Starting Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred (in 6 weeks)

Replies

• cnjulian
    cnjulian Posts: 4
    A day late..but after the first 7 days I lost 1 pound. I also lost an inch in both waist and hips!

CW-174
    GW-140
  • gjspiller
    gjspiller Posts: 115 Member
    A day late..but after the first 7 days I lost 1 pound. I also lost an inch in both waist and hips!

CW-174
    GW-140

AWESOME!!!!! good job!!!
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    @gjspiller I ALWAYS gain when starting a new or more intensive program. I'm on D1L2 and I gained like3 lbs before losing it and then another 3.8. Here's a good article on it: http://chalenejohnson.blogspot.com/2009/01/why-do-you-sometimes-gain-weight-when.html

Excerpt: The temporary weight gain explained:
    When someone starts a new exercise program, they often experience muscle soreness. The more intense and "unfamiliar" the program, the more intense the muscle soreness. This soreness is most prevalent 24 to 48 hours after each workout. In the first few weeks of a new program, soreness is the body trying to
    "protect and defend" the effected or targeted tissue. Exercise physiologists refer to this as delayed-onset muscle soreness, or DOMS.

This type of soreness is thought to be caused by tissue breakdown or microscopic tears in muscle tissue. When this happens the body protects the tissue. The muscle becomes inflamed and slightly swollen with fluid retention. This temporary retention of fluid can result in a 3- to 4-pound weight gain within a few weeks of a new program. Keep in mind that muscle soreness is not necessarily a reflection of how hard you worked. In fact, some people feel no signs of muscle soreness, yet will experience the muscle protection mechanisms of water retention and slight swelling.

Most people are motivated enough to put up with this temporary muscle soreness. Yet, many, especially those who really need immediate weight loss to keep them motivated in those first couple of weeks become discouraged and quit!

As a side note, I hurt today. :frown: My shoes are not holding up to the side lunges/skates and I have shin splints. Boo!! Modify, modify, modify :tongue:
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    L1D3- DONE!
  • TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    My how our group has grown! That's awesome!

Didn't check in yesterday, but I did do L1D6 and felt great afterwords. I did a few extra minutes of that last ab exercise. It kicks my butt, so I figure it must me doing something good? I was planning to do L1D7 tonight, but I pulled something in my back at work today :sad: Not thrilled about this b/c it is going to mess up the schedule I had planned for the Shred. But what can ya do? :ohwell:

Welcome to all the newbies and hello hello to everyone else! Keep it up! Everyone is doing so great :flowerforyou:
  • TakeOne
    ok hi y'all!!

i usually weigh in on sun. so i'm going to report my progress from yesterday's weigh in.

i GAINED a pound.

but i'm not totally surprised. fri. i went out with the girls for margaritas and then had In N Out double double (the hubby bought it; i was weak and drunk:drinker: and inhaled it). then, sun. i ate "bad" ALL day. this week will be a better week.

i did feel stronger physically this week. after day 3 on the Shred, i was feeling good!!!

today i did L1, D5 so i will be moving on to L2 tomorrow. wish me luck:tongue:

it's so true though. it does get easier. so you first week-ers HANG IN THERE!!!!! you'll see the light at the end of the tunnel. if you just do 5 pushups one day, strive to do 6 the next. if you do 10 good jumping jacks, do 12 good ones next time. it's the little improvements that will add up. you'll feel strong if you stick to it.

i think maybe next week i'll check my measurements. we'll see....

GOOD JOB to everyone that is sticking to it! believe it or not, you guys motivate me. i push myself, knowing that you are, too, and seeing results. bravo to those that lost weight this week, as well as to the peeps that are facing their challenges. PUSH yourself! (as Jillian, would say).

as i said before, i'm planning to do 3 days, then rest, then 2 days of 30DS. i am also supplementing my 30DS with 20-40 minutes of extra cardio, like Just Dance2, Zumba, and treadmill run/walks. i also do 5k walks with my workmates 1-2xs/week.

i gained weight because i didn't stay within my caloric intake goal. but i will get it...

please make sure you CHECK IN with us weekly (Mondays). it'll help motivate each other. and of course, we can help each other with tips.

