finding the ferret and taking him to PETCO. The happy ending is that they contacted PETCO and got the ferret back.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:bigsmile: Hubby's back is much better after his visit to the chiropractor and a day of ice and rest.....now he is busy again cleaning and packing......the real estate agent will be here at 1 PM on Sunday to take interior photos for the multiple listing on the internet and on Monday morning someone is coming to look at the house.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:cry: Jeannie, I am sorry to hear about your son.......I hope he will be able to get the help he needs.

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: no time for individual posts, but I did read everything.

Happy weekend to all:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    Amanda, your son-in-law's sister is in my thoughts and prayers. What a tough, tough situation.

Barbie, I'm glad Jake's back is better. It sounds like everything's under control.

I did more work on my future space today. In addition to working on clearing out my space (moving lots of stuff - Barbie, I can empathize), I watched 4 of my grandkids...until 8 pm. Honestly, they were awful. :noway: The two boys did nothing but argue with each other and they all took turns getting hurt (mostly hurt feelings).

At one point, I'd sent all the kids out to the van to go up to the other house. My 6-year-old DGD was the straggler. When she got to the van, she didn't see anyone. She got in the van and 11-year-old DGS leaped out and said, "Boo." DGD screamed then sobbed. Urghhhh!!!! At least DGS felt badly and apologized profusely.

This was a full week, with five days of babysitting. That's two too many for me. I'm so glad I can see them off at the end of the day. I do love them (to pieces) but enough was enough - and more than enough - today.

One of the nice moments of the day was walking up our lane with my 11-year-old grandson to get the garbage cans. A year ago, I would have taken 3 times as long to walk up, with many pauses to catch my breath. I reminded DGS of the time when he was just a little guy and we were walking up the lane. I realized he'd stopped, looked back, saw him standing there, one leg bent, chin on his fist. I asked, "Whatcha doin'?" He replied, "Restin'." I know where he learned that. I feel like a different person, physically, now.

Good night everyone.
  • joylaut
    Options
    Been reading, not posting. Tired this past week but work was slow and I got to sleep in a few days. It seemed to help. Welcome new ones. My regards to those of you having a hard time of things (or whose family members are - I know you still carry it with you)

Here's a laugh to brighten your day. This came to me via email several times already but it makes me laugh every time.

I relate to this all TOO Well...:laugh:

A.A.A.D.D..

KNOW THE SYMPTOMS!

Thank goodness there's a name for this disorder.

Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder.

This is how it manifests:

I decide to water my garden.

As I turn on the hose in the driveway,

I look over at my car and decide it needs washing.

As I start toward the garage, I notice mail on the porch table that I brought up from the mail box earlier.

I decide to go through the mail before I wash the car.

I lay my car keys on the table, put the junk mail in the garbage can under the table and notice that the can is full.

So, I decide to put the bills back on the table and take out the garbage first..

But then I think, since I'm going to be near the mailbox when I take out the garbage anyway,
    I may as well pay the bills first.

I take my check book off the table and see that there is only one check left.

My extra checks are in my desk in the study, so I go inside the house to my desk where
    I find the can of Pepsi I'd been drinking.

I'm going to look for my checks, but first I need to push the Pepsi aside so that I don't accidentally knock it over.

The Pepsi is getting warm, and I decide to put it in the refrigerator to keep it cold.

As I head toward the kitchen with the Pepsi, a vase of flowers on the counter catches my eye--they need water.

I put the Pepsi on the counter and discover my reading glasses that I've been searching for all morning.

I decide I better put them back on my desk, but first I'm going to water the flowers.

I set the glasses back down on the counter, fill a container with water and suddenly spot the TV remote.

Someone left it on the kitchen table. I realize that tonight when we go to watch TV, I'll be looking for the remote,
    but I won't remember that it's on the kitchen table.

So I decide to put it back in the den where it belongs, but first I'll water the flowers.

I pour some water in the flowers, but quite a bit of it spills on the floor. So, I set the remote back on the table,
    get some towels and wipe up the spill.

Then, I head down the hall trying to remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day: the car isn't washed
    the bills aren't paid
    there is a warm can Pepsi sitting on the counter
    the flowers don't have enough water,
    there is still only 1 check in my check book,
    I can't find the remote,
    I can't find my glasses,
    and I don't remember what I did with the car keys.

Then, when I try to figure out why nothing got done, I'm really baffled because
    I know I was busy all damn day and I'm really tired.

I realize this is a serious problem, and I'll try to get some help for it, but first I'll check my e-mail....

Don't laugh -- if this isn't you yet, your day is coming!!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Joy,

I have seen that email before also, and it is funny. It is also sad but TRUE:ohwell:

Barbie, I am glad to hear the mystery of the wandering ferret has been solved. How nice that you already have someone ready to look at your house. Tell Jake not to overdue it on the packing. He will have to save himself for unpacking after you are moved!!!:wink:

Barb
  • lhague
    lhague Posts: 258
    Options
    I had a total of 14 pounds to loose. My weight goal for February is 4 pounds. My fitness goal is to be able to row for 30 minutes at vigorous intensity

So glad there is this thread, a 26 year old young man called me old in an earlier thread. :huh:
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    good morning, Dear Ladies,

I haven't fallen off the earth...just in MT and getting ready to move house. It has consumed me more than I wanted! I have read posts when I have had a few minutes but not doing too well with anything else.

Joylout: Your AAADD thing gave me a good laugh...WOW, that explains why things that used to take 15 minutes can now take hours! My current move is one great example. I started a new painting yesterday afternoon in the middle of packing and hauling things to the new house!!! At least it is good therapy for me, but NOT what I should have been doing!

Jeanne: I too am sorry to hear your son is having a tough time. You are right...that is a tough age. I hope the medication does the trick. I am thinking of you all.

MIMI: THANKS for your message. I really appreciate it. It's nice to be missed!!! And I am excited to hear about your garden. I love to garden and find it such a rewarding hobby. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Everyone else: I am thinking of you too and enjoy hearing what's up with each of you. I promised DH that I would take a bit of time off today and ski with him. It will be good for body and soul. We have to be totally moved by this Wednesday so I still have time. Take care all!!!!!!:heart::heart: :heart: Kackie
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies.
    I am a little out of touch. I guess because I have been sidetracked with life.

Kackie - you are moving?
    Barbie - you are moving?
    Mimi - I am so proud of you for being so much more fit than a year ago. Healthy sure feels better than not doesn't it.
    Barb - how's the job coming along?
    Amanda - good thoughts on your surgery

Some good news. I had blood work done recently and my cholesteral is still borderline but my HDL went up so Doc is happy and wants me to keep on doing what I am doing.
    I do have to go in a follow up procedure because the pap showed some abnormal cells. I am sure it is nothing but better safe than sorry.

Tomorrow is a premiere event at Boeing. the new 747-8 Intercontental is unveiled. its a big deal and DH and I will be in attendance. It should be fun.

To all of you wonderful women. I am so thankful that I can call you friend and I love you all.
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    Joy, thanks for a good laugh. It is so true! :laugh:

Robin, nice to hear from you. You have a whole new dimension in your life with your new job...a challenge too but, with all the hard work you've done in the last year, you're in the best possible shape for it. Good luck with the pap. (So fun, those doctor's visits, huh?) :noway:

Kackie, you are wonder woman, packing, getting the house ready, and painting! Not to mention skiing. Good for your DH for getting in some recreation time amidst all the hustle and bustle. :happy:

I like looking at our little orchard. 18 trees! I'm excited. I want fruit NOW! :wink: We'll have the usual apples, peaches, cherries, nectarines, and plums as well as a fig, a Fuyu persimmon, and a pomegranate tree. The weather forecast is for 5 days of showers this coming week. That should be good for our trees. Today I get to paint their trunks so they don't get sunburned. :smile:

We're planning to put in blackberries and raspberries too. (That's not as dangerous here as in the Northwest where they'd probably take over.) Then will come our vegetable garden. We'll get fast results from that, I hope. We're planning to make raised beds and line them with gopher wire. (The trees are set in gopher baskets.) The gophers, voles, squirrels, and deer are pests around here. :angry:

The gopher wire should take care of the gophers and voles (fingers crossed) and a fence will keep the deer out, but the squirrels are another story. Last year, they chewed holes in all our hoses. I'm trying to figure out how to put in a drip system that they won't bother. The gal at the nursery said she hadn't had that problem but she'd had a problem with her fruit trees. Just as the fruit was almost ripe, she'd come out and the squirrels would have stripped them. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

lhague, welcome. I hope you'll tell the charming 26-year-old who called you "old" that age is all (or mostly!) in the mind. Funny thing, that being judgmental is a sign of very old age...antiquity even! :laugh:

Lost a half pound this week. :drinker: I'm excited to get back in the game. It was a long dry stretch. I'm going to stay away from situations where I'm not in control of the food for awhile.

