The 4-Hour Body / Slow-Carb Diet

Options

Replies

• motufit
    motufit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    odd day today. Usually I gain 3-5 lbs after my cheat day (Pre cheat weight 211 lbs) but this time I gained .2 lbs the day after not much. But today 48 hours later I'm at 213 which is 2 lbs. Hmm. I got back right on the diet Sunday (the day after cheat day) and also didn't feel I ate a whole lot too. Just amazing how much your body weight fluctuates.

Shannon I don't think I could have resisted those IHOP pancakes, great job. My fav pancakes are the ones at Perkins.
  • Christin09
    Christin09 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My usual non-cheat day looks like this:
    Breakfast: 1 egg, 2 egg whites, 1/4 cup of pinto beans, 1/4 of black beans, some sort of veggie and maybe another type of protein
    AM Snack: hard boiled egg and pinto and black beans
    Lunch: Usually a Chicken breast, some sort of frozen vegetable medley, and black and pinto beans about a cup
    Dinner: Chicken, fresh cooked vegetables and black and pinto beans

I know your not suppose to add too much variety but I have been experimenting with the types of beans and adding avocado and stuff, I will have a salad every now and then in place of the veggies and stuff like that but I would like to experiment with soups and stuff like that.

OK so Cheat day number 2 down! I ate everything I wanted yesterday, I mean I was BAD
    Breakfast: (non cheat): high protein shake, G(green tea supplement)G(garlic supplement)
    Breakfast #2: Mexicana omelet (chorizo, cheddar cheese, jalapenos, onion) 2 whole wheat pancakes, some potatoes, coffee and Grapefruit juice and 2 mini donuts
    Lunch: GG, Whole wheat bread, Olive oil and Parmesan, lime Kombucha, 2 salsolito cookies and 1 cup whole milk
    Dinner: Chips and salsa, half a Steak burrito no beans (steak, tomato, sour cream, cheese, and avocado) 1 chorizo taco, 1/2 cup Cookie dough ice cream
    *end day*
    Oh yeah and COLD SHOWER! (that was exciting!)

So I get on the scale this morning and I didn't gain a single pound! I was still at my pre cheat day weight, which I hadn't lost the pounds from my last cheat day either... (I lost 1.5 inches around my waist though) So hopefully this week will show some major loss in the poundage...

Why do you guys think I didn't gain anything from yesterday? I had massive carbs and calorie overload...
  • circadianswing
    circadianswing Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    2 whole wheat pancakes.

for cheat day?!? blech!!! I have no idea why you didn't gain a pound... not sure how I feel about taking cold showers on a regular basis, so I'm not sure what one will do for you every once in a while.
  • mcferg
    mcferg Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Christin,

In terms of REAL weight, you really shouldn't gain more than fractions of a pound most cheat days. Considering you'd need to eat an excess of 3500 calories to gain 1 actual pound, you'd probably have to eat 6000 or so to do that. If you buy into the science that Ferris promotes - that you can do certain things to direct calories towards your muscles or simply through your digestive tract, that number could conceivably be much higher. Most cheat-day weight is water. It could be that you were retaining some water prior to cheat day, and it equalized during cheat day.

I will say this - I have had at least one week where my weight went up the day AFTER cheat day, so, I wouldn't sweat it if that happens.

Yesterday was my cheat day. I'm up 3.5 lbs. Seems pretty typical, BUT, I actually didn't do much cheating until after dinner. I did have a few light beers throughout the afternoon, but my breakfast and all food prior to dinner was my typical SCD way of eating. For dinner, I had about 8 buffalo wings - the frozen kind you heat in your oven. These are fattening and calorie-dense, but not necessarily NOT SCD - they have almost no sugar and are, well, mostly chicken. After dinner, I had 3 cookies, some pub cheese w/ crackers and a glass of port. Now - the cookies were big, but I would still put my caloric intake for the day probably between 3000 and 3500 calories. It was probably the least I've eaten on a cheat day. I also ran 5 miles and did various exercises (kettlebell swings, wall pushups, air squats, chest pulls) throughout the day.