PUSH!

guen

How are you moving through the levels? Are you doing 10 days of each consecutively or are you skipping around? Just curious...I never really thought about skipping around (even tho I have L1 memorized by now..lol). What about everyone else?
  • almondbliss
    almondbliss Posts: 115
    D8 L2 Done!
  • gjspiller
    @gjspiller I ALWAYS gain when starting a new or more intensive program. I'm on D1L2 and I gained like3 lbs before losing it and then another 3.8. Here's a good article on it: http://chalenejohnson.blogspot.com/2009/01/why-do-you-sometimes-gain-weight-when.html

When someone starts a new exercise program, they often experience muscle soreness. The more intense and "unfamiliar" the program, the more intense the muscle soreness. This soreness is most prevalent 24 to 48 hours after each workout. In the first few weeks of a new program, soreness is the body trying to
    "protect and defend" the effected or targeted tissue. Exercise physiologists refer to this as delayed-onset muscle soreness, or DOMS.

This type of soreness is thought to be caused by tissue breakdown or microscopic tears in muscle tissue. When this happens the body protects the tissue. The muscle becomes inflamed and slightly swollen with fluid retention. This temporary retention of fluid can result in a 3- to 4-pound weight gain within a few weeks of a new program. Keep in mind that muscle soreness is not necessarily a reflection of how hard you worked. In fact, some people feel no signs of muscle soreness, yet will experience the muscle protection mechanisms of water retention and slight swelling.

Most people are motivated enough to put up with this temporary muscle soreness. Yet, many, especially those who really need immediate weight loss to keep them motivated in those first couple of weeks become discouraged and quit!

As a side note, I hurt today. :frown: My shoes are not holding up to the side lunges/skates and I have shin splints. Boo!! Modify, modify, modify :tongue:

thanks for the tip (and the link) and the motivation!!!!!
  • gjspiller
    ok..i have sucky news today. i'm so bummed.

i slipped and fell in the shower this morning. i hit my head and back. i just got back from the hospital and they don't think i have a concussion.

so i'll be recovering...hopefully i'll be working on L2 in the next few days.

i'll still be checking in on you guys.

i'll probably do some walking or treadmill...but no hopping or jumping or sharp movements.
    :cry: :sad:
  • partcho
    partcho Posts: 225
    oh man, sorry to hear this! Do take it easy on yourself, you're right. Hope you're better soon!!
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 983 Member

Thanks for posting this....
  • ok..i have sucky news today. i'm so bummed.

i slipped and fell in the shower this morning. i hit my head and back. i just got back from the hospital and they don't think i have a concussion.

i'll probably do some walking or treadmill...but no hopping or jumping or sharp movements.

Hope your ok ;-)

I have done day 3 of level 1 and I ache... it's a good ache though ;-)
  • almondbliss
    almondbliss Posts: 115
    D9 L2 Done! And I also found out I'm in better shape than my 6 yr old.
  • prila13
    prila13 Posts: 222 Member
    just checking in to let everyone know i wont be doing 30DS for a few days. i hurt my back somehow. dr. said light duty for a week. as of right now, i can only walk a few paces without having to bend over. but, i will be back when my back is rested and in good shape. good luck to you all and i will be in touch soon!
  • prila13
    prila13 Posts: 222 Member
    ok..i have sucky news today. i'm so bummed.

it looks like we are in the same boat! get well soon.
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    L1D4- DONE!

Eek! Guen! Hope you're feeling better. 30DS will be ready for you when you are ready for it. We will be here too!
  • TakeOne
    Guen!! Oh no! Take it easy the next few days. I hope you are feeling better soon.

HealthierMamasit ~ Nice job!!

Everyone else ~ Keep pushing!! We can all do this together : )

Well I took it easy yesterday b/c of my back. Luckily it felt much better by this afternoon, so I was able to do L1D7 : ) I feel like the next 3 days of L1 are going to be a snoze and I am def ready for L2. Currently this is the only JM DVD I have and I was wondering if you all have any suggestions for a great ab workout?? Doesn't have to be JM. Hopefully the next 2 levels will be different, but right now I just don't feel it in the abs. Does this make sence?? Def feeling it in the arms tho!!! hahaha
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    I took yesterday off due to migraine. Normally I'd take my meds and push through it, but it lasted all day :grumble:

Anyways, today I cheated girls. I did Ripped in 30 for the first time...and I really really really liked it..:indifferent: :embarassed: :bigsmile:
  • gjspiller
    D9 L2 Done! And I also found out I'm in better shape than my 6 yr old.

BRAVO!!!
  • gjspiller
    good job to those that are keeping up with 30 DS!!! (i'm jealous. so jealous)

for those of us that are...injured or not well, don't be discouraged. we'll be back on track in no time. i'm going to try walking on the treadmill tonight. doctor said i don't have a concussion, but i should watch out for symptoms the next few days. i'm such a clumsy DORK! LOL

keep pushing GIRLS!!

guen
This discussion has been closed.