The 4-Hour Body / Slow-Carb Diet

Options

Replies

• mcferg
    mcferg Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks Mcferg for posting that link to the kettleball info. I'm getting ready to do my kettle ball workout now!. I bought a 25 lb kettle ball and boy is it heavy. If I could do 75 reps that may be a miracle at this point. I would love to get higher!

I'm assuming by your weight goals that you're female. 25 lbs could be a lot to start out with, and it's better to use too little than too much. I use a 35 lb kettlebell, and that's just the right amount for me for the workout above. I also can just do 75-80 swings straight with it, so use that information to factor what you might be able to do.
  • mcferg
    Options
    Well...I didn't end up cheating yesterday after all...and I lost another lb. Crazy, right? Down 3 lbs this week. Unbelievable.
  • sbracken
    Options
    Well...I didn't end up cheating yesterday after all...and I lost another lb. Crazy, right? Down 3 lbs this week. Unbelievable.

That's great!!! Are you going to cheat today?

I'm up a pound from yesterday. Kinda felt like my cheat day was a bit of a waste. After filling up on cookies all afternoon DH didn't want to go out to dinner so I ended up making some mac n cheese for something to eat at about 9pm.
  • mcferg
    Options

That's great!!! Are you going to cheat today?

I'm up a pound from yesterday. Kinda felt like my cheat day was a bit of a waste. After filling up on cookies all afternoon DH didn't want to go out to dinner so I ended up making some mac n cheese for something to eat at about 9pm.

Well, if cheat day is a "waste", and you're only up 1 lb - that's not so bad! I've never had a mere 1 lb gain from cheat day.

I don't know if I'm going to cheat today. I'm not sure I feel like it. I may just skip then switch to Saturday next week. As of right now (about 10 am) I've had 1 meal that was my typical SCD meal. I think I'm going to just go with the flow. I will eat SCD at least through my next meal, then I'll work out. Then maybe I'll cheat a little. I could kind of go for a turkey sandwich. And a beer.
  • mcferg
    Options
    Alright, cheat day...

It's very interesting. I'm actually starting to feel like a "normal" human being and not a garbage disposal (more on that in a minute). My cheat day went like this:

Breakfast: 6 oz grilled chicken, 1/2 cup black beans, sliced tomato (~350 calories)
    Lunch: 2 Del Taco tacos. The regular, crunchy kind. They're 130 calories each, if that matters.
    Dinner: Sandwich (2 slices whole what bread, 4 oz grilled chicken breast, 2 oz cheddar cheese...490 calories), 1 (measured) serving of potato chips (140 calories).
    Other: 5 light beers (~500 calories total)

It was a busy day, but I really haven't wanted to eat more. I'm sitting here at 1740 calories on cheat day. It's nice. I think I may have a small glass of port and some ice cream before bed. That will be about 350 more calories. Don't think i want much more than that...and a ~2100 calorie cheat day would still be a bit above my normal day, I guess.

As for exercise...I have a 75 rep kettleball set that goes like this
    5 swings, rest 10 seconds
    10 swings, rest 10 seconds
    15 sings, rest 10 seconds...repeat 3x
    10 swings rest 10 seconds
    5 swings

I did this 6 times throughout the day. I also took AGG before my breakfast and my dinner. I'll take PAGG before bed.

So - as for the whole feeling "normal" thing....(btw - the following has nothing to do with 4HB or SCD, but I wanted to post it here since this is where my peeps is):

Who's to say what's normal? There's a lot of talk about eating disorders and all that. I would be the last one to trivialize *serious* eating disorders (my younger sister has battled anorexia most of her adult life), but I would contend that anyone who has ever put themselves on a "diet" has an eating disorder. After all - chronic overeating is an eating disorder, and, if we didn't overeat, why would need to lose weight, right?