Barb, thanks for the info on health insurance for dogs. You are so knowledgeable about so many things. :heart:
  • lhague
    Options
    Mimi,

Hello, and thanks for your reply to a rather "uninformed" 26 yr. old. You made me laugh. My first thought was "I should call your mother".

I loved reading your profile, not to mention the dog. My husband and I are animal people. We have two German Shepherds who live inside and I am their "mommy"

I love this thread, finally a place where our LDL and HDL really means something. As invincible as we are, there is still a threshold we are aware of.

Hello to all! :smile:
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone.

I have been catching up on all your posts and I think many of us need some hugs and flowers!

So--

cachugs4.gif
    and

gflowers102.gif

I wish I had time to respond to everyone but please know that I pray for you all.

Almost forgot!

gcwelcome97.gif
    to our newbies!
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Dear Ihague:

Did you let that 26 year old have it!! Just because we are older it doesn't mean
    we can't keep up. I am 61 and some of my 50+ friends have health issues and such
    and can't keep up. We are young, we are strong at heart. :drinker:
  • lhague
    Options
    Thanks Shirley,

I know that, believe that, and live that ... we are young, it is just a number. I was shocked, couldn't believe it. Like I said, I wanted to call his mom! lol

I know my kids like spending time with us, my son in law likes spending time with us, their friends like spending time with us. Eventually, they will all be our age. And I love my age, have never felt sad at one birthday. Age is a number not a state of mind.

If you have ever watched "Fried Green Tomatoes"....I'm older and I have more insurance. That's my moto.
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies,
    Day 6 and doing well with eating. not a lot of formal exercise but I do what I can. My sinus's got me down this morning. Hope that gets better soon. Mimi, I think I want to come pick stuff from your garden. Sounds so wonderful. i love fresh fruit and veggies. Especially fresh picked. I believe it brings back great memories for me. When I was 5 we lived with my grandma and grandpa for a year. My grandpa had a huge garden and chickens, cows, etc. I remember going in the garden with him and he would pick a vegetable and we would just take a taste right there in the garden. For some reason I remember eating turnips like this. Thanks for the memory. I might find my way to your garden. LOL
    Can you all help with my food settings. What setting is your protein and sugar. These seem to always be off. For instance today my sugar is already in minuses and all I have had with sugar is an orange and a yogurt. Just wondering if you use MFP recommendations or set your own. Thanks.
    Have a good day. Nice and sunny here but stilll cold. Supposed to warm up this weekend.
    Vicki M
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    Vicki M, I absolutely do not worry about sugar that comes from fruit, yogurt, etc. It's the processed stuff that can do you in. I've seen posts from more than one person with diabetes whose doctors told them the natural sugars were okay. (I imagine they're still careful with the stuff that's really high on the glycemic scale, such as pineapple.)

I feel so much better with fruits and veggies in my life, and I've lost a lot of weight while eating them. I do a lot better with eating when I'm filling up on fruits and veggies. I call them my willpower. When I let myself get hungry, that's when I get the munchies.

You can set your own goals using the "custom" rather than the "guided" setting. I'd see what works for you. I did need to get processed foods out of my diet before I could see what worked for me. Having those in my system fed a desire for more. For me, that took about 3 days. (And still takes it, if I stray from healthful eating!)

BTW, I don't worry about fat either as long as it's healthy fat. Avocados, in particular, are high fat but good for you. A few nuts, ditto. I do like and eat cheese (feta especially). That's probably not got the healthiest fat but I eat it anyway!

