Homemade Clif Bars (No Bake)

Options
polar5554
polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
Here is a recipe that I found on Enlightened Cooking for homemade Clif Bars...Let me just say, they are AWESOME!!

Here is the link...

http://enlightenedcooking.blogspot.com/2008/06/homemade-cliff-bars-no-bake.html

This is the recipe that we used, however there are soooo many different variations!!!

1 and 1/4 cups crisp rice cereal (e.g., I like Erwhon Crisp Brown, but Rice Krispies are fine)
1 cup uncooked quick-cooking oats
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed (flaxseed meal)
1/4 cup finely chopped dried fruit (e.g., raisins, dried cranberries, dried cherries, etc.) (we used Craisens)
1/4 cup finely chopped nuts or seeds (pepitas are great) (we used sliced Almonds)
1/3 cup brown rice syrup
1/2 cup nut butter (preferably natural, well-stirred, but creamy is fine, too) (We used Almond Butter)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Optional: 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Combine the rice cereal, oats, flaxseed meal, dried fruit, and nuts in a large bowl.

Combine the syrup and nut butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until melted and well-blended (alternatively microwave in small microwave-safe bowl 30-60 seconds until melted). Stir in vanilla until blended.

Pour nut butter mixture over cereal mixture, stirring until coated (use a wooden spoon at first, then get your hands in it. It will be sticky, but this way you can really coat everything. Just scrape off your hands when you're done). Press mixture firmly into an 8-inch square pan (sprayed with nonstick cooking spray) using a large square of wax paper (really tamp it down). Cool in pan on a wire rack and chill at least 30 minutes to help it set. Cut into 12 bars. (Wrap bars tightly in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator).

Also, we did the math, and it came out to be around .65 each per bar (for 8 bars). The original recipe I think states 12 smaller bars, but we made it into 8 larger sized bars.

Additionally, this cost can go down a lot more if you use generic rice cereal and cheaper almond butter or peanut butter. I think ultimately after a few modifications in ingredients you can easily get these bars down to .40 each (as opposed to $1.00 for a Clif Bar).

ENJOY!!

Here are some pictures of the finished product...

photo1-1.jpg
photo2-1.jpg
photo3-2.jpg

Replies

• polar5554
    Options
    Fixed Pictures...
  • sbusch21
    sbusch21 Posts: 43
    Options
    bump
  • gebnpb
    gebnpb Posts: 166
    Options
    Bump
  • polar5554
    Options
    Bump
  • GinoATC
    GinoATC Posts: 60
    Options
    bump
  • Mrsbonno
    Mrsbonno Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    ok i'm lost, why is everyone saying "bump"????
  • rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Those sound awesome... this might be a silly question, but where in the grocery store can I find brown rice syrup? I've never bought it before :tongue:
  • Iris0022
    Iris0022 Posts: 54
    Options
    bump!
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    This is definitely on my to do list.
  • polar5554
    Options
    In our store it's in the organic section, if that helps.
  • polar5554
    Options
    Bump
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I've made those before. I used cranberries for the dried fruit, peanut butter for the nut butter, fiber one for the rice cereal, and honey or fructose for the sweetener. I also added protein powder for some extra protein. They are so... good :)
  • am_last10lbs
    am_last10lbs Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'm going to see if I can make a gluten free version of this. I went to buy proteins bars and they were over $50 for 12, which is insane!
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Thanks, I'm going to see if I can make a gluten free version of this. I went to buy proteins bars and they were over $50 for 12, which is insane!

I made a gluten free version! I used Nature's Path GF Crunchy Vanilla Sunrise cereal and they're awesome! :bigsmile:
  • Sharonbed4d
    Sharonbed4d Posts: 163
    Options
    bump
  • am_last10lbs
    am_last10lbs Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Kelynn....I'm going to add a little vanilla whey in place of the vanilla extract and make them more into protein bars
  • stephy6
    stephy6 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Kelynn....I'm going to add a little vanilla whey in place of the vanilla extract and make them more into protein bars

Yea, all I had was chocolate peanut butter flavored protein powder (and I don't care for it too much), but I would have added vanilla protein powder if I had it! Sounds yummy! :smile:
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    bump