It's VERY easy for me to relate to anyone who has emotional issues that manifest themselves with problems food. I'm one of those people. My wife is one of those people. What I can't figure out is WHY I can't go sit on a couch and talk to someone about it. I mean...I could...but at what cost? It's not like insurance pays for that stuff. Meanwhile, I drive to work on a highway littered with billboards advertising the lap band with taglines like "all insurance accepted". So - you'll pay for me to go under the knife, if I'm heavy enough, but you won't pay for me to see a shrink to address the psychological issues I have with food?!

A year ago, I was at the doctor for a physical. I had been quite a bit heavier the last time I'd seen him, and had managed to lose a chunk of the weight prior to the appointment. In fact, I'm sure that's one of the reasons why I made the appointment I'd been putting off for a few years - I was finally comfortable enough to go. He said to me, "You know - your obesity is in remission. It's not 'gone'. I want you to think of obesity as a disease...like cancer. If you had cancer that was in remission, you wouldn't suddenly stop treating it. You wouldn't suddenly stop doing the things that caused it to recede, right?" He then told me that he wanted me to start seeing a nutritionist on a regular basis. Now, I know a fair bit about nutrition. My other sister (non-anorexic), who is also one of my best friends, is a registered dietician. I've read every "diet" book on the planet. I read nutrition facts on the internet for entertainment. I'm sure many of you are the same way. However, my doctor said - I'm sure you know what you're supposed to do, but I want you do this for accountability.

Well, I looked into it. My insurance would only cover it if I were diabetic. The cost was prohibitive. End of story.

I don't know what my point is here. I could go on a rant about the conspiracy between healthcare givers, pharmaceutical manufacturers and insurance companies, but, well...I dunno.
  • mcferg
    Options
    I guess I may as well continue my monopolization of this thread, for now...

In my last thread, I had a pretty light cheat day, but after that, I guess something set me off. I had a handful of snack mix, which quickly turned into what I approximate as 450 calories worth. I then proceeded to eat 2 full cups of ice cream (600 calories) and about 500 calories worth of mini candy bars. So, my day ended up being about 3200-3300 calories, which really isn't horrendous as a cheat day, and I don't feel bad about it...it's just that earlier in the day, I was completely satisfied with just moderate cheating.

Anyway - I went to bed bloated, but slept well and woke up feeling great. I'm up 3 lbs. I was hoping the number would be no larger than that, since that's the amount of weight I lost last week. That means I'm starting this week at the same weight I ended last week. That's not too shabby. It also kind of validates my end-of-week weight last week as "real" and not some freakish dip in my water weight. Part of me fully expected to be up 8 or 9 lbs this morning.

I'm not making any huge changes this week, but I am going to start drinking half and half in my coffee. I ordered a box of the individual servings (9 ml) from Amazon. The should have about 12 calories each. I will try to stick to 1, but will allow myself no more than 2. That's the only change I'm making. I know it has milk. I know. But it just seems like a better option than the sugar free creamers made with oil and artificial sweetener.

I haven't had any weekly weight loss goals on this diet. In general, I think they're a bad idea, because in the context of a week, a lot of things can happen to swing your weight one way or the other in pretty dramatic fashion, even if you stick to a plan that works. The long term trends are what really matters. However, as I finished out this past week at 180.5 lbs, I cannot help but want to lose 0.5 lbs (or 0.6). It's just a number, but...

That being said, to this point, the weight I've used to define "my weight" in my head is my pre-cheat day weight (i.e. the lowest weight I weigh during the week). However, I realize that my goal weight of 175 lbs - I want that to be the most that I weigh during the week. So, I'm just kind of mentally readjusting to the fact that "my weight" is not 180.5, but is really 183.5. I'm going to continue to track my low weight here - for the sake of consistency, but I realize now that my pre-cheat-day goal is likely something south of 175.
  • Christin09
    Christin09 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    So - as for the whole feeling "normal" thing....(btw - the following has nothing to do with 4HB or SCD, but I wanted to post it here since this is where my peeps is):

Who's to say what's normal? There's a lot of talk about eating disorders and all that. I would be the last one to trivialize *serious* eating disorders (my younger sister has battled anorexia most of her adult life), but I would contend that anyone who has ever put themselves on a "diet" has an eating disorder. After all - chronic overeating is an eating disorder, and, if we didn't overeat, why would need to lose weight, right?

It's VERY easy for me to relate to anyone who has emotional issues that manifest themselves with problems food. I'm one of those people. My wife is one of those people. What I can't figure out is WHY I can't go sit on a couch and talk to someone about it. I mean...I could...but at what cost? It's not like insurance pays for that stuff. Meanwhile, I drive to work on a highway littered with billboards advertising the lap band with taglines like "all insurance accepted". So - you'll pay for me to go under the knife, if I'm heavy enough, but you won't pay for me to see a shrink to address the psychological issues I have with food?!

A year ago, I was at the doctor for a physical. I had been quite a bit heavier the last time I'd seen him, and had managed to lose a chunk of the weight prior to the appointment. In fact, I'm sure that's one of the reasons why I made the appointment I'd been putting off for a few years - I was finally comfortable enough to go. He said to me, "You know - your obesity is in remission. It's not 'gone'. I want you to think of obesity as a disease...like cancer. If you had cancer that was in remission, you wouldn't suddenly stop treating it. You wouldn't suddenly stop doing the things that caused it to recede, right?" He then told me that he wanted me to start seeing a nutritionist on a regular basis. Now, I know a fair bit about nutrition. My other sister (non-anorexic), who is also one of my best friends, is a registered dietician. I've read every "diet" book on the planet. I read nutrition facts on the internet for entertainment. I'm sure many of you are the same way. However, my doctor said - I'm sure you know what you're supposed to do, but I want you do this for accountability.

Well, I looked into it. My insurance would only cover it if I were diabetic. The cost was prohibitive. End of story.

I don't know what my point is here. I could go on a rant about the conspiracy between healthcare givers, pharmaceutical manufacturers and insurance companies, but, well...I dunno.

I completely agree with you! It doesn't seem like they are will to fix the underlying problem and they go for the "quick" fix which only ends up costing them more in the long run because of the fact that many people who get surgery to fix their obesity issues end up going back to their old habits (as do many people who "change their lifestyles)

I myself am not aware of any emotional issues I have with food but the problem is I may not have figured them out yet... I have to have issues obviously shown by the fact that I am over weight. I feel an addiction towards food and can't convince myself to quit eating when full a lot of the time. (this diet is actually perfect for this cause I seem to get WAY full way easy) I have said before I have a food addiction and part of the recovery is admitting a problem... but now what?
  • mcferg
    Options
    I completely agree with you! It doesn't seem like they are will to fix the underlying problem and they go for the "quick" fix which only ends up costing them more in the long run because of the fact that many people who get surgery to fix their obesity issues end up going back to their old habits (as do many people who "change their lifestyles)

Not to get all conspiracy theory, but doesn't this make a little too much sense:

Step 1: You pay a ridiculous amount for health insurance
    Step 2: For one reason or another, you become overweight
    Step 3: One of the following:
    A. You get a prescription that's supposed to help you lose weight OR
    B. You get a prescription(s) to treat the symptoms of weight gain OR
    C. You get some sort of gastric surgery to correct the weight gain OR
    D. Your obesity-related ailments land you in the hospital
    Step 4: Either your obesity or obesity related ailments go into "remission"
    Step 5: Time passes and you fall back on old habits, oh, and by the way, your insurance rates just went up.

Rinse, repeat.
    Step 1: The insurance companies get paid
    Step 3: Health care providers, makers of devices such as lap bands and pharmaceutical corporations get paid

And this cycle never stops.
    So, would it NOT make sense that all these folks would be in bed together? Jus' sayin'...

Imagine this scenario:

Step 1: You pay a ridiculous amount for health insurance
    Step 2: You receive treatment for the actual cause of your obesity problem.
    Step 3: Oh, wait...there is no step 3.

I say, "imagine" that scenario, because that's all you'll ever be able to do.
    I know, I know...I'm starting to sound like a crazy person...must be the coffee.
    I myself am not aware of any emotional issues I have with food but the problem is I may not have figured them out yet... I have to have issues obviously shown by the fact that I am over weight. I feel an addiction towards food and can't convince myself to quit eating when full a lot of the time. (this diet is actually perfect for this cause I seem to get WAY full way easy) I have said before I have a food addiction and part of the recovery is admitting a problem... but now what?

I'm not a psychologist, and I would be the last person to attempt to diagnose anyone for anything, except maybe chicken pox. However...I believe that any addiction is, in part, the compulsory substitution of whatever it is you're addicted to for something else. Something that you don't have or are not getting. Don't get me wrong - I've known a few overweight people who seem to be genuinely happy people, who are comfortable in their own skin, and I think that's awesome (health issues aside). However, if being overweight bothers you, yet you continually put yourself in a position to be overweight, there's likely something emotional at the root of it.

I'm kind of with you, though, Christin - I don't KNOW of what my emotional issues are, though I do believe I have them. I don't feel unloved nor do I overeat to exercise some sort of control or for attention (though that might be why I post all these ridiculously long posts on this board), but there's something really wrong here. I HATE being overweight on so many levels, and I'm consumed by it. It seems simple enough to take the knowledge I have about diet, nutrition and exercise and get myself in shape and STAY there, but I continually slide back. That's not normal. Well, scratch that. If "normal" is based on population percentages, maybe it is normal, but it's not healthy. When you factor in the fact that, once motivated to start a program, I genuinely don't mind being on it. So, if eating a healthy diet isn't horrible, but being fat really is - why in the world would I do anything else other than eat right and keep myself in shape?!

So, there ya go. The battle rages on.
  • circadianswing
    circadianswing Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Mcferg, you articulate some really good points in regards to eating disorder. I never thought I had an issue with food; however, I notice some new behaviors about my eating on this controlled diet. First off, when I have a cheat day, I'm amazed about how much I "feel the need" (as opposed to being hungry) to consume food. I'm not even hungry, but I've got an allotted amount of time to satisfy my mental hunger for all these foods that are off limits for the next week. I will say I have completely indulged myself to the point of not being crazy sick, but definitely to the point where it's not a "normal" day of eating (prior to the diet). I definitely go out of my way to eat some garbage food. What is really strange is how annoyed I am at the fact that I may not be hungry enough to consumer these foods.

What is also strange is that the other 6 days on the program I do no portion control and find myself nicely satiated most of the time. I don't disparage too much about the meal plan, unless I'm eyeing the margarita or tortilla chips at the mexican restaurant. I really do eat until I'm content and it's a very freeing experience to know I'm enjoying the food, I don't go into a food coma, and it's good for me.

Currently, I'm totally hung up with doing a weigh in daily and being competitive with myself to get to a goal; however, I'm really in this for the long haul and hopeful this diet is a lifestyle rather than a program with an end date.

Good stuff, thanks for keeping your "peeps" and the thread going!
  • VagabondAndrea
    VagabondAndrea Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I'm Andrea. I just started today after purchasing the book last night. I only have 10lbs or so to loose, I am really active, and unfortunately love food way too much to loose anything. I maintain well, just don't loose well. I like the go big or go home concept, strict throughout the week with a day to eat all those mean cravings that have been burning a hole in the pit of your stomach.

So far my day has been like this:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 2 egg whites, 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, 1/4 cup black beans
    Snack: 1/4 cup walnuts
    Lunch: coconut chicken curry with 1/2 cup green beans, and some kidney beans. For the curry I only used 1/2 can coconut milk, yellow curry powder, ginger, and garlic then simmered 6 chicken thighs in it. This was enough for my daughter and I for 2 meals.
    Snack: can tuna
    Dinner: leftover chicken curry, (2) 4oz servings cab sav, which honestly I am finding it to be sweet by the end of the day.

Tonight I enjoyed a 30 min leisurely bike ride

I am glad I found this forum, I think I can use this to hold me accountable. Ienjoy reading everyones adventures. Cheers to starting mine and good luck!
  • walkers345
    walkers345 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    These are really good posts. I have actually had some struggles this week with being optimistic about the plan. I am staying fully committed when it comes to the 4HB eating , but I am having some struggles this week staying mentally committed, as I have some questions about how it may affect me in the long run (mentally).

I have turned to food to deal with feelings that I didn't want to feel since I was 14 or 15 years old. It became my coping mechanism when I wanted to numb myself. I had a wonderful childhood and have no history of abuse or anything serious like that, but for all my little wounds as a child and through adolescence, I have turned to food to forget any intense feelings. I have recently become aware (with help) that I actually was doing this. It became so ingrained in my behavior that it was on a subconscious level. Anytime I was stressed or anxious, or something went slightly off kilter during my day ( I am a perfectionist and I like routine), I turned to food to make myself feel ok.

I have also realized that I tend to deprive myself of many things in life, and please don't judge me here, as I am trying to be very truthful, but I thought I held myself to a higher standard compared to everyone else I guess. For example, I judged against any unhealthy eating like pizza and icecream. I frowned upon trashy tabloid magazines (because I thought I was above them). And the most important and damaging restriction, I would not expressing my feelings and emotions when I felt them, because, I thought I must take the high road and be better than that. I was raised to be polite and not cause a scene.

All of this came back to bite me in the *kitten*! I ended up binging when I could not restrict any more! I turned to food when I could not deal with my stuffed-away emotions that I never et surface. This happened weekly or 2-3 x a month. I ended up feeling intense guilt afterwards which only made me feel more like a failure.

My parents did not encourage expression of emotions. My mother and father still cannot express emotions like sadness, elation, without having a weird shame associated with it. Arguing is not really acceptable and my dad walks away from any conflict, and I literally mean, he walks out of the room with the slightest emotional discussion. This probably comes from their parents and the generation in which they grew up. That is neither here nor there. It is up to me to end my coping behavior, and I am trying to deal with emotions as they come up, and say what I feel, without always trying to please.

Anyways, I am wondering if my binge day, is helping me or contributing to my past patterns. I have mixed feelings, because it has taking away from the guilt associated with my past binges, and I am not binging for the reasons I once was. But the concept of restriction is still there.
    I also think, well, there has to be some restriction-or I cannot lose any weight. I can't go through life indulging in all my desires.

Those are just my thoughts this week. I plan on pushing through, and I made an appointment to talk this through. (which I highly recommend).

Stephanie
  • sbracken
    sbracken Posts: 79
    Options
    @circadianswing....I know what you mean about trying to cram in all that junk food on cheat day. I struggled this Saturday because I made cookies in the afternoon, ate 2 and DH ate thte rest, so he wasn't hungry for dinner. But I still felt like I needed to get more calories in since the only "real food" we had was Burger King downtown, so I ended up making some mac n cheese for myself and being in a general bad mood the rest of the night because of it. Guess I was wanting some really great dinner out, and since it didn't work out that way I was pissy the rest of the night. Then we ended up going out the next night for dinner with my FIL.....and I had to stick to the plan and ended up passing on the tummy bread and a baked potato with my steak. Oh well.

I struggled yesterday since I woke up at 4am with a migraine! Ugh!!!! I ended up having tuna noodle for dinner since that's what DH wanted and I just didn't have the motivation to make myself something different. And all I had to do was reheat that in the oven. And since I hadn't really eaten anything all day (upset stomach from the migraine) I figured it wouldn't hurt my end results that much. And it didn't. I'm back to the plan today. We're heading out to dinner on Friday with a bunch of friends. So I'm debating on moving my cheat day up. We're going to a Mexican restaurant, so I don't think it would be difficult to stick to plan there. And since I'll be at work all day.....it's not like I'll be sitting around eating whatever I want all day anyway. Maybe I'll just go with a cheat meal or evening on Friday instead of doing a full cheat day.
  • mcferg
    Options
    @circadianwing:

I know exactly what you mean about feeling frustrated with not being hungry enough to eat all of the stuff you can't eat during the week. It even seems crazier (for lack of a better word) when you consider the NEXT cheat day is only a week away. I feel exactly the same way you do during the week - I don't measure anything, I stick to the plan, and I feel great. I'm not hungry, but I don't ever overeat. Yet, on cheat day, I experience almost a slight sense of panic as it draws to a close. Why? There's not a single non-cheat day that I feel deprived or that I don't actually enjoy the food I'm eating. So, why the panic?

I don't personally think that a "food addiction" can be looked at the same way as other addictions. I know I'm stating the obvious here, but you need food to live, as opposed to something like alcohol which you could certainly do without. I mean, in a sense, everyone has a physical dependence on food, so we could all be considered food addicts. I think that it makes more sense to look at what most consider "food addiction" as an addiction to overeating, because that's really what we're talking about. For many of us, it's not simply food that satisfies the craving...it's overeating. So, if you look at things from that perspective...I'm "falling off the wagon" every Sunday, which means that every Sunday evening, I know it's back to rehab Monday morning.

Of course, this is a bit of hyperbole. I don't actually panic - it's more of a mild anxiety. My point, though, is that those cheat days give you just a little taste of your "past life" with regards to food, which means you have to, on a weekly basis, deal with changing your habits back again. I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing. In fact, I think it's one reason why this program has real long-term potential, at least for me. After all - we don't all get way overweight because we blow it for one day. It happens because it snowballs, and we do nothing to rectify or undo it. I think that the psychological training that takes place when you have a calculated cheat day then return to healthy eating is valuable. I also think that over time, those anxieties we're having about the cheat day ending or not being able to get all your cheat food in may start to subside somewhat.

@stephanie:

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. I think that your experiences are very similar to mine, and it really helps illustrate that having emotional issues with food doesn't necessarily mean you had a horrible childhood or suffered some catastrophic event. I think the way things went down for you are very similar to what many have experienced. The thing is - when you turn to food here and there, to avoid dealing with feelings...what happens when you enter certain periods of your life when, say, the stress level is elevated? You end up having an extended period of overeating. At least that's true for me.

I also know what you mean about not losing without restricting. Although, at least at this point, I feel like the restricting just occurs naturally if I follow the SCD fairly closely. Maybe the way to play it is to still follow the notion of eating when you're hungry, but eating even smaller meals. You may find that you don't feel hungry even with the smaller meals, and end up eating less. Another option is to fool around with the ratios of the different foods on your plate. I tend to go a little lighter on the legumes and a little heavier on the veggies the first couple of days after cheat day. The result is that my plate looks just as full, but it's fewer calories.

@sbracken:

It's frustrating, isn't it...to spend all week anticipating cheat day, then having it fall short of your expectations? I think if I were in your shoes, I'd just stay on plan Friday, so you can enjoy the full splendor of cheat day on Saturday, unless there's a non-SCD meal at this Mexican restaurant that you love so much it will keep you on track for a full week beyond that. Or at least that's how I would play it.

@VagabondAndrea:

Welcome to the SCD!
  • Christin09
    Christin09 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Little off topic, note to self don't buy Planters Select mixed nuts! They are horribly addicting and totally trigger foods!
  • circadianswing
    Options
    I don't actually panic - it's more of a mild anxiety. My point, though, is that those cheat days give you just a little taste of your "past life" with regards to food, which means you have to, on a weekly basis, deal with changing your habits back again. I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing. In fact, I think it's one reason why this program has real long-term potential, at least for me. After all - we don't all get way overweight because we blow it for one day. It happens because it snowballs, and we do nothing to rectify or undo it. I think that the psychological training that takes place when you have a calculated cheat day then return to healthy eating is valuable. I also think that over time, those anxieties we're having about the cheat day ending or not being able to get all your cheat food in may start to subside somewhat.