Good luck! We can do this. We are doing this!!
  • mrsanderson404
    Options
    Mimi...I planted a bare root blackberry a couple weeks ago and am excited to see what comes this year. We are in the desert but understand they do quite well where I'm at as long as I keep the water coming....love them in my yogurt and it would be a treat to get enough for a cobbler. My niece is just outside Dallas and a neighbors bush is doing so well it has come through the fence! She picks whatever is on her side and freezes them! Love it....all the pleasure and none of the pain...LOL...maybe she'll make jam and take some over to the nice neighbor
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    Hello Ladies,:flowerforyou:

Hope everyone has had a good Saturday. It was 45 today and beautiful Sunshine. Yesterday was -2/-4 and sunshine. Big, Big difference n the temperatures

Today was my on granddaughter's birthday. I say only, I had a granddaughter born in 2001 in February but she only lived 2 hours. So, this granddaughter is a miracle.:love:
    She was over here for about 3 hours. Her brother, the 6-year old that woke up in recovery and thought he might be in heaven, was at home. Their mom isa photographer and the DGS's little girlfriend was coming for a pic appt. He didn't want his sister there she might embarass him. :smile:
    We played games, did puzzles, water color painted and then she puts in a cd of Alvin and the Chipmunks Christmas Carols:noway: and sings to the top of her lungs..of course we cooked food. THat goes with keeping grandchildren. There was cheesy eggs, whole wheat toast, bacon and she just had to have a thmoothie (she has a slight lisp)
    She wants bananas, strawberries, blue berries, pineapple, organic apple juice, organic carrot powder, beet powder an stevia...she loves them and they are full of vitamins so I can't turn her down.:noway:

Amanda-I am so sorry about the twin baby that died. That is so hard on all of you.
    I have noticed that you have a lot of twins in your family..wow!
    I'll say again how well you have done in losing the weight. :flowerforyou: Your surgery should be alot easier on you because you are so much healthier.:flowerforyou:

dkn23o8--hope you are can obtain the goals you have set for yourself ..keep us updated.:wink:

Sally-did you weigh-in go well?:smile:

Faye-did I miss a post or did u tell us about the inbred ferrets? What is causing this problem..do you know?:huh:

Michelle -one of these days I am going to try a sphagetti squash again...you and Mrs Anderson make it sound easy and good.:smile:

Mj-I am glad to learn that about broccoli.:drinker: .I didn't know it was a high chromium food...I knew it had protein and calcium..Mimi might know about this..if not she is probably like me and glad to learn about it.:flowerforyou:

Darlis--you are still in my thoughts. You are really doing well with your weight and food diary in a very stressful time.
    Let us know how you are from time to time.:heart:

Svelte--just keep writing and let us know your okay. Interacting keeps you interested...or I should say it has me. I am like you, that was a wasted kill but amazing! Have you had any luck with scheduling your days?:flowerforyou:

Vickim-you made that eggplant sound so good I bought 2 at the grocery last night. I'm going to try those next week. I had no idea how to choose good ones. I have never bought eggplants before..wish me luck.:drinker:
    About your sugars, I am like Mimi, if it's raw natural sugars in fruits and veggies, I don't worry about it. However, to combat the sugar affecting my levels, if it has a lot of sugar content i will eat a slice of turkey or some nuts and this will stop that from happening.

Mary-I am glad you have your water back on but the Flu?? :noway: oh me, that is bad when both of you are sick. Hope you feel better. The flu is starting to be in our area too. I learned of three people who tested positive for the flu yesterday.

Teresa--let us know about yourself...:smile:

Macmadame..yourson? I am so sorry I misunderstood. That is tough. I have a young friend who is 25. She has really had a tough time the last 2 mos. She is going to counseling and on meds..and just barely staying out of the hospital. After talking with her, I strongly encouraged her to get help. I was afraid she was going to hurt herself.
    That is tough to deal with..I can't imagine with your son.:heart:

Dear Miss Hopeful(Lady in Pink)--I hope you have a good weekend! It looks like you are doing well with your program.:flowerforyou:

Barb-I hope you rest this weekend. We couldn't do without your humor!:bigsmile:

Barbie-I hope your house sells quickly, so that you can get settled. :flowerforyou:

