New "married 30 something" group anyone??

Options

Replies

• Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    How quickly alcohol adds up. Some weekend nights I have consumed almost 100 calories in drinks. By the time you have a pre-dinner cocktail, a couple glasses of wine with dinner and a few non low calorie beers....it all adds up - especially if you are using calorie full mixers. Now I know if I want to drink, I have to work out or I will go over my calories for sure.
  • jesneverhome
    jesneverhome Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    BB2- I agree the alchohol adds up. One BLL is 110 calores x4 and I've had a meal that consists of nothing but beer. YIKES! I always tell people i run for the beer! No really, i try to run at least 25 miles a week to make up for my drinking binge. :drinker:
  • ingeborgv
    ingeborgv Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I agree with the alcohol being an eye-opener - I stayed booze free for six weeks in Jan/Feb, and what a difference that made to my weight loss! A true kick-start.

Other than that, the calorie content of flour tortillas. I am such a huge bread fan, and love tortillas... but have had to cut back on my tortilla allowance with dinner. More meat, less floury loveliness... *sobs*
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Everything has been an eye opener for me......For 35 years...I just ate what I wanted when I wanted and how I wanted........
    Now that I am working on my weight loss.......it is all so very overwhelming........
    The alcohol.....the soduim......and "diet" stuff not being good for you.....learning how fast food is made.......I could go on and on........

I got to take it one day at a time.....or I feel like I am getting over loaded to the point I could drown....
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options

I got to take it one day at a time.....or I feel like I am getting over loaded to the point I could drown....

That is the mantra that I keep saying to myself, "Just for Today". I even have a thread where I record my daily goals called "Just For Today"
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    BB2- I agree the alchohol adds up. One BLL is 110 calores x4 and I've had a meal that consists of nothing but beer. YIKES! I always tell people i run for the beer! No really, i try to run at least 25 miles a week to make up for my drinking binge. :drinker:

I'm right there with you....not running 25 miles a week, but the balance. :drinker:
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm happily married for 5 1/2 years together for 13 1/2 years and have a wonerful 11 year old child.
    I'm not 30 yet but I will be 29 in August and my goal is to get fit before 30. Hope I can still join.
    I started this weight loss journey January 10th with only 3lb loss :( not too excited about that but I'm continuing.
    Goal is 45lbs gone by August 8th, my 29th b-day!
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    33 (almost 34) married with 2 kids, 14 and 7. feel free to add me. :)
  • racergirl1991
    racergirl1991 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    37, Married, 4 kids (19,17,15,8).
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Great discussion from everyone, and as always welcome new members! :)

What's clear from everyone's response is one common theme ... "Look at what I was putting in my body?!"

however ... why can't wine be calorie free?? *sigh* :)
  • kath711
    kath711 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Eye openers: Portion size, especially with foods you consider healthier like brown rice and tortillas.
  • VenturaGurl
    VenturaGurl Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I was shocked to find the same thing...for a SALAD. I cringe at all of the times I thought I was making a healthy choice!!!!
  • VenturaGurl
    VenturaGurl Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 38, married for 15 years this month. I have an 8 year old daughter, Ashlynn and a 6 year old son, Colin. Would love to join you and make some new friends!!
    :wink:
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Question for the Day! =)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Q) What was one of your favorite trips/vacations that you've been on?

A for me) I (from Michigan) got to travel on business to San Jose for a week. Marceen (before we were married) was able to come with me too as they flew me out there the weekend before, so I had a good couple days to myself. Anyway, while there we tried to really take advantage of the time and spent a good deal of one day visiting a few different wineries ... one of them had a life jazz band playing outside with a spread of wine, cheese, and fresh breads, it was awesome!!! However, not just that, but the next day (and there is a story behind this) but we spend a bit of time on the road and headed to the Sequoia National Forest to see the park/trees/caves ... what an absolutely amazing trip!!! :)

So what's one of yours? I love to hear vacation stories! :)
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    "Q) What was one of your favorite trips/vacations that you've been on?"

Two years ago, my husband's work sent him to Honolulu for 10 days. I was 7 months pregnant at the time and had 3 young children, so I didn't think that I would be able to go. My Mom took our children and I went for the whole 10 days. It was amazing!! Because I was very pregnant, I didn't do a lot of the things that everyone said I should. We had an amazing Hotel room on the 18th floor with a balcony overlooking the beach. I spent a lot of time resting on that balcony watching whales while my husband was at work. After work and over the weekend we would go for long walks or go driving around the island. It was the last peace and quiet that I had had for a long time before or since:wink:
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Question for the Day! =)

Q) What was one of your favorite trips/vacations that you've been on?

At this point I would have to say our wedding. We live in Michigan as well. We got married in Vegas. We spent 5 nights there then rented a car and drove to Phoenix to hang out with some friends afterwards. It was a great trip. We had a lot of friends and family there to see us and hang out with.
  • trukkerdaddie
    trukkerdaddie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Same here, been married 12 years looking to make it to 50, lol.
  • spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    Wow this is a tough one. Of course our honeymoon, we took a cruise on Carnival to Mexico..very relaxing. Next would have to be a trip to Niagara Falls in Canada. Next would have to be when my sister in law and I went for a week to Vegas for a girls week. My favorite since the children were born would be our trips to disney world and the weeks we spend at Ft. Lauderdale. Believe it or not, the vacations to Disney World are actually more relaxing than Ft. Lauderdale because there is so much to keep the little ones entertained. When children are still young just the bus ride and monorail is an adventure so easy to keep them occupied without hearing "mommy, mommy, mommy!!" This year we are planning a Disney Cruise so we will have to see how it is with the kids on a cruise, keeping fingers crossed none of them get sea sick LOL.
  • scoops13
    scoops13 Posts: 31
    Options
    I have to admit that Disney World was and is my favorite trip. We took the kids for the first time two summers ago and went back last year and are going again this year. Each time we go we learn more about how to best work the trip. Each time was a blast although I must admit that we almost need another vacation to recover when we get back. Other than Disney my favorite trip is the beach. I grew up in Illinois so the closest we got to the beach was Lake Michigan. When we moved to Tennessee all of our friends thought we were crazy because we had never been. We try to take a trip (even if just for a few days camping) each year now.
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    The question of the day......

Mine is Jamaica....My husband took me there this past November for our 15th year wedding anniversary. It was amazing!!! We had time to reconnect as husband and wife....not mom and dad!!! We were totally disconnected from the rest of the world!!! I can wait for another 15 years....maybe I will get another great trip!!! LOL.....maybe I will get one sooner....but I doubt it!!!