For the last 2 weeks, it took me all week to lose my cheat day wake, but, for some reason, I don't expect that to happen this week. I can't explain it, but I just feel like it's going to be a good week. Honestly, though, I really don't care. I realized, after spending most of my cheat day eating SCD, that I really prefer eating this way. I roasted a bunch of chicken breasts, and I've got lots of good protein leftovers (tri-tip and pork tenderloin) to start off the week.

This is good - it's a busy week.

Happy Monday!
  • BrandyABrown
    Options
    I appreciate the responses to my unique situation - my traveling is ALL car. I spend 7 hours in the car usually in one or two days, between the drives I'm on campus trying to fit in all my grad meetings and the class I teach in one day or so. It's a long day where I have to keep my energy up and be smart in front of important people - so I always end up needing to eat more than a snack or I start flagging - I cap it off teaching a 3 hour upper level class that ends at 9. And I am determined to teach well. Then I usually drive home - and sometimes then I get food just to have something to do to stay awake.

My office there has a sad mini-fridge that doesn't stay that cold, nowhere to even eat out except limited fast food options (chik fil a but they only offer the fries and sandwiches, etc.... I wonder if I can find a campus shop with salads that's a little farther away though... I'll look into that this week).

If I stay overnight, it's on a friend's couch and by the time I leave I'm exhausted from not sleeping much. Ahh, the life of a grad student. They never have the room for me to bring my own food, hah, I tried. :) I do love my friends, it's much less stressful if more tiring when I stay overnight.

I could start packing an ice chest or something nuts (that's part of the problem - my food gets nasty from the car+warm office by the time I eat it). I think my currently semi-ridiculous level of stress (just 4 months to go, i think i can, i think i can) and need to save my pennies make me very reluctant to buy an ice chest, buy ice every week, etc. etc. Plus I just know the minute my schedule got tight, which it does often, I wouldn't do it.

That's the real trick, the schedule stuff. That's what pushes me to the places I do run in and out of, usually convenience stores, there aren't even many drive-thru's on my 3 hour commute each way. So I usually only grab something when I get gas, and I'm stressed about the drive, my schedule, etc. and it ends up being my 'cheat' foods that I gravitate to. I always tell myself I'll eat when I get home, and I end up starving to the point I can't wait the hours I have to drive.

Hmmm. I could pre-prep driving breakfast the night before. Then, if I start keeping nuts in the car, that will keep me through that part of it without wanting the junk. Then ... I'll look this trip for FF places close to my route that have salads and see if there's another on campus option I'm just not aware of because grad students only seem to learn their building..... (leaving campus once I'm there is not going to happen - I never end up having time). Maybe Wendy's chili would be close enough (I'm sure it has added sugar, but on that day I burn double the calories I do on other days) to SC I could allow it.... That might just turn that day around from being an unsatisfying day that I feel ruins my diet every week to something I feel in control of again!
  • mcferg
    Options
    Brandy,

In addition to nuts, you could also keep something like beef jerky in the car (just be sure to look for flavors that aren't high in sugar, i.e. no teriyaki) if you like that. What's nice about it is that the calories are relatively few, and it takes a long time to eat. It's the perfect snack if you're eating to stay awake. Another option at convenience stores is hot dogs - just don't eat the bun (or ketchup). Not exactly health food, but they're cheap and probably won't throw your diet into a tailspin. Oh yeah - and addition to nuts - sunflower seeds in the shell. Assuming you can shell them with your teeth and just keep a cup to spit the shells into, you can pass a lot of time without eating very many. Super-salty, though, so it may not help with water retention, here and there, but that's only temporary. Some convenience stores also sell hardboiled eggs.

If I spent that much time running around, I think I'd have to supplement some bars here and there. There are several (Pure Protein is the brand I eat) that contain very little sugar, though they do contain artificial sweeteners, which Ferris recommends against. You can even get these in convenience stores, but I find that at the gas station, they're typically 2-3 times the price I can get them for at a place like Target or Walmart.