Mimi--you are a brave soul to watch 4 at once. :noway: When I try to do that..which is not often, I am exhausted!:yawn:

Joy-that was funny.:laugh: ..I am like some of the rest of the ladies, now I know why it takes so much longer to complete one task..too funny!:laugh: :laugh:

Ihague-you are doing well already! Where do you live? I read it but at the moment I can't remember? Tell us about yourself, I mean besides a 26-yearold thinking you were old?:noway: :noway: :noway: :bigsmile:

Kackie--enjoy your skiing and hope your move goes quickly and smoothly..:flowerforyou: :heart:

Robin-Good luck on your tests. It sounds like your weight program is still on course.
    Wow a new Boeing! That would be something to see! Enjoy!:flowerforyou:

Pmjsmom--hey!..Good to see you on here!:glasses: I loved all the animated "thingies"..:bigsmile:

Shirley61-....I have a variety of friends in a variety of ages. I enjoy young and old..it's humorous when a young one says something like that. I think.:ohwell: .um you have a lot ahead of you and a lot to learn. Some of the old folks would say they were so green if you put them in the ground they would sprout.:bigsmile:

Mrs Anderson-hope your blackberry bush does well..blackberry jam is a homemade treat that we have at Christmas..that is yummy. Do you have Cracker Barrel restaurants there? They have blackberry jams and jellies that are wonderful. ****insons..not something I do often..but can be put on whole wheat sourdough bread and counted into calories for an extra special treat.:tongue:
    On this weight program they are good in smoothies or in cereal. Good luck!:flowerforyou:

Have a good weekend everyone!
  • lyn54
    Options
    Jeannie--Izzy-Diane and Alice.. and anyone else I haven't names.haven't meant to leave you out-:blushing: -I went back another page and there you were...I have to go to bed now. I hope you all have good weekends and will get back to you on the next post. I had an older friend who has recently taught me about the Notebook..so maybe I can do better with the posting now..but my head is starting that old stuff it's been doing lately..so please forgive me this time:flowerforyou:

Have a good weekend everyone
  • lyn54
    Options
    Jeannie--Izzy-Diane and Alice.. and anyone else I haven't named.haven't meant to leave you out-:blushing: -I went back another page and there you were...I have to go to bed now. I hope you all have good weekends and will get back to you on the next post. I had an older friend who has recently taught me about the Notebook..so maybe I can do better with the posting now..but my head is starting that old stuff it's been doing lately..so please forgive me this time:flowerforyou:

Have a good weekend everyone
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Robin - I have a Droid Global. I got the app, thanks for all your help.

mj - one thing I've noticed in a lot of "abs" classes, they tend to do exercises solely for the abs. You really need to work the opposing muscles, too (lower back). Otherwise, the ab muscle will just get bigger and stick out more which is what you DON'T want.

jeannie - prayers for your son

Did 15 min of yoga and an hour of a body sculpting class (Thurs). Really, it seemed to be more cardio and high impact. There were lots of times when I needed to go to low impact. I really do wish for a class more devoted to just weights with only a little cardio.

Did 1 hr of HIIT on the elliptical Fri and 15 min of yoga.

mj - I'm so sorry to hear of your father. I didn't realize that stress makes diabetes worse.

Welcome teresa! You'll get lots of encouragement and support here

Amanda - I'm so so sorry. Will there be any problems with her carrying a dead child?

Robin - that's great about your bloodwork!

We had the Newcomer's gala tonight. Don't know why, but after we got home, I had this great big snack attack. Had a whole box of the Thanks-A-Lot GS cookies. From last week to this week, I've lost almost 5 lbs. I know that I'm going to kick myself in the morning. I feel so "yuk" right now, but I just can't seem to help myself.

Did an hour of yoga today (Sat). Tomorrow I'll do some balance games on the Wii.

OK, enough of this carb attack. I'm going to hate myself tomorrow, I just know it. I already feel "yuk".

Michele
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Lynn,
    Hope you are feeling better. My weigh in this week was disappointing. I was up one pound. I weigh in with a group on Tues and then usually weigh in for MFP on either Wed or Thurs morning. I know that I need to consistently exercise and this week has been much better so hopefully I will see the scale move in the direction I want next week.

Have a good weekend, everyone.