NO FAST FOOD CHALLENGE - MARCH

Options

Replies

• JennyBoBenny
    Options
    I altered my fast food ticker today. Instead of counting the days I'm counting the actual meals. Because although it's dinner time where I usually give in to fast food, there are days where I am tempted to eat a burger for lunch (at work - like on Friday) or grab something for breakfast (like I was tempted to yesterday). So instead of allowing one slip up ruin my whole day's worth (if I do indeed slip up) I'm going to give myself credit for every single meal I cook for myself at home.

Already lost a pound! Woo hoo!!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Daily Inspiration for March 5, 2011
    Katie Jay, MSW

Identify and avoid your trigger foods.

Do you tell yourself one bite won't hurt? Sometimes one bite is just fine, but sometimes it isn't. You are the only person who can make that determination. The key is to find the balance between deprivation and indulgence. If you take a bite or two, walk away, and don't think about the food again for days, you're probably okay.

If, however, you have a bite and spend all of your free time thinking about the next bite, it's probably a trigger food that you should consider avoiding. If you don't avoid the trigger foods, one bite leads to another and another. Is it worth it? The new you says, "No, I want to live a full, healthy life. I will not go back to the old pain and suffering. I have a choice today."

Action for the day: List your trigger foods in your journal. Be brutally honest. Try to avoid your trigger foods just for today.
  • esquire2u
    esquire2u Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey. I'm new to the message boards on this site. But this challenge is precisely what I need. Fast food is not only blowing my weight out the water it's killing my budget. Going grocery shopping today. The only thing is although I can cook, I find it hard to think outside the normal realm of grilled chicken breast and salad, which gets old quickly. Any easy 30 minute healthy meal suggestions?
  • bellamia88
    bellamia88 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thank god i'm broke this month!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Hey. I'm new to the message boards on this site. But this challenge is precisely what I need. Fast food is not only blowing my weight out the water it's killing my budget. Going grocery shopping today. The only thing is although I can cook, I find it hard to think outside the normal realm of grilled chicken breast and salad, which gets old quickly. Any easy 30 minute healthy meal suggestions?

Omelets are so quick (my favorite is with egg beaters, spiniach, mushrooms, onions, and cheese and sometime TJ turkey bacon)

Any breakfast food is good for me for dinner including a bowl of cereal (I like Special K protien plus with a fruit, fiber one, Kashi Go Leans, any healthy cereal high in protien, especially if eating for dinner)

veggies and broiled fish on George Forman grill (frozen veggies are wonderful)

Lean cuisines with a veggie, salad, or sweet potato

At least once a month I will cook a soup on Sunday for the week. Some eat off it all week, but I freeze mines on by Wednesday because I ususally will not eat it the whole week. Once frozen take it out in the morning and ready to microwave when you get in.

I also cook lean meats over the weekend so all I have to do is make a veggie with it and a quick dinner.
  • jennyab
    jennyab Posts: 20
    Options
    none so far. I'm doing a natural detox diet for 14 days so obviously no FF.
  • JennyBoBenny
    Options
    Lost another .6 lbs this morning. I fully expect the scale to stop moving soon! :laugh: I think not eating crap has really allowed my body to say thank you and clean itself out. Plus who knows how much water weight this has been since my sodium has been drastically reduced!

Esquire: I tried something last night just to see if it was tasty enough, and it was so I'm going to make a bunch. Have you ever poached your chicken breasts? Put a few chicken breasts (boneless) in the bottom of a pot and cover with water (or broth if you like but that would add sodium I think) and some random spices and a bayleaf if you have it. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes then turn the heat off and let them sit in the hot water for another 20 minutes. It's so good. I like it way better than baked (juicier). You can then shred the meat with a fork or just chop it or whatever and apparantly it freezes really well like this in baggies. I'm going to do that so I can have cooked chicken on hand for whatever. Salads, tacos, sandwiches, pizza, just on the side even... whatever. CONVENIENCE!!! Woo hoo! :glasses:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Good job both Jenny's!!!

Hello Everyone,

Well it is Monday. How did you do last week? Even if you did not do so good, do not give up this week. You can do it! I am going strong. 6 days and no fast food. I have thought about it but I a determine to make it this month because then I will be use to keeping it up. Check in and let us know how it is going. Remember consistency is key not perfection.

Have a good week everyone!
  • Monisfit4life
    Monisfit4life Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Yup I am doing it too. I just announced it today so its funny that I just saw this post. Let's Do it!!!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    So far, so good.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    7 days no fast foods! :bigsmile:
  • mattyh21
    mattyh21 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Count me IN! But i am going to make it a little harder and throw Pizza under the bus by not eating it no matter where I am or who offers me a slice! Its grocery food for me, looks like im gonna be saving money! I will go until April 8th since i am getting started a little late. Oh and I am counting subway as fast food too, it is the biggest chain in the world now. I would say no cookies too but i got girl scout cookies and I cant say no to one or two of those...
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I have been wanting to try to cut out fast food for a while. I haven't gone though a drive thru for almost 2 weeks already so let's see if I can make it through March.
    But, for me, I will allow one slice of pizza per week. My fiance is also doing MFP, but he wants to gain a little weight and tone up and he loves pizza and it always smells so good. One slice with a salad won't be horrible and will satisfy my craving. I have said no to pizza 3 times in a row though in the last 10 days, so maybe I will make it without, but I need the cushion just in case :)
  • Sarahr73
    Options

A ricotta frittata is excellent, quick, and under 150 calories per serving. Here's the recipe I use (3 servings)...
    3 eggs
    1 c part skim ricotta
    2 tbsp chopped mint (optional)
    2-3 cloves fresh minced garlic
    1/2 tsp peppercorn
    1 tsp sea salt
    1 second spray Pam baking spray for the baking dish

Mix it all together, put in a 3 serving (about 4 inch) ramekin sprayed with Pam, and bake at 325 degrees for about 15-20 or until slighty golden around the edges. It is so delicous. If I don't use mint, I use italian herbs. I have grinders for italian herbs, peppercorn, and sea salt by McCormicks that I love so much. So few calories and you can adjust the coarseness. You can aslo dounle the recipe and make it in an 8 or 9 inch cake pan if you are making it for more people.
    And even if you have 2 servings, it's still under 300 calories!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options

A ricotta frittata is excellent, quick, and under 150 calories per serving. Here's the recipe I use (3 servings)...
    3 eggs
    1 c part skim ricotta
    2 tbsp chopped mint (optional)
    2-3 cloves fresh minced garlic
    1/2 tsp peppercorn
    1 tsp sea salt
    1 second spray Pam baking spray for the baking dish

Mix it all together, put in a 3 serving (about 4 inch) ramekin sprayed with Pam, and bake at 325 degrees for about 15-20 or until slighty golden around the edges. It is so delicous. If I don't use mint, I use italian herbs. I have grinders for italian herbs, peppercorn, and sea salt by McCormicks that I love so much. So few calories and you can adjust the coarseness. You can aslo dounle the recipe and make it in an 8 or 9 inch cake pan if you are making it for more people.
    And even if you have 2 servings, it's still under 300 calories!
    Thanks for recipe Sarah!

What is ramekin?
  • Sarahr73
    Options
    You are more than welcome for that recipe. It is very yummy and doesn't make you feel bloated. And it has eggs, one of my favorite foods!

To your quesyion, a ramekin is a type of baking dish. They come in all different sizes. They are round and can usually be found at Target, Walmart, and most food stores. Sometimes Flan or Creme Brule is cooked in them if that helps with picturing it. It would just be easier to use a smaller dish if you make the recipe as I listed, so whatever you have available will do too.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    ok, got it Sarah! Thanks again. Eggs is one of my favorite foods also. I will probably try it. I also love egg beaters. I use them whenever I need lower calories for the day.
  • JennyBoBenny
    Options
    Okay. :embarassed: I ate one of the four fast food meals I'm allowing myself for this month and I have to say I TOTALLY regret it! I went out for lunch with a coworker and we ended up at the foodcourt of the mall. It was Taco Tuesday and so we both ordered 2 soft tacos and some mexi fries. I just entered it in MFP and am SHOCKED at how many calories I consumed! Along with a non-fat mocha from Starbucks that I took back to the office, my lunch was 1600 calories! :noway: I feel awful!

My weakness with fast food has always been burgers and french fries so I didn't feel so guilty eating a couple of 1.29 soft tacos. But turns out, they're just as bad for you.

Maybe now I won't even bother with those other 3 fast food meals I've allowed myself a free pass for. I'm really worried about sabatoging my recent weight loss too. Geez. Never should have eaten that stuff. :sad:
  • llstrength
    llstrength Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I forgot to check in on Monday. So I didn't eat any fast food, but I did eat a piece of pizza, which i was trying to cut out. I only ate it because someone brought it in at work :( Should have said no though.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I forgot to check in on Monday. So I didn't eat any fast food, but I did eat a piece of pizza, which i was trying to cut out. I only ate it because someone brought it in at work :( Should have said no though.

That is OK. Work pizza is the worst. Because it is the cheapest thing to eat companies buy it, Just keep trying for the rest of the month!

I made it thru my 2nd Tuesday!! -- NO Popeyes special for $2.99