As far as fast food goes - it's rough sledding. I find that salads are, by and large, overpriced and not very filling (assuming you get something with chicken, and if you don't - just not enough to eat). I think the best SCD bet is if you can find a Taco Bell or other Mexican (not sure if you have Del Taco in your area). There, you can get a taco salad with no cheese, no sour cream. The beauty of this is that it has veggies, beef and beans...and the beans make it more filling than other fast food salads. You can usually also get guacamole which is also SCD-friendly and will help fill you up. You can also just get a cup of beans or what have you.

Another option, if you have Carl's Jr. around - there, you can get a low carb $6 burger with no cheese. I believe they also have a low carb grilled chicken sandwich. There was an earlier post here or at 4HBTalk.com regarding Wendy's chili - it's loaded with sugar.

As for the cooler thing - I'd think you could get by without buying ice everyday if you just get several reusable ice packs and refreeze them every night. You may not want to spend the money, but if you're looking for fast-food salads, which are going to run you $4-5 each, it will pay for itself in a hurry.
  • BrandyABrown
    Options
    mcferg, thank you so much for how thought out that response was!

That's part of the problem - I've been running so crazy and I'm not even very familiar with fast food menus to know where to go for what. I always get beef jerky for road trips, that almost made me hit myself on the head. And I think sunflower seeds would be a good rotatable option. That makes 3 EASY happy car options that can get warm with no ill side effects. Nice. I'm going to go to the store and make a car snack box tomorrow I think. Grabbing it on my way out of the house would be very convenient.

I've never eaten at Taco Bell that I can remember - but now I'll know they have a good option for me. And I know there's one in the city I teach in I could drop by on my way to campus to grab something for the evening. Eating that in the car might be a bit dangerous.

I just found a store that isn't too far away that sells quality protein bars last week - I got a couple to test. So add that in on my marathon day as I like to call it - and overall I should come out still able to function at decent capacity and not need to buy an ice chest or something which I just know I'd PLAN to use and get frustrated over. I already feel like a pack mule every time I have to do my traveling day. I might even come out ready to rock on Thursday. Looks like I'm getting back on the SCD train - I had gotten very discouraged by ruining it four weeks in a row and just gone back to adding in carbs and going low-cal.

I'm really excited actually, thanks for the support, it's just what I needed!
  • julie07052
    Options
    Has anyone here used the Athletic Greens that T. Ferriss recommends?
  • mcferg
    Options
    Has anyone here used the Athletic Greens that T. Ferriss recommends?

I wanted to get them, but they're really expensive. Also, I'm actually having no trouble getting plenty of actual greens. The whole website really turned me off. To even get the price, you have to fill out your contact info...THEN, after you do that, if you don't order, they continue to harass you via email about having not ordered. The whole thing smacks of snake oil to me.

I could be wrong - and they may have a great product, but the way they're selling it was such a turnoff. BTW, there are other "greens" out there that are sold through a number of different chains and such (Vibrant Greens, etc). I haven't compared their ingredients (if that's even possible), but I see no reason Athletic Greens should have a corner on the market.
  • eponai
    eponai Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    ok, on that greens note, has anyone tried the PAGG stack ferris recommends? i don't really want to shell out almost 100 bucks on supplements. unless they work, that is. ;)

thanks!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    yes been using PAGG for a week and a half now. I am trying to gain weight with minimal bodyfat increase. I can't say for sure yet but I have increased my cals 500/day on avg. and I am still maintaining weight (or even losing a bit) so far. Not saying it's all PAGG related but that is pretty much the only other change I have made that I can think of.
  • sbracken
    Options
    I have been using PAGG. I'm not sure if it's making a difference or not, but it's not hurting so I'll keep with it.

I'm not so sure about the Athletic Greens. I guess I'd rather get greens from their natural form than some strange powder thing.
  • mcferg
    Options
    I'm using the PAGG. Because of the 2 months for the price of 3, I have a 3 month supply. I have only taken it 4 times once - I keep forgetting. I really don't get the sense that it's doing anything, but how are you to know? So - I'll take it until it's gone, then probably be done with it.

I'm happy to say that it's Wednesday, and my Sunday cheat weight is gone. The last 3 weeks, it's taken until Saturday or the following Sunday to get it off. I'm hoping this means that I will actually see a loss this week - seems like I should. What's interesting is that I haven't exercised at all the last 2 days except for maybe 50 kettlebell swings per day. Coincidence? I dunno. I hate the fact that I'm starting to feel motivated NOT to exercise.
  • sbracken
    Options
    Happy Wednesday!!!!!! My cheat day weight is also gone as of this morning. Yippie!!!! I'm hoping for a nice big number this week come Saturday morning. I did have to change my pants yesterday morning before leaving the house because they were too big on me and just looked awful! So I grabbed a size smaller from the closet and they fit!!!!! So while I lost one pair of pants (and probably a few others), I gained a few that have been hanging in the closet just waiting for me to fit into again.

I haven't worked out much at all this week either. I did do kettleball swings on Monday, but that was it. I'm hoping to move the Wii system into the studio/fitness room today so I can workout without feeling quilty for hogging the main TV.
  • mcferg
    Options
    Happy Wednesday!!!!!! My cheat day weight is also gone as of this morning. Yippie!!!! I'm hoping for a nice big number this week come Saturday morning.

Great! Must be something in the water...
    I must say, though - I'm not really concerned about lbs so much anymore, and I can honestly say that this is the first time I've ever felt that way in my life. My waist is down about 1 1/4" since I started doing this, and my body fat measurement this morning was also down a "notch" on my caliper...which is actually 2mm. Interesting. Maybe exercise is the enemy? I think I'm going to table my strength workout for exercises Ferris recommends (kettlebell, etc, etc) indefinitely. I will continue to run my *kitten* off, though - I've had a cold this week, which is why I haven't done that, but I intend to get back on the road no later than tomorrow.

My biggest change this week is the elimination of diet soda. I didn't stop drinking it because of the artificial sweeteners and the alleged impact on weight loss/gain Ferris suggests. I just don't think it's healthy. I've been getting too much caffeine, and too many chemicals. I really want to ween myself off of caffeine altogether, but for now, I'm drinking unsweetened tea (iced and hot), which does the trick. I don't LOVE it, though, like I do soda, so I'm less inclined to overdo it.
  • circadianswing
    circadianswing Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    a note about kettlebells... I asked my personal trainer to get me started on these, both with a dead lift and then the swing part. After some attempts and 2 trainers watching me, they made note of me curving my back, and not pushing my pelvis in a backward position first to start the motion. If anyone is doing this exercise, I highly recommend you get a pro perhaps at your gym to watch you and insure your posture/motion is correct. As much as they said it was a great exercise, it's a very technical move, and it's very easy to hurt yourself if not done correctly. They moved me back to an air squat with a bench behind me to make sure knees are pointed in same direction as feet, and back is properly arched.
  • walkers345
    walkers345 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hey All! I also lost my cheat weight today, Wednesday!! I am still up .5lbs from two weeks ago, but I am solidly down to pre-cheat weight from last week. I am stoked. Boy, am I sore in my upper back from that kettleball! But that must mean it is doing something. Thanks for the tip Circadian, I don't want to hurt myself. It's weird, the first two days after my binge day, Saturday, I was not hungry really, and forced myself to get my calories. Yesterday, I ate about 1600 cals including some peanut butter at about 9pm. Then I lost like 1.6 lbs when I weighed myself in the morning. I've been reading about calorie cycling or zigzagging. I know we are not supposed to be counting calories, but it's hard not to on MFP, when it's right there in front of you. I'm wondering if I might try to do some cycling a bit. I don't know, because I know that is what our cheat day is meant to do--shake the body up a bit and throw off the metabolism so we continue to burn. Any thoughts?

I ordered some calipers and a fat monitor for $27 on amazon. I know those fat monitors arent very accurate, but I still want to see. I will combine the calipers with it.

Happy Wednesday. Stephanie
  • mcferg
    Options

Brilliant! The whole gas/brakes analogy really helped clear that up for me, and I now see how beneficial it is to keep your knees bent and use the abs as "brakes", as opposed to just allowing your hips to completely straighten. Thanks for posting!
  • JBRENTLINGER
    Options
    I will be starting this March 9th (Lent) and I had a question. What about Almond Milk? I use the unsweetened almond milk with my protein whey shake instead of dairy. Will this be ok?