What do YOU put in your oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I have been having a cup of oatmeal with a cup of cereal in the morning.
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I make mine in a crock pot and make the whole weeks worth at one time. I usually add skim milk, water, apples cut up or applesauce and the end before I scoop it into containers I add ground flaxseed. Bob Red Mill Golden Flax Seed.
    Then in the morning I take one out of the fridge and either add peanut butter or a little honey and cinnamon. If I have berries of any kind I always use them for toppings instead.
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I cook a batch and then reheat portions throughout the week. When I reheat the oatmeal in the microwave I add baby spinach, an egg, and breakfast sausage link. I mix it all up (breaking up the sausage link too) and add hot sauce and soy sauce.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I like mine with a few dark chocolate chips!
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Craisins!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    flax and blueberries!
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I need to get on this oatmeal train.
  • improvstitute
    Options
    Vanilla almond milk, fresh blue berries and strawberries. Sometimes I use bananas instead of berries. It's the almond milk that makes it good!
  • maggieschuck
    Options
    I use all natural oats (no sodium) with water to keep the calories low (150 cal for 1/2 cup uncooked).

When I add item to my oats I add it before I cook it that way the flavor and sugars are released.

Trail mix, almonds, granola, apples, dried fruits, peanut butter and frozen berries.

You have to watch your sugar in fruits it can put you over your goal for the day.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Thanks for some great ideas.

I usually use bulk 5 grain oats from Winco. Add Dried Cherries while they are cooking. Right at the end I add pecans. When I serve it, I put a little margarine and Splenda Brown Sugar on top.
  • kianaik
    kianaik Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I always add a tablespoon of peanut butter. And then to that, either a bit of cinnamon or baking cocoa. The second kinda makes it like a no bake cookie. :smile:
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I cook a batch and then reheat portions throughout the week. When I reheat the oatmeal in the microwave I add baby spinach, an egg, and breakfast sausage link. I mix it all up (breaking up the sausage link too) and add hot sauce and soy sauce.
    This sounds awesome... I've been hesitant to try egg + oatmeal but I really want to give it a whirl! I need direction, folks! Please?
  • kimd1974
    kimd1974 Posts: 113
    Options
    Sugar free maple syrup and 1 tsp. of reduced fat p.butter
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    sugar & margarine - sure see some interesting choices here; some I might try. I'm really about keeping it to the basics
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    This sounds awesome... I've been hesitant to try egg + oatmeal but I really want to give it a whirl! I need direction, folks! Please?

I also am trying to wrap my mind around putting eggs in my oatmeal.....like....do you take the eggs and scramble them and add them? Or add the oats? It just doesn't make sense in my head lol :tongue:

I tried adding some protein powder to my oatmeal and it was pretty good. I use unsweetened almond milk to cook it...and add either berries or bananas...and if it needs a little bit more sweetness, I put a teaspoon of agave nectar in. :wink:
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    you can add chia seeds for protein and omegas with negligible calories. I add a splash of milk and a tsp of brown sugar, cinnamon and sometimes walnuts . Also I mix it up using steel cut oats instead of the flat oats YUM
  • nmoreland
    nmoreland Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get myself to eat oatmeal, but I can't get past the texture of it. I will try some of the suggestions here and see what happens

Any ideas (other then adding nuts) that makes it overall not too mushy?
  • arwamya
    arwamya Posts: 304
    Options
    Such yummy ideas..and i was stuck with boring pb and cashews in oatmeals
  • DivaDLB
    DivaDLB Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I put non-dairy creamer (did that by accident thinking I was using sugar), a handful of dried cherries, dried cranberries, almonds, walnuts and pecans, and a tablespoon of brown sugar. No butter, no milk
  • DivaDLB
    DivaDLB Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get myself to eat oatmeal, but I can't get past the texture of it. I will try some of the suggestions here and see what happens

Any ideas (other then adding nuts) that makes it overall not too mushy?

I use the quaker oats from the big container, I cook mine in the microwave for one minute. Stir and then for another 30-45 depending on how much water I put in. Comes out perfect.