Looking for other P90 Support

Options

Replies

• MikeK51
    MikeK51 Posts: 317
    Options
    I want to mimic what Brent said and congratulate Mike, Polar, and CCj. You are all doing fantastic.
    Mike...unbelievable how you've improved in just a week.

Rebecca, I also did FBE for the first time ever tonight in place of Cardio 3-4. I will do Abs tomorrow.
    I absolutely loved it. My HRM was beeping away at times, but I was able to keep up with them throughout the whole program.
    It was nice to change it up a little.

It's great to hear all the successes everyone is having.
  • polar5554
    polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    My screen name is Polar5554 but my friends call me Christine. :wink:
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Then I hope you don't mind if we call you Christine :flowerforyou:
  • jybdrummer
    jybdrummer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I did Slim-in-6 and P90x for two years and didn't lose any weight. I joined MFP, started counting calories and I dropped 31lbs in 3 months. I wouldn't recommend P90x.
  • CCJ13
    CCJ13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I did Slim-in-6 and P90x for two years and didn't lose any weight. I joined MFP, started counting calories and I dropped 31lbs in 3 months. I wouldn't recommend P90x.

This is a support thread for people doing P90, not P90X. And I have a hard time believing you didn't see any results. My husband hasn't lost much weight (a couple of pounds) but there is a big difference in his body already & we just ended week 3. I have had very good results too. I'm sorry you didn't get the results you wanted, but I do recommend P90. It's a great workout & it does work.
  • MamaReebs
    MamaReebs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Just finished Day 13, Sculpt 1-2. Felt so good. Was annoying that my son got up early and kept interrupting me, but that's life.
    So, I have a kind of dumb question. Why do I have to get the sensors on my HRM wet when I put it on? I can hear it sensing my hr before I even add the water.
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Reebs I think the water just helps make better contact with the skin, so the reading stays consistent throughout the workout.

Great job on Sculpt today!

Mike
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Hi All - I'd like to join your group, I'm starting P90 on Monday, I'll let you know how it goes.
  • MamaReebs
    Options
    Hi All - I'd like to join your group, I'm starting P90 on Monday, I'll let you know how it goes.
    Welcome! P90 is awesome! I hope you love it as much as we do!
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Stephanie! Share your triumphs and pains with us, and best of luck in getting started.
  • BrentGetsFit
    Options

You've come to the right place, we've got support and encouragement to spare!
  • mommasamfa
    mommasamfa Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Congrats to all on their progress! Welcome to the new folks!

As to soreness, I also say just push through. It'll fade within a few days. Just make sure it's really just soreness and not actual pain.

As to post workout drinks, I use the P90X Results and Recovery Formula. It feels like it does more for me than the whey protein or creatine drinks that I had been using previously.

On rest days I rest though that's the night I stock shelves at the grocery store so perhaps I do a little exercise lifting boxes and walking around the store.

Actually, if you're sore, take it easy, do some yoga or light workouts. The reason you're sore is because when you work out, especially new workouts or if working out is new(er) to you, your body is making little tears in your muscles and when you're sore and you rest it gives it a chance to rebuild itself, if you don't then it could cause some damage. Needless this is depending on HOW sore you are. If its something that you're feeling all day or you're contemplating not working out, then don't. If its something you hardly notice until you go to workout, then don't worry about it. :)
  • Mike523
    Options
    mommasamfa, I'm not sure if you're familiar with the Power 90 program, but there is muscle recovery time built into the program. You do strength training (weights) and cardio/abs on alternating days, so your muscles have time to recover. Plus there is a full rest day every week as well.

Most people will feel some soreness when they first start doing strength training, especially if they have not been very active prior to starting. But this should not be too serious, and should subside by the end of the first week or so. And by taking a protein supplement or a recovery drink after the workouts, the soreness should be even less.

Tony Horton designed this program for beginners, with the ability to go at your own pace, use weights/speed/intensity that are comfortable for your current fitness level, and to increase only as you feel ready. But in order to get the best out of the program you need to do it 6 days per week...
  • mommasamfa
    Options
    While it says they do, it really depends on the person. Nonetheless, you're not NOT using your muscles you used the day before. I've done Power 90. I personally am having an extremely hard time because of the pain I'm in afterward or even before. But coming from a personal trainer's standpoint(not mine) if you're sore, do something else less harsh on the body in general. I hate to say it, but just because you drink a protein shake or something doesn't mean you're completely healed the next day or even the day after that.
  • Mike523
    Options
    I don't think I said anywhere that drinking a protein shake or something will completely heal your muscles, I said it is helpful. And while you're right when you say that everyone is different, most people do not have extreme soreness from the Power 90 program. Im not sure if you have a medical condition that is increasing your level of soreness, but maybe you should consult with your doctor.

Mike
  • MamaReebs
    Options
    Well today is my rest day. I had plans to meet my friend at the park this morning and walk our dogs, but she cancelled becuase she is really sick. I think I am just going to take my dogs for a walk around the neighborhood here in a little bit after my lunch settles. I feel kind of bad that one of my main motivations for exercising is so that I can eat more. But 385 cals is just not enough left for me to have a snack and/or dinner. :blushing:
    I hope everyone is having a great weekend!
  • BrentGetsFit
    Options
    Good for you Reebs for not letting your friend's cancellation affect your exercise! Don't feel bad, some days I revel in the fact that I did cardio and can eat more. Other days, like yesterday I leave all my exercise calories on the table and don't worry about it.

Day 34 of my second round of Power 90, feeling strong, did all push-ups from my toes today. Wishing I had some better dumbbells so I could get a 12 or something but oh well. Master Series has begun mooning me and calling me rude names from the TV stand. I'd start tomorrow if my OCD about finishing Power 90 would let me.

Hope everyone else is staying strong, kickin' butt and takin' names!

Brent
  • MikeK51
    MikeK51 Posts: 317
    Options
    Day 55 for me. Did 2 workouts today. Did Sculpt 3-4 this morning (didn't have time yesterday), and just finished cardio/abs this afternoon. I also went for a walk with my wife and our dog earlier today. I was out in shorts as it was a gorgeous day. I even got time to give my car a quick cleaning.

Welcome to Stephanie and any others I missed over the last few days.

New refrig came today! Just waiting for it to cool off and make sure its working properly.
    Tomorrow my wife will be going out to get us some food. Yeah!!!!!!

Workouts felt Fantastic today. Tomorrow's my off day. Coming into day 60 on Friday!

Brent...I'm like you. I also have OCD traits, and it was so tough for me not to workout yesterday even though I knew I'd make up for it today. But OCD traits can be a good thing too! It keeps us disciplined!
  • mommasamfa
    Options
    I don't think I said anywhere that drinking a protein shake or something will completely heal your muscles, I said it is helpful. And while you're right when you say that everyone is different, most people do not have extreme soreness from the Power 90 program. Im not sure if you have a medical condition that is increasing your level of soreness, but maybe you should consult with your doctor.

Mike

I did, thus why I don't do most of the P90 program, not yet at least. I have to lose some more weight first.
    I was referring to others. You can possibly overwork your back during your sweat or sculpt day, and doing abs it's not going to be a "recovery" day, does that make sense now? I was more saying if you're WHOLE body hurts, then do yoga or something, not if your arms hurt don't work out your legs.
  • forever28
    forever28 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I just ordered Power 90 last night. I'm so freaking excited!! We're going on a cruise in June - just enough time to complete the program, right?! :wink: I've lose 26 lbs since joining MFP in January. I'm excited to start the P90 journey with you all. I need the support!! :flowerforyou: