An objective look at eating "exercise calories"

Options

Replies

• stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    And to show why I don't care enough... I think it's a lot of hair splitting. I mean, we can say:

Total calorie needs = BMR + TEF + SPA + TEA

BMR = basal metabolic rate

TEF = thermic effect of food

SPA = spontaneous physical activity

TEA = thermic effect of activity

To really normalize the data of how much energy was spent fueling a given exercise, you'd need to net out every other component of metabolism, not just BMR. Not to mention that we're dealing with a lot of estimates here to begin with which makes worrying about stuff on the granular level even less worthwhile if you ask me.

But I'm a contrarian who values simplicity so of course my views are biased to that.
  • Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Thanks for explaining this. I get it.

This might be TMI, but I also have "breastfeeding" to calculate in the mix. :wink: I hadn't been adding calories back in for that, but I've been losing at a safe rate (1 lbs per week). Not sure I even need to... So, everyone's situation is different.
  • finncmh
    finncmh Posts: 290
    Options
    thanks for posting! hope more people read this- going to spread the word around as well!!!!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    You're welcome. Thanks for tuning in everyone.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    To really normalize the data of how much energy was spent fueling a given exercise, you'd need to net out every other component of metabolism, not just BMR. Not to mention that we're dealing with a lot of estimates here to begin with which makes worrying about stuff on the granular level even less worthwhile if you ask me.
    Exactly. I do it out of habit, because it takes me a mere 5 seconds, and I'm a neurotic number cruncher, but 30-60 calories here and there when you are talking about 1800 over the course of a day, or burning 1000+ running 10 miles, makes very little difference. It just won't break the bank. No one measures every single gram of food they put into their mouth and any food that is even slightly processed will have only an approximate nutritional value, as is. So splitting hairs about a few calories here or there is really futile in the grand old scheme of things. Added stress with little to no pay off!
  • bangarangbree
    Options
    Bump.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Exactly. I do it out of habit, because it takes me a mere 5 seconds, and I'm a neurotic number cruncher, but 30-60 calories here and there when you are talking about 1800 over the course of a day, or burning 1000+ running 10 miles, makes very little difference. It just won't break the bank. No one measures every single gram of food they put into their mouth and any food that is even slightly processed will have only an approximate nutritional value, as is. So splitting hairs about a few calories here or there is really futile in the grand old scheme of things. Added stress with little to no pay off!

And you bring up an excellent point about added stress. I'm sure this will come across as overly blunt but it seems many dieters today go bat crap crazy about this stuff. They only see things in binary terms - particular foods are either healthy or horrible, their behavior is either good or bad, they're either successful or they failed, etc, etc. And all this sort of reasoning and perspective does is ramp up anxiety like crazy.

People are flipping out over 10 calories. And ya know what? I think it hurts them.

The stress response they're generating by being as anal retentive and psychotic as they are bites them in the *kitten*. Which is why I always recommend people read the book written by Robert Sapolsky called "Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers." He's a great author and a genius when it comes to the stress response of the body. Humans unfortunately can work themselves up into such a psychological mess about the future by thinking about catastrophic thoughts and building psychological hurdles that are simply impossible to clear and thus, our biology that's really in place to keep us alive winds up going in overdrive in chronic terms.

Like I've said in numerous places on this forum now - our ability to manage stress is finite. In our body's mind, stress is stress have it be psychological, physical, real, imagined, etc. And when you've relatively small people eating like birds, doing copious amounts of exercise, stressing about work and family which is typical in this culture, and then topping it off with psychotic analysis and concern over diet and exercise - well - things tend to get messed up.

It's no wonder people are constantly stalling out, really. Granted, I believe more often than not it's a miscalculation on energy intake and expenditure, but still, this is very real.

Fat loss, sex drive, immune function, you name it and chronic stress will affect it, usually negatively.

People just need to relax, set realistic expectations, avoid perfectionism, and be patient.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    ^^ Wonderful advice. And I think I'll take a dose of it myself!

Yoga tonight to DE-STRESS! hahaha
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Just a comment to the non-expert people reading this...BMR is not maintenance. Maintenance is your daily acitivity + BMR . So the deficit Steve is talking about should come from your maintenance, not your BMR.

To find out what MFP is calculating your maintenance to be, go to Home > Goals > and on the right side you will see Calories Burned from Normal Daily Activity. That is MFP's calculated maintenance based on your BMR, activity level, gender, and age. This page also shows what your daily deficit is based on the goals you entered to MFP. The idea here (on this site) is to keep that deficit steady, thus the program adds back the exercise burned calories..
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Great summary of the whole Exercise Calorie issue.
    Just a comment to the non-expert people reading this...BMR is not maintenance. Maintenance is your daily acitivity + BMR . So the deficit Steve is talking about should come from your maintenance, not your BMR.

To find out what MFP is calculating your maintenance to be, go to Home > Goals > and on the right side you will see Calories Burned from Normal Daily Activity. That is MFP's calculated maintenance based on your BMR, activity level, gender, and age. This page also shows what your daily deficit is based on the goals you entered to MFP. The idea here (on this site) is to keep that deficit steady, thus the program adds back the exercise burned calories..

Stormie - great follow-up, too!
  • stroutman81
    Options

Thanks for reiterating that point. It's an important one. And as I mentioned on the previous page, I calculate maintenance as follows:

Total calorie needs = BMR + TEF + SPA + TEA

BMR = basal metabolic rate

TEF = thermic effect of food

SPA = spontaneous physical activity

TEA = thermic effect of activity
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    Thanks so much!
  • MaryDreamer
    Options

Thank you Stormie!
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    Thank you so much Stormie!
  • petey49
    petey49 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi Stroutman81: I just want to make sure I understand and get this right.

According to MFP my BMR + Normal daily activity (NDA) = 1500 cals. 25% of this is 375 cals, the deficit I am looking for. So if I did nothing exercise-wise I should only eat 1125 cals to meet my deficit.

So if I set my daily calorie goal at 1125 then burn 400 calories in exercise I am at 725 calories for my BMR + NDA, way way to low.

Hence if set my daily calorie goal at 1125 calories, burn 400 calories then eat back 400 calories I am back to 1125 calories.

Hence I still meet my deficit and continue to loose weight.

Did I get this right? The next question is 1125 calories too little? I have read that you should not go below 1200 calories.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options

And you bring up an excellent point about added stress. I'm sure this will come across as overly blunt but it seems many dieters today go bat crap crazy about this stuff. They only see things in binary terms - particular foods are either healthy or horrible, their behavior is either good or bad, they're either successful or they failed, etc, etc. And all this sort of reasoning and perspective does is ramp up anxiety like crazy.

People are flipping out over 10 calories. And ya know what? I think it hurts them.

The stress response they're generating by being as anal retentive and psychotic as they are bites them in the *kitten*. Which is why I always recommend people read the book written by Robert Sapolsky called "Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers." He's a great author and a genius when it comes to the stress response of the body. Humans unfortunately can work themselves up into such a psychological mess about the future by thinking about catastrophic thoughts and building psychological hurdles that are simply impossible to clear and thus, our biology that's really in place to keep us alive winds up going in overdrive in chronic terms.

Like I've said in numerous places on this forum now - our ability to manage stress is finite. In our body's mind, stress is stress have it be psychological, physical, real, imagined, etc. And when you've relatively small people eating like birds, doing copious amounts of exercise, stressing about work and family which is typical in this culture, and then topping it off with psychotic analysis and concern over diet and exercise - well - things tend to get messed up.

It's no wonder people are constantly stalling out, really. Granted, I believe more often than not it's a miscalculation on energy intake and expenditure, but still, this is very real.

Fat loss, sex drive, immune function, you name it and chronic stress will affect it, usually negatively.

People just need to relax, set realistic expectations, avoid perfectionism, and be patient.

Great explanation on your OP, and this is a GREAT added point. Thanks for taking the time. :wink:
  • shalynna89
    shalynna89 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Thank You!! I'm new to the site and wasn't sure what to do. This explains it so well. Thank you again!!
  • juliana1977
    juliana1977 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Excelent! Very well explainned, this should be our welcome page to MFP.
    I do have a question: what is ur advice for people who workout late at night?
    I usually dont get to workout untill 8:30/9pm, after putting my kids on bed. Should I plan ahead of the time and eat all my calories and after workout only have a protein shake?
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Stroutman, you are my hero!
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I will make sure I eat back the exercise calories or even try to to do such intese workouts due to me not being able to eat them back.