agreed Mcferg, a mild anxiety, where I start trying to plan the day before, or just think about meals. It's like having a big event to get dressed for. All week, I have an ordinary rotation of clothing to work in. I don't really care what I throw on, and I'm usually comfortable. But every Saturday is like an Oscar after party, and I have to consider my options... (like Shannon mentioned about the mac n cheese), you get all dressed up and ready, and went to the wrong party, wrong food, wrong atmosphere, and you miss out on a week. I would really like to try to have an unexciting cheat day and perhaps do little more than some cheese and a little dairy, perhaps some bread,

Stephanie, I would hesitate to pin point where all these issues with food are coming from. I wouldn't look to far into my past, as it's most likely a combination of stress, upbringing, habits, and general laziness, etc. I've been watching that A&E show Heavy about the really big people, it's a weekly motivation show for me on Monday nights, and although I'm not even in that ball park, it's a group therapy situation... one where you say, wow, I'm glad I'm not 650lbs, can't walk etc, so I get a little motivation.

I take comfort in the fact that the other 6 days a week have been great, and I have no signs of burning out on this, and it's not work to stay on it.
  • mcferg
    Options
    I've been watching that A&E show Heavy about the really big people, it's a weekly motivation show for me on Monday nights, and although I'm not even in that ball park, it's a group therapy situation... one where you say, wow, I'm glad I'm not 650lbs, can't walk etc, so I get a little motivation.

I have only seen that show once or twice, but I watch The Biggest Loser Regularly. I love those shows, because I relate to those people. I've never been in the ballpark of obesity those folks are in, but I definitely relate to them. I will get to a certain weight, then put on the brakes, but it's very easy for me to envision how easy it would be to *not* do that once or twice, and end up in the same situation they're in. I get very emotional when I watch those programs, because I genuinely empathize with the contestants/subjects. Like you, CS, it's therapeutic for me, at least in the sense that any inkling I may have to feel sorry for myself is erased. The only difference between me and them is that I'm fortunate enough to be able to turn on the brakes before things get that far out of hand. Otherwise, we're exactly the same, but I often wonder how many times I'm going to be able to do it.

What's kind of funny to me is that I think Tim Ferris is a total cheeseball/narcissist who is rich enough to screw around with all of this stuff, and just kind of "got lucky" with a few things. What's funny about it is that I can see this diet as more of a long-term solution (and a truly healthy one) than any other program I've been on (and believe me, I've been on many). Weird.
  • circadianswing
    Options
    I'm not ready to claim success by any means, as I'm still not even halfway to my goal. However, I just wanted to post my original pic with an updated pic from tonight, as I definitely see results in my face and neck thinning out.

2u62ujs.jpg

by the way, posting this pic was harder than it should have been! grrr.
  • motufit
    motufit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Great job circadianswing you're on your way! How tall are you? We both started around the same time with SCD and around the same weight. 225 lbs for me and I'm 5'8". Goal is around 165 so I got quite a few more pounds to lose.
  • sbracken
    sbracken Posts: 79
    Options
    DH and I are huge watchers of the Biggest Loser! I love Jillian and Bob!!!!! But I just get floored everytime I watch the weighins and these people are dropping 20lbs in a week! Nuts!!!! Then I saw the one episode that showed their meal plan for the day (the one off-campus with the new trainers) and they were only eating 1100 cals a day!!!!!!!! No wonder they're able to lose weight like that and then wonder why they have trouble once they get off the ranch and into the real world after the show.

I totally think this plan is sustainable as a "lifestyle". Once I hit my goal I'll probably add in some carbs at dinner so I'm not quite the short order cook at home. But the rest of the day will probably continue to be much the same.
  • VagabondAndrea
    VagabondAndrea Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow circadianswing, amazing difference between the two pics, great job!

So far yesterday went very well, I ate pretty much the same thing as the first, minus the curry. Today, I woke up ravenous, but I cooked my breakfast (just a 2 egg omlet, 1/2 cup kidney beans, and hot salsa) instead of wanting to grab a quick bowel of multi grain cereal. I never used to like beans except for hummus, but now I am depending on them to keep hunger at bay, and it really does work. Hope I can stay on track for the rest of the day!