50 lbs by June 1st Challenge Part 3

Options

Replies

• AmandaR910
    Options
    185.0 :(

.4lbs loss but hit MUCH lower during the week.
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Down just a tad to 197.4 lbs At least its in the right direction!
  • Sugar_Apple
    Sugar_Apple Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Feb 7: 178
    Feb 14: 182
    Feb 21: 178

My body is finally settling after TOM...hopefully I can get in control so its not so bad next month
  • billybed
    billybed Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    LAst weeks schedule:
    Feb14.jpg
  • yportia
    yportia Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Good week for me - some how I lost 5.2 pounds. Probably had something to do with no alcohol, very few late night snacks and chasing my grand-kids all over the house this weekend. My current weight is 177.6.

Portia
  • MandyGirly
    Options
    No change for me this week.
    I spent the first half of the week eating healthy and staying active... then I went away to my best friend's place for the weekend and undid all my wonderful progress. On the positive side, I could have gained weight, rather than maintaining. I guess I just have to work twice as hard to make up for it this week!
  • erikaj819
    Options
    256 for the week up 1lb....................... hope the Doritos cravings will go away soon! hope i will start having more energy to workout again soon too!!!!
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    long time, no post :ohwell: I just wanted to report in for the week and i am now at 171.5 which is a loss of 1.5 for the week and 18.5 since the start of the challenge. Like i reported a while back, i am in serious doubt as to whether it would be wise for me to lose the full 50 at this point. I am actually aiming for 16-21 more (goal @ 150-155lbs instead of 140) Seeing how i am 5'10" and i am concentrating on fitness not just ending up "skinny fat" i think 140 would be too extreme. Anyhoooo, thats my progress note for the week :flowerforyou: Keep up the good work everyone!
  • mydoc3
    mydoc3 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have not weighed in just yet. I will try to remember to weigh in tomorrow morning. Hoping and praying for a loss!

Barb
  • mydoc3
    Options
    Got a question! I have been reading that I need to eat my exercise calories. Does everyone else do this? I usually "bank" my exercise cals but then I have low weight loss numbers. So I am wondering if I am hurting myself by "banking" those. So if I start out at 1200 and I burn 400 exercising then I need to eat a total of 1600 cals for the day. To me that just seems like I am undoing what I worked so hard for in the gym. Thanks in advance!

Barb
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Got a question! I have been reading that I need to eat my exercise calories. Does everyone else do this? I usually "bank" my exercise cals but then I have low weight loss numbers. So I am wondering if I am hurting myself by "banking" those. So if I start out at 1200 and I burn 400 exercising then I need to eat a total of 1600 cals for the day. To me that just seems like I am undoing what I worked so hard for in the gym. Thanks in advance!

Barb

I generally eat at least half of my exercise calories. I would try that first & see how it goes for you! :happy:
  • suelynn62
    suelynn62 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    197.2 this week. Down.8
  • mydoc3
    Options

Barb

I generally eat at least half of my exercise calories. I would try that first & see how it goes for you! :happy:

I may start trying half then....I usually end up having about 400 left before I work out and then I usually try to burn 400 to 500 cals working out. That just seems like alot to try and eat. (healthy anyways, I could eat unhealthy and take care of it in no time.)

Barb
  • mydoc3
    Options
    197.2 this week. Down.8

Great job!!!
  • MartyDiller
    MartyDiller Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    208.2 this week down a tad!
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options

Barb

I may start trying half then....I usually end up having about 400 left before I work out and then I usually try to burn 400 to 500 cals working out. That just seems like alot to try and eat. (healthy anyways, I could eat unhealthy and take care of it in no time.)

Barb

yes, its very important to eat your exercise calories! There are several excellent threads on this actually (i will try to post a few thread links). If your goal without exercise is 1200, thats already the minimum you should consume in a day without even factoring your exercise demands. When you regularly exercise and burn off 400 calories, you effectively are eating 800 calories for your body to live on. This is too low and after a while of having net calories that low, your body responds by lowering your metabolism (making bounce-back gain happen faster!) and you start burning more of a 50% fat 50% muscle ratio. Yes, thats right, you are burning your muscle off for energy to live. Not what you do your workouts for i bet! :) "Normal" weightloss burns off about 80% fat and 20% muscle so its important when dieting to exercise to preserve and tone muscles, increase aerobic health and increase metabolism. You need to put the gas in your car if you want to be able to drive it :) ... Starvation mode aka Famine Response is real and while many see results in the short-term from NOT eating their exercise calories, it doesnt work in the mid-to-long-term. You will plateau and some ppl actually begin to gain weight as your body tries to hold onto its fat reserves. You start feeling tired because you are not getting proper fuel to live on and when your numbers level off or inch up, you might start to feel despondent about it all and slip into emotional eating cycles. If you've slipped into "starvation mode" AND you go on an emotional eating binge, you will see the pounds come back much faster than if you were eating "on target" the whole time (eating back your truly earned exercise calories). ... So anyways, if you aren't already, be sure you are weighing and measuring your foods accurately and secondly consider investing in a heart rate monitor so you can get a more accurate reading of YOUR calorie burn for an activity, on a particular day at a particular intensity. So many variables when it comes to exercise burns, i can see why some ppl are afraid to eat back their "burned calorie allotment".... Bottom line: end your day EACH AND EVERY DAY with a 1200+ NET calories consumed and you should be back on track in no time... hope my answer helps :) I will try to locate some threads.............
  • mydoc3
    Options
    @adkwatergal, thanks so much for the great info. That was very confusing for me. And I am def getting a heart rate monitor. I have been researching them. Thanks again for the info.

Barb
  • blueviolet20
    blueviolet20 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm in! 50 lbs lost for me would be kind of unhealthy, but I'll shoot for 30! I've got a wedding to prepare for!

SW: 165 lbs.
    CW: 162.2 lbs.
    GW: 130 lbs.
    Goal for March 1st: 160 lbs.
    Goal for April 1st: 150 lbs
    Goal for May 1st: 140 lbs
    Goal for June 1st: 130 lbs!
  • mydoc3
    Options
    Ugh...I gained 1.80 pounds. I was late weighing in and this morning it said 187.2! But I am not going to let that number get in my head. I know that I have been doing what needs to be done except for eating my exercise cals. So I am going to try and start eating those and see how the next weigh in goes. My only thing is, I work out in the evenings so I never know until dinner what my cals are so that is going to be tough. I certainly don't want to eat the wrong things so I will have to try and start adjusting!

Barb
  • mydoc3
    Options
    Yesterday I purchased a New Balance N4 heart rate monitor. It tells your heart rate and cals burned (probably some other things but that is what I pay attention to) based on your sex, height, weight and age. The heart rate was spot on with the elliptical that I was using but the cals were a touch higher on the monitor. I really feel like the monitor gave a better read for that based on all the info I had to give. But I really wanted a monitor so that I would know for sure what I was burning at home.